PDA

View Full Version : Player Help How to distribute my stats? (archer)

Voidstar01
2019-07-25, 09:32 PM
So I planed a build like this: Ranger 6/ peregrine runner 1/ cragtop archer 5/ peregrine runner 8 (the weird peregrine runner split is because I need to be able to have 10 ranks in climb to qualify for cragtop archer. I'm playin a Goliath, 28 point buy. I was originally planning to distribute my stats like this:

Str: 10(14)
Dex: 18(16)
Con: 12(14)
Int: 10 (same)
wis: 10 (same)
Cha: 10( same)

however i realised that diplomacy was a nessecary for, and became a class skill with, peregrine runner. So now i'm considering taking two points from charisma and adding them to intelligence, so i can max Diplomacy over time once the cap increases. But the -1 to Charisma would lower my diplomacy checks, so is i worth it? Or would i be better off pumping the extra stats into strength to increase damage?

Kayblis
2019-07-25, 09:57 PM
At what level you're starting play? That's important for stat distribution, as the level up bonuses can be used to round odd stats. In the case you're beginning at levels 4~6, I'd even suggest getting base Dex to 17 so you can raise other stats. Strength is not a bad option here, as just 2 points will net you a respectable 16 score with racial mods.

In general, skill points are more useful than base stat mods. By level 8, you'll have +11 from ranks alone. If you're not planning on using Charisma for anything other than Diplomacy, the extra skill points will help you more than the 1 mod point from the stat. You can also supplement skills with items that grant Competence bonuses, so you shouldn't invest stat points just to get a small bonus on a single skill.

Ellyth
2019-07-25, 11:03 PM
Yeah, unless you are focusing on Charisma, it’s not going to matter much for Diplomacy checks in the long run. Just putting points in is the way to go.

I’d definitely bump up that Constitution; a 14 base is really nice when you have a +2 race. I probably wouldn’t worry too much about Strength, though; I mean, it doesn’t hurt, but it doesn’t help a ton either.

RNightstalker
2019-07-26, 05:04 PM
I would agree to swap out ST for IQ. The racial ST bonus will make up for it.