PDA

View Full Version : ranger spell bladestorm plus multiple weapons..

animewatcha
2019-07-28, 08:33 PM
So normally bladestorm is a crappy spell. Going by spell compendium's text it goes by each weapon you wield / end ( double weapon ). So you have a weapon in each hand, elbow blade, unarmed strike, boot blade, armor spikes, etc. You cast this spell and you get to make a high number of attacks per creature within reach?

Zaq
2019-07-29, 06:36 PM
“Using the normal rules for two-weapon fighting” is a potential wrinkle. Having four weapons available doesn’t normally mean that you get four attacks under the “normal” TWF rules. (Yeah, feats and other game elements can change this; not my point.)

On the other hand, the spell does specify that you get to use “each weapon you are currently wielding.” How clearly does the game define “currently wielding”?

TBH it’s still hard to abuse the spell unless you get it in item form somehow. An actual ranger can’t spam it, while an archivist either needs to burn more magic bringing their gi****ude up (in which case they’ll be as scary as their op-fu allows, with or without this spell) or just won’t be super threatening. And you need to already be in position and you can’t even rely on Travel Devotion to get you where you need to go. Considering the limits, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to lean towards your proposed interpretation.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-07-29, 06:41 PM
The problem with that is this line of the spell:

using the normal rules for two-weapon fighting (PH 160)

TWF only allows for two weapons; you could make the argument that since Multiweapon Fighting "replaces Two Weapon Fighting" you could attack with a weapon in every hand you had (if you had the feat, that is), but even that wouldn't let you attack with additional elbow blades/boot blades/armor spikes. Which is a shame, because that would be cool.

EDIT: This thread has been up for almost 24 hours. I still got ninja'd by 5 minutes.

RNightstalker
2019-07-29, 06:59 PM
I can honestly see your point concerning the weapons you listed. At the bare minimum I personally would require the PC to burn a feat or two on some Multi-Weapon Fighting feats in order to be considered "wielding" the spikes and body blades mentioned. I would even allow it to work if someone was going to invest the levels required to be able to cast 3rd level Ranger spells considering the traditional GitP view of the Ranger not being the sharpest knife in the drawer to play with, especially if it was a high-op adventure/campaign.