PDA

View Full Version : Deadly Lahar's viability

TheNerfGuy
2019-07-28, 10:10 AM
How viable of a spell is Deadly Lahar?

From what I've read on it, it's an area effect cone that deals 10d6 fire and forces a Reflex save for half damage; those who fail take 5d6 fire for the next 3 rounds, and they're slowed for that long.

Assuming they fail, that's basically 25d6 fire damage over time.

Is this a viable spell for its level?

Cygnia
2019-07-28, 10:21 AM
Where is this spell found?

Darrin
2019-07-28, 10:59 AM
Where is this spell found?

Complete Mage p. 101.

There are several different "napalm-ish" spells that do damage to creatures in an area over time by submerging or covering them with a very hot or burning material:

Deadly Lahar (Complete Mage)
Lava Splash (Serpent Kingdoms)
Scalding Mud (Sandstorm)
Storm of Fire and Ice (Complete Mage)
Transmute Rock to Lava (Spell Compendium)
Wall of Magma (Sandstorm)

My conclusion was scalding mud was probably the most effective spell, although it depends a lot on the proper environment to get the most out of it. If you can cast it on a rock/stone ceiling above your target, then you get 8d6 bludgeoning damage (Ref save for half damage). The scalding mud then spreads out to a depth of 5 feet, which for most medium-sized targets should mean they are completely submerged. Completely submerged targets take 10d6 fire damage every round, no save. Targets that are just mired in the mud take 5d6 fire damage every round, no save. If the targets are just standing on top of the mud, they take 1d6 fire damage every round, no save. If you get out of the scalding mud, you still take 1d6 fire damage for 1d3 subsequent rounds, no save.

Deadly lahar, lava splash, storm of fire and ice, and transmute rock to lava all allow a save for half damage, so they are likely to wind up doing around 5d6 to 6d6 damage. Wall of magma allows a Ref save if you try to enclose someone with it, but it can't be summoned on top of creatures, and even if they do get submerged in it, the damage for full immersion was a little lackluster at 5d6+1/CL.

If you're in an environment where you can't cast scalding mud on rock/stone that is directly above your opponents, then one of the other spells might be more effective.

tyckspoon
2019-07-28, 07:56 PM
How viable of a spell is Deadly Lahar?

From what I've read on it, it's an area effect cone that deals 10d6 fire and forces a Reflex save for half damage; those who fail take 5d6 fire for the next 3 rounds, and they're slowed for that long.

Assuming they fail, that's basically 25d6 fire damage over time.

Is this a viable spell for its level?

Decent effect, too high a spell level. Would be pretty ok at .. I feel like 6th?

False God
2019-07-28, 08:17 PM
Would be fun pumped up a little as a breath weapon. On it's own it's kinda OK.

I agree with the above that Scalding Mud is probably the best, especially if you can get it above them. Same with Transmute Rock to Lava in a cave or something.

Lava Splash is probably a better deal if you can already cast 8th level spells.