PDA

View Full Version : Jaguar Warrior [PrC]

Callos_DeTerran
2007-10-10, 02:36 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/90/Tepeyollotl_1.jpg
Jaguar Warrior
There are few in all of the Cipactli city-states who has not heard of the jaguar warriors of fearsome Tezcatlipoca, mighty warriors with the grace and power of great hunting cats. Tezcatlipoca honors the veneration that these warriors give him, bestowing upon them the ability to take the shape of the very cats that they emulate so freely. Various important temples keep a contingent of these fighters on hand to track down escaped sacrifices or lead war parties against other city-states. It is said that when they fail in battle that Tezcatlipoca himself punishes the warrior and those he protects and fights for...
The only classes that can readily apply for the jaguar warrior prestige class are those with skirmish or animal companions. Usually a pick of rangers and scouts, the rare druid has been none to give up their spellcasting progression to take levels in the class. Sometimes dual-class ranger/scouts enter into this class to optimize the favored hit-and-run style of this brotherhood.
Hit Die: d8

Requirements:
To qualify to become a jaguar warrior, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria.
Deity: Tezcatlipoca
Base Attack Bonus: +9
Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Macuahuitl), Dodge, Mobility
Special: Animal Companion or Skirmish 2d6
Special: Must be initiated in a rite conducted by a priest of Tezcatlipoca involving the sacrifice of a warrior native to an enemy state. (The prospective warrior doesn't need to capture his own sacrifice however...it's merely encouraged.)

Class Skills: The jaguar warrior's class skills (and the key ability for each) are Climb (Str), Handle Animal (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at each level: 4+Int Modifier
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+2|Jaguar Blessing (Lesser Jaguar), Jaguar Form 1/day, Path of the Warrior

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+3|Skirmish 1d6

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+3|Scent

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+4|Jaguar Form 2/day, Skirmish 2d6

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+4|Jaguar Blessing (Jaguar)

6th|
+6|
+2|
+5|
+5|Pounce, Skirmish 3d6

7th|
+7|
+2|
+5|
+5|Jaguar Form 3/day

8th|
+8|
+2|
+6|
+6|Skirmish 4d6

9th|
+9|
+3|
+6|
+6|Speed Increase 10 ft.

10th|
+10|
+3|
+7|
+7|Jaguar Blessing (Dire Jaguar), Jaguar Form 4/day, Skirmish 5d6[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A jaguar warrior gains no new weapon proficiency. They gain no new armor proficiencies.

Jaguar Blessing (Su): A jaguar warrior may plead to his patron for the ability to defeat his foes, gaining Tezcatlipoca's blessing in the form of a new form to combat his foes with. The only limits on this ability are how many uses of the Jaguar Form ability that the warrior has left. Using Jaguar Blessing is a free action that does provoke an AoO and cannot be used in response to an attack or a spell. In many ways this ability functions as the polymorph spell with a few differences. As normal for polymorph, the jaguar warrior gains the cat form's physical qualities (Including size, movement, natural armor bonus, natural weapons, and space and reach), as wqell as any special attacks possessed by the form (Such as rake). The transformation lasts for 3+(newly improved) Con Modifier rounds.

Unlike with the polymorph spell, the jaguar warrior does not gain the form's physical ability scores when he uses jaguar blessing, nor does he regain any hit points when he changes. However his current hit points increase due to his new Constitution score, much like the rage ability of a barbarian.

Any jaguar warrior can assume the form of a lesser jaguar once per day. While in lesser jaguar form, he gains a +6 bonus to Strength, +8 bonus to Dexterity, and a +4 bonus to Constitution. For determining attack modes, natural armor bonus, etc. use the leopard as the creature changed into.

At 5th level, a jaguar warrior can choose between a lesser jaguar and a jaguar when using jaguar blessing. While in jaguar form, he gains a +12 bonus to Strength, a +4 bonus to Dexterity, and a +6 bonus to Constitution. For determining attack modes, natural armor bonus, etc. use the tiger as the creature turned into.

At 10th level, a jaguar warrior can choose between a lesser jaguar, a jaguar, and a dire jaguar when he uses Jaguar Blessing. While in dire jaguar form, he gains a +16 bonus to Strength, a +4 bonus to Dexterity, and a +6 bonus to Constitution. For determining attack modes, natural armor bonus, etc. use the dire tiger as the creature turned into.

Jaguar Form (Su): This is the number of times per day that a jaguar warrior can use Jaguar Blessing. Every three levels after first he gains an additional use of the ability. (4th, 7th, 10th, etc.)

Path of the Warrior: At first level a jaguar must chose the path that he'll walk for the rest of his life. Whither he'll be the solitary hunter, striking swift and sure at the enemy before fading away back into the jungle. Or teamed with a fearsome beast of the wild, a man and animal beast united in their holy mission to Tezcatlipoca.

At first level a jaguar warrior decides if they will continue to advance their Skirmish ability by the indicated amount on the table or if they will continue to advance their animal companion as a druid equal to their jaguar warrior level+druid levels (Or ranger's animal progression). Once this choice is made it cannot be changed and often irrevocably influences how the jaguar warrior will combat his foes.

Skirmish (Ex): Whenever a jaguar warrior moves at least ten feet, he may deal the indicated amount of skirmish damage to the target of his attacks. This stacks with other sources of sneak attack and skirmish. Creatures without a discernable anatomy are unaffected by this ability. At every even-numbered level this damage increases by one die. (1d6 to 2d6, etc.) A jaguar warrior only gains this bonus damage while in his own form, not while in jaguar form.

Scent (Ex.): At 3rd level a jaguar warrior gains the scent special quality (see page 314 of the Monster Manuel) while in jaguar or non-jaguar form.

Pounce (Ex.): At 6th level a jaguar warrior gains the pounce special attack. A jaguar warrior can still make a full-attack at the end of a charge, despite the fact he moved, while in jaguar or non-jaguar form.

Speed Increase (Ex.): At 9th level a jaguar warrior gains a speed increase of 10 ft. to his land speed. This bonus only works in non-jaguar form and makes a jaguar warrior particularly efficient trackers and hunters.
__________________________________________________ ___________

Exotic Weapon Cost Dmg(S) Dmg(M) Crit Weight Type

Macuahuitl 30gp 1d6 1d8 19-20/x3 2lbs. Piercing & Slashing

__________________________________________________ ___________

Here we go, a specially made Prestige Class for my upcoming Campaign Setting project (which is not up yet by the way). I mostly based it off the (surprise surprise) bear warrior from Complete Warrior but added more combat ability for when the character is NOT prowling around as a large predatory cat.

I'm a little concerned about the balance of the class, but otherwise I am VERY interested in getting thoughts and opinions on this class.

Callos_DeTerran
2007-10-11, 05:43 PM
...Nuthin? No horrible complaints about how overpowered the class is or how weak it is?...Did I get it right on the head the first time?...Maybe its just so normal, nobody notices it.

PhoeKun
2007-10-11, 05:57 PM
First thought: It's unusual for Prestige Classes to grant a character weapon proficiencies. Usually, when a class is expected to know how to use a weapon, the appropriate proficiency feats (or Weapon Focus, if it's not exotic) are added as requirements. Given that the net and lasso are unlikely to ever be used by anyone, it would seem fair to drop them by the wayside (add them to class flavor, maybe?) and make proficiency with the... uh... macuahuitl... a requirement.

Second thought: a potential method of qualifying for this class is the Animal Companion class feature, but the class does not offer any advancement of that class feature. Why not let the player choose between Skirmish or raising the power of their Animal Companion, depending on which method they chose to qualify?

Pounce at 6th level makes me nervous, but beyond that I'm not overly concerned about balance. It's basically a kitty version of the Bear Warrior, and those are fine, bordering on the line of "not that terribly useful".

Callos_DeTerran
2007-10-11, 06:16 PM
The pounce ability is probably one of the selling points for this class. It's requirements make dipping into barbarian/frenzied beserker cheese harder to do but makes a scout's skirmish ability much more worthwhile.

Altered for the animal companion part, which really does make sense to do.

Added the macuahuitl at the very end so people know exactly what a machuahuitl is and altered the profciencies.

Net and lasso mostly ARE for flavor since they'd be used to capture people for sacrifice.

Rowanomicon
2007-10-12, 12:10 AM
Looks interesting; I really like the flavour.
I'll give it a more thorough look over during the weekend.
Just one thing for now: Why does it have Will as a good save?

JackMage666
2007-10-12, 12:16 AM
My question is about Skirmish - Skirmish normally Increases damage and AC, not just damage, making your skirmish a bit overpowered for a character that's soul purpose seems to be charging.

Callos_DeTerran
2007-10-12, 12:29 AM
The Will save was a suggestion from another Jack I was talking to over AIM. And I'm a bit unclear on something, how is my skirmish more powerful if it DOESN'T provide the AC bonus that normal skirmish does?

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-12, 12:41 AM
Because it progresses faster than a scout's skirmish damage. If it weren't for this class getting pounce, I wouldn't even think twice about that, honestly. With pounce happening, you might consider changing it so that it increases damage a little slower, but also throws in an AC boost. Then again, you might not, I'm not sure how that goes balance wise.

Also, you need to make it clearer in your table that you don't get skirmish damage if you choose to advance your animal companion instead, or correct me if I have that wrong and then explain what exactly Path of the Warrior is supposed to accomplish.

Other than that, however, this is a pretty cool class. I'd use it, simply for the pounce/skirmish goodness.

Callos_DeTerran
2007-10-12, 10:09 AM
Because it progresses faster than a scout's skirmish damage. If it weren't for this class getting pounce, I wouldn't even think twice about that, honestly. With pounce happening, you might consider changing it so that it increases damage a little slower, but also throws in an AC boost. Then again, you might not, I'm not sure how that goes balance wise.

It does progress faster? Really? I just assumed it had the same progression as the rogue's sneak attack and put it down accordingly. Anywho, I limited the skirmish because it's not meant to improve the AC of the Jaguar Warrior whos not supposed to be all too concerned with that AoO they'll be defending against. Plus, and I should probably put this in there, but this skirmish doesn't add unto ranged attacks at all which is supposed to be one of the minuses to this version of skirmish so as to allow for the faster progression and to keep the Jaguar Warrior up there in damage terms with the Frenzied Barbarian cheese so one wouldn't be utterly useless next to it.

Also, you need to make it clearer in your table that you don't get skirmish damage if you choose to advance your animal companion instead, or correct me if I have that wrong and then explain what exactly Path of the Warrior is supposed to accomplish.

Other than that, however, this is a pretty cool class. I'd use it, simply for the pounce/skirmish goodness.

Well I would...but I don't quite know how to make it clearer since you can't show animal companion advancement on this table, and can't just have the animal companion get better each time skirmish does cause it would nix the benefit of an animal companion pretty nicely.

And thanks.

JackMage666
2007-10-12, 12:36 PM
The Will save was a suggestion from another Jack I was talking to over AIM. And I'm a bit unclear on something, how is my skirmish more powerful if it DOESN'T provide the AC bonus that normal skirmish does?

Because you get 5d6 (plus base skirmish) added onto every attack on a charge. That's Probably 20d6 (+4x Regular Skirmish) by 20th level due to 4 attacks, but it can easily be more by going Two-Weapon Fighting (The easiest entry into this is Scout 3/Ranger 7, which nets another 3d6 +2 AC skirmish, and TWF is cheaper for a Ranger thanks to Bonus Feats). So, let's see, a TWF Ranger (the easiest base entry) who's a Ranger 7/Scout 3/Jaguar Warrior 10, weilding 2 +3 Short Sword or sake of ease, and an 18 Str.

Full Attack after a charge = 7 Attacks, +26 / +26 / +21 / +21 / +16 / +16 / +11, Main Hand 1d6+7+8d6 Skirmish, Off-Hand 1d6+5+8d6 Skirmish - So, if he hits with all of them (Using Brilliant Energy weapon as per the spell), damage is something like 7d6+43+56d6 Skirmish (Average Damage 263.5). And that's not even close to optimization, or probably even realist thinking for 20th level.

Callos_DeTerran
2007-10-12, 04:26 PM
Scout 3/Ranger 7

That isn't the easiest way into this class. Straight ranger or scout is and is generally the wiser choice too except for maybe minor minor multi-classing.

Because you get 5d6 (plus base skirmish) added onto every attack on a charge. That's Probably 20d6 (+4x Regular Skirmish) by 20th level due to 4 attacks, but it can easily be more by going Two-Weapon Fighting (The easiest entry into this is Scout 3/Ranger 7, which nets another 3d6 +2 AC skirmish, and TWF is cheaper for a Ranger thanks to Bonus Feats). So, let's see, a TWF Ranger (the easiest base entry) who's a Ranger 7/Scout 3/Jaguar Warrior 10, weilding 2 +3 Short Sword or sake of ease, and an 18 Str.

Full Attack after a charge = 7 Attacks, +26 / +26 / +21 / +21 / +16 / +16 / +11, Main Hand 1d6+7+8d6 Skirmish, Off-Hand 1d6+5+8d6 Skirmish - So, if he hits with all of them (Using Brilliant Energy weapon as per the spell), damage is something like 7d6+43+56d6 Skirmish (Average Damage 263.5). And that's not even close to optimization, or probably even realist thinking for 20th level.

Going TWF alone is a little more on the optimization side of things for this class, but I still don't see the big problem when compared to decent characters of an equal level. A sorcerer or wizard can do well over the extra skirmish damage with a simple sixth level spell and a the proper rod of meta-magic. A barbarian is two handing a greatsword for close to that amount with the proper feat choices and a charge as well. A similar build for a rogue is doing the exact same amount of extra damage (Cause a TWF Rogue with an 18 Str. is about as common as a TWF ranger with an 18 Str), every single round and it's easier for them to accomplish. Martial adepts...let not go there. Or into the greater wizard cheese that doesn't even rely on damage.

More importantly a jaguar warrior can only do that after moving ten feet, taking potentially deadly AoO (At level twenty they could very well be deadly) just to set up what the rogue next to him is doing much easier. And if he wants to do it again he needs two more AoO to set it up. And your potenial build above assumes that every attack is going to hit (not a good assumption since brilliant energy only ignores armor and shield bonuses which many MONSTERS don't possess, mostly NPC BBEG and in that case is much more valid). Skirmish itself is hardly a strong ability and with Jaguar Warrior only really catches its stride at level 15-16 where as many other builds have already done it. Thats why the class has a higher prerequisites then most PrC's to allow for the powerful abilities to be gained at about the same time as other builds. Also another tidbit, skirmish doesn't even apply in Jaguar form which many people might like to use more instead of staying in their own form for the big stat boosts.

I'm not being particularly stubborn on this issue (Okay maybe I am) I'm merely explaining my reasoning for this skirmish being more powerful then scout skirmish. And I'm not seeing as much of a problem as you are, which is why I need input in case I'm wrong.

Jaerc
2007-10-12, 05:02 PM
Under the Feat Requirements define that the EWP must be with the Macuahuitl.

In path of the warrior it is described that choice must be made between skirmish damage and a scaling animal companion. But it the table and text it appears that that Skirmish is granted automatically. To clear up the confusion. I would suggest taking simply Skirmish out of the table, and rewriting path of the warrior to grant either +1d6 skirmish every other level or scaling of your animal companion at every level.

And regarding the progression of skirmish damage; it follows the examples set forth in Complete Scoundrel, so I see no issue.

Rowanomicon
2007-10-22, 09:21 PM
Just out of curiosity how did you decide upon the bonuses granted by Jaguar Blessings?

I know the obvious lace to look is under leopard (which can also be used to stat out jaguars), but there is no lesser or dire leopards/jaguars in the SRD.