PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Woeforged

Jowgen
2019-07-29, 12:09 AM
Forge of War has a 1 paragraph entry on the existence of Woeforged. Essentially undead warforged, who apparently work exactly like regular Warforged, except they are healed by negative energy instead of positive energy (which I assume damages them).

Their origin is tied to the whole Mournland thing, which is setting specific. Normally Warforged can't become any kind of undead (it's kind of a sticking point for living construct racists... constracists?), so your average create undead shouldn't be able to replicate.

So my question is, what would you consider a good, repeatable, setting-neutral process/procedure someone sufficiently versed in the appropriate magics could use to convert a Warforged into a Woeforged?

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-07-29, 12:18 AM
How to turn a warforged undead: make it wear black eyeliner and lipstick, and listen to way too much Linkin Park and Evanescence?

Lord Raziere
2019-07-29, 12:20 AM
what are practical differences between Woeforged and Warforged? they just need an inflict rather than a cure spell?

if thats all I'd allow it. its almost a disadvantage really. you have to constantly explain to people you need negative energy to be healed after battle. the only point where it'd advantageous is when you run into a cleric and they use some powerful harmful touch spell....and it heals the woeforged completely and they're like "thanks" and bashes their head in, which I guess would be a great character moment if your willing to wait that long?

and it doesn't seem like that hard of a thing to possibly do- people know positive and negative energy exist, people know undead exist and work, and people know Woeforged exist. the only question is why anyone would BOTHER doing it even if its easily possible, because all it does is switch around which spells does what to them and make it more confusing to heal or hurt them with divine magic. I mean if your building a specialized team of Woeforged for something involving negative energy its probably incredibly useful, but other than that....

Mr Adventurer
2019-07-29, 12:51 AM
Forge of War has a 1 paragraph entry on the existence of Woeforged. Essentially undead warforged, who apparently work exactly like regular Warforged, except they are healed by negative energy instead of positive energy (which I assume damages them).

Their origin is tied to the whole Mournland thing, which is setting specific. Normally Warforged can't become any kind of undead (it's kind of a sticking point for living construct racists... constracists?), so your average create undead shouldn't be able to replicate.

So my question is, what would you consider a good, repeatable, setting-neutral process/procedure someone sufficiently versed in the appropriate magics could use to convert a Warforged into a Woeforged?

Create Undead having studied an example.

What does their description say about the role of the Mournland specifically? Are they made from existing Warforged or are they born that way?

VariSami
2019-07-29, 01:47 AM
Personal take: They are just Warforged who have the Tomb-Tainted Soul feat. Simplest and most elegant way to emulate this, at the very least.

redking
2019-07-29, 04:05 AM
Personal take: They are just Warforged who have the Tomb-Tainted Soul feat. Simplest and most elegant way to emulate this, at the very least.

This ⇈. The woeforged don't seem to be genuine undead.

Telonius
2019-07-29, 05:46 AM
Open up a dead warforged, and find the master circuit. Take it out and stick it in backwards. Then find the motivators and reverse the polarity. Then jumpstart it with a bit of negative energy, and you're good to go.

(In Eberron, the magical weirdness of the Mournlands might be what's reversing the polarity).

Falontani
2019-07-29, 10:04 AM
There are undead templates that may be applied to "any living corporeal creature"

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-07-29, 10:13 AM
Take Human Heritage or Human Blood, then apply something like necropolitan. Justify it by saying that your soul is a reincarnated soul of a human, possibly because your body's internal framework is composed of human bones that attracted said soul in the creation forge. A bit macabre, but it works.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-07-29, 05:59 PM
Take Human Heritage or Human Blood, then apply something like necropolitan. Justify it by saying that your soul is a reincarnated soul of a human, possibly because your body's internal framework is composed of human bones that attracted said soul in the creation forge. A bit macabre, but it works.

At the risk of stating the obvious, how exactly would a Warforged ever qualify for Human Heritage? I'm all for interpretive license as far as what qualifies, but "literally forged whole out of metal and wood" is about as far from "human descended race" as you can possibly get. Hmm... actually, was there ever a definitive process for creating Warforged? Maybe a human soul or something is required to animate them, a la Full Metal Alchemist. I'd probably allow it then, as a DM.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-07-29, 06:19 PM
At the risk of stating the obvious, how exactly would a Warforged ever qualify for Human Heritage? I'm all for interpretive license as far as what qualifies, but "literally forged whole out of metal and wood" is about as far from "human descended race" as you can possibly get. Hmm... actually, was there ever a definitive process for creating Warforged? Maybe a human soul or something is required to animate them, a la Full Metal Alchemist. I'd probably allow it then, as a DM.As you said, if human parts were involved...

There's also polymorph shenanigans, and the fact that humans can and do mate with almost anything. We're apparently almost as bad as dragons.

And metal and wood aren't the only materials that go into warforged creation, since psionic crystal is often used, and warforged qualify for numerous 'half-X' templates. It's up to the player's and DM's imaginations, really.

Zaq
2019-07-29, 06:25 PM
As you said, if human parts were involved...

I live on... THROUGH THIS ARM!

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-07-29, 06:27 PM
I live on... THROUGH THIS ARM!

You could totally pull a reverse Edward Elric with a flesh grafted arm and leg!

Thurbane
2019-07-29, 06:51 PM
Not very PC friendly, but Tainted By The Abyss > Gravetouched Ghoul templates make Warforged into undead...