PDA

View Full Version : Help me remember a book title

moonfly7
2019-07-27, 09:09 AM
So, I had a book once, it was awesome. But I gave it to a friend, and I forgot its name. It was a series, but I only read book one. Help me remember, I need to finish it.
So heres the plot: the setting is modern day, the main character is middle school aged and male, he lives with just his mom. His mom is a college professor and they moved to a new town for her to teach at a college. At his new school, he meets a kid who closes a table with his mind, who invites him to a professors after school thing. Basically, the professor made this ring that lets specific people do things like control elements, ice, earth, fire, and move objects limitedly. She's also made a device that should let you do it portably.
The class room gets robbed, by guys using elemental powers without the circle. They want the gun thing she made.
Long story short, these abilities have been arpund for forever, and a whole nother layer of society exists around these powers.
There are tiers, tier one can move objects and small things. Tier two is elemental control, shooting ice and fire and stuff. And tier three, something only maybe 4 people have ever done, is controlling things like earthquakes, and hurricanes. Theoretically, a tier 4 would be warping reality.
Main character has been "removed" from our world, no one remembers who he is, even his mom. He agrees to help the police agency that did this wipe thing so long as he and this ex agent turned criminal save the professor and get the gun from evil bad guy faction, basically the opposite of the agency.
After criminal infiltration scenes, and getting caught and more plot, main character realizes there isnt a way to make his mother remember him, so he turns on tge agency, and manifests a 3rd tier power to escape. Telling his two friends goodbye, and finding out fron ex agent that the gun doesn't actually work, it just acted as a focus for his powers. His original focus was a spiraled shell fossil that was broken. Then he used a civil war silver dollar. After manifesting 3rd tier powers, he stopped needing a focus.
Sorry I cant remember names, please ask any questions you need to, thanks!

Palanan
2019-07-27, 10:25 AM
Sounds like classic YA, but not something familiar to me.

Do you remember about what year you first read the book?

moonfly7
2019-07-27, 11:37 AM
Sounds like classic YA, but not something familiar to me.

Do you remember about what year you first read the book?

Around 2013-2015

Rogar Demonblud
2019-07-27, 11:59 PM
Was it new then, or used?

moonfly7
2019-07-28, 05:03 PM
Was it new then, or used?

New. From a scholastic catalog.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-07-28, 07:09 PM
Doesn't help much, since that just means a new printing rather than recently published.

If you remember which catalog company, they may still have it online, in which case the cover art should jog your memory. Or you could head to Wikipedia and troll through the list of book series; even if you don't find that book, you may find something else to check out.

And that's about all the help I can give. Good Luck.