PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [Roleplay] How dumb is 22 int, 3 wis, 5 cha?

Zhentarim
2019-07-26, 09:39 AM
In pathfinder, how would 22 int, 3 wis, 5 cha be played? Is that “tarzan-speak” stupid?

Gallowglass
2019-07-26, 09:53 AM
In pathfinder, how would 22 int, 3 wis, 5 cha be played? Is that “tarzan-speak” stupid?

locution (ability and fluency in speech) is improved by intelligence, so, with a 22 intelligence, this person would be very well-spoken and have a large vocabulary. The problem with this person would be not knowing when to keep their mouth shut (3 wisdom) , often saying derogatory or inflammatory things without realizing the impact on others or the effect on how others view him and would often be seen to be using his large vocabulary to try to appear better or smarter than others, thus making him unlikable (5 charisma). He would not be invited to parties.

Eldonauran
2019-07-26, 09:55 AM
Having a 3 in any stat means that you are just BARELY above the thresh hold for a playable character. Your ability to learn and reason seem to be immense but your wisdom and charisma ... Well, think of an idiot savant that can hardly differentiate between their own internal world and reality, and is incredibly challenged at communicating their own ideas. You would exist in reality, of course, and can tell the difference between what isnt real and what is, but you would have invented your own rules and explanations for everything around you. You would seem eloquent in your own mind, but everyone else would not understand what you are trying to say most of the time, or take it the most wrong way possible.

That's my take on it at least.

heavyfuel
2019-07-26, 10:09 AM
He's basically Sheldon Cooper, but a bit more extreme. Sheldon's mental ability scores (in the early seasons at least) are likely something along the lines of 20 Int, 6 Wis, 6 Cha. That is, he's really smart, but he's easily dupped, easily intimidated, cannot convince people that he is right, has difficulty making friends, and often says inappropriate things.

With Wisdom 3, your character is like that, but even more of a fool. I'd roleplay him as extremely naive. Believe anything and everything. If you're ever intimidated, give in immediately. You need a very trustworthy babysitter to just be in a social setting without being taken advantage of.

denthor
2019-07-26, 11:24 AM
I want an orc galley is a post I really did find in my profile. Read my first post then find down a few where someone translates what I said. That is a wisdom example.

An appeal to friendship gets an automatic will help.

Not noticing when other go around and talk behind your back. They have 5 different conversations with people in the room,you have no idea why the like or hate your plan.

The above is all wisdom

Charisma 5

I am right you are wrong there is only one way to do things mine.

No shades of grey. This is wisdom as well.

You do not have feeling he is dead nothing I can do about get over it.

liquidformat
2019-07-26, 11:50 AM
honestly your best real life example is an autistic savant, extraordinarily smart but doesn't function socially and very nave.

Godskook
2019-07-26, 12:06 PM

Int affects linguistic ability, knowledge, crafting ability, skillfulness, etc. So at 22 Int, one would be an expert craftsman, a knowledgable academic, or skilled translator. Superhumanly so, talent-wise.

But at 3 Wis, you have no force of will, no ability to sense the true motives of others, your situational awareness is trash, and you have no empathy for animals. If you treat them properly, it's because you were -taught- to do so, not because you understand them.

And at 5 Cha, you have no tact, no sense of how to shade the truth, an inability to lead, or contest another person's attempt to lead you.

Such a character would almost always have an undercurrent of bitterness towards their less intelligent "peers" who somehow enjoy markedly more success in most endeavours outside the purely factual. They'd have few friends, and either wouldn't care(think the Grinch), or treasure those few friends DEEPLY(House).

A less dramatic stat array would be a fair representation for Vanya Hargreeves of Umbrella Academy. She's obviously quite smart, but she's a loner, unable to find much happiness for herself, and has few friends. Even her violin skills are the result of study, lacking innate talent.

House of the same-titled tv Show would be similar, as his leadership ability is always shown as being a hodge-podge of compensations, largely because he's so brilliant, people want to work with him regardless of his incapability at social decorum. Over multiple seasons, he has but one friend, and is even an ass to him. He can't maintain a relationship, etc, etc.

Biggus
2019-07-26, 12:15 PM
Wisdom represents "willpower, common sense, perception and intuition". So somebody with very low Wisdom is easily manipulated and oblivious to much of what's going on around them. Combined with very high Intelligence the lack of intuition strongly suggests the person who makes all decisions based on logic, but often fails to understand context and misses subtleties which render their "logical" conclusion wrong or useless.

Charisma represents "force of personailty, persuasiveness, personal magnetism, ability to lead, and physical attractiveness". Combined with very high intelligence, this means the person often understands things others don't but finds it very difficult to get anyone to listen to them, because they're dull, abrasive or submissive.

Putting all three together, as others have said the most likely character type is the Sheldon Cooper-style autistic savant, although other types are possible, such as someone who's painfully shy and withdrawn or extremely obnoxious and self-centred.

DragonsAion
2019-07-26, 01:55 PM
Have you ever seen the movie "The Cube"? With those stats your basically the Disabled/special character.

Zhentarim
2019-07-26, 04:50 PM
Have you ever seen the movie "The Cube"? With those stats your basically the Disabled/special character.

Do you mean “Kazan”?

Jay R
2019-07-27, 10:22 AM
Note also that WIS 3 affects his Spot check, so he's not likely to notice who has come up and is listening to what he's saying.

This could either be a person whom he is currently insulting, or a scout for the enemy while he's outlining his brilliant plan to defeat them.

Particle_Man
2019-07-27, 11:27 AM
Maybe the scientist guy that shows up on The Simpsons now and then?

Zhentarim
2019-07-27, 02:18 PM
Maybe the scientist guy that shows up on The Simpsons now and then?

I could see it.

I’m building a large winged race of engineers, philosophers, scientists, and academics who offended the gods by their hubris and are now cursed with -4 wis, -2 cha, and +2 int, representing their disconnection from the divine. In addition, they are cursed to respond to channeled energy as if they were undead, since the gods don’t even want their followers to help the race.
http://i.picasion.com/resize89/b64d9cd625d18f8071e211447b3fc26d.jpg
Since they are large, they get an inherent +2 bonus to strength and an inherent -2 penalty to dexterity. Stereotypically, adventurers are magi, alchemists, and eldritch scoundrels, but intelligence-based full casters and full bab classes are not unheard of. Clerics, oracles, and sorcerers are nowhere to be found.

Probably going to add “advanced con”, “advanced str” and “advanced int” as well as spell resistance equal to 11 plus their character level to show they are doing fine without the gods and have even warded themselves against further divine meddling.

Conradine
2019-07-27, 03:42 PM
I once played a Chaotic Neutral Fighter with Int 13, Wis 3 and Cha 15.

Brash, impulsive, ferocious, totally reckless. Very sure of himself , arrogant and intimidating. Prone to battle frenzy and noticing almost nothing exept the fight, "blinded by bloodlust". No self control, a glutton and an heavy drinker.

Zhentarim
2019-07-27, 05:29 PM
I once played a Chaotic Neutral Fighter with Int 13, Wis 3 and Cha 15.

Brash, impulsive, ferocious, totally reckless. Very sure of himself , arrogant and intimidating. Prone to battle frenzy and noticing almost nothing exept the fight, "blinded by bloodlust". No self control, a glutton and an heavy drinker.

sounds fun at parties

Max Caysey
2019-07-27, 07:14 PM

My guess would be an autistic savant like Rainman

Spore
2019-07-28, 04:19 AM
Since you pmed me, Zhent, to critique here, I will both judge this concept AND the concept of Low Wis/High Int/Low Cha

I feel low Wis/low Cha on the same character is reasonable within limits. As others pointed out the result is most likely an easily distracted uncharismatic person that is not fit to be a PC. It would make a great NPC (this is our archmage, he is specially talented. But we keep him in his tower for his own safety.)

Imagine: A Int 22/Wis 3 wizard would cast Fly to cross a crowded street. An Int 22/Cha 5 wizard would belittle people for not knowing the semantic difference between draconian and draconic. But that is already downplaying it.

Wis 3 is probably closer to lucid daydreaming and insanity as displayed in movies, so hearing voices, assuming the veil between the worlds has broken. Our DM had a great NPC with Wis 5 who basically traded away his insanity for more powers from the eldritch gods (he was powerful but he played out Wis 5 perfectly, as his combat tactics were abyssal so easy to defeat).

And contrary to my interesting example above is probably a meek and silent type. Someone who thinks so little of themselves they wont talk to anyone for days. Obviously a terrible concept to RP. Cha 5 is not "evil-but-charismatic". Low charisma creatures have a vague sense of self (trolls, animals etc.) and humanoids have serious self-doubt (who am I? what do I stand for?).

So in sum, a TERRIBLE concept in all but the most tabletop games. They CAN work with much work in PbP and PbEM games (where you can write about the character's inner monologue) but you have to decide you want to go the extra mile.

I could see it.

I’m building a large winged race of engineers, philosophers, scientists, and academics who offended the gods by their hubris and are now cursed with -4 wis, -2 cha, and +2 int, representing their disconnection from the divine. In addition, they are cursed to respond to channeled energy as if they were undead, since the gods don’t even want their followers to help the race.
[snip]
Since they are large, they get an inherent +2 bonus to strength and an inherent -2 penalty to dexterity. Stereotypically, adventurers are magi, alchemists, and eldritch scoundrels, but intelligence-based full casters and full bab classes are not unheard of. Clerics, oracles, and sorcerers are nowhere to be found.

Probably going to add “advanced con”, “advanced str” and “advanced int” as well as spell resistance equal to 11 plus their character level to show they are doing fine without the gods and have even warded themselves against further divine meddling.

First thing's first, why winged bulls/minotaurs? These imply a HEAVY nod towards classic Greek mythology which you simply do not adress here. Then races have to at least be somewhat in relation to other ones. Your choices are very black and white, which leaves not much for the actual players to decide. I would soften up on your penalties and benefits.

Plus you want a creation mythos for such a fantastical race. I'm going for the Cattle of Helios (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle_of_Helios#cite_note-1) (insert token sun god of your setting). The Cattle of [insert sun god] were slain by an expy of another god to feed his kind. A few of them fled, swearing to never be the playball of divine forces again. They devolved into the Sunborn, large bipedal bovine creatures.

Attributes: +2 Str, -2 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Int (Sunborn are muscular and intelligent but lack the grace of smaller creatures)
Type: Sunborn are monstrous humanoids
Medium: Sunborn are Large creatures and thus have a -1 penalty to attack rolls and armor class. Their reach with melee weapons increases by 5 feet.
Base Speed: Sunborn have a base speed of 30 feet.
Languages: Sunborn begin play speaking Common and Giant. Sunborn with high Intelligence scores can choose any language except secret ones.
Natural attack: Sunborn gain access to a gore attack appropriate for their size as a primary natural attack.
Natural Armor: Their thick hides provide Sunborn with protection, they gain +1 to natural armor.
Sprinter: Sunborn gain a +10 foot racial bonus to their speed when using the charge, run, or withdraw actions.
Darkvision: 60 feet.
Divine Scorn: Sunborn dislike the use of divine magic. They gain a morale bonus of +2 against divine spells.

Alternate racial traits:
Magical Protection: Some Sunborn protect themselves against divine spells even further. They gain SR 5+character level vs. divine spells. This replaces Divine Scorn and Natural Armor.
Erudite Focus: magically inclined sunborn gain a +2 bonus to concentration checks and to rolls to overcome spell resistance. Further they treat winds as one step less severe when casting spells. This replaces natural attack and sprinter.
Divine Outcast: A few find the scorn against the divine illogical and leave their enclaves to pursue what has been lost to their kind ages ago. These Sunborn never gain their racial bonus to intelligence nor the divine scorn ability. They do however treat their wisdom and charisma score as two higher when determining to cast divine spells.