PDA

View Full Version : Permanent magic jar

Noxangelo
2019-07-28, 07:40 AM
This is probably common knowledge here, but when I was trying to find a way to make it permanent on the the forums, the only way I could find was ridiculous, convoluted and of questionable legality. So I am going to put this here to help people like myself and also, hopefully, as a way for people to query the community on the finer points of it.

In the book of vile darkness (BoVD) there is a spell named imprison possessor:

The caster traps one creature that can possess or inhabit other creatures, or one that can move its mind out of its body, within the creature it currently inhabits. Potential targets include possessing demons, malevolent ghosts, and a caster currently using a magic jar spell. The possessing creature cannot leave the body it is currently in, whether or not it is its own, by any means.

Though, I am curious, what happens when imprison possessor is dispelled after magic jar's duration has expired?
Also can you donate the soul of your victim toward your next magic item with the souls as power rules also from BoVD?

Mr Adventurer
2019-07-28, 08:43 AM
Magic Jar talks about life force, not soul; the quote you provide also uses "mind" and doesn't say "soul". So, I'd say no to your second question.

Presumably you refer to the text about ending the Magic Jar spell if Imprison Possessor is dispelled.

Segev
2019-07-29, 11:07 AM
If you want to be a discount lich, you could create a magic item that is a continuously-active magic jar. It would be 7*13*2000 gp (x2 if you want it not to take an item slot) = 182,000 gp, and you could just keep swapping bodies in range of your magic jar as long as you liked.

Mr Adventurer
2019-07-29, 11:53 AM
Nice. Don't forget to make it out of Riverine and also enhance it with continuous Spell Immunity (disintegrate).