PDA

View Full Version : Gaze attacks & monster characters

Madmal
2007-10-10, 01:57 PM
I was skimming through my Savage Species book and was suddenly assaulted with an idea:

how to block a gaze attack from a party member? (like the medusa's ability, or a charming gaze), is there more than one item who can help this? (6,000 gp for the Gazeblinf googles seems a little expensive to me)

also, there's the option of the blindfold, but that'll leave him/her...errr..blind (duh...), any way to work so blindness is not much of an issue? at least at lower levels?

Indon
2007-10-10, 02:06 PM
Yeah, gaze attacks are just really bad when you have allies who aren't immune to them.

If you can somehow gain blindsight, you can just close your eyes when you aren't going to use your gaze attack, but even in combat your allies have a chance of being subjected to it (it's just less).

Dausuul
2007-10-10, 02:16 PM
From the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm):

An opponent can avert his eyes from the creature’s face, looking at the creature’s body, watching its shadow, or tracking the creature in a reflective surface. Each round, the opponent has a 50% chance of not having to make a saving throw. The creature with the gaze attack gains concealment relative to the opponent. An opponent can shut his eyes, turn his back on the creature, or wear a blindfold. In these cases, the opponent does not need to make a saving throw. The creature with the gaze attack gains total concealment relative to the opponent.

Emphasis mine. While D&D does not contain facing rules as such, you have the option to declare that you're facing away from your gaze-attacking ally, and the only penalty is that your ally now has total concealment against you, which is not a problem unless you're trying to use a touch-range buff or healing spell.

Out of combat, it might be more of an issue.