PDA

View Full Version : Player Help So my Lizard folk is a nature cleric and I want Force or Philosophy HELP PLZ!

FoxWolFrostFire
2019-07-29, 07:33 AM
So I more or less wrote my self into a corner with my idea. He basically was beaten and bullied out of his tribe for two major reasons. He asked too many questions(Frowned on in Lizardfolk culture) and being too emotional. He was born with the extra emotions and feelings that most lizard folk lack

The problem is he is now running around the world. Now at last interacting with people who also have full emotions and he is loving it, he loves the cities, and all their neat stuff he can ask LOADS of questions about and just learn more and more. Getting positive reinforcement for the first time ever from his party.

So right now I made it vague where he draws his powers from. He passed out from hunger in the swamp he was fleeing some and some strange voice which he couldn't understand gave him his holy symbol and cleric powers. Just to allow the campaign to roll. (was a bit under pressure to hurry up)

So getting this out of the way. I know he is more of a knowledge cleric but I had my hopes set on Nature, but looking into it after the fact no nature god really felt like it fit. So can you guys help me figure out an example of a Force or Philosophy I could use which combines the Idea of Nature and emotion with the thirst to learn and ask questions. (BTW he is slightly dim. 9 Int. )

KorvinStarmast
2019-07-29, 07:47 AM
So getting this out of the way. I know he is more of a knowledge cleric but I had my hopes set on Nature, but looking into it after the fact no nature god really felt like it fit. So can you guys help me figure out an example of a Force or Philosophy I could use which combines the Idea of Nature and emotion with the thirst to learn and ask questions. (BTW he is slightly dim. 9 Int. ) You've answered your own question.
Nature is a force in and of itself. You want a Force or Philosophy.
Nature is right there. If you look at the side bar in the weave of magic, spell casting, PHB, you find.
The Weave of Magic

Raw magic is the stuff of creation, the mute and mindless will of existence, permeating every bit of matter and present in every manifestation of energy throughout the multiverse.
All magic depends on the Weave, though different kinds of magic access it in a variety of ways.
The spells of clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers are called divine magic. These spellcasters’ access to the Weave is mediated by divine power—gods, the divine forces of nature, or the sacred weight of a paladin’s oath. Page 85 basic rules, page 202 or 205 PHB, I think the latter.
Now, if you want to be a cleric, you are, strictly speaking ... a conduit for divine power.
Spellcasting

As a conduit for divine power, you can cast cleric spells.
Now let's go to the PHB section on Druids.

Spellcasting
Drawing on the divine essence of nature itself, you can cast spells to shape that essence to your will.
You are already covered with the Force of Nature being what powers your magic.

You can roll that over from Druid to a Nature cleric seamlessly. Clerics of Nature would logically draw from Nature herself (itself?) to touch the weave and cast divine spells.

I am guessing that you have already looked at DMG pages 10-13 to review the forces and philosophies idea for how your lizardfolk accesses the weave.

NNescio
2019-07-29, 07:51 AM
So I more or less wrote my self into a corner with my idea. He basically was beaten and bullied out of his tribe for two major reasons. He asked too many questions(Frowned on in Lizardfolk culture) and being too emotional. He was born with the extra emotions and feelings that most lizard folk lack

The problem is he is now running around the world. Now at last interacting with people who also have full emotions and he is loving it, he loves the cities, and all their neat stuff he can ask LOADS of questions about and just learn more and more. Getting positive reinforcement for the first time ever from his party.

So right now I made it vague where he draws his powers from. He passed out from hunger in the swamp he was fleeing some and some strange voice which he couldn't understand gave him his holy symbol and cleric powers. Just to allow the campaign to roll. (was a bit under pressure to hurry up)

So getting this out of the way. I know he is more of a knowledge cleric but I had my hopes set on Nature, but looking into it after the fact no nature god really felt like it fit. So can you guys help me figure out an example of a Force or Philosophy I could use which combines the Idea of Nature and emotion with the thirst to learn and ask questions. (BTW he is slightly dim. 9 Int. )

Gwaeron Windstrom (the Faerûnian god of rangers) has both Nature and Knowledge domains.

Otherwise, er... worship a concept like Darwinism or Natural Philosophy? (science before science was a thing).

You can also worship nature itself, like what KorvinStarmast mentioned. Basically you're a more... clerical (heh) druid.

KorvinStarmast
2019-07-29, 08:03 AM
Gwaeron Windstrom (the Faerûnian god of rangers) has both Nature and Knowledge domains. I've got a friend playing a nature cleric who made that very choice.

Spore
2019-07-29, 08:07 AM
An Int 9 character with the scholar background is a WEIRD choice but certainly possible. An example from my own family is my mother whose school education is very basic but she never stops until she has fully understood a topic. When other people binge entire seasons on Netflix on weekends, she spends hours reading up on Wikipedia articles.

If you never hear from me again, consider the fact my mom could've seen that I compared her to humanoid lizards. I assume my funeral is closed casket.

FoxWolFrostFire
2019-07-29, 08:21 AM
All good suggestions so far. (BTW he has the Outlander back ground.)
But my DM is kind of a stickler for details and he doesn't seem to be letting the cosmic force of nature slide and kind of wants some manor of "rules" for my Philosophy if I opt for one. Right now if I don't select SOMETHING I'm pretty sure he is going to stick me with Melora and I'm worried he'll get to attached to city life and end up losing his powers or something stupid lol.

Then again I can't find ALOT of info on Melora. So maybe she is cool with city dwelling support clerics. Like the eco research team telling the Mayor that isn't a good place to build cause of X reason. IDK I was just wondering if there were any ideas that were more outside of the box. The Darwin one was pretty neat though.

KorvinStarmast
2019-07-29, 08:26 AM
But my DM is kind of a stickler for details and he doesn't seem to be letting the cosmic force of nature slide and kind of wants some manor of "rules" for my Philosophy if I opt for one. Right now if I don't select SOMETHING I'm pretty sure he is going to stick me with Melora and I'm worried he'll get to attached to city life and end up losing his powers or something stupid lol.
Have you considered Sylvanus? (Are you playing in Forgotten Realms?)

What the heck are you talking about: 'losing his powers.'

Is your DM punishing you for something? I honestly don't understand what's going on here.

FoxWolFrostFire
2019-07-29, 08:35 AM
No punishment to speak up, But he is a new DM, and I don't know how strict he is going to crack the whip about not pissing off the cleric's god.

And no. Silvanus will NOT work for sure. I was checking out Animism Worship and that sounded promising. So yeah, I might lean towards Darwin type philosophy. Just figured I could pop on her and see what the masses thought.

NNescio
2019-07-29, 09:08 AM
Are you allowed to come up with gods by yourself or import one from another fictional setting? (or real life mythology/theology) There's a Discworld god (https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/God_of_Evolution) who might be up your alley.

xroads
2019-07-29, 09:35 AM

Then again I can't find ALOT of info on Melora. So maybe she is cool with city dwelling support clerics. Like the eco research team telling the Mayor that isn't a good place to build cause of X reason. IDK I was just wondering if there were any ideas that were more outside of the box. The Darwin one was pretty neat though.

How about Chauntea (https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Chauntea)? She is the goddess of agriculture. So she would be a great goddess for worshipers who want to promote more nature in urban environments.

Evaar
2019-07-29, 04:51 PM
You should be allowed to make your character, and his god, your own. Not sure why your DM would argue against your concept as long as it has some basis in the fiction.

That doesn't mean that you turn Silvanus into a god of cities, but you take the concept of Silvanus as a god of nature and think about how that applies to your concept. Nature is about constant change, evolution, selection. An aspect of Silvanus revealed itself to you and not to your kin because your mind was open in ways they were not.

This is an aspect of Silvanus focused on the cycle, the constant churn of change. Silvanus is a god of balance, but NOT stasis. A balance without growth on both sides is stagnant, which is abhorrent to nature. Civilization grows, and so much nature. Old ways must be discarded when necessary. Tradition without practical purpose is foolishness. Waste is sin. And at the core of this belief, one must appreciate the terrible beauty of nature to understand these beliefs. Distant, detached logic is too cold, too apt to fall into stasis. At the core of this belief is life - bloody, thrashing life! The cry of a newborn! The death knell of prey! Warm blood on your lips and cool spring water in your belly. To view these as simple tools to fulfill needs is to disregard the sacred importance of nature.

You abhor undeath as the ultimate desecration of the cycle. You abhor wanton destruction and waste. Progress, however, is the way of things. The intelligent races expand and settle untouched land. A sacred grove might feed a town - if the settlers earn that land and afford it proper respect by not wasting its resources unnecessarily, elsewhere the wilds reclaim a ruined city, the balance lives on.

Nagog
2019-07-29, 07:11 PM
If you don't mind the Fey spin, Oberon is a go-to pick for me, but honestly any of the Fey entities could work. Or just Nature itself. The main issue for finding a god that embodies both is that Knowledge is often associated with societal advancement, encroaching on Nature. Thus the two often seem to butt heads when they don't.

FoxWolFrostFire
2019-07-30, 02:32 AM
So I think I found a winner god, one from dragon lance. His name is Sirrion. He is is the god of fire and change. With a wide spread of many worshippers.

NNescio
2019-07-30, 02:36 AM
So I think I found a winner god, one from dragon lance. His name is Sirrion. He is is the god of fire and change. With a wide spread of many worshippers.

"Only YOU can prevent forest fires!"

FoxWolFrostFire
2019-07-30, 04:55 AM
Unless the forest needs a fire. In which case light it up! Just make sure you watch it closely!

NNescio
2019-07-30, 05:00 AM
Unless the forest needs a fire. In which case light it up! Just make sure you watch it closely!

It can't catch fire if you set it on fire first!

(It's what real-life park rangers do anyway. Well, carefully.)