PDA

View Full Version : New Detective... (new character for my campaign since tanking is stressful)

samcifer
2019-07-27, 12:37 PM
So the new character I came up with is a half-elf divine soul sorc 8 / hexblade 3 with ritual casting for some extra utility spells to compensate for the sorc having so few spells known as well as no ritual casting of it's own.

Stats ended up as: STR 10, DEX 16 (14 + 1 from half-elf and +1 from Elven Accuracy), CON 16, INT 10, WIS 13 (12 + 1 from half-elf), and CHA 20 (18 + 2 from half-elf). Chosen half-elf extra skills are perception and Survival. HP is 82, speed is the standard 30ft.

Gear: Half-plate and shield as well as the +1 Ring of Protection for 20 AC. I want to shop for a +2 shield and I'm tempted to go HB 4 at the next level for the Medium Armor Master feat for another +1 AC. You may not think that a ranged caster needs that much protection, but the dm has set the difficulty of battles rather high in this campaign and monsters oven roll over 20 total to hit and I've seen several times where he's gotten 24+ to hit, so with the Shield spell, I want an AC of 28 to keep my character alive longer. It may seem paranoid, but trust me, it's really THAT necessary!

I went DS on sorc sub-class for a wider variety of spells, but took several on blasting spells like Magic Missile (combined with Hexblades Curse would equal 18+ auto-hit damage - 4 + 1 + 1d4 damage 3+ times), Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Vitriolic Sphere and Eldritch Blast, but also some utility spells like Lesser Restoration, Hold Person, Dispel Magic and Greater Invisibility. I also took Ritual caster and chose wizard to get Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Indentify, Leomund's Tiny Hut and Unseen Servant to give me more out-of-combat usefulness as well as the all-important shelter of the hut. For cantrips I took Sacred Flame and Toll the Dead so I could target other defenses should foes have very high AC or are prone, putting my EBs at disadvantage to hit. I also took Guidance, Message and Mage Hand for more utility. For class skills, I took Arcana and Religion to compensate for the low INT score. For the second ASI i went Elven Accuracy and took DEX to bump it up to 16 (mostly in prep for the Medium Armor Master feat at my next ASI). If I go invisible, I believe that would give me advantage (with a secondary advantage) to Eb-ing while invisible.

For Hebblade, I wanted the higher AC from medium armor and shield as well as the extra damage from Hexblade's Curse and the +1 accuracy from Improved Pact weapon by going Pact of the Blade and choosing a longbow for another long-ranged option. (I'm picturing it being like the light bow the Ranger uses on the old D&D carton and he fires his EBs like arrows of light). EB and Minor Illusion as my cantrips and for spells, I focused on utility spells for the most part: Hex, Shield, Mirror Image and Misty Step.

For background, I went Urban Bounty Hunter and took Deception and Persuasion to capitalize in my maxed CHA. As for personality, I was thinking of playing him like a male version of April Ludgate from the show Parks and Recreation: someone who has to suffer from the presence of how all races are full if idiots who never know what they're doing, everyone is dumb and annoying and he secretly wishes he'd become a druid as he loves animals but hates people. I think I could have a lot of fun standing up to our rogue/cleric who is an arrogant old human who's convinced that he's perfect and everyone else is both beneath him as well as there to make him look good (not that he needs the help in his mind). Also, years ago he was the victim of a botched spell that caused him to grow a lot of body hair (think Robin Williams running through the park in his underwear in that one movie... The Fisher King, I think it was). But he likes being so hairy and wants to stay that way (he has a thick and full, short-trimmed beard).

Cobat strategy will be to serve as a ranged blaster, mostly EB-ing from a distance and laying down Fireball, Lightning Bolt, V Sphere or Mag Missiles should foes be prone, causing me to have disadvantage to EB sniping.

I know that there's way better spells to choose, but I enjoy being a blaster-caster most and being able to do at least SOME damage should enemies save. Quickened spells would let me fire 6 EBs per turn or cast a strong spell and pepper foes with EBs afterwards to spread out damage or offer emergency healing or cleansing via Lesser Resto and still be able to attack on the same turn.

It's not the most elegant build and may seem a bit paranoid on defenses, but we lost our gunsmith artificer when he was struck down while at range and foes have both high to-hit bonuses as well as high damage that I feel that maximizing my defenses are too important to ignore. I also prefer to avoid save-or-suck spells because I prefer spells that at least do SOMETHING on a save, hence me preferring half-damage-on-save blasting spells over an all-or-nothing gamble that rarely works out for me as a player, making me feel as if I'm wasting my turns effectively gambling like that.

Helpful and POLITE (please) advice is appreciated.