PDA

View Full Version : Ring of Spell Storing + Wish = What Casting Time?

dragoeniex
2019-07-26, 07:54 PM
I'm looking for an interaction check here. If someone were to use a ring of spell storing to hold a Wish (Hallow)- fifth level spell, usual cast time of 24 hours- what happens? Does the ring's wearer cast Hallow as an action, since it was pre-cast using Wish? Does the attempt to store the spell fizzle because Wish itself would not fit before a lower level spell was chosen? Or does the casting work as a usual, non-Wish Hallow?

The ring states "The spell uses the slot level, spell save DC, spell Attack bonus, and Spellcasting Ability of the original caster, but is otherwise treated as if you cast the spell." I'd lean toward this translating to "-as if you had cast Hallow" instead of "-as if you had cast Wish (Hallow)," but I'm curious if anyone has actually needed to look into this for their group before.

We're going into an endgame, level 20 battle soon with a mass of undead and their primordial overlord, so having a single action Hallow on-tap would be a great boon. Not as devastating as Wish (Forbiddance) was in the last dungeon, given this will be a sprawling fight, but pretty dang helpful.

The DM tends to lean Rule of Cool at times, and I'd really like to avoid cheesing more than is reasonable. This is also going to be a highly lethal fight, however, and I'd like to help my friends die as little as possible.

Thoughts?

ProsecutorGodot
2019-07-26, 07:58 PM
I would argue that you can't use Wish to fill a Ring of Spell storing.

The spell you are casting is Wish, a 9th level spell. Wish has the effect of duplicating the effects of a lower level spell, it doesn't cast that spell.

JNAProductions
2019-07-26, 08:01 PM
I would argue that you can't use Wish to fill a Ring of Spell storing.

The spell you are casting is Wish, a 9th level spell. Wish has the effect of duplicating the effects of a lower level spell, it doesn't cast that spell.

Yeah, that's my read of the situation.

Darc_Vader
2019-07-26, 08:31 PM
Of course, if any spell is going to be able to break the rules, it would be Wish.

ProsecutorGodot
2019-07-26, 08:45 PM
Of course, if any spell is going to be able to break the rules, it would be Wish.

It already breaks the rules by letting you cast spells with casting times longer than 1 action with an action.

The way I see this interaction at best is a "clever" but non functional use of the spell and magic item. At worst I see it as trying to create a refillable and reusable ring of wishing with a relatively accessible magic item.

The only thing stopping you from simply casting Wish and choosing Hallow on the spot without the ring is that you want to save your 9th level spell slot, in effect having two 9th level spell slots to cast in a day.

The real solution: Play a Deep Gnome. Being a Deep Gnome would (DM willing) allow you to craft a Spell Gem, which can hold a spell of 5th level with a casting time of 1 action or 1 minute or longer casting time. Hallow can be stored in a Jade and cast as an action at a later date.

If you really want to overachieve, a Diamond Spell Gem holds 9th level spells. The 50 week crafting time and gold cost equivalent to a small kingdoms treasury will be worth the time questing for proper ritual reagents like the still beating heart of a Pit Fiend and the down feather of a Solar. You'll have a borderline Artifact level creation that will allow you to transcend mortal limits and cast Wish twice a day(every other day).

DarkKnightJin
2019-07-27, 12:34 AM
I would allow it. Once.
The ring will accept the Hallow spell from Wish, but it will show cracks, as it's trying to hold on to the immense power.
Then, as Hallow is cast from the ring, the ring will crack at the end of the casting.

You have your moment of cool, and you are informed that the DM (me, in this case) isn't opposed to cool plans. But there are limits.

dragoeniex
2019-07-27, 01:16 AM
Thanks for the responses, everyone! I'm leaning toward not bringing it up, or at least not bringing it up until post-game because I think I might get the "yes" when it's not warranted. It's an interesting idea, and the mechanics of the spells and items being discussed do make me wonder, but it's like others have said; Wish and the ring are already powerful and flexible enough on their own.

As much as it's a cool thought, I don't need a power bump "gimme" that makes Wish better. It sounds like these two things haven't been used in conjunction much, and that's probably the wise decision.

I didn't know spell gems were a thing, actually! There's no way we'll have time in-story to craft anything we're not already trying to craft, as the BBEG is coming in a couple weeks max in-universe, and I super don't want two 9th level spells a day that are cast at 9th level. If anyone gets to do that, it should be our wizard. But that's a plot element that could be fun to thread into future campaigns with lower-level gems, perhaps!

ProsecutorGodot
2019-07-27, 02:57 AM
Thanks for the responses, everyone! I'm leaning toward not bringing it up, or at least not bringing it up until post-game because I think I might get the "yes" when it's not warranted. It's an interesting idea, and the mechanics of the spells and items being discussed do make me wonder, but it's like others have said; Wish and the ring are already powerful and flexible enough on their own.

As much as it's a cool thought, I don't need a power bump "gimme" that makes Wish better. It sounds like these two things haven't been used in conjunction much, and that's probably the wise decision.

I didn't know spell gems were a thing, actually! There's no way we'll have time in-story to craft anything we're not already trying to craft, as the BBEG is coming in a couple weeks max in-universe, and I super don't want two 9th level spells a day that are cast at 9th level. If anyone gets to do that, it should be our wizard. But that's a plot element that could be fun to thread into future campaigns with lower-level gems, perhaps!

Spell Gems are very powerful items, even low levels ones are very useful. Reason being, they're only required to be attuned to when you're storing the spell. Once they're charged you can break attunement and hand it off to whoever you like, or keep it for yourself.

You are limited to only being able to fill the gem once per day however and the magic behind crafting is a closely guarded secret of the Deep Gnomes.

You can find the information for them in the Out of the Abyss Adventure module if you haven't already found it. My description was fairly abridged.

Keravath
2019-07-27, 07:29 AM
I would think you should be able to cast wish with the goal of placing the Hallow spell in a ring of spell storing and it should work except that since this is not one of the standard uses of wish you would have to roll whether you would ever be able to cast wish again.

Unless desperate for that particular spell in the ring, I don't think the trade off would be worthwhile but I don't see any reason to disallow it. It would be easier than wishing for a ring of spell storing with the Hallow spell already in place (which would also be an option).

Chronos
2019-07-27, 07:48 AM
If you had Hallow on your spell list, you could put that directly into a Ring of Spell Storing, right? Assuming that's the case (don't feel like pulling out my DMG), then you could also Wish a Hallow into the ring. Wish duplicates the effect of the spell. Normally, the effect of the spell is that a place becomes holy yadda yadda. But if you're handling a Ring of Spell Storing and using its command word etc., then the effect of a spell is instead that the spell becomes stored in the ring. So you'd now have a Ring of Spell Storing holding a Hallow, just as if it were put in there using the Hallow spell. You can re-fill the ring quickly, but the stored spell is still Hallow, so it'd still take all day to cast it out of the ring.