PDA

View Full Version : Tenser's Transformation

Elvenis
2019-07-28, 05:15 AM
Hi all, I love the concept behind the Tenser's Transformation spell, introduced by the Xanatar's book. I think it's very strong, capable of throwing a magician into a fray without envy for the pure warriors.

Tenser’s Transformation
A spell from Xanathar's Guide To Everything
Transmutation

Level: 6
Casting time: 1 Action
Range: Self
Components: V, S, M (a few hairs from a bull)
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes
You endow yourself with endurance and martial prowess fueled by magic. Until the spell ends, you can’t cast spells, and you gain the following benefits:
- You gain 50 temporary hit points. If any of these remain when the spell ends, they are lost.
- You have advantage on attack rolls that you make with simple and martial weapons.
- When you hit a target with a weapon attack, that target takes an extra 2d12 force
damage.
- You have proficiency with all armor, shields, simple weapons, and martial weapons.
- You have proficiency in Strength and Constitution saving throws.
- You can attack twice, instead of once, when you take the Attack action on your turn. You ignore this benefit if you already have a feature, like Extra Attack, that gives you extra attacks.

I tried to create a couple of optimal builds for Tenser followers, one faithful and one unfaithful. Tell me what you think, and what you think of the spell in general

This is a nice build, huge damage in Tenser form, very high defense in Human form

Disciple of Tenser

2 Paladin (Oath of Treachery)
[1] Divine Sense, Lay on Hand
[2] Fighting Style (Defense), Divine Smite

16 Wizard (War Magic)
[2] Arcane Deflection, Tactical Wit
[4] Ability Improvement (Dexterity)
[8] Ability Improvement (Elven Accuracy)
[10] Durable Magic
[12] Feat (Crossbow Expert)
[14] Deflecting Shroud
[16] Feat (Sharpshooter)

[3] Channel Divinity (Poison Strike)
[4] Feat (Alert)

10 Str
20 Dex
14 Cos
14 Int
10 Wis
10 Cha

ST= 2[8], 7, 4[10], 10, 8, 8

+12 Initiative
HP = 130 [180]
AC (Tenser Form) = Light Armor + 5 (dex) + 1 (Defense) + 2 (Durable Magic).
AC (Human Form)= Light Armor + 5 (dex) + 1 + 2 + Shield + 2 (Haste). Is up to 32 with +3 Shield/Armor/Deflection

Tenser Attack (Ranged, Sharpshooter, Advantage, Elven Accuracy, 19/20) = 94 (3d6 + 45 + 6d12) + 24 (Poison Strike)

This character has a huge Divine Smite Pool (68d8), use it on critical to deal twice that damage

On Critical = 16 (1d6 + 2d12) + 18-80 (4d8 – 20d8) bonus damage

On Reaction = 24 damage

[1st][2nd][4th][5th][9th] - Divine Smite Pool (68d8)
[3rd] Haste © [3]
[6th][7th][8th] Tenser’s Transformation © [3]

I thought of this build to maximize the advantage and critical chances of the transformation. On average, one of the full attack shots should almost always deliver a critical hit

The second build is the one I'm currently playing. Unfortunately, like the first one, it reaches its full potential at a very advanced game, but meanwhile both characters are solid and do their job without problems.

Betrayer of Tenser

Human [-] Polearm Mastery

1 Hexblade

8 Oathbreaker
[2] Defense , Divine Smite, Channel Divinity
[4] Ability Improvement (Charisma)
[5] Extra Attack
[6] Charisma on TS
[7] Charisma on Damage
[8] Ability Improvement (Charisma)

11 Necromancer
[1] Arcane Recovery
[2] Grim Harvest
[4] Feat (Inspiring Leader)
[6] Undead Thralls
[8] Ability (Great Weapon Master)
[10] Inured to Undeath

ST: 16, 7, 14, 10, 12, 16

+2 Initiative
HP = 152 [202]
AC =21
Great Weapon Master Attack = 112 (2d10 + 1d4 + 60 + 6d12) damage

Powerful but restricted undead army (4 skeletons, 2 wights and/or 5 skeletons) boosted with Aura of Protection, Aura of Hate, Undead Thralls, Aid (spell), Danse Macabre (spell), Inspiring Leader (feat)

According to my background, this character was a follower of Tenser, the Archmagi. He gave him his word that he would vote his life for his cause. He broke his oath when he saw his master engaging the struggle transformed into a being of pure violence, capable of keeping up with an entire army. He asked to be initiated into the secret behind that transformation, which had denied him. Convinced that that power would allow him to eliminate evil from the world, he abandoned Tenser and accepted the help of a sorcerer. Too late he realized that the new master was corrupting his soul, and that the price he demanded was damnation

If someone wants to try it, since it is a bit complicated to explain in a few lines, I have created a small step by step guide

Human (Polearm Expert)
[1] Oathbreaker
[2] Hexblade (Hexblade’s Curse, Hex Warrior)
[3] Oathbreaker (Defense, Control Undead, Divine Smite)
[4] Oathbreaker

AC = Studded Armor + Dex (2) + Shield + Defense (1)
HP= 32
Attack (+6)= 1d6 + 1d4 + 6 = 12
[1st] Bless ©, Hex ©

If you have the chance to encounter undead enemies, take control of one of them. Beware, you are wandering around with a fu**ing Undead. Best choice for this level is the Minotaur Skeleton.

Minotaur Skeleton
12 AC, 82hp, -3 ST
Charge= 9 (2d8) damage + Knock down (DC 14)
Great Axe Attack (+6)= 17 (2d12 + 4) damage

[5] Oathbreaker (Ability Improvement - Charisma)
[6] Oathbreaker (Aura of Protection)
[7] Oathbreaker (Aura of Hate)
[8] Oathbreaker
[9] Oathbreaker (Ability Improvement - Charisma)

AC = Studded Armor + Dex (2) + Shield + Defense (1)
HP = 56 [61]
Quarterstaff attack = 2d6 + 1d4 + 30 = 39

[1st] Bless ©, Hex ©
[2nd] Aid

If I’d be the DM, I wouldn’t allow this, but otherwise I suggest you find a Wraith. His second power, Create Specter, grants you an undead army much early, empowered by your auras (Aura of Protection, Aura of Hate) and spells (Aid).

Wraith
13 AC, 72hp, Resistance to all damage, Immune to all conditions, 41 ST
Attack (+6/flanking/disadvantage in sunlight) = 26 (4d8 + 8) damage

Specter [7]
12 AC, 27hp, Resistance to all damage, Immune to all conditions, 31 ST
Attack (+4/flanking/disadvantage in sunlight) = 105 [7 x 15 (3d6 + 5)] damage

[10] Wizard (Arcane Recovery)
[11] Wizard (Grim Harvest)
[12] Wizard
[13] Wizard (Feat - Inspiring Leader)
[14] Wizard
[15] Wizard (Undead Thralls)

HP= 80 [105]
AC= Studded armor + Dex (2) + Shield + Defense (1)
Quarterstaff Hasted Booming Blade = 2d6 + 1d4 + 30 + 7d8 = 70
[1st] Hex ©
[2nd] Hellish Rebuke
[3rd] Haste ©
[4th] Animate Dead, Aid
[5th] Armor of Agathys

Now you can start your wizardry career. After some levels, your damage will increase significantly with Haste and Animate Dead. You could raise up a skeleton army but is better to have few and tougher creatures at your side. 6 Skeletons with you 4th level Animate Dead, blessed with your Auras, spells and abilities. You can command them to Kill you enemies, to grapple them (Hex your enemies and choose Strength curse), to protect you, and so on. Attack with Booming Blade, is hard an enemy will stay at his place with a horde of skeletons in front of him

Skeleton [6]
13 AC, 60 hp, 28 ST
Shortsword attack (+4/flanking)= 93 [6x(1d6 +12)] damage

[16 ]Wizard
[17] Wizard (Feat *)
[18] Wizard
[19] Wizard (Inured to Undeath)
[20] Wizard

Last feat is your choice. With a Belt of Giant Strength, you should pick Great Weapon Master to deal a good damage while hasted or in Tenser Form. If you prefer to wear a Headband of Intellect, you’d concentrate on Danse Macabre, then you may pick Sentinel or Shield Master to add shield bonus to Dex ST (it is very low) and take no damage if success.
Tenser’s Transformation is your best boost, and If you can’t rely on your minions, you can fight by yourself with no fear

[6th] Tenser’s Transformation Stats (with BoGS)

21 Str
14 Dex
16 Con
10 Int
12 Wis
20 Cha

ST: 16, 7, 14, 10, 12, 16 (75 total)

Great Weapon Attack = 112 (2d10 + 1d4 + 60 + 6d12) damage

[5th] Danse Macabre Stats (with BoI)
Skeleton Warrior [5]
13AC, 74hp, 28 ST
Shortsword Attack (+8/flanking) = 104 [5x(1d6 + 17)] damage

If you want to boost yourself with Haste/Tenser’s, spend your 8th level slot to keep control on 2 Wights and 4 Skeletons conjured with the 3rd level spell Animate Dead, along with 2 4th level Aid and Inspiring Leader feat to boost their health

[3rd] Animate Dead (4 Skeletons)
13AC, 70hp, 28 ST
Shortsword Attack (+4/flanking) = 66 [4x(1d6) + 13)] dmg

[8th] Create Undead (2 Wights)
14AC, 96hp, 40 ST
Longsword Attack (+4/flanking) = 69 [2x(2d8+26)] dmg

Action
[ -- ] Dreadful Aspect = Frightened around 30 ft [1/short]
[ -- ] Great Weapon Hasted Booming Blade (-5)= 117 (2d10+1d4+60+9d8) dmg
[ -- ] Great Weapon Tenser Attack (-5/advantage)= 112 (2d10+1d4+60+6d12) dmg
[5th] Bestow Curse [2]
Divine Smite pool = 5 [1st] – 3 [2nd] – 2 [4th]

Bonus Action
[ -- ] Command Undead (Grapple, Kill)
Skeletons Shortsword Attacks (-7/flanking) = 66 [4x(1d6 + 13)] dmg
Wrights Longsword Attacks (-7/flanking) = 69 [2x(2d8 + 26)] dmg
[ -- ] Polearm Master

Summon
[ -- ] Inspiring Leader
[3rd] Animate Dead: 4 Skeletons [1]
[4th] Aid = 20 Bonus hp [2]
[8th] Create Undead: 2 Wights [1]

Bless
[3rd] Haste © [2]
[6th][7th]Tenser’s Transformation © [2]

Waazraath
2019-07-28, 06:01 AM
Very nice!

Chronos
2019-07-28, 06:42 AM
It's a sixth-level spell. You get one of those per day, or eventually two in the fourth tier of play. Now, granted, in the combat you use it in, it's the only spell you'll be using, but it's still only one combat per day. You don't really want to be optimizing much around something that you can do that rarely.

Elvenis
2019-07-28, 06:53 AM
It's a sixth-level spell. You get one of those per day, or eventually two in the fourth tier of play. Now, granted, in the combat you use it in, it's the only spell you'll be using, but it's still only one combat per day. You don't really want to be optimizing much around something that you can do that rarely.

Neither of these builds rely on Tenser's transformation (both gain 4/3 uses at latest levels, you won't ever get just 1 use), it's only the ultimate power (according to the background) . Check the step by step guide, it'll explain that

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-07-28, 06:53 AM

You can always use higher level slots to cast it.

Raxxius
2019-07-28, 07:53 AM
Won't this combine with bladesong well for a frontlining experience? It offsets the weaknesses of bladesingers, low hp and no proficiency in strength.

Elvenis
2019-07-28, 08:07 AM
Won't this combine with bladesong well for a frontlining experience? It offsets the weaknesses of bladesingers, low hp and no proficiency in strength.

Sure it does, I'll try to plan something around it! The only flaw is that he cannot use neither Great Weapon Fightning nor Sharpshooter

Elvenis
2019-07-28, 09:47 AM
Another nice build, huge damage in Tenser form, very high defense in Human form

[1] Divine Sense, Lay on Hand
[2] Fighting Style (Defense), Divine Smite

16 Wizard (War Magic)
[2] Arcane Deflection, Tactical Wit
[4] Ability Improvement (Dexterity)
[8] Ability Improvement (Dexterity)
[10] Durable Magic
[12] Feat (Elven Accuracy)
[14] Deflecting Shroud
[16] Feat (Sharpshooter)

[3] Channel Divinity (Poison Strike)
[4] Feat (Crossbow Expert)

10 Str
20 Dex
14 Cos
14 Int
10 Wis
10 Cha

ST= 2[8], 7, 4[10], 10, 8, 8

+7 Initiative
HP = 130 [180]
AC (Tenser Form) = Light Armor + 5 (dex) + 1 (Defense) + 2 (Durable Magic).
AC (Human Form)= Light Armor + 5 (dex) + 1 + 2 + Shield + 2 (Haste). Is up to 32 with +3 Shield/Armor/Deflection

Tenser Attack (Ranged, Sharpshooter, Advantage, Elven Accuracy, 19/20) = 94 (3d6 + 45 + 6d12) + 24 (Poison Strike)

This character has a huge Divine Smite Pool (68d8), use it on critical to deal twice that damage

On Critical = 16 (1d6 + 2d12) + 18-80 (4d8 – 20d8) bonus damage

On Reaction = 24 damage

[1st][2nd][4th][5th][9th] - Divine Smite Pool (68d8)
[3rd] Haste © [3]
[6th][7th][8th] Tenser’s Transformation © [3]

Zuras
2019-07-28, 11:39 AM
I don’t see how any of these builds are viable outside of a Level 20 Battle Royale scenario.

To multiclass with Paladin, you need a minimum 13 Strength and 13 Charisma, even if you are building a Dex Paladin.

Additionally, I just don’t see a Wizard with a 14 Intelligence being a viable choice in Tier 4 play. All the synergy in the Oathbreaker/Hexblade/Necromancer build comes from the undead-related features and the basic OP beauty of a Paladin/Hexblade combo.

Tenser’s Transformation is a cool spell, and I agree it has a place in high level play, but it isn’t that great as a planned buff. It shines as a way for the Wizard to turn into a tank if the tank goes down. In actual play I have seen it stave off a TPK when facing enemies that attacked Intelligence or Wisdom saves, giving the fighters time to recover from being stunned while the wizard drew some aggro for once.

Elvenis
2019-07-28, 11:47 AM
I don’t see how any of these builds are viable outside of a Level 20 Battle Royale scenario.

To multiclass with Paladin, you need a minimum 13 Strength and 13 Charisma, even if you are building a Dex Paladin.

Additionally, I just don’t see a Wizard with a 14 Intelligence being a viable choice in Tier 4 play. All the synergy in the Oathbreaker/Hexblade/Necromancer build comes from the undead-related features and the basic OP beauty of a Paladin/Hexblade combo.

Tenser’s Transformation is a cool spell, and I agree it has a place in high level play, but it isn’t that great as a planned buff. It shines as a way for the Wizard to turn into a tank if the tank goes down. In actual play I have seen it stave off a TPK when facing enemies that attacked Intelligence or Wisdom saves, giving the fighters time to recover from being stunned while the wizard drew some aggro for once.

Do i need 13 charisma even if I start with the Paladin Class? War Magic is not a simple Wizard, imho it relies most on Haste + Booming Blade, high AC, in this build expending spell slots with Divine Smite (you don't need shield/absorb with war magic, they are all free slots) and so on. Not a common Wizard, I know, it is a differenti style of play

Zuras
2019-07-28, 12:02 PM
Do i need 13 charisma even if I start with the Paladin Class? War Magic is not a simple Wizard, imho it relies most on Haste + Booming Blade, high AC, in this build expending spell slots with Divine Smite (you don't need shield/absorb with war magic, they are all free slots) and so on. Not a common Wizard, I know, it is a differenti style of play

Yes, you need the requirements of both the initial class and the new class when you multiclass. See p. 163 of the PHB. Also, haste only gives you a basic weapon attack, not a full action, so you can’t do a double Booming Blade.

DracoKnight
2019-07-28, 12:34 PM
Another build I’ve seen it absolutely WRECK for: I’m currently DMing a Tier 3 table, and the College of Swords Bard took it at 14th level as one of their Magical Secrets. Lemme tell you: they’re a Two-Weapon Fighter, and with their Elven Accuracy they crit all the time.

Another single-classed character I’ve seen use it rather well is the illusionist Wizard I play alongside at another table. If we know we’re going into combat, he’ll cast Disguise Self to put himself in Full Plate, and then his first turn in combat is casting Tenser’s Transformation and using his bonus action to turn the Full Plate from his Disguise into real armor.

Elvenis
2019-07-28, 01:15 PM
Another build I’ve seen it absolutely WRECK for: I’m currently DMing a Tier 3 table, and the College of Swords Bard took it at 14th level as one of their Magical Secrets. Lemme tell you: they’re a Two-Weapon Fighter, and with their Elven Accuracy they crit all the time.

Another single-classed character I’ve seen use it rather well is the illusionist Wizard I play alongside at another table. If we know we’re going into combat, he’ll cast Disguise Self to put himself in Full Plate, and then his first turn in combat is casting Tenser’s Transformation and using his bonus action to turn the Full Plate from his Disguise into real armor.

Nice tips thank you!

Callak_Remier
2019-07-28, 05:52 PM
Its honestly a bad spell.

Rukelnikov
2019-07-28, 06:07 PM
IMO the best TT user is the Whispers Bard,

Helf
Hexblade 1/Whisper Bard16

14(13+1)
16(15+1)
20(15+2+1+2)

ASI: XBE, EA(Cha), SS, +2 Cha

Magical Secrets: Find Greater Steed, TT, 2 more (Contingency, Counterspell or something else)

Pick a Rhinoceros, cast TT being mounted, then unmount and let it fight independently, Rhino attacks twice a round for 4d8+2d12+5, you get 3 attacks of 1d4+1d12+15, and an extra 8d6 1/round

Elvenis
2019-07-29, 01:35 AM
IMO the best TT user is the Whispers Bard,

Helf
Hexblade 1/Whisper Bard16

14(13+1)
16(15+1)
20(15+2+1+2)

ASI: XBE, EA(Cha), SS, +2 Cha

Magical Secrets: Find Greater Steed, TT, 2 more (Contingency, Counterspell or something else)

Pick a Rhinoceros, cast TT being mounted, then unmount and let it fight independently, Rhino attacks twice a round for 4d8+2d12+5, you get 3 attacks of 1d4+1d12+15, and an extra 8d6 1/round

You are right, it works well with Bard and EA, blade flourish (in conjunction with divine smite, adding 2 paladin levels at last) on critical hit is really nice.
If dex-based (20Dex/16Cha/14Cos, Shadow Elf grants +2 dexterity, +1 charisma, d4 bonus dice on performance/stealth checks, add 1 Rogue level instead of Hexblade to get sneak attack and double proficiency bonus on performance/stealth), it would get better initiative, excellent hiding skill for advantage, dual-wielding option (Whisper's Bard Fightning Style) and Guardian of Nature for another advantage-guaranteed boost, sacrificing some BI uses and spellcasting versatility.
Even Swift Quiver may be a good choice for 10th level magical secrets, if u choose to get XBE at last relying on DW early-mid levels, or Simulacrum at 14 to get hasted in Tenser form and more tricks

Rukelnikov
2019-07-29, 09:44 AM
You are right, it works well with Bard and EA, blade flourish (in conjunction with divine smite, adding 2 paladin levels at last) on critical hit is really nice.
If dex-based (20Dex/16Cha/14Cos, Shadow Elf grants +2 dexterity, +1 charisma, d4 bonus dice on performance/stealth checks, add 1 Rogue level instead of Hexblade to get sneak attack and double proficiency bonus on performance/stealth), it would get better initiative, excellent hiding skill for advantage, dual-wielding option (Whisper's Bard Fightning Style) and Guardian of Nature for another advantage-guaranteed boost, sacrificing some BI uses and spellcasting versatility.
Even Swift Quiver may be a good choice for 10th level magical secrets, if u choose to get XBE at last relying on DW early-mid levels, or Simulacrum at 14 to get hasted in Tenser form and more tricks

Swift Quiver is conc, so you cant use it with TT, and Whisper Bards don't get Fighting Style, what they get is the ranged smite to use with XBE, the important part though is the Find Greater Steed, which adds an immense ammount od DPR and tanking.

Segev
2019-07-29, 09:47 AM
Is it just me, or is the proficienty with armor useless in this spell? It only lasts 10 minutes, and you can't effectively cast it while already in armor if you're not proficient in said armor. So you have to cast it, then maintain Concentration while donning armor, THEN take however many minutes are left of the spell's maximum duration to go fight.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-07-29, 09:50 AM
Is it just me, or is the proficienty with armor useless in this spell? It only lasts 10 minutes, and you can't effectively cast it while already in armor if you're not proficient in said armor. So you have to cast it, then maintain Concentration while donning armor, THEN take however many minutes are left of the spell's maximum duration to go fight.

Light Armor 1 minute
Medium Armor 5 minutes
Heavy Armor 10 minutes

Rukelnikov
2019-07-29, 09:58 AM

It kinda is, maybe if you get some Saint Seiya Cloth you could bypass the armor donning time, and get something out of it, otherwise its mostly useless (Mainly since you don't wanna be trapped in armor you are not normally proficient with in case you caoncentration fails, or enemies simply cast Dispel Magic)

Talsin
2019-07-29, 10:27 AM
As a player, it's fantastic for a melee bard, or even arcana cleric.

As a DM, it's a great way to model a BBEG "Final Form" and/or give as a single-use buff to a player. Need some way for your honor-bound friend to solo a dragon? Give him a nip of Tenser's Tonic... too bad it wears off when an ally starts to help him out...

NNescio
2019-07-29, 10:42 AM
It kinda is, maybe if you get some Saint Seiya Cloth you could bypass the armor donning time, and get something out of it, otherwise its mostly useless (Mainly since you don't wanna be trapped in armor you are not normally proficient with in case you caoncentration fails, or enemies simply cast Dispel Magic)

But mooks are supposed to ignore the you while you're going through your Magical Girl Transformation Sequence (physical)!

Jokes aside, I suppose an Illusionist with Seeming up can make illusory armor real via Illusory Reality, unless you're going with a more restrictive interpretation of "When..." (that supercedes "...while the spell is ongoing").

Segev
2019-07-29, 11:04 AM
Jokes aside, I suppose an Illusionist with Seeming up can make illusory armor real via Illusory Reality, unless you're going with a more restrictive interpretation of "When..." (that supercedes "...while the spell is ongoing").

That's a fairly clever idea, though awfully niche when only one subclass of Wizard can do it.

Rukelnikov
2019-07-29, 11:26 AM
But mooks are supposed to ignore the you while you're going through your Magical Girl Transformation Sequence (physical)!

Rude mooks! They have no respect for tradition!

Yeah, the Seeming + Illusory Reality thing came up in another thread (about god Illusionits), the idea there was an OFFENSIVE use, use Seeming to put a full plate on an enemy non-cleric caster, make it real... no more caster for the rest of the fight ;)

And to really rustle jimmies... put a full plate on an enemy Druid and make it real :smallbiggrin:

NNescio
2019-07-29, 11:38 AM
That's a fairly clever idea, though awfully niche when only one subclass of Wizard can do it.

"Hello, students! Welcome to your first day of Illusion College. Before we begin, would any of you like to share why you chose our noble profession?"

"I want to dazzle and befuddle my foes!"

(chorus) "What he said."

"The Plane of Shadow fascinates me and I heard certain spells in the School of Illusion deals with manipulating its essence."

"I'd like to become a world-class entertainer. Not the singing kind though, not like my father. I prefer more of a visual flair. I have dreams, dreams of... Moving Pictures..."

"Oh, I'd love to sneak into the girls' do... er, the dragon's lair and get some... er, booty..."

"It is my fondest desire to be a knight in shining armor, but no matter how hard I try, I couldn't learn how to use a sword proficiently, much less doing so in full plate. As such I believe the School of Illusion provides the best opportunities for me to pursue my ambition."

<AWKWARD SILENCE>

Segev
2019-07-29, 12:34 PM
"Hello, students! Welcome to your first day of Illusion College. Before we begin, would any of you like to share why you chose our noble profession?"

"I want to dazzle and befuddle my foes!"

(chorus) "What he said."

"The Plane of Shadow fascinates me and I heard certain spells in the School of Illusion deals with manipulating its essence."

"I'd like to become a world-class entertainer. Not the singing kind though, not like my father. I prefer more of a visual flair. I have dreams, dreams of... Moving Pictures..."

"Oh, I'd love to sneak into the girls' do... er, the dragon's lair and get some... er, booty..."

"It is my fondest desire to be a knight in shining armor, but no matter how hard I try, I couldn't learn how to use a sword proficiently, much less doing so in full plate. As such I believe the School of Illusion provides the best opportunities for me to pursue my ambition."

<AWKWARD SILENCE>
"I just want to make others play make-believe with me. By my rules."
"You do realize we have a course for dungeon masters down the hall, right?"

Vogie
2019-07-29, 01:09 PM
Tenser’s Transformation
A spell from Xanathar's Guide To Everything
Transmutation

Level: 6
Casting time: 1 Action
Range: Self
Components: V, S, M (a few hairs from a bull)
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes
You endow yourself with endurance and martial prowess fueled by magic. Until the spell ends, you can’t cast spells, and you gain the following benefits:
- You gain 50 temporary hit points. If any of these remain when the spell ends, they are lost.
- You have advantage on attack rolls that you make with simple and martial weapons.
- When you hit a target with a weapon attack, that target takes an extra 2d12 force damage.
- You have proficiency with all armor, shields, simple weapons, and martial weapons.
- You have proficiency in Strength and Constitution saving throws.
- You can attack twice, instead of once, when you take the Attack action on your turn. You ignore this benefit if you already have a feature, like Extra Attack, that gives you extra attacks.

If you allow some minor homebrew, You could also make TT a scaling spell.

Tenser's Transformation (scaling) 2nd level:

You gain 10 temporary hit points. If any of these remain when the spell ends, they are lost.
You have proficiency with all armor, shields, simple weapons, and martial weapons.
When you hit a target with a weapon attack, that target takes an extra 1d6 force damage.
You have proficiency in Strength and Constitution saving throws.

At Higher Levels - When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level, the damage changes to 1d12, the temporary hit points increase by 20 and You can attack twice, instead of once, when you take the Attack action on your turn (You ignore this benefit if you already have a feature, like Extra Attack, that gives you extra attacks). The damage increases by 1d12 and the temporary hit points increase by 20 for every two slot levels above 4th. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 6th level or higher, You also have advantage on attack rolls that you make with simple and martial weapons for the duration.

Talsin
2019-07-29, 03:00 PM
If you allow some minor homebrew, You could also make TT a scaling spell.

Tenser's Transformation (scaling) 2nd level:

You gain 10 temporary hit points. If any of these remain when the spell ends, they are lost.
You have proficiency with all armor, shields, simple weapons, and martial weapons.
When you hit a target with a weapon attack, that target takes an extra 1d6 force damage.
You have proficiency in Strength and Constitution saving throws.

At Higher Levels - When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level, the damage changes to 1d12, the temporary hit points increase by 20 and You can attack twice, instead of once, when you take the Attack action on your turn (You ignore this benefit if you already have a feature, like Extra Attack, that gives you extra attacks). The damage increases by 1d12 and the temporary hit points increase by 20 for every two slot levels above 4th. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 6th level or higher, You also have advantage on attack rolls that you make with simple and martial weapons for the duration.

Oooo I like that!

GlenSmash!
2019-07-29, 03:11 PM
3+ Artificer Battlesmith/11+ Wizard school of Illusion (or War Mage if I want to forgo Fullplate EDIT: if concentration on a spell before the transformation +2 to AC and saving throws is better anyway) is probably how I would go about it.

Not mad in the slightest. Max Int and go to town. It would work with GWM, SS, PAM, and Elven accuracy, or some combo of those feats.