PDA

View Full Version : Higher Level Casting [Feat]

Reinboom
2007-10-10, 12:53 PM
Before I use this, I need any opinions that are available. Also, any ways to better word this would also be appreciated. :smallsmile:

Ritual Spell
Prerequisites: Ability to cast 3rd level or higher spells
Benefit: When you obtain ritual spell choose two spells of one level higher than your maximum spell level that is normally available to your class. These spells are added to your spells known list if you are spontaneous spell caster, you may prepare these spells without referring to a spellbook if you are a wizard, or otherwise have access to these spells. The spells chosen for ritual spell are considered one level lower and their casting time is increased by 12 hours. The spell also gains a material component of ritual supplies reflective of your spellcasting class of 50 gp per level of the new spell in addition to its normal material components and an experience cost of 600. Upon finishing the casting of the spell, you are left fatigued.
Special: You may forgo the XP cost with the assistance of three other casters who are capable of casting third level spells of the appropriate type of either arcane or divine. These casters must be present for the entire ritual.
Special: You may not apply metamagic to a ritual spell.
Special: Whenever your maximum spell level increases, you may replace one of your ritual spells with a new spell a level higher.

Human Paragon 3
2007-10-10, 12:57 PM
100 GP and a feat is a pretty low cost for casting higher level magic. It should have a GP cost per spell level, and probably have an XP requirement as well.

Edit: I didn't see the casting time at first, so thats a bit better. Still, I think the costs should be raised a bit.

TO_Incognito
2007-10-10, 03:28 PM
Even with the cssting time increase, this feat still gives players early access to game-altering spells like teleport, meaning it would likely screw up most DM's campaigns.

Ecalsneerg
2007-10-10, 03:30 PM
Even with the cssting time increase, this feat still gives players early access to game-altering spells like teleport, meaning it would likely screw up most DM's campaigns.

But as a hombrew feat, they would be able to take it in their stride more easily, as it needs to be run by them first.

Reinboom
2007-10-10, 05:10 PM
So, perhaps make it 100 gp per new level of the spell?
So spending 400 gp, a level 4 spell slot, and 12 hours to teleport at level 8.. This doesn't seam that powerful to me. Nor does a 12 hour gate, or similar. Are there any other specific power spells I'm overlooking? The only issue I can currently think of is programmed amnesia.

Abjurer
2007-10-11, 02:28 PM
You should specify that these spells cannot be used to make magical items, like scrolls or potions.

And that you must be completely concentrated on the spellcasting for the entire casting time, maybe even making concentration or spellcraft checks every hour or so, or just one at the beginning.

You could have it leave you fatigued, too. Ritualistic spellcasting is taxing work.

Reinboom
2007-10-11, 05:11 PM
Alright, I rewrote it a bit with a few select suggestions. :smallsmile: