PDA

View Full Version : Would this produce an undead, and if so what kind?

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-07-28, 06:25 PM
So, if you get dragged into the Dreamheart you suffer 25 points of damage per turn, most likely killing you quickly, which also kills your body back in the real world.

This question is not about that. What happens if you survive in the Dreamheart (I'm thinking Dragonscale Husk + sonic resistance 5 from somewhere), leaving your body helpless in the real world... and someone kills your body?

I assume that would have some sort of effect on the you still stuck in the Dreamheart. Would it turn your dream self into some kind of undead? What kind?

EDIT: The result is almost certainly death; but if you then came back as an undead, are there any kinds that would be especially appropriate?

DrMotives
2019-07-28, 06:51 PM
Would you even know you're dead? Sounds very "Sixth Sense", so I'm going to go with a ghost, or some other non-corporeal undead. Specter would work too.

Crake
2019-07-28, 08:43 PM
Uhh, I'm pretty sure if your body is killed while you're in the dreamheart, you still die, you don't get detatched from your body by going to the dreamheart, quite the opposite in fact, you become MORE attached, to the point where dying in the dream heart results in a real death.

MisterKaws
2019-07-28, 08:58 PM
Uhh, I'm pretty sure if your body is killed while you're in the dreamheart, you still die, you don't get detatched from your body by going to the dreamheart, quite the opposite in fact, you become MORE attached, to the point where dying in the dream heart results in a real death.

This I guess.

Half-Dragon with a number of different species can give sonic immunity, I think. Also maybe some draconic feats.

Thurbane
2019-07-28, 09:12 PM
This I guess.

Half-Dragon with a number of different species can give sonic immunity, I think. Also maybe some draconic feats.

According to RotD, the following Half-Dragons get immunity to sonic: Battle, Emerald and Howling.

Jay R
2019-07-28, 09:45 PM
If the rules don't give an answer, then it's determined by DM judgment.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-07-28, 10:54 PM

I don't disagree about the dying part.

I do disagree that you're more attached to your body in the Dreamheart. When killed in a mere dreamscape, you wake up instead of dying because you're still firmly attached to your body. In the Dreamheart, not only is it harder to wake up, if killed you actually die. That suggests to me that you're more separated from your physical body, because it's harder to 'snap back' to the safety it offers. And of course if your mind dies your body can't survive without it (the "Matrix" principle).

For the sake of the argument, let's assume that's right. Now you come back as an intelligent undead of some flavor. I'd say there's at least a chance it would come back at the location of your mind rather than the location of your body. (Although that would make for a pretty good plot hook if both came back separately and had to try to reunite...). Depending on DM fiat, death like this might just result in an immediate transformation of the 'Dreamheart self' (for lack of a better phrase) into the appropriate kind of undead.

But I take it there's no already existing undead themed around people who died while astral projecting, dreaming, sleeping, or anything else thematically related to this situation? (Aside from Dream Vestiges, which are created when people are trapped dreaming on a mass-scale).

Psyren
2019-07-29, 12:02 AM
If someone kills your body while your mind is off in a normal dream, would that version of you die too? Yes? Then why would the Dreamheart be any different?

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-07-29, 12:33 AM
If someone kills your body while your mind is off in a normal dream, would that version of you die too? Yes? Then why would the Dreamheart be any different?

I don't disagree about the dying part.

No, no different. Are there any types of undead thematically linked to such a death?

Thurbane
2019-07-29, 12:49 AM
No, no different. Are there any types of undead thematically linked to such a death?

Dream Vestige from Libris Mortis is vaguely thematic, but as a CR16 Huge Undead, may be overkill...

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-07-29, 01:37 PM
Dream Vestige from Libris Mortis is vaguely thematic, but as a CR16 Huge Undead, may be overkill...

Yeah, according to the fluff it takes a whole city's worth of dreamers to create one. Although that would be a pretty hilarious punishment for a player abusing dragging people into the Dreamheart; all their victims form a Dream Vestige and come after them...