PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones d20

RamrodTheWizard
2007-10-10, 02:53 PM
Hey everyone, I just picked up The Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin and I'm wondering if the rpg based off of it is any good? My local game store has a copy so I've been considering picking it up. Any personal experiences or mechanical critiques?

Lemur
2007-10-10, 03:35 PM
I've never had the chance to play it, but my brother has the book, and it's pretty interesting. The system is set up to produce combats which are dangerous and potentially lethal, and the setting makes it clear that simply perfecting one's combat abilities will not guarantee one's survival. I personally like the flavor and mechanics in it quite a bit, but it sort of hinges on how much grittiness you like.

It's also worth pointing out that Green Ronin is coming out with their own Game of Thrones campaign setting book at some point, since the company that made the current version went under, and therefore can't make more books :smallfrown:

DraPrime
2007-10-10, 03:37 PM
Where do I find the original Game of Thrones RPG? I imagine that magic can't play a big part in it. Clerics (or septons, whichever you prefer) don't get any powers, and mages live in obscure areas way of to the east.

RamrodTheWizard
2007-10-10, 03:40 PM
Where do I find the original Game of Thrones RPG? I imagine that magic can't play a big part in it. Clerics (or septons, whichever you prefer) don't get any powers, and mages live in obscure areas way of to the east.

The internet probably, but because the company that wrote it tanked it will be on the upside of $70. Luckily for me the store I frequent is selling it at cover price, which is $45.

I'm interested in the Green Ronin reprint, if they stay faithful to the original system from what I know of it, it will be great. They will most likely fold it into True20 though, which I'm not enthusiastic about.

Edit: here is a link http://www.amazon.com/Game-Thrones-D20-Based-Gaming-Scorcery/dp/1588469425/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-0968295-9544164?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192049471&sr=8-1

DraPrime
2007-10-10, 04:08 PM
Looks great. I'm thinking of playing it with my local group.

RamrodTheWizard
2007-10-10, 05:09 PM
A few of the people in my group might like it, and I know for a fact one of them is seriously interested in it as well. My only worry is my friend who pretty much only plays casters and may consider this "stomping on his balls" and "lacking in creative options", which is absurd, but to each his own I guess.

Krrth
2007-10-10, 06:11 PM
Just be warned, combat is DEADLY. Fatigue is a danger, and with no magical healing, wounds are problematical. Skills play a *very* large part of the game as well.

DraPrime
2007-10-10, 06:16 PM
Just be warned, combat is DEADLY. Fatigue is a danger, and with no magical healing, wounds are problematical. Skills play a *very* large part of the game as well.

I kind of like the sound of this. With no magic, and combat being seriously dangerous players will be forced to play smart.

Krrth
2007-10-10, 06:33 PM
Playing smart is the only way to survive. I don't have the book in fornt of me, but I think it uses the massive damage threshold as well (threshold = con). Also, I believe heavy armor tires you out more quickly.