PDA

View Full Version : Some new water grafts?

Ilgivan
2007-10-10, 12:54 PM
Hey all!

I'm looking to build something for a level twenty arena series, which will include a water battle, among other things.

Now, I have most of what I'm looking for, namely the prestige class based around elemental grafts and three water grafts, but my books are missing a few vital components. Namely, water grafts for the legs or skin. And I mean I can't find ANY. Not even ones I don't like.

SO...

I was wondering if any of you would care to help me convert this:

Slippery Skin [Water]
Your skin becomes wet like a water elemental's.* Your skin has been infused with the power of water, making you more slippery and harder to strike.
Graft Location: Skin.
Description: Your skin has taken on a smoother and more
silvery-clear appearance, such that you look like you are partially
formed of water.
The aroma of fresh rain surrounds you
whenever you are struck in battle.
Activation: Always and forever
Effect: Maybe some sort of defense against fire and water, a weakness to electric and cold,
bonus on escaping grapples, maybe some defense against bludgeoning and slashing (which don't work underwater too good)
Construction: Elemental Grafter, somethingsomethingsomething
Graft Donor: Water something
Graft Sacrifice: -4 on climb checks?* Electric/cold weakness?
Price: a reasonable number

To something more resembling this:

Removed. Wasn't sure if it was OGC, and so now that people have the right idea, I've vanished it.

And also flesh this out to fill the same format and be more rulesylike and less brokentype, and possibly more sensemaking, preferably with realnumbers:

Sea Legs ([#],000 GP, -[#] hp, -[#] Jump Checks)
When you step onto any body of water deeper than you are tall, you may choose to activate this graft, which causes your legs to take on the appearance of pillars of water and allows you to walk across the surface of the water as though under the effect of Water Walk.* This may be turned off at will at any time, causing you to drop into the water and immediately sink to a depth equal to one quarter your swim speed, or five feet per 30 pounds if you do not have a swim speed.* You may take a swim check DC 10+ 1/5 feet dropped to instead drop to a height conducive to treading water.* If your head breaks the surface of the water you may reactivate this graft, bringing your feet up to the surface immediately.* Additionally, any time you are in contact with a body of water larger than yourself, all of your movement types gain an additional ten feet to their base speeds, and you gain a +[#] to balance checks.* However, the process weakens your legs slightly, giving you a permanent -[#] to jump checks.

So far for numbers (in the top line, at least) I've got (25,000 GP, -2 hp, -4 Jump) but I don't know if that's reasonable.

I also KNOW that the bit about dropping into the water is bad numbers, but I don't know what would be good numbers.

FoeHammer
2007-10-10, 03:55 PM
OK *cracks knuckles*

Slick Skin [Water]
Your skin is infused with elemental water making it slippery and wet
Graft Location: Skin
Description: Your skin takes on a moist, flowing appearance, and you are wet to the touch. Every action you take causes you to drip slightly. Whenever you are struck in battle the aroma of seawater surrounds you.
Activation: Always active
Effects: Immunity to Water, Damage Resistance Fire/15 Bludgeoning/15, You gain a +2 bonus on Grapple checks. Whenever you enter a body of water larger than you, you (and any equipment) can turn into water. Doing so gives you 100 ft movement (perfect) and a +30 swim check. Creatures that pass through a square you have occupied within the last minute must make a Reflex save 5 to avoid slipping (losing DEX bonus to AC for 1d4 rounds)
Construction: Elemental grafter, Drown spell, 200 xp, 2,000 gp, 3 days.
Graft Donor: Vial of water from an Elder Water elemental.
Graft Sacrifice: -5 on climb and grapple checks. Vulnerability electricity/15, cold/15. If you take more than 1/2 of your max HP in cold or electricity damage you are immobile for 1d6 rounds (either frozen or paralyzed). People tracking you get a +5.
Price:5,000 gp

I'll get to Sea legs soon.

Ilgivan
2007-10-11, 08:35 AM
Awesome!

Minor note though, if you're both increasing AND decreasing grapple, that seems a little silly. Maybe switching that bonus over to escape artist?

Also, minor quibble, It would be ER15:Fire, not DR Fire/15

At least, if I'm understanding these rules right.

FoeHammer
2007-10-11, 03:42 PM
I meant that you couldn't grapple effectivly, but that makes more sense.

Slick Skin [Water]
Description: Your skin takes on a moist, flowing appearance, and you are wet to the touch. Every action you take causes you to drip slightly. Whenever you are struck in battle the aroma of seawater surrounds you.
Effects: Immunity to Water, Damage Resistance Fire/15 Bludgeoning/15, You gain a +2 bonus on Use Rope checks. Whenever you enter a body of water larger than you, you (and any equipment) can turn into water. Doing so gives you 100 ft movement (perfect) and a +30 swim check. Creatures that pass through a square you have occupied within the last minute must make a Reflex save 5 to avoid slipping (losing DEX bonus to AC for 1d4 rounds)
Graft Sacrifice: -5 on climb and grapple checks. Vulnerability electricity/15, cold/15. If you take more than 1/2 of your max HP in cold or electricity damage you are immobile for 1d6 rounds (either frozen or paralyzed). People tracking you get a +5.

That better?

Eighth_Seraph
2007-10-11, 03:58 PM
It looks good, but I think the Damage Resistance is a bit quirky. First off, You can't have Damage Resistance to fire. You can have Fire Resistance 15, which I'm pretty sure is what you meant. Damage Reduction applies to physical damage.

Also, there is no such thing as damage reduction to a single type of damage (though I'm personally of the opinion that there should be), and resistance to bludgeoning damage makes little since for a water-base. DR 15/Bludgeoning makes complete sense, though, since slashing and piercing have little impact on water.

Those are the only two actual problems, while I have no idea why the graft grants Use Rope +2. I second the call for a bonus to Escape Artist to top this thing off. As this stands, the graft is extremely powerful (DR is always useful) for 5,000 gp. It is very good-looking and flavorful, but could use some touching up. Nicely done, despite my naturally grouchy review.

FoeHammer
2007-10-11, 04:21 PM
Oh man i can't believe I did that! I've been sick for the past week and I just went around the normal routine and I'm totally wiped out. Anyway...

Slick Skin [Water]
Effects: Immunity to Water, Damage Reduction Bludgeoning/15 Slashing/15,Fire Resistance 15, You gain a +2 bonus on Escape Artist checks. Whenever you enter a body of water larger than you, you (and any equipment) can turn into water. Doing so gives you 100 ft movement (perfect) and a +30 swim check. Creatures that pass through a square you have occupied within the last minute must make a Reflex save 5 to avoid slipping (losing DEX bonus to AC for 1d4 rounds)

Anything else I missed? And what do mean by "there is no such thing as damage reduction to a single type of damage " I'm pretty sure that you can have DR of Bludgeoning, slashing, and piercing. But if I'm wrong then just give me a page number in the PH or DMG and i'll fix it

Ilgivan
2007-10-11, 04:36 PM
Here's a trait out of unearthed arcana:

Slippery (+1 on escape artist checks against being grappled, -1 all other grapple checks.)

I'm twisting it to fit the needs here. Also, you do gain quite a bit, but you also pick up TWO vulnerabilities, so I'd be inclined to leave the price where it is for now.

As for the DR/ER thing, here's an ooze trait:

Split (Ex)
Slashing and piercing weapons deal no damage to a black pudding. Instead the creature splits into two identical puddings, each with half of the original’s current hit points (round down). A pudding with 10 hit points or less cannot be further split and dies if reduced to 0 hit points.

Now, some might take this as a sign that DR Bludgeoning is the correct option. Me, I'm thinking that an adventurer is not an ooze and having your leg hacked off hurts. Also, this is a skin graft, not a flesh graft.

So what I'm doing is I'm saying you're padded against being bashed by your squishy outer layer, and modifying it accordingly.

As for the turning into complete water... again, skin, not flesh. I'm taking that out.

Also, I'm cleaning up the vulnerabilities. Vulnerability, as far as I can tell, means double damage. Where a 15 might be coming from I have no idea. Also, if you're taking half your hp in damage you're going into shock and possibly dying. I'm taking out the bit about being shocked, and modifying the bit on freezing.

Slick Skin [Water]
Effects: Immunity to Water, Energy Resistance Fire/15, DR 5/Slashing, Piercing. You gain a +2 bonus on Escape Artist checks to escape grapples. Creatures that pass through a square you have occupied within the last minute must make a Reflex save 5 to avoid slipping (losing DEX bonus to AC for 1d4 rounds).
Graft Sacrifice: -5 on climb checks, and -2 on all grapple checks which are not also escape artist checks. Vulnerability electricity, cold. If you take cold damage greater than your HD plus your CON modifier, make a fort save 10+damage. If you fail this save, you are slowed due to freezing. People tracking you get a +5 so long as following a trail of dripping water would be helpful (Such as through a town with paved roads, but not underwater).

I'm also considering swapping out the water immunity for water absorption, but I'm not so sure.

Lyinginbedmon
2007-10-11, 04:39 PM
Where are these water grafts? I've never heard of them before. :smallconfused:

Ilgivan
2007-10-11, 04:43 PM
Water Grafts are in Magic of Eberron under magic items.

FoeHammer
2007-10-12, 04:13 PM
All of your modifications look really good! I wasnt sure what level this was going to be played at but your initial comment seemed to indicate Epic levels, so I tryed to upscale everything and did to good a job. D you want any help doing Sea Legs or do you think your good?

Ilgivan
2007-10-15, 12:07 AM
All of your modifications look really good! I wasnt sure what level this was going to be played at but your initial comment seemed to indicate Epic levels, so I tryed to upscale everything and did to good a job. D you want any help doing Sea Legs or do you think your good?

Well, the character I'm giving them to is going to have ten levels in that class with the prereq that you need an elemental graft, and is thus going to have five water grafts; elemental grafts are cheaper for people with that PrC. Due to this, he's going to have a base swim speed of 60 and is going to be able to summon water elementals to do his bidding. I'm all for the idea of upping everything to insane levels, but I'd never get him through the character screening if he was too strong.

Also, what I really need help with on the sea legs is getting reasonable numbers in. Anything would be fine so long as the benefits match the price tag.

Sea Legs [Water]
Your legs have been replaced with the flesh of a water elemental, augmenting your movement when in contact with water.
Graft Location: Legs
Description: Not much change is readily apparent in the legs most of the time, but any time you come in contact with any water, including water too shallow to activate this graft, your legs take on a silvery bluish hue, and when the graft is activated your legs and anything on them change to appear as pillars of water.
Activation: When you step onto any body of water deeper than you are tall, you may choose to activate this graft.
Effects: When this graft is activated your legs take on the appearance of pillars of water and you become able to walk across the surface of the water as though under the effect of Water Walk. This may be turned off at will at any time, causing you to drop into the water and immediately sink to a depth equal to five feet per 20 pounds minus one quarter your swim speed. You may take a swim check DC 10+ 1/5 feet dropped to instead drop to a height conducive to treading water. If your head breaks the surface of the water you may reactivate this graft, bringing your feet up to the surface immediately. Additionally, any time you are in contact with a body of water larger than yourself, all of your movement types gain an additional ten feet to their base speeds, and you gain a +[#] to balance checks. However, the process weakens your legs slightly, giving you a permanent -[#] to jump checks.
Construction: Elemental grafter, (__) spell, (#) xp, (#) gp, (#) days.
Graft Donor: .
Graft Sacrifice: -(#) on jump checks. -(#) hp.
Price:(#),000 gp