PDA

View Full Version : Bloody great grappling race: Simic Hybrid

Waazraath
2019-07-27, 04:41 PM
I've seen 'em pass by in some builds, but I haven't seen a dedicated thread on them so far (though I might have missed it).

What a bloody great grappler Symic Hybrids make!

Meat of the raceis two menu's you can choose an ability from, at level 1 and 5. Especially the level 5 is awesome: you get 2 'grappling appendages', either tentacles or claws. You can only use them to grapple, and to make natural atacks (1d6+str), and if you hit with them, you can start a bonus action as a grapple. The level 1 abilities let you ignore 100ft falling damage, or give you water breathing, among one other.

Why is this great?
- at level 5, grappling doesn't cost you an attack! You hit somebody, and grapple as a bonus action.
- combine this with 5 levels of fighter / Battle Master, and you have 2 attacks, and can use a maneuver to trip (no action required)
- so hit somebody with a claw, bonus action grapple, trip, and have another attack left!
- you're grappling with tentacles, so that attack CAN BE USED HITTING YOUR PRONE OPPONENT ON THE HEAD WITH ADVANTAGE WITH A HUGE TWO HANDED HAMMER, OR AXE, OR SWORD!
- combine with GWM, for the obvious extra damage
- aquatic campaign? Drown the grapples enemies. Cliffs available? Jump down, they fall, you glide the first 100ft.
- can be combined with everything. With lore bard (the ultimate grappling class), for a grappling monster, with expertise, cutting words, peerless skill, and spells like abiilty enhancer (advantage on grapples), or later (with extra spells) Enlarge.
- or with 1 level of bbn (for advantage on checks), 1 level of rogue (for expertise), and whatever you like for the rest. Because this makes you awesom at grappling at level 7, and a 'normal' strong melee fighter with a great weapon and relevant feats and maneuvers, so you can follow whatever build route you like.
- furthermore: by raw, you already could grapple 2 creatures (1 with each hand) - this probably won't fly with some DM's, cause 'realism'. But when you have 2 great tentacles sprouting from your back, it's easy to argue that you can at least grapple 2 creatures, and still have your hands free.

All of this is great, and I wanted to share it. Thank you for your attention.

Damon_Tor
2019-07-27, 04:47 PM
The climb speed might be more useful more often than either the glide or water breathing. Consider how often there are trees around. You aren't always fighting with a convenient dropoff for you to glide down from, but being able to drag your hapless target(s) 15 feet up a tree means even if they escape your grip, they'll pay for it with some damage and being prone. And every turn they don't escape is a turn you drag them further up the tree.