PDA

View Full Version : arcane spells to increase size besides enlarge person and polymorph

daremetoidareyo
2019-07-26, 05:33 PM
Title says what im looking for.

Vizzerdrix
2019-07-26, 05:35 PM
I know the wu jen gets one. Shame I don't remember the name at the moment.

DrMotives
2019-07-26, 05:36 PM
"Giant size" is the wu jen one, AFAIK.

Venger
2019-07-26, 05:37 PM
top of my head

giant size (the wu jen one)
steal size
draconic polymorph
pao
shapechange
greater enlarge person

will add more on consulting my library. are you a chameleon or something? any limits on what you need, or just any arcane is good?

daremetoidareyo
2019-07-26, 05:47 PM
top of my head

giant size (the wu jen one)
steal size
draconic polymorph
pao
shapechange
greater enlarge person

will add more on consulting my library. are you a chameleon or something? any limits on what you need, or just any arcane is good?

greater enlarge works! thanks.

ayvango
2019-07-26, 07:07 PM
Sizing spells are source of my unfading sorrow. I rarely play humanoids jumping to templates at every possibility. Otherworldly elf is the default choice. So I have real trouble changing my size: there are enlarge/reduce person (only humanoids) and reduce object. And nothing about reducing non-humanoids. It so annoying.

Venger
2019-07-26, 07:18 PM
Sizing spells are source of my unfading sorrow. I rarely play humanoids jumping to templates at every possibility. Otherworldly elf is the default choice. So I have real trouble changing my size: there are enlarge/reduce person (only humanoids) and reduce object. And nothing about reducing non-humanoids. It so annoying.

expansion/compression work regardless of type. they're a popular alternative.

ayvango
2019-07-26, 09:25 PM
Non-classical casters seems foreign and ill suited for common setting and mechanics. So in our tables psionics are banned together with Tome of Magic, Magic of Incarnum and Tome of Battle, and all eberron-related stuff that works with dragonmarks and action points.

Particle_Man
2019-07-26, 09:31 PM
But you said you play an otherworldly elf. Wouldn’t they have nonstandard for the setting foreign magic by default?

Kayblis
2019-07-26, 10:05 PM
Non-classical casters seems foreign and ill suited for common setting and mechanics. So in our tables psionics are banned together with Tome of Magic, Magic of Incarnum and Tome of Battle, and all eberron-related stuff that works with dragonmarks and action points.

Is it a consistent ban, or is it just "we don't use new mechanics"? You lump initiators as casters when they're clearly martials with a better system. You also seem fine with pretty outlandish stuff, like Otherworldly anything.

Jay R
2019-07-27, 10:05 AM
Don't forget Alter Self. It's only one size category, but it exists.

Miss Disaster
2019-07-27, 10:10 AM
One of my favorite optimization-challenge polymorph spells is Fiendform. Note: there are five versions of it 3.5 rules. I believe the most recent version of it was from the Spell Compendium.

It's an awesome spell. Especially for system mastery players who like to deep-dive into all the bestiaries.

Anthrowhale
2019-07-27, 02:58 PM
At the same level as Greater Enlarge Person is Alternate Source Righteous Might which trades duration for more size bonuses.

Biggus
2019-07-27, 06:06 PM
You lump initiators as casters when they're clearly martials with a better system.

I have to disagree with this. Some of the abilities in ToB are clearly magical: summon an elemental, turn invisible, teleport, heal yourself, become incorporeal, make your sword catch fire. In the introduction to the Swordsage class, it even says that many of their abilities are "overtly supernatural or magical in nature".

Thurbane
2019-07-28, 09:53 PM
expansion/compression work regardless of type. they're a popular alternative.

There's also some item-based options:

Ring of Growth (SS p.54, 1800gp) 1/day, up to 9 minutes
Ring of Reduction (LoM p.130, 20000gp) unlimited duration
Ring of Shrinking (SS p.54, 3600gp) 1/day, up to 9 minutes

DwarvenWarCorgi
2019-07-29, 08:58 AM
Improved Enlarge and Improved Reduce from Savage Species are non-person specific