PDA

View Full Version : A Jack of all trades

sithlordnergal
2019-07-28, 12:07 AM
So, I am finally going to get to play with a build that I've wanted to do for a while, but I need some help optimizing it a bit more. Here are the rules:

1) It must be AL Legal. Meaning Point Buy only, and I only have access to the PHB+1

2) I can have to have 4 levels in any given class I take. Meaning yes, this will be a character with 5 different classes

With the two rules out of the way, here's what I have so far:

Race: Half Elf

Str: 16

Dex: 10

Con: 14

Int: 8

Wis: 12

Cha: 16

Class: Paladin

Now, I so far plan to go Paladin of Vengeance / Great Old One Warlock / Wild Magic Sorcerer / Lore Bard. However, I can't think of what I want to do for my final class. I could take four levels of Cleric by spending an ASI on Wisdom to boost it to 14. It would give me more spell slots to Smite with, Cleric Spells, and Domain features.

But at the same time, I could take a level of Fighter to get a second Fighting Style, Action Surge, and BattleMaster abilities.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-07-28, 12:35 AM
You will have spell known up yo level 2 and you will never get extra attack.

Rogue look good for it in my opinion.

sithlordnergal
2019-07-28, 12:38 AM
You will have spell known up yo level 2 and you will never get extra attack.

Rogue look good for it in my opinion.

Hmmm, Rogue could be do-able...I'd need to get a 13 in Dex though. That would make my ability scores a bit tricky...I could lower Wisdom to do it.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-07-28, 12:56 AM
Hmmm, Rogue could be do-able...I'd need to get a 13 in Dex though. That would make my ability scores a bit tricky...I could lower Wisdom to do it.

As an half-elf you may consider to move to a dex base build for Elven Accuracy.

From a quick look you didn't choose your +1 yet.

XGtE have great spells and feats(and subclasses but you choose your already so it doesn't matter)

EDIT: I will have to tell you that wild Wild Magic Surge work only on your Sorcerer spells.

sithlordnergal
2019-07-28, 01:04 AM
As an half-elf you may consider to move to a dex base build for Elven Accuracy.

From a quick look you didn't choose your +1 yet.

XGtE have great spells and feats(and subclasses but you choose your already so it doesn't matter)

I think the biggest difficulty with going Dex is the fact that I need a 13 in Strength in order to multiclass out of Paladin. I could go:

Str: 13

Dex: 14

That said, Elven Accuracy also works with Charisma based attacks. So Hexblade or Shillelagh from Pact of the Tome would work with it.

Xeko
2019-07-28, 01:45 AM
I play a Hexblade Warlock/Swashbuckler Rogue Half-elf, with Elven Accuracy. He is amazing. CHA is the ONLY stat that matters for him, and it effects all of his attack and damage rolls, his initiative, and all of the skills that he actually uses and has expertise in. 8 str, 14 dex, 12 con, 12 int, 10 wis, 20 cha at level 9. Had I intended to do as you are doing, I'd have put the ASI in int instead of CHA, then I would have gone with College of Swords Bard, and Blade Singer Wizard, and Path of the Kensei Monk. Spells would be largely abjuration, defensive buffs. Haste, shield, shield of faith, blur, mirror image, stuff like that, and he'd be a melee fighter, with Eldritch Blast as a solid ranged option.

All of those are from Xanathar's guide except for Bladesinger. But, in case it wasn't obvious, I was thinking of more a similar theme, sword fighters, to sort of explain in-character why he would go multiclassing so much, instead of sticking with one class. Trying to learn swordplay, from a dozen different sources, with mixed results (because generally speaking, a multi-classed character is weaker than a single classed character, usually).

Why do I go explaining how I would tweak my existing character to fit your goals? I honestly don't know, I don't think it's really helpful to you. But, I guess there are two main takeaways. First, the Hexblade allows you to put absolutely everything into Charisma, and nothing else, which means you can arrange all of your other stats however you need to, to make mutliclassing happen. Unlike Paladin, which kinda relies on two or three good stats to function well. And second, you should focus on multi-class options that compliment each other, the way Swashbuckler and Hexblade both are charisma focused. But, both of those points should be kinda obvious... so I have contributed absolutely nothing! Woo!

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-07-28, 01:52 AM
I think the biggest difficulty with going Dex is the fact that I need a 13 in Strength in order to multiclass out of Paladin. I could go:

Str: 13

Dex: 14

That said, Elven Accuracy also works with Charisma based attacks. So Hexblade or Shillelagh from Pact of the Tome would work with it.

It will work but you will be locked to finesse weapon if you plan to go rogue.

You can also take 13 in dex.

You can go

Before the two +1 and +2 cha of the half-elf.
You can take +1 dex +1 wis for +2 dex mod if you plan to use medium armor and 10 wiz for no penalty.

You will have

Dork_Forge
2019-07-28, 02:45 AM
Honestly I'd avoid going Paladin, the Str requirement is a bit of a trap and you won't get as high as extra attack anyway. Is this meant to be from level 1 up or is this a level 20 build?

I'd go Half Elf 8 16 13 13 10 16 after racials with:

Fighter (Either BM or Samurai)
Rogue (Swashbuckler)
Warlock (Celestial, either chain with gift of the ever living or blade with improved pact weapon)
Wizard (War)
Sorcerer (Draconic would let you hit AC18 w/o armor or Divine soul for the 2d4 and Cleric spells)

Pick up a rapier (with dueling style), when you get access to it use an upcast Shadow Blade as your go to, you could switch out Sorcerer for Swords Bard, that would take your already insanely high initiative even higher and the defensive flourish is nice.

Mjolnirbear
2019-07-28, 03:23 AM
Possibly the Dabbler or Dilettante might suit you from Eclectic Fun Builds. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?583957-An-Eclectic-Collection-of-Fun-and-Effective-Builds)

Chronos
2019-07-28, 06:44 AM
Is the requirement at least four levels in each class you take, or at most? The latter is what would force you into having five classes, but it's a really weird requirement. With the former, you'd probably be better off sticking with one or two classes.

Snowbluff
2019-07-28, 10:09 AM
You definitrly will want SCAG as your +1. This will let you take booming blade, filling your damage.

I would probably go Rogue/Paladin/Ranger (pickup colossus slayer) to fill in damage die. That's like 2d6+1d8 + whatever you want to smite with every round. However, this is pretty all over the place in terms of stats. Either way, Rogue gets my vote.

As much as I like Paladin/Bard, that fifth level of bard is a pretty big deal.

Bobthewizard
2019-07-28, 10:43 AM
Either fighter or cleric is fine but you’d be better sticking with 4 classes to level 5 each for extra attack and 3rd level spells. You can make an effective character with level 3 spells. It’s harder with only level 2 spells.

sithlordnergal
2019-07-28, 11:01 AM
So, I'm finally able to reply to this. Thank you guys for the suggestions, you guys did have some questions so I'll answer them here:

First, why Paladin? Its mostly there to shore up my lack of decent damage. I'm going to have a lot of high level spell slots and no high level spells to use them on. With just Paladin, Warlock, Bard, and Sorcerer alone I'll have up to 5th level spell slots, with a pair of 2nd level spells that recharge on a short rest. Give I'll only have access to 2nd level spells, and there aren't many 2nd level spells that scale well, I figured I could use most of those slots to fuel Smites. I figure I can mix Smite with PaM or a SCAG cantrip and Hex. Also, Vengeance Paladin gives me quick and easy access to advantage against a creature every short rest

Second, I can only take 4 levels at most in a class. Meaning yes, I am going to be multiclassing up to 5 times. This is less of a serious build and more of a challenge so to speak. I want to make a perfectly viable character without any of those big game changing things like 3rd level spells or Extra Attack. Any combo of classes can be strong if they just get access to 3rd level spells and Extra Attack. Its a lot more interesting to make the cut off level 4. And since this is an AL build, I do plan to go from level 1 to 20, so I'll get to see how it plays at all tiers. I will admit, I came up with the idea before Puffin Forest made that video with Absurd X3

That said, I do notice most people are suggesting Rogue...I could make it work. I think the trickiest part is that, no matter what I do, I'll have really low DPR unless I take a SCAG cantrip. But if I do take the SCAG cantrips, I'll have to give up Xanathar's. Which means I can't just focus on Charisma since I won't be able to use Hexblade. It is do-able, I could max out Dex and use that as my attack stat. However I'd either need to have no feats, 18 Charisma, or 10 Wisdom. Though I guess I could go with 18 Dex instead, but I'm not sure having an 18 in my main attacking stat would work out in Tier 4.

sithlordnergal
2019-07-28, 11:04 AM
Either fighter or cleric is fine but you’d be better sticking with 4 classes to level 5 each for extra attack and 3rd level spells. You can make an effective character with level 3 spells. It’s harder with only level 2 spells.

Oh I fully know its going to be much harder to be effective, but that's why I'm doing it. I'm working to see if I can optimize a build that doesn't have access to any of the game changing stuff most builds get.

Dork_Forge
2019-07-28, 11:12 AM
So, I'm finally able to reply to this. Thank you guys for the suggestions, you guys did have some questions so I'll answer them here:

First, why Paladin? Its mostly there to shore up my lack of decent damage. I'm going to have a lot of high level spell slots and no high level spells to use them on. With just Paladin, Warlock, Bard, and Sorcerer alone I'll have up to 5th level spell slots, with a pair of 2nd level spells that recharge on a short rest. Give I'll only have access to 2nd level spells, and there aren't many 2nd level spells that scale well, I figured I could use most of those slots to fuel Smites. I figure I can mix Smite with PaM or a SCAG cantrip and Hex. Also, Vengeance Paladin gives me quick and easy access to advantage against a creature every short rest

Second, I can only take 4 levels at most in a class. Meaning yes, I am going to be multiclassing up to 5 times. This is less of a serious build and more of a challenge so to speak. I want to make a perfectly viable character without any of those big game changing things like 3rd level spells or Extra Attack. Any combo of classes can be strong if they just get access to 3rd level spells and Extra Attack. Its a lot more interesting to make the cut off level 4. And since this is an AL build, I do plan to go from level 1 to 20, so I'll get to see how it plays at all tiers. I will admit, I came up with the idea before Puffin Forest made that video with Absurd X3

That said, I do notice most people are suggesting Rogue...I could make it work. I think the trickiest part is that, no matter what I do, I'll have really low DPR unless I take a SCAG cantrip. But if I do take the SCAG cantrips, I'll have to give up Xanathar's. Which means I can't just focus on Charisma since I won't be able to use Hexblade. It is do-able, I could max out Dex and use that as my attack stat. However I'd either need to have no feats, 18 Charisma, or 10 Wisdom. Though I guess I could go with 18 Dex instead, but I'm not sure having an 18 in my main attacking stat would work out in Tier 4.

Considering Paladin is forcing a Str minimum, I'd just drop it and get your DPR from Sneak Attack and upcasting Shadow Blade, pick up Fighter (Battlemaster) and take dueling and you'll end up with a pretty decent DPR through all tiers (especially as you factor in Hex etc.). Seeing as you won't ever hit Extra attack Gloom Stalker would be a very valuable dip but Wisdom doesn't lend itself to this kind of thing as well as Charisma.

sithlordnergal
2019-07-28, 11:28 AM
Considering Paladin is forcing a Str minimum, I'd just drop it and get your DPR from Sneak Attack and upcasting Shadow Blade, pick up Fighter (Battlemaster) and take dueling and you'll end up with a pretty decent DPR through all tiers (especially as you factor in Hex etc.). Seeing as you won't ever hit Extra attack Gloom Stalker would be a very valuable dip but Wisdom doesn't lend itself to this kind of thing as well as Charisma.

Ohhh, I hadn't thought of that.