PDA

View Full Version : Second Party Modules?

CharonsHelper
2019-07-27, 01:11 PM
I was just thinking - does anyone know if any games have second party modules? I know that plenty of games have their own modules (1st party) and there are modules made by unrelated groups (3rd party). But does anyone make second party modules?

Basically - does the publisher ever work with other groups to help them get the fluff and/or mechanics right - and maybe even provide some stock art? It was just a thought I had, because I know that modules don't generally make much $ themselves, but they help sell the game itself. They act sort of like marketing for the system, and I'd think that some publishers would want to help along modules without actually paying for them.

Anyway - just a thought. Not that I'm starting to near release of my own system and thinking that it'd be nice to have several modules at release... *cough*

erikun
2019-07-27, 04:31 PM
I seem to recall D&D doing this on occasion, specifically with their D&D3e Ravenloft material. I guess you might consider some of the Monte Cook d20 material to be second party of a sense, given that Monte Cook was involved in the development of D&D3e.

Psyren
2019-07-27, 05:23 PM
That's not how it works; the "second party" is actually you, the consumer. Anything that isn't made by the game publisher themselves is third-party.

CharonsHelper
2019-07-27, 05:53 PM
That's not how it works; the "second party" is actually you, the consumer. Anything that isn't made by the game publisher themselves is third-party.

From what I understand - there is "second party". It's when the system creator is involved but isn't actually doing the publishing themselves.

The consumer isn't first, second, or third party in this particular system.

Or I misunderstood an obscure bit of English grammar.

KillianHawkeye
2019-07-27, 05:53 PM
Yeah, I run second party adventures all the time, since I make them up myself.

Psyren
2019-07-27, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I run second party adventures all the time, since I make them up myself.

^ That.

From what I understand - there is "second party". It's when the system creator is involved but isn't actually doing the publishing themselves.

The consumer isn't first, second, or third party in this particular system.

Or I misunderstood an obscure bit of English grammar.

What you're referring to is a third party getting a license from the first party to make something on their behalf - which is still third party. That license is typically to use something that is closed content, such as trademarked setting material.

ngilop
2019-07-27, 08:45 PM
I was just thinking - does anyone know if any games have second party modules? I know that plenty of games have their own modules (1st party) and there are modules made by unrelated groups (3rd party). But does anyone make second party modules?

Basically - does the publisher ever work with other groups to help them get the fluff and/or mechanics right - and maybe even provide some stock art? It was just a thought I had, because I know that modules don't generally make much $ themselves, but they help sell the game itself. They act sort of like marketing for the system, and I'd think that some publishers would want to help along modules without actually paying for them.

Anyway - just a thought. Not that I'm starting to near release of my own system and thinking that it'd be nice to have several modules at release... *cough*

There are literally millions of 2nd party adventures, campaigns, one shot dungeons, etc etc.

Unless you don't actually mean 2nd party and instead meant officially licensed 3rd party?

Yora
2019-07-28, 04:07 AM

It's homebrew. :smallwink:

Unavenger
2019-07-28, 04:14 AM
Yes, "Second party" literally means you, the player. It's also used to mean "Officially-licensed third party" enough that it's entered common usage. Clearly, the OP is referring to the latter use, so pedantry about what it should or should not mean is pointless.

:vaarsuvius: Now, can we please resume saving the world?

Zakhara
2019-07-28, 05:16 AM
The very first published module was first party; "Temple of the Frog" in Supplement II - Blackmoor.

The second? Second-party, developed by Wee Warriors yet published by TSR themselves: "Palace of the Vampire Queen."

KillianHawkeye
2019-07-28, 10:29 AM
Yes, "Second party" literally means you, the player. It's also used to mean "Officially-licensed third party" enough that it's entered common usage. Clearly, the OP is referring to the latter use, so pedantry about what it should or should not mean is pointless.

:vaarsuvius: Now, can we please resume saving the world?

No, never! :smallamused:
https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png

LordEntrails
2019-08-01, 08:29 PM
Well, you could consider Adventurer's League stuff 2nd party D&D. Or anything published on the DMsGuild by any of the Guild Adapts, since they are "blessed" and supported by WotC.

Knaight
2019-08-02, 10:41 AM
Putting aside the actual definition of second party and answering the question as asked - it happens, but it's certainly not common. The RPG industry is extremely freelancer heavy, and a module made by hiring some freelancers to make a module (or module line) is still either first or third party depending on who's doing the hiring. Still, occasionally you get company contracts instead.