PDA

View Full Version : Help Choosing 6th level spells for Magical Secrets

IIzak
2019-07-27, 10:52 AM
So I'm a Lore Bard 10/Life Cleric 1, and I just hit that Bard level 10, so it's magical secrets time for me. I know that this isn't how magical secrets work, but my DM is allowing me to take 6th level spells for my Magical Secrets, and I want to take as great advantage of this as I can. So I'm looking for advice on which spells would be good takes, considering I have access to slightly higher level spells than normal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

bid
2019-07-27, 11:07 AM
Forbiddance?
It's a cleric spell to keep the flavor and won't use your slot.

Vekon
2019-07-27, 11:11 AM
Sounds like it's time for magic jar shenanigans.

LudicSavant
2019-07-27, 11:59 AM
Contingency.

Nagog
2019-07-27, 12:14 PM
Contingency is fun and can save you in a pinch, particularly when combined with a revival spell of some sort.
Heroes Feast is a nice spell, but it's casting time of 10 minutes and 1 hour to take effect hampers its utility.
Magic Jar can be fun, but also difficult to use as it also has a casting time of 1 minute
Soul Cage is easily my favorite of the available spells, but there is little doubt that your comrades will see using that spell as evil and insane.

Unfortunately 6th level spells exist in the limbo of really great multi-use 5th level spells and the Game Changing Powerful magics of 7th-9th level spells, so the selection is iffy and small. I can see why your DM allows you to nab one of these as in most situations they don't change all that much.

Keravath
2019-07-27, 12:21 PM
Honestly, some of the level 5 picks are among the best and most flexible choices already. Being able to pick some level 6s a few levels early might be cool but some of the level 5s are really worth it.

e.g.
Wall of Force
Circle of Power

Some level 6s to consider might be:
Disintegrate
Heal

Crgaston
2019-07-27, 12:26 PM
Forbiddance?
It's a cleric spell to keep the flavor and won't use your slot.

Picking up a 6th level Ritual is a great idea.

Heroes' Feast is super on point, theme-wise. I'm kind of surprised Bards don't get it already. The 24 hour duration mitigates the long casting time. Great for the night before a big battle.

Mental Prison and Sunbeam are also good if you need offensive spells.

Don't overlook the 5th level Paladin and Ranger spells. You'll get more uses of them, and Steel Wind Strike and Destructive Wave are both fantastic, as is Holy Weapon if you have a Fighter in the group.