PDA

View Full Version : Books Book 6: Utterly Dwarfed (+2020 Calendar) now w/ reduced shipping to Europe + Canada

Pages : [1] 2

The Giant
2019-07-29, 07:46 AM
UPDATE: After hearing everyone's concerns, Ookoodook has been able to secure reduced shipping rates for pre-orders of the book and/or the calendar to Europe (including non-EU Europe) and Canada. If you ordered the book at the higher postage rate, check your email for information on how to receive a refund of the difference.

Yes, we're doing this a bit early this time, but it's time for another compilation!

http://www.giantitp.com/Images/products/OOTS06_7in72dpi_RGBds.png (https://www.ookoodook.com/products/gipots06)

The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed is the sixth book in the main The Order of the Stick story, featuring all the regular strips from #947 to the end of the current story. Which, yes, is not finished yet. But it's close enough that I have a pretty good page count, and the realities of printing and shipping mean that if I want this on store shelves in time for the holidays, I need to start the wheels moving now.

Anyway, it's a mammoth full-color book that traces the Order's flight north, their stop at Tinkertown, the whole Godsmoot thing, and so on. You know and love the story, now see it on pieces of paper folded up and glued together! Along with a bunch of other features, like:

More than 10 and less than 20 bonus comics!
Nine pages of author commentary only some readers care about!
A map of the Northern Continent that a distinct but in some places overlapping subset of readers cares about!
A recap of the story so far by someone who looks a lot like Durkon Thundershield!
A foreword by Haley Starshine!
Some other odds and ends that fit in the inevitable gaps when it turns out a chapter ends on a recto page but needs to end on a verso!
Maybe a preface? I don't know, the person I invited hasn't gotten back to me yet!

Add it to your collection today! By which I mean, pre-order it today from Ookoodook (https://www.ookoodook.com/products/gipots06), and have it delivered in early December, because that's how pre-orders work! Or you can pre-order a digital copy from Gumroad (https://gum.co/ootsud) and have it delivered to your email inbox on December 10, 2019. For additional information, check out the Product Page (http://www.giantitp.com/GIPOTS06.html), or keep reading to have some questions answered.

But before you do, oh no, it's a calendar!

http://www.giantitp.com/Images/FrontCover2020_OOTSCalendar_6in.png (https://www.ookoodook.com/products/order-of-the-stick-2020-spell-calendar)

Yes, we're also putting this year's OOTS calendar on sale at the same time. For 2020, we're sidestepping the inevitable vision-related puns and going with a magic theme. Each month will feature one of the OOTS story's spellcasters slinging some sorcery in a glossy 12" x 12" image that will look great on your wall, or hanging in midair if you're the more mystically inclined type yourself. Like the book, this will ship in early December, so if you're interested in both you can order them from Ookoodook (https://www.ookoodook.com/products/order-of-the-stick-2020-spell-calendar) together and save on postage. Or you can order the digital version (https://gum.co/ootscal2020) from Gumroad; it's releasing on the same day as the book (December 10). Here's a look inside:

http://www.giantitp.com/Images/Calendar2020_UnifiedSample_6in.png (https://www.ookoodook.com/products/order-of-the-stick-2020-spell-calendar)

So there you go: New book, new calendar, very exciting.

Frequently Asked Questions:

General Questions

Q: I'm confused. Where can I order these?
A: If you want paper copies from Ookoodook, you can pre-order the book here (https://www.ookoodook.com/products/gipots06) and the calendar here (https://www.ookoodook.com/products/order-of-the-stick-2020-spell-calendar). If you want digital copies, you can pre-order them both from Gumroad here (https://gumroad.com/richburlew).

Q: What strips does this book cover?
A: Everything from #947 to the end of the current storyline, which hasn't been posted yet as of this writing but certainly will be by the time the book needs to ship to the printer. I'll update this answer when I know the exact strip number. Basically, everything in the "new art" era, starting with the first strip with Sigdi in it.

Q: How long is the book?
A: 352 pages. It's our second-biggest book ever, being only 16 pages short of Blood Runs in the Family.

Q: Why are you putting these on sale so early if they're not going to be released until December?
A: The last book I did, Good Deeds Gone Unpunished (https://www.ookoodook.com/products/order-of-the-stick-book-good-deeds-gone-unpunished), was given a longer pre-release window at the request of my distributor (the people who make sure the book shows up on store shelves). Not only do they have the same needs this time around, but I discovered that the longer period led to the smoothest book launch I had ever done—that even when the book hit a snag and was delayed by a few days, the printer was able to make up the time later in the process. So from now on, I'm going to try to always give a solid 4 months between announcement and release if I can.

Q: What number is on the book's spine?
A: "6" because it's the sixth book in the main story. It's the tenth book in the series overall, but three of those are prequels and one is a collection of random (mostly non-canon) stories.

Printed Edition

Q: When will the physical books from Ookoodook ship?
A: They're currently scheduled to arrive at Ookoodook at the end of November or beginning of December. Given that it takes a few days to pack them up and ship them back out, we're more comfortable saying "early December" for the shipping date. We don't want to lock down an exact release date because despite our belief that this longer window will reduce delays, we can't exactly promise that nothing could possibly disrupt that timetable.

Q: Will the physical books be available in my local gaming store?
A: Yes, assuming they've carried Order of the Stick books in the past. This title will be fully available to game store distribution, though I'd expect them not to show up on store shelves until the middle of December.

Q: What if my game store doesn't carry Order of the Stick products?
A: Then you should ask them to! Our stuff is available through all major hobby game distributors, even those outside the US, so just go to your local gaming store and ask them to place an order. If a store stocks roleplaying games, they have the capability to order the Order.

Q: Why is the overseas shipping so expensive?
A: Because overseas postage rates are expensive, and most of the companies you're thinking of that charge less have international warehouses they can ship from, or use bulk rate shippers due to the large volume of products sold. Ookoodook is a very small company that does not have those kinds of resources, so they have to bring them to the post office like everyone else. If the postage is too high for your budget, we suggest either purchasing the digital edition or waiting until it shows up on your local gaming store shelf.

Q: Why should I pre-order rather than just waiting until the book is released?
A: Good question. Two reasons. One, pre-ordering lets me to judge how many copies I should print, and accurately estimating that is what allows me to produce a printed product at all. If I print too many copies, I spend too much money now and end up with loads of unsold inventory that costs more to store. If I print too few, I have to reprint right away and due to the economies of scale, that costs more than it would to print a larger run the first time. Only by getting it pretty close to where demand is can the numbers work out such that I can pull this off without losing a lot of money. So if you care about the financial health of the comic (because you would like me to keep doing this), it's helpful to pre-order. And two, in this particular case, I also literally do not have the funds to print the book until a certain minimum number of orders is reached because these color compilations are much, much more expensive than the black-and-white ones and I don't have that kind of money sitting around. Pre-ordering makes the book possible at all. While I don't have any reason to think we won't get enough sales to pay for the printing bill in fairly short order, if everyone decided not to pre-order that would be a distinct possibility.

Calendar

Q: OK, but the calendar must be a lot cheaper. Surely it doesn't need to be on sale this early.
A: No, it does not. But people ordering the book now may want to buy the calendar, too, and I didn't want people to feel like they had to hold off buying one to wait for the other to be put on sale at the usual time around Thanksgiving, in case they were hoping to avoid paying twice for shipping. In any event, everything said about trying to judge how many to print goes double for the calendars, which have a limited shelf life (unlike books, which I can keep in stock until they eventually sell). We've had the calendar sell out in pre-orders before, because I set the print quantity based on how many orders have come in by early November—so it's possible to miss out if you wait!

Q: If the calendar is on sale now, does that mean there won't be an ornament? Or t-shirts?
A: No, there will be. But since they ship from a different company anyway, there would be no savings to releasing those now. They'll be released in late November as usual.

Digital Edition

Q: Can I buy this book as a digital PDF file?
A: Yes! You can pre-order it from Gumroad (https://gum.co/ootsgdgu) today.

Q: When will the digital PDF files be released?
A: The link to download the digital files will be automatically sent to your email inbox on December 10, 2019, at 12:00 pm Eastern Standard US Time.

Q: Why are you delaying the PDFs until December? Why can't I download it today?
A: It's being delayed until the physical book is published so that some customers don't have to wait longer than other customers to read it. We really want the print edition to succeed, and if readers thought they could read the story three months earlier by buying the digital edition then they would be far more likely to do so. By holding the digital edition back to be published at the same time, we ensure that people buy the edition that they really want rather than rushing to get the one that comes out first. (Also I haven't finished all the strips that go in the book yet.)

Q: What reasons is there for me to pre-order a PDF? It's not like there's a printing cost to it.
A: Yep, that's true. The truth is, we provide the pre-orders for PDFs mostly as a courtesy to customers who want to order it now before they forget about it. Also, we don't want to be fielding questions for four months about whether or not we're going to have a PDF release. Having the pre-order accomplishes both these goals. But unlike the pre-order for the print version, we don't get any particular benefit from PDF pre-orders. Feel free to wait until it's available to download!

Q: What does the watermark look like?
A: It's on the first page (the cover), and it's a small grey ribbon-shape with the Gumroad "G" logo, next to which it says "Sold to" and then the email address that you gave when you purchased the book. So don't buy using your top secret email.

Q: Why are you using Gumroad instead of (insert name of other company)?
A: Because they charge the lowest commission, which means I could lower the price more. Plus, most other companies that offer a watermark service add it to every single page, which seemed like overkill to me. One page is enough.

If you have any other questions, go ahead and ask them here and maybe I'll add them back up to the FAQ afterward.

The Giant
2019-07-29, 07:47 AM
Given past experiences, I'm going to go ahead and pre-warn to not derail this thread with tangentially related conversations about such topics as printing economies, shipping costs these days, or the details of our business models. I've done my own research and made the choices that work best at balancing competing priorities, and I'm not looking for unsolicited advice on how I should print and distribute my books.

Also, please read the FAQ above, since if you ask a question that is already answered there, we're probably going to delete it to keep this thread relatively uncluttered (so that I can see any completely new questions that are asked).

Thanks.

Oh, and yes, there will be a comic shortly.

Skull the Troll
2019-07-29, 08:03 AM
Nice! My brother-in-law reads this comic only in print form, so it will be nice to finally discuss events with him! Can't wait to get it!

JustinKase
2019-07-29, 08:17 AM
Thank you - pre-ordered physical book and digital calendar - ordering was quick and easy with both vendors (I like the option of Amazon pay on Ook) - thank you for Christmas in July :)

NOTE : The link in the News points to the previous Book thread and not this one.

Bruck
2019-07-29, 08:19 AM
Could it be you linked the wrong thread in the news?

The Giant
2019-07-29, 08:22 AM
Whoops, thanks. I had that thread open in another window to see what I wrote last time and must've copied the wrong URL. Fixed now.

Stabbey
2019-07-29, 09:01 AM
For 2020, we're sidestepping the inevitable vision-related puns

You know Elan's gonna put one in at the end.

Procyonpi
2019-07-29, 09:03 AM
Interesting Thor is the background silhouette, which still leaves Belkar as the only Order member without one.
Who do ya'all think "wrote" the forward? Haley is the only Order member who hasn't gotten one yet, but it could be someone else. NVM apparently I can't read.

Edit: Also, super excited about the map of the Northern Continent.

Crusher
2019-07-29, 09:06 AM
Neat! My daughter much prefers reading the physical books to the strips on-line. Nice to have two Christmas gifts (the book + calendar) for her already squared away!

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-07-29, 09:07 AM
Who do ya'all think "wrote" the forward? Haley is the only Order member who hasn't gotten one yet, but it could be someone else.

:smallconfused:

A foreword by Haley Starshine!

After brief consultation with my SO, both have been ordered. Much appreciated the early pre-order, so we can be more sure it will arrive in time!

Grey Wolf

Gift Jeraff
2019-07-29, 09:44 AM
The URL when you click on the Book 6 image on the front news page takes you to an invalid page.

hroþila
2019-07-29, 09:49 AM
Nice! Being European I can't really pre-order, but I'm totally getting this the second it hits the stores.

Rollin
2019-07-29, 10:27 AM
Congratulations in advance! Looks really cool!

If I had a question, it would be whether the title The Campaign from Hel(l) was considered at any stage. (I was so sure I'd guessed it that I didn't dare say it on the forums.)

Lissou
2019-07-29, 10:58 AM
Physical copies of the book and calendar pre-ordered.
I'll probably also buy a pdf of the book, but that can wait.

Ruck
2019-07-29, 01:08 PM
Woo-hoo! Pre-ordered the physical book and calendar. Will order the PDFs at some point too.

Lord Torath
2019-07-29, 01:39 PM
So, I pre-ordered the book (from the link in the "New Comic is Up" thread. Then I came here and noticed the calendar was available for pre-order as well, so I went back and pre-ordered it as well.

Do the two ship together? Is there a reduced shipping charge for getting them both at the same time? If so, will Ookoodook automatically combine my two separate orders into one? Or should I cancel my pre-orders and combine them into one order?

Thanks! I can hardly wait!

The Giant
2019-07-29, 02:01 PM
I'm almost certain they would be a lower charge for shipping them together, and yes, they are scheduled to go at the same time. So yeah, you're probably best off canceling and re-ordering.

KorvinStarmast
2019-07-29, 02:29 PM
Yes, we're doing this a bit early this time, but it's time for another compilation!

If you have any other questions, go ahead and ask them here and maybe I'll add them back up to the FAQ afterward. If you feel like sharing: which other titles did you ponder before settling on Utterly Dwarfed for this book?

I've seen a wide variety of titles suggested in various discussion threads, but that was always from fans "on the outside looking in." Some were funny, some seemed apt, some not so much.

From "inside looking out" pespective(yours): what other title(s) did you ponder before making the final call on Utterly Dwarfed?

(Yeah, I'll be preordering the pdf)

GregTD
2019-07-29, 04:12 PM
What's the deadline for pre-orders for the book?

redzimmer
2019-07-29, 05:28 PM
So, if the end (of this book) is nigh, I expect a nasty Thanos-Level cliffhanger.

If you will be taking a hiatus at book's-end, Giant, you've certainly earned one!

137beth
2019-07-29, 06:03 PM
I preordered the PDF. The title is certainly not what I expected (I was expecting some sort of pun on Hel).

Rollin
2019-07-29, 06:19 PM
I should add that I recognize the brilliance of the actual title, in view of the means by which the main antagonist in this arc was overcome.

The Giant
2019-07-29, 06:55 PM
From "inside looking out" pespective(yours): what other title(s) did you ponder before making the final call on Utterly Dwarfed?

I couldn't really tell you because I've had this one locked in for a few years and I don't actually remember my other options. They were mostly just different, less interesting variations on using the word "dwarf" though.

As I said to someone on Twitter, the reason I didn't use a pun about Hel is that it's not her story. It's Durkon's. And Sigdi's. I wanted a title that reflected them, and the nice thing about "dwarf" is that it doubles to also mean "to make look small in comparison" such as, say, next to a god, or an infinite void filled with gravestones. So it also reflects this book's place in the overall story, which is to zoom out and show that it's a much bigger problem even than they thought it was.

What's the deadline for pre-orders for the book?

Technically, everything up to the day that the book shows up in December is a pre-order. But in terms of when we need to have X number of orders in place in order to afford printing the book, we're looking at mid-October. Pre-orders before then help us get the book made.

Squire Doodad
2019-07-29, 08:03 PM
I couldn't really tell you because I've had this one locked in for a few years and I don't actually remember my other options. They were mostly just different, less interesting variations on using the word "dwarf" though.

As I said to someone on Twitter, the reason I didn't use a pun about Hel is that it's not her story. It's Durkon's. And Sigdi's. I wanted a title that reflected them, and the nice thing about "dwarf" is that it doubles to also mean "to make look small in comparison" such as, say, next to a god, or an infinite void filled with gravestones. So it also reflects this book's place in the overall story, which is to zoom out and show that it's a much bigger problem even than they thought it was.

Huh. So if you take that title, flip open the book, and look at nearly any page...
it will work. The title works for virtually every aspect, as long as one looks at it from the right angle.
Fascinating.

Ruck
2019-07-29, 08:55 PM

That's me! I'm someone on Twitter!

I appreciate the further explanation-- I didn't fully get what the title referred to after seeing it.

Algeh
2019-07-29, 09:04 PM
I'm very pleased about the early pre-order window for the calendars this year. I've missed the last several years because I'm always swamped with work in the usual pre-order time window and forget about it until it's too late.

GregTD
2019-07-29, 09:31 PM
Technically, everything up to the day that the book shows up in December is a pre-order. But in terms of when we need to have X number of orders in place in order to afford printing the book, we're looking at mid-October. Pre-orders before then help us get the book made.

That was what I was looking for. Thank you

Rogar Demonblud
2019-07-29, 11:24 PM
I like the composition of the cover. For those in the know, the vampire facing away from the Order show he really isn't a part of the team. For those not in the know, it conceals that he is a vampire, leading to a delightful surprise and hopefully more materials purchased from the Giant's fine vendors.

Awesome work, Rich.

*golfclap*

Mordokai
2019-07-30, 02:27 AM
So yeah, inquiring minds want to know.

I ordered my book last night. However, since I was, shall we say... a little tipsy... I forgot to order calendar as well.

Seeing how the postage is, lets say steep and leave it at that... is there a way to get in contact with the seller/warehouse and let them know I'd like to add a calendar to my order as well? I'd really prefer not to pay that kind of money for postage again.

Ruck
2019-07-30, 03:31 AM
I like the composition of the cover. For those in the know, the vampire facing away from the Order show he really isn't a part of the team. For those not in the know, it conceals that he is a vampire, leading to a delightful surprise and hopefully more materials purchased from the Giant's fine vendors.

Awesome work, Rich.

*golfclap*

I also like the detail of Belkar yelling or otherwise agitated / trying to convince Roy of something, and Roy not only not listening, but looking up and into the distance, pointedly where Belkar isn't in his field of vision.

NerdyKris
2019-07-30, 05:48 AM

Awesome work, Rich.

*golfclap*

But he turned into a vampire in the previous book.

Armitage
2019-07-30, 05:56 AM
Seeing how the postage is, lets say steep and leave it at that... is there a way to get in contact with the seller/warehouse and let them know I'd like to add a calendar to my order as well? I'd really prefer not to pay that kind of money for postage again.
Cancel your order and open a new order with both items.

Mordokai
2019-07-30, 07:29 AM
Cancel your order and open a new order with both items.

You can do that?

Learn something new everyday, I guess...

...erm, how would one go around doing that?

hroþila
2019-07-30, 07:42 AM
But he turned into a vampire in the previous book.
Yes, but it's easy to see the cover before you're ready to read the book and thus have it spoil things to you. It's a really nice solution to a potential problem that hadn't even occurred to me.

Garwain
2019-07-30, 07:52 AM
I am 1) excited about the new book, 2) sad that this arc is coming to an end because D is my favorite and 3) amazed that it's been 5 years already since the previous book came out.

nachoted
2019-07-30, 09:03 AM
Thanks for making the PDF available, pre-ordered

KorvinStarmast
2019-07-30, 10:29 AM
As I said to someone on Twitter, the reason I didn't use a pun about Hel is that it's not her story. It's Durkon's. And Sigdi's. I wanted a title that reflected them, and the nice thing about "dwarf" is that it doubles to also mean "to make look small in comparison" such as, say, next to a god, or an infinite void filled with gravestones. So it also reflects this book's place in the overall story, which is to zoom out and show that it's a much bigger problem even than they thought it was. Thanks, that comes across very well in the title. *tips cap*

MReav
2019-07-30, 12:27 PM
I'm guessing this is the best we're going to get for international shipping?

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-07-30, 12:46 PM

Past experience suggest such services only go up in price, yes. Ookoodook is unlikely to be expanding operations to Canada (or France or Spain, where wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_(disambiguation)) just told me there are other Montreals), I'm afraid.

Grey Wolf

Squire Doodad
2019-07-30, 03:36 PM
I am 1) excited about the new book, 2) sad that this arc is coming to an end because D is my favorite and 3) amazed that it's been 5 years already since the previous book came out.

"D"? Did Durkon become an Elven wizard while we weren't looking? :smalltongue:

The Giant
2019-07-30, 09:38 PM
Yes, but it's easy to see the cover before you're ready to read the book and thus have it spoil things to you. It's a really nice solution to a potential problem that hadn't even occurred to me.

Right, this.

Think of it this way: From this day forward, every single new reader of OOTS has the possibility to see this cover before they read Blood Runs in the Family. And one of the ways I've most often heard that current readers get new readers to give it a try is by loaning them all of the books, so it's not even an unlikely scenario.

As it is, I regret that the cover of Don't Split the Party sort of spoils Roy's death in War and XPs, though at least the "ghost Roy" is moderately ambiguous—it could represent Roy scrying on the others, for example.

You can do that?

Learn something new everyday, I guess...

...erm, how would one go around doing that?

I would say yes, go ahead and cancel and reorder, but I don't actually know how to do that with Ookoodook's software. So if anyone does, feel free to post instructions.

I should also point out that if anyone has any issues that might need personal attention from a member of the Ookoodook staff, this week is going to be very bad for that due to the fact that they're all going to GenCon. So give them until next week before getting mad that they didn't respond.

Probably. Kevin from Ook has told me he has a lead on a service that might reduce it, but that may not pan out.* If they do come up with a way to reduce the price, they will refund the difference to everyone who paid more, so if you can technically afford it (and would merely prefer it to be less) then you can go ahead and pre-order, knowing that if they reduce it later you won't lose out. Or you can wait, but I doubt there will ever be a specific point where I'll be able to say categorically, "Nope, it's definitely never getting better."

* I'm informed that one of the reasons it's so high is that a deal with a previous service that had agreed to fulfill the books locally in Canada and Europe collapsed at the last minute, and there wasn't time for them to find another one before I needed the book to go on sale.

MReav
2019-07-30, 11:47 PM
Probably. Kevin from Ook has told me he has a lead on a service that might reduce it, but that may not pan out.* If they do come up with a way to reduce the price, they will refund the difference to everyone who paid more, so if you can technically afford it (and would merely prefer it to be less) then you can go ahead and pre-order, knowing that if they reduce it later you won't lose out. Or you can wait, but I doubt there will ever be a specific point where I'll be able to say categorically, "Nope, it's definitely never getting better."

* I'm informed that one of the reasons it's so high is that a deal with a previous service that had agreed to fulfill the books locally in Canada and Europe collapsed at the last minute, and there wasn't time for them to find another one before I needed the book to go on sale.

Good to know.

Jannoire
2019-07-31, 07:36 AM
Would there be any shame in ordering the book in another online store?
I'm not talking about the Big A, but a store dedicated to geeks and nerds without the high shipping fees associated with shipping to Germany.
I want to support the Giant as much as I want to have my own copy of Utterly Dwarfed, but paying 50 bucks just for shipping makes me think twice...

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-07-31, 07:41 AM
Would there be any shame in ordering the book in another online store?
I'm not talking about the Big A, but a store dedicated to geeks and nerds without the high shipping fees associated with shipping to Germany.
I want to support the Giant as much as I want to have my own copy of Utterly Dwarfed, but paying 50 bucks just for shipping makes me think twice...

I was under the impression that it's an Ookoodook exclusive, so it seems unlikely other online stores will offer it. {Jossed (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=24062717&postcount=47)}

That said, I understand physical stores do sell the book and thus you might be able to purchase it from your local geek culture den, especially if they have stocked previous volumes in the past.

Grey Wolf

Jannoire
2019-07-31, 07:46 AM
I was under the impression that it's an Ookoodook exclusive, so it seems unlikely other online stores will offer it.

That said, I understand physical stores do sell the book and thus you might be able to purchase it from your local geek culture den, especially if they have stocked previous volumes in the past.

Grey Wolf

I was able to buy previous volumes at that store, too. Was there a change in policy regarding the latest book?

And sadly, no, I haven't been able to find any stores providing OotS material.
We have a comic store in town that has most books from Marvel and DC and others, but I once asked whether I could order OotS there as well and never heard from them again.

The Giant
2019-07-31, 07:50 AM
No, Utterly Dwarfed is not an Ookoodook exclusive, and yes, it is fine with me if you'd prefer to get it from a local store. I still get paid from bookstore sales, which is what that would be even if it was online.

The calendar is an Ookoodook exclusive, like it always is, because it's a niche product with a seasonal selling window.

b_jonas
2019-07-31, 07:59 AM
Could you please add this book (plus the calendar and the A Monster For Every Season Spring 2 book) to the OotS shopping page (http://www.giantitp.com/Shop.html), so that we can find every book conveniently in the same place?

The Giant
2019-07-31, 08:01 AM
I was able to buy previous volumes at that store, too. Was there a change in policy regarding the latest book?

Nope, no change in policy. You should be able to get Book 6 anywhere you have gotten the books before.

-----------------

Just to clarify how things work for everyone: There are two ways to get the physical book—through Ookoodook and through Someplace Else. All of the Someplace Else orders are exactly the same, from my point of view. It doesn't matter if they are selling it in a bookstore or a small custom website or Amazon or off the back of a turnip truck. I get paid the same amount for all of them. They are all 100% fine.

The Ookoodook orders give me a higher percentage of the cover price, and as a result, we work with them directly. There's no distributor or supplier, it's just me shipping a bunch of books to them and them mailing them out. So Ookoodook sales will likely get to you faster because I ship the books to Ookoodook and my marketing broker on the same day, then the broker mails them to distributors, who mail them to stores, which mail them to you. And if you want to maximize your support to me, then buying from Ookoodook is the way to do so because I don't have to pay the store, the distributor, and the broker. (It also helps me actually pay for the print run, as I mentioned before, because they will send me money right away while Someplace Else money won't show up until February or so.)

But buying the book at all is still supporting me, and I don't want people to feel that they must buy from Ookoodook. Buy from wherever you feel comfortable buying.

And just in general—Let's not anyone else answer questions on here unless you're 100% certain of the answer (such as if you're quoting me). It doesn't help me for anyone to spread wrong information.

Phoniex
2019-07-31, 12:26 PM
NOOOO we are not allowed to be close to the end of the storyline! Giant you must decide to tinker and add another 40 pages on a sidequest to explain a random dwarfs joke! THANKS!

Typewriter
2019-07-31, 12:48 PM
I am illiterate and pre-ordered from Gumroad before realizing that was a digital pre-order when I wanted the physical pre-order. Gumroad doesn't have an option to do anything with my order and if you search the help it basically tells you to contact the shop owner. I've e-mailed them explaining my desire to cancel but don't have a response yet - in the meantime I figured I'd post here. Is there some channel you want communication regarding orders to go through? Like an 'orders' e-mail address or something - or should we just contact you via PM?

I apologize for my illiteracy.

The Giant
2019-07-31, 01:14 PM
I am illiterate and pre-ordered from Gumroad before realizing that was a digital pre-order when I wanted the physical pre-order. Gumroad doesn't have an option to do anything with my order and if you search the help it basically tells you to contact the shop owner. I've e-mailed them explaining my desire to cancel but don't have a response yet - in the meantime I figured I'd post here. Is there some channel you want communication regarding orders to go through? Like an 'orders' e-mail address or something - or should we just contact you via PM?

Yes, send an email to productsupport at giantitp.com and someone will refund it.

Although I just got a message saying that a pre-order was canceled, so they might have already taken care of it for you (if your email begins with the letter "p").

Typewriter
2019-07-31, 01:42 PM
Yep it looks like it got taken care of. Sorry for jumping the gun and posting here when it all got taken care of by Gumroad after all. I need to find a third way to mess up now so that I can complete the hat trick.

Jaxzan Proditor
2019-07-31, 04:27 PM
Super excited for both of these products! This thread is basically Christmas in July.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-07-31, 07:53 PM
Yep it looks like it got taken care of. Sorry for jumping the gun and posting here when it all got taken care of by Gumroad after all. I need to find a third way to mess up now so that I can complete the hat trick.

Make a donation at GoFundMe and type in the wrong amount. Messing up, but in a good way.

BrotherHanson
2019-08-01, 08:44 PM
I just pre-ordered. I was worried because we're moving soon, hopefully before December, and I'm not sure my address will be correct then. But Tina B from Oookodook helpfully let me know that it's easy to change addresses before they ship, if necessary:

"yes, just email me prior to shipping and I can go in and change it at any time. Make sure you put urgent on the subject line and address change as I get about 1000 emails in december."

(We're downsizing, but OOTS still gets space on the new bookshelf, next to LOTR and HHG...)

Wackd
2019-08-02, 12:06 AM
A new moderately improved art style that makes some things look better and others worse! Everything in the new style has looked great, no idea what you're talking about. :smallsmile:

Unbodied
2019-08-03, 03:58 AM
I have a question:

Until now I haven't bought calendars because shipping costs to my country is a pain in the neck and I hadn't realized you could buy a digital version of the calendars. When I realized I could just buy a PDF though I ended up preordering the new Calendar while I was at it.

The trouble is, I really like the artwork I've seen from this calendar, the Monster Season books and so on and I would like to purchase the old calendars as well, but they are all out of print. Now I can see why there wouldn't be any point in bothering to make more physical copies of an outdated calendar, but as far as I can tell it costs nothing to keep digital files up for sale.

Is there any chance that the old calendars can be made available on Gumroad again? Or alternatively that some form of Art Book collection can be sold for those of us who just want the art itself but don't feel the need for a calendar?

Rogar Demonblud
2019-08-03, 09:01 PM
Rich generally makes the old calendar pdfs available for sale for the holidays. I think there's a collected one that has the first four.

Unbodied
2019-08-04, 06:11 AM
Rich generally makes the old calendar pdfs available for sale for the holidays. I think there's a collected one that has the first four.
Good to know. Thanks. :smallsmile:

Mike Havran
2019-08-04, 09:32 AM
Who is the hobgoblin in the background of the Calendar? Is he that cleric from GDGU?

CriticalFailure
2019-08-04, 01:44 PM
Does the Order count Belkar as a caster?

Squire Doodad
2019-08-04, 04:32 PM
Does the Order count Belkar as a caster?

Given that he requires a wisdom boost to cast spells, I don't think so.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-08-04, 05:13 PM
Who is the hobgoblin in the background of the Calendar? Is he that cleric from GDGU?

Could be, although the posture is different. More likely Hobgoblin Cleric #845.

Darth Paul
2019-08-05, 02:55 PM
This was a much-needed pick-me-up on a day when I'm having- well, I won't go into it so as not to derail the thread. I'll just say thanks.

Asmodeus1389
2019-08-05, 05:27 PM
So, after lurking here for over a year, I have finally made an account to ask a question because I did something silly.

I ordered an earlier book at the same time that I put in my Oookadook order for Utterly Dwarfed - Will I have to wait until Utter Dwarfed comes out to receive the other book, too?

Reboot
2019-08-05, 05:32 PM
Given that he requires a wisdom boost to cast spells, I don't think so.

Yeah, but that could easily happen (either as a direct revisit to the original event with modern art, or some sort of similar setup) - it isn't as if the calendar is in-continuity, even.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-08-05, 11:30 PM
So, after lurking here for over a year, I have finally made an account to ask a question because I did something silly.

I ordered an earlier book at the same time that I put in my Oookadook order for Utterly Dwarfed - Will I have to wait until Utter Dwarfed comes out to receive the other book, too?

Probably better to e-mail Ookoodook's customer service to ask them, since they do the work.

The Giant
2019-08-06, 11:39 AM
OK, the latest from Ookoodook is that they have a plan for reducing shipping costs to Europe, specifically, but the person in Germany who needs to confirm it is on vacation until next week. As I said before, if it comes to fruition, anyone who paid the rate currently being charged will be refunded the difference to their credit card. No word yet on whether they have a lead on reducing costs to any other part of the world.

Yes. Anything ordered in the same order as one of the pre-order items is held until all of the pre-order items come in. They do that because most people would rather not pay multiple shipping costs.

lio45
2019-08-06, 02:52 PM
OK, the latest from Ookoodook is that they have a plan for reducing shipping costs to Europe, specifically, but the person in Germany who needs to confirm it is on vacation until next week. As I said before, if it comes to fruition, anyone who paid the rate currently being charged will be refunded the difference to their credit card. No word yet on whether they have a lead on reducing costs to any other part of the world.
I live near the border on the Canadian side, and for the past few years I've been doing friends and relatives the favor of accepting to let them ship their stuff to my U.S. address. I also have been acting as our own broker whenever we import bigger quantities of U.S. goods for our business. I wouldn't mind doing you the favor of picking up Ookoodook's crate containing all Canada-bound orders in Derby Line VT, then having my Canadian company officially import them (I don't need to pay a broker to do this whenever I'm personally there with the cargo I'm importing) and I'd mail everything in Stanstead QC.

Are they even open to this, or it's too complicated for them? There's nothing in it for me (consider it payback for the many years I've enjoyed your work) but I'm very aware they might find it too weird or something. (No pressure, just let me know if you think they might think it's worth exploring.)

The Giant
2019-08-07, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the offer, but it seems like they also have locked down a Canadian service:

For everyone who pre-ordered the book to Canada (or didn't pre-order it because shipping prices were too high), they're going to be able to reduce them to around $18 from whatever ridiculously high level they used to be at. I don't have an exact schedule for when that is going to be updated in their order system—probably tomorrow?—but either way, anyone who ordered at the old price will get the difference refunded.

I'm not going to announce this on Twitter or anything until I'm sure it's in-place on the Ookoodook site, but it's definitely happening.

Priceguy
2019-08-08, 12:25 AM
Nice! Being European I can't really pre-order, but I'm totally getting this the second it hits the stores.

Why not? I'm European and have pre-ordered.

hroþila
2019-08-08, 06:48 AM
Why not? I'm European and have pre-ordered.
Khajiit has wares, but I don't have coin.

alvin40k
2019-08-08, 07:43 AM
This will be the first book I don't buy. $50 to ship it to Australia is just way too much for me.

Mordokai
2019-08-08, 01:40 PM
So, the friendly folks at ookoodook refunded my silly purchase. Which is great and I'm genuinely grateful for that.

However, I have a new problem. I believe that I have been refunded, but it seems my credit card provider hasn't registered that yet. So, as of now, I don't have funds to place new order, since I'm overdrawn on my credit card for this month.

The situation should rectify itself within a week... two at most. And I want to ask, will I still be able to preorder the book and calendar within two weeks, taking the worst posssible scenario?

Probably silly question, but I wanted to ask it anyway.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-08-08, 05:33 PM
I think the Giant addressed this... let me check...

Here you go.

pita
2019-08-10, 05:12 PM
Is it legit to ask here for links to other vendors who could ship it to Israel without me paying triple? I'm used to paying double, sometimes, but triple is a lot for a comic book. I also doubt Israel will be covered by the Europe deal (if it is, that's great and I'll order it then)

Skum_Overlord
2019-08-11, 08:47 AM
As a UK fan, how can I get one?

Hawkeye
2019-08-11, 09:31 AM
This will be the first book I don't buy. $50 to ship it to Australia is just way too much for me.

Same unfortunately :smallfrown: I'll just have to hope it's available on Amazon or ebay when it comes out.

snowblizz
2019-08-13, 06:32 AM
The Paladin blues book I got from a semi-local online bookseller. Not as good as directly ordering from Ookodook I imagine in a put money in author's pockets but best I could do with insanity that is shipping atm. I knew a rpg related game shop that also got the books in and close to the RRP.

Check your local alternatives if there's no better deal for your country I guess what am saying.

hroþila
2019-08-13, 06:58 AM
Buying from a local store is totally fine. If you really want to make up the difference and can spare the money, just buy some additional digital thingy from Gumroad instead of throwing insane amounts of money at the postal service. I mean, at the moment it would be much cheaper to get the physical edition of Utterly Dwarfed from a local store AND the PDF version from Gumroad than to get just the one physical copy from Ookoodook.

The only issue is that it won't count as a pre-order, but what can you do, right. Anyway, stay tuned just in case the shipping arrangement for Europe comes through and the cost goes down - if it does, The Giant will post about it.

Lord Torath
2019-08-13, 09:43 AM
Could you ask your local store to pre-order it? Or at least let them you you'd be interested in buying it when it's available? That might get them to pre-order it, letting Rich know about the added demand.

b_jonas
2019-08-16, 12:59 PM
I'd still (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=24062725) like to ask you to put the Utterly Dwarfed book, the calendar, and the fifth AMFES volume onto the shop page (http://www.giantitp.com/Shop.html). But in addition, I'd like to ask if it's deliberate that the big banner that appears at the bottom of the individual comic pages says "Calender" instead of "Calendar". (Update: thank you for the reply.)

Squire Doodad
2019-08-16, 01:24 PM
I'd still (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=24062725) like to ask you to put the Utterly Dwarfed book, the calendar, and the fifth AMFES volume onto the shop page (http://www.giantitp.com/Shop.html). But in addition, I'd like to ask if it's deliberate that the big banner that appears at the bottom of the individual comic pages says "Calender" instead of "Calendar".

At least it doesn't say Colander.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-08-16, 03:31 PM
Is it bad that I suddenly realized that if Rich put out an OOTS colander, it would be in my cupboard with my OOTS mugs and water bottle?

The Giant
2019-08-19, 09:07 AM
I'd still (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=24062725) like to ask you to put the Utterly Dwarfed book, the calendar, and the fifth AMFES volume onto the shop page (http://www.giantitp.com/Shop.html).

You can ask all you want, but it's going to remain near the bottom of my list of things to do. The ads are plastered all over the site already and the calendar doesn't ever get added to the Shop because it's ephemeral—by the time it's in stock, it's often sold out.

But in addition, I'd like to ask if it's deliberate that the big banner that appears at the bottom of the individual comic pages says "Calender" instead of "Calendar".

Yes, it is obviously 100% intentional. You have accurately assessed the situation. Good job.

The Giant
2019-08-19, 11:01 AM
Oh, almost forgot:

If you were a Canadian customer who paid the higher shipping rate (before it was lowered), you'll need to check your email for a message from Ookoodook on how to request a refund. The reason it's not being issued automatically is that the new lower-priced option is also going to be slower, and some customers for whom price is not a concern might choose to keep their shipping at the higher, faster option.

Also, I'm told the Europe reduction is definitely happening, the only question is what the new price is actually going to be. We may have that information as early as later today, or it could be later this week.

asi
2019-08-19, 02:05 PM
Man I'm excited about this. Didn't read the last couple dozen comics due to time constraints, but I will take time for the book. Sadly will take a while, in Germany it's usually the best option to buy from a local store. Can't wait to read further on my favorite comic books!

The Giant
2019-08-24, 11:30 AM
OK, happy to announce that Ookoodook has finally managed to lock in a contract for European bulk shipping. If you are a European customer, shipping rates are now available as low as $11 for the book (but far lower than before in all cases, the highest being non-EU countries at about $18).

Anyone who ordered at the old price should already have an email in their inbox with details about how to get a refund of the difference.

theangelJean
2019-08-25, 07:48 AM
Pie in the sky time ... fellow Aussies, I've just contacted a large chain of gaming stores to see if they would be interested in being part of the pre-order process. I highly doubt our market would support a distribution deal like the Canada and European ones, but if it were possible to pre-order before end of September and pick up the book early next year, from local stores from this chain in most capital cities and a few regional ones (doesn't look like they have NT stores, sorry) for less than 50% above RRP, who would be up for it?

HeeJay
2019-08-26, 10:48 AM
With reasonable shipping costs to Europe, I pre-ordered instantly!

Sorry, my friendly local game store... But I promise I'll still buy stuff from you to help keep you in business.

Mordokai
2019-08-26, 02:01 PM
Seeing there are only about 70 pieces of SsaDt in stock left, I am suddenly very happy to have one of my own already :smallbiggrin:

Rogar Demonblud
2019-08-26, 02:17 PM
It was actually the first piece of OOTS-ware I bought, and the quality pushed me to buy much more.

Waraila
2019-08-26, 03:45 PM
Living in Europe I'm so glad Ookdook have managed to get cheaper shipping costs. I love the OoTS comics, and have loved the physical copies since the kickstarter.

So one pre order done :)

Thank you for that very welcome news Rich.

McNum
2019-08-27, 09:11 AM
Yay for reduced European shipping rates!

Utterly Dwarfed has been utterly pre-ordered.

Joerg
2019-08-27, 01:51 PM
According to the shipping calculator, the reduced rate to Germany is available for orders of 1 to 3 books, but not anymore for an order of four books. Is that correct?

Lord Torath
2019-08-27, 04:13 PM
According to the shipping calculator, the reduced rate to Germany is available for orders of 1 to 3 books, but not anymore for an order of four books. Is that correct?I assume that's due to the 5 kg limit Rich mentioned in the new News Post (http://www.giantitp.com/index.html#xa444VOZosE2RLaHpFP).

Joerg
2019-08-28, 01:58 PM
I assume that's due to the 5 kg limit Rich mentioned in the new News Post (http://www.giantitp.com/index.html#xa444VOZosE2RLaHpFP).
Ah, that makes sense. Thank you.

alvin40k
2019-08-29, 05:12 AM
Pie in the sky time ... fellow Aussies, I've just contacted a large chain of gaming stores to see if they would be interested in being part of the pre-order process. I highly doubt our market would support a distribution deal like the Canada and European ones, but if it were possible to pre-order before end of September and pick up the book early next year, from local stores from this chain in most capital cities and a few regional ones (doesn't look like they have NT stores, sorry) for less than 50% above RRP, who would be up for it?

Yes I would be up for that!

Garwain
2019-09-20, 10:00 AM
Question: Is the book in full color? Unlike previous books, the ookoodook page doesn't specify.

On a side note: I pre-ordered the book thanks to the reduced EU shipping. Does anyone know when early december will be? I'm checking my calender daily and to my disappointment it progresses only 1 day at a time.

Oh and sorry for another note. I don't understand the brackets on 'game' in the Zach Handlen testimonial on the back cover. I'm not a native english speaker I admit. And I don't want to be a gramar pedantic. I just don't understand...

"They're at once conscious of the (game) the world is based on"

If it's not the game, then what else is it based on? And if its referring to the world itself, then what else would it be based on besides the world itself. The sentence doesn't work with 'game' or 'the game' omitted.

hroþila
2019-09-20, 11:12 AM
I imagine [game] replaces a explicit reference to D&D.

fake edit (https://tv.avclub.com/what-s-your-favorite-example-of-lampshading-in-pop-cult-1798284509):

they’re at once conscious of the Dungeons & Dragons-type role-playing the world is based on

Rogar Demonblud
2019-09-20, 11:25 AM
Question: Is the book in full color?

Yes. It has become such a given that it is expected, and thus isn't mentioned in ad copy.

Also, it would be odd if Rich went back and decolored the strips before publishing them.

DavidBV
2019-10-06, 12:12 PM
Ordered a couple books, the reduced shipping really makes a big difference. Thanks!

SerenaRaeyld
2019-10-17, 04:59 PM
We were privileged enough to snag a set of signed books during The Kickstarter. Is there any chance there might be an opportunity for a signed copy of UD in the future?

Slaine
2019-10-24, 10:10 AM
Just wanted to say a big thank you for the reduced shipping costs. Makes a massive difference and means that I'll be all caught up on OOTS books!

Toper
2019-11-06, 09:01 AM
Oh no, the calendar is sold out! My own fault for waiting too long - I didn't even think it would have been printed yet (or had the quantity set). This is the first one I'll have missed. :smallfrown:

Quebbster
2019-11-06, 09:48 AM
Oh no, the calendar is sold out! My own fault for waiting too long - I didn't even think it would have been printed yet (or had the quantity set). This is the first one I'll have missed. :smallfrown:
The Giant did warn us this might happen:

Calendar

Q: OK, but the calendar must be a lot cheaper. Surely it doesn't need to be on sale this early.
A: No, it does not. But people ordering the book now may want to buy the calendar, too, and I didn't want people to feel like they had to hold off buying one to wait for the other to be put on sale at the usual time around Thanksgiving, in case they were hoping to avoid paying twice for shipping. In any event, everything said about trying to judge how many to print goes double for the calendars, which have a limited shelf life (unlike books, which I can keep in stock until they eventually sell). We've had the calendar sell out in pre-orders before, because I set the print quantity based on how many orders have come in by early November—so it's possible to miss out if you wait!
Granted, it's early November now so it's a bit surprising that it is sold out already.

MartectX
2019-11-07, 01:59 PM
Thanks Ook for the reduced shipping to Germany. Felt bad last time when I ordered via Amazon Marketplace. Now it's fresh from the printing press!

nabcif
2019-11-07, 02:27 PM

Me, too. :-(

(And yeah, we were warned; I just didn't think it would be this early they'd be gone.)

Rogar Demonblud
2019-11-07, 03:15 PM
Be of reduced sadness, for Rich will undoubtedly offer the calendar PDFs again.

Armitage
2019-11-08, 08:25 AM
Be of reduced sadness, for Rich will undoubtedly offer the calendar PDFs again.
He undoubtedly will. Actually, he already has, right when he announced the preorder: https://gumroad.com/l/ootscal2020

The Giant
2019-11-09, 05:40 PM
So we've added 250 more calendars to Ookoodook's inventory, in case you missed one before it sold out.

This will be the only increase, because the printer only accepts orders in multiples of 500 after this point, and there's no way we're selling another 750 from where we are now. If you want it, order now.

nabcif
2019-11-10, 12:24 AM
So we've added 250 more calendars to Ookoodook's inventory, in case you missed one before it sold out.

This will be the only increase, because the printer only accepts orders in multiples of 500 after this point, and there's no way we're selling another 750 from where we are now. If you want it, order now.

Your clever plan to make me spend my money now, rather than later (or not at all)....has worked.

Toper
2019-11-10, 07:08 AM

Yay!!! Thank you!

LadyEowyn
2019-11-10, 07:51 PM
Bought the PDFs of both! Not sure why the calendar stopped being available on Gumroad, as you can’t sell out of digital copies, but wanted to make sure I had it locked down in case it happened again.

NerdyKris
2019-11-26, 08:40 AM
Just got notice from OokOokDook that the books are finished printing.

This is your last chance to pre-order the next entry in the Order of the Stick saga, Book 6 - Utterly Dwarfed! The books are off the press and shipping to our fulfillment center in the US. We will begin shipping them during the first week of December.

I guess that the current strip is the last in the book?

Quebbster
2019-11-26, 08:52 AM

I guess that the current strip is the last in the book?

The end of a book (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0946.html) is announced (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0672.html) with black panels. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0484.html) We're not quite at the end yet.
But I certainly wouldn't be surprised if the final page has already been drawn and sent to the printers', just not published here yet.

factotum
2019-11-26, 09:00 AM

Weirdly, they sent me an e-mail saying it was my last chance to pre-order, even though I ordered the book back in September... :smallconfused:

Reboot
2019-11-26, 09:23 AM
But I certainly wouldn't be surprised if the final page has already been drawn and sent to the printers', just not published here yet.
Probably be posted later today, simultaneously with a "last chance to preorder" news post here.

Weirdly, they sent me an e-mail saying it was my last chance to pre-order, even though I ordered the book back in September... :smallconfused:
That's what's called "sending an e-mail to their whole mailing list, without note as to the order status of the linked account."

Kurald Galain
2019-12-01, 06:24 AM
Attempting to pre-order the PDF, I get an error message that "your card was not charged, please contact Gumroad". Does this work for other people?

Peelee
2019-12-01, 08:13 AM
Attempting to pre-order the PDF, I get an error message that "your card was not charged, please contact Gumroad". Does this work for other people?

I was able to pre-order the PDF without a problem.

The Aboleth
2019-12-01, 11:27 AM

My guess is either a typo in the card number, or a problem with the card itself. I would try re-typing the card number first; if that doesn't work, try contacting the bank that issued the card.

I had a similar issue years ago with an OOTS item and it was because the bank did not recognize the vendor (Ookoodook, in my case). They halted the purchase until I confirmed that yes, I was in fact ordering a stick figure comic book for myself. So I would contact your bank if you continue to have issues.

factotum
2019-12-01, 01:27 PM
I had a similar issue years ago with an OOTS item and it was because the bank did not recognize the vendor (Ookoodook, in my case). They halted the purchase until I confirmed that yes, I was in fact ordering a stick figure comic book for myself.

Although my card issuer will actually send me a message in the event of them blocking a transaction like that, they won't wait for me to call them.

The Aboleth
2019-12-01, 02:03 PM
Although my card issuer will actually send me a message in the event of them blocking a transaction like that, they won't wait for me to call them.

I've had my bank stuff compromised in the past, so I have added protections on my particular account. It's normally not an issue, but sometimes when I go through lesser-known vendors for niche items the purchase gets flagged. I personally prefer that over losing a lot of money again.

Kurald Galain
2019-12-03, 05:15 AM
My guess is either a typo in the card number, or a problem with the card itself.
Oh actually, I was using paypal instead of a credit card. You're not the only one with experience losing lots of money from using a credit card online...

The Aboleth
2019-12-03, 10:58 PM
Oh actually, I was using paypal instead of a credit card. You're not the only one with experience losing lots of money from using a credit card online...

In that case, it's Redcloak's niece who prevented the transaction from going through!

Fitzclowningham
2019-12-06, 01:55 PM
Has anyone received the book yet?

Sky_Schemer
2019-12-06, 05:05 PM
Mine arrived yesterday.

I also had a huge allergy attack last night while reading it. :(

jmeforonda
2019-12-06, 06:21 PM
I received it just now! Woohoo!!

Fitzclowningham
2019-12-06, 09:31 PM
Did either of you get a shipping notification?

jmeforonda
2019-12-07, 04:30 AM
Did either of you get a shipping notification?

I did. Tracking number and all.

factotum
2019-12-07, 07:57 AM
What about the ones who are getting the lower rate shipping to Canada and Europe? Anyone got one of those yet?

ThatNickGuy
2019-12-07, 08:36 AM
What about the ones who are getting the lower rate shipping to Canada and Europe? Anyone got one of those yet?

Not yet, but I also ordered the calendar, so I don't expect mine for another week or two.

Jaxzan Proditor
2019-12-07, 09:41 AM
Mine hasn’t been shipped yet, but I’m guessing that’s because I also pre-ordered the calendar. I don’t really mind when it ships though, since it’s not going to my dorm so I can’t read it for a several days anyway.

Gift Jeraff
2019-12-07, 09:43 AM
Apparently mine got to a local post office this morning but was returned to the sender because they put a nonexistent address on it...

Ruck
2019-12-07, 01:59 PM
Mine hasn’t been shipped yet, but I’m guessing that’s because I also pre-ordered the calendar. I don’t really mind when it ships though, since it’s not going to my dorm so I can’t read it for a several days anyway.

Yeah, I haven't gotten a notification either and I'm guessing that's why. Hoping it arrives before I leave for the holidays on Thursday, but if it hasn't shipped yet, I don't love my chances.

B. Dandelion
2019-12-08, 03:43 AM
I ordered only the book and I haven't received shipping confirmation notice just yet either. Not that I'm worried about it or anything (I still have my confirmation email from the order and the link still says I'll receive notice when it ships, so everything looks fine), but FYI.

(I sent in the order on September 9th.)

Jay R
2019-12-08, 11:49 AM
It arrived, and I read it pretty much straight through.

Great story, Giant!

Ariko
2019-12-08, 12:59 PM
I received the book a couple of days ago, but there has not been a shipping notice for the calendar yet. They were separate as I ordered the calendar later on.

The Giant
2019-12-09, 06:34 AM
An update on the calendar:

The calendar printer failed to meet it's deadline for no apparent reason that anyone can explain to me. It was supposed to ship last Tuesday, and now it's 6 days late. I've been trying to force them to upgrade me to overnight shipping to make up some of the lost time, but the upshot one way or the other is that Ookoodook doesn't have the calendar yet, and won't have it until tomorrow at the very earliest (but probably not for a few more days).

So if you ordered a calendar, your package won't have shipped yet. Also, if you took advantage of the lower shipping rate to Europe or Canada, I'm sorry to say that the bulk shipments haven't left the US yet because obviously they need the calendars, too—so your package is unfortunately delayed even if you didn't order the calendar.

Orders with just the book that also did not use the reduced shipping option should already be shipping. This is the vast lion's share of orders, though, so there are a lot for them to pack and get out the door.

I'll post more information when I have it, probably after I've yelled at a few more people.

factotum
2019-12-09, 06:39 AM
Thanks for letting us know, Giant, I'm sure we'll be able to hold on for a few extra days.

DavidBV
2019-12-09, 06:41 AM
So is everybody getting their books even in Europe?

I ordered two units of book 6 on October 3rd (and no calendar) to be shipped to Spain, and still haven't been notified about shipping.

The Giant
2019-12-09, 06:47 AM
I just addressed this:

Also, if you took advantage of the lower shipping rate to Europe or Canada, I'm sorry to say that the bulk shipments haven't left the US yet because obviously they need the calendars, too—so your package is unfortunately delayed even if you didn't order the calendar.

DavidBV
2019-12-09, 06:56 AM
Thanks Rich, I didn't pay much attention to your post because it started with "An update on the calendar:", which I didn't order. Now it's clear.

No hurries, when it arrives, it arrives :)

Jaxzan Proditor
2019-12-09, 10:17 AM
Well, at least everyone’s order is screwed up, not just mine! :smallbiggrin: Thanks for the update; I’m sorry that events have conspired against you and hope you don’t have to yell at too many people.

Ruck
2019-12-09, 08:05 PM
That's a little bit of a bummer (and I'm definitely not getting mine before I leave for the holidays), but hey, the PDF still arrives tomorrow!

LadyEowyn
2019-12-09, 10:18 PM
Are the PDFs of calendars from previous years (2018 and 2019) going to go up for sale soon? I think Rich mentioned that he was planning to bundle them.

Archena
2019-12-10, 12:49 AM
Hi,

So, is the issue with the printer the reason physical calendars can't be ordered now? The page won't let me select the calendar but the words 'sold out' are so faint that it looks like an unselected button. Or is it just too late to buy one?

Thanks.

The Giant
2019-12-10, 05:08 AM
Well, the printer emailed me to say the calendars shipped last night, but didn't tell me whether they gave me overnight shipping (and the tracking number they gave me isn't working). So who knows? They may arrive as early as today or as late as Thursday (or later, if they're lying about having already shipped).

So, is the issue with the printer the reason physical calendars can't be ordered now? The page won't let me select the calendar but the words 'sold out' are so faint that it looks like an unselected button. Or is it just too late to buy one?

No, the reason you can't order a physical calendar is that we sold out. That is, we placed the order two weeks ago for quantity X, and between that time and now the number of orders reached that quantity. I don't know why the Sold Out banner is so faint like that, it's probably a holdover from another site design scheme.

Are the PDFs of calendars from previous years (2018 and 2019) going to go up for sale soon? I think Rich mentioned that he was planning to bundle them.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. I'll work on that this morning, should be there before noon when the new PDFs drop.

EDIT: The old calendar bundles are now active. You can get them here (https://gum.co/calbundle) (for the 2014-2017 bundle) and here (https://gum.co/calbundle2) (for the 2018-2019 bundle).

The Aboleth
2019-12-10, 10:08 AM
Well, the printer emailed me to say the calendars shipped last night, but didn't tell me whether they gave me overnight shipping (and the tracking number they gave me isn't working). So who knows? They may arrive as early as today or as late as Thursday (or later, if they're lying about having already shipped).

No, the reason you can't order a physical calendar is that we sold out. That is, we placed the order two weeks ago for quantity X, and between that time and now the number of orders reached that quantity. I don't know why the Sold Out banner is so faint like that, it's probably a holdover from another site design scheme.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. I'll work on that this morning, should be there before noon when the new PDFs drop.

EDIT: The old calendar bundles are now active. You can get them here (https://gum.co/calbundle) (for the 2014-2017 bundle) and here (https://gum.co/calbundle2) (for the 2018-2019 bundle).

Out of sheer curiosity, is this the usual printer you do business with? That's a pretty big deal when they can't even give you a straight answer on why the delay occurred.

Regardless, I hope the situation is now resolved!

The Giant
2019-12-10, 10:50 AM
It's the printer I usually use for the calendars, not for the books. The book printer is not cost-effective for a run as short as the calendars end up being, so I use a place with better short run pricing. They have dropped the ball before on getting things done on time, but never in such a way as they wouldn't even tell me what was going on. My suspicion is that they took on too many jobs and don't want me to know that they intentionally backburnered my relatively small job to get someone else's larger one done.

Almost certainly the last time I'm using them. We'll see if that means no calendar next year, or if I find a comparable alternative printer.

The Giant
2019-12-10, 11:58 AM
Warning for anyone expecting a pre-ordered PDF download in, uh, two minutes: I had some technical difficulties uploading the Utterly Dwarfed file and I'm not 100% certain this is going to go off without a hitch.

If anyone successfully downloads the file and can look at it, please post here and let me know. Also, include whether or not the watermark is on the front cover (since that was one of the technical sticking points).

Thanks.

Ruck
2019-12-10, 12:04 PM
My PDF order is still showing up on Gumroad as "pre-order - your card hasn't been charged yet", as of right now.

EDIT: Also, per your tweet, I have not received a download link in my email and my card still has not been charged. (Something similar happened the last time I tried to pre-order from Gumroad, and I had to cancel the pre-order and just buy it once it was released.)

The Giant
2019-12-10, 12:08 PM
It takes them a few minutes to work through all the pre-order charges, usually.

Peelee
2019-12-10, 12:10 PM
My PDF order is still showing up on Gumroad as "pre-order - your card hasn't been charged yet", as of right now.

I wasn't going to "me too" on this, but I do have additional information; I'm getting this from the My Library page as well, but on the book's page (https://gumroad.com/l/ootsud), at 11:00 CST the buttons were "Purchase again" and "Download" (with the download button not working), and now those have been replaced with "I want this!" The change appears to have occurred after getting an email from Gumroad asking me to confirm my email address.

Ruck
2019-12-10, 12:10 PM
I'll check again in a little while. (I had problems getting the GDGU pre-order to work as well, eventually having to cancel it and just buy the release.)

Lord Torath
2019-12-10, 12:11 PM
We'll see if that means no calendar next year, or if I find a comparable alternative printer.:smalleek::smalleek::eek:

I really hope you can find a good alternative (if not, despite my "eeks" above, I'm pretty I will suffer no lasting harm if there's no calendar).

What are the chances of adding a Apron option to the Tarquin: "You can't make an omelette..." (https://www.cafepress.com/orderofthestick/7511173) shirt?

Thanks!

The Giant
2019-12-10, 12:17 PM
They're still charging these on my end, so it looks like it's going to take longer than normal. Possibly because I'm doing two pre-orders at the same time.

I wasn't going to "me too" on this, but I do have additional information; I'm getting this from the My Library page as well, but on the book's page (https://gumroad.com/l/ootsud), at 11:00 CST the buttons were "Purchase again" and "Download" (with the download button not working), and now those have been replaced with "I want this!" The change appears to have occurred after getting an email from Gumroad asking me to confirm my email address.

I don't really know what to do with this; they may have canceled your pre-order for some reason?

Peelee
2019-12-10, 12:22 PM
I don't really know what to do with this; they may have canceled your pre-order for some reason?

It was still listed as a pre-order in my library, with a note saying the card was not yet charged. As of now, card has been charged, it's in my library as purchased, and the main page has it registered as purchased. I'm going to chalk that up to website weirdness that is beyond my knowledge, it's all cleared now.

Also, it downloaded fine, but I'm not seeing the watermark on the cover.

ETA: The digital calendar does have the watermark. The book does not.

Ruck
2019-12-10, 12:45 PM
I got my link to the spell calendar a few minutes ago. Still awaiting the book link.

Armitage
2019-12-10, 12:52 PM
I've got an email with a download link for the calendar. I then went to my library where I could download the book. The book is without the watermark.

I found an error in the book: Page 3 lists "Civil Servant" as one of the prequels. Is this a companion story to "Uncivil Servant" from somebody else's POV? ;)

Alish
2019-12-10, 01:08 PM
Feedback: I bought the book on gumroad but not the calendar. I haven’t gotten any email yet, but my card was charged 5 minutes ago, so I took it as a cue to check the website and the book was available for download. No bookmark on the frontpage.

The Giant
2019-12-10, 01:23 PM
Has anyone actually gotten an email for the book? As opposed to going to your Library and looking for it.

The calendar seems to be going smoothly, probably because it's a lot smaller and a lot fewer people ordered it. So far, no evidence that anyone is getting a book download link in their email.

Peelee
2019-12-10, 01:30 PM
Has anyone actually gotten an email for the book? As opposed to going to your Library and looking for it.

No. No email for the book.

Ruck
2019-12-10, 01:39 PM
I also did not get an email for the book, but I finally got to check my library again a few minutes ago and it was available.

Peelee
2019-12-10, 02:01 PM
Got the book email at 12:55 CST.

Ornithologist
2019-12-10, 02:28 PM
I'll second that book does not have the watermark on it.

Ruck
2019-12-10, 02:37 PM
Book PDF lists the title on page 4 of Belkar's story as "Civil Servant," not "Uncivil Servant."

The Aboleth
2019-12-10, 03:40 PM
Book PDF lists the title on page 4 of Belkar's story as "Civil Servant," not "Uncivil Servant."

Wait, is Uncivil Servant included as part of Utterly Dwarfed? I must have missed that in the initial announcement...not that I'm complaining, of course! Love more OOTS whenever I can get it.

On another note, my physical copy of Utterly Dwarfed arrived, though it unfortunately went to another house (as I was living there at the time). Thankfully, I'm on good terms with the current tenant, and they are sending me the book ASAP. The anticipation is almost too much to bare!

Armitage
2019-12-10, 03:59 PM
Wait, is Uncivil Servant included as part of Utterly Dwarfed? I must have missed that in the initial announcement...not that I'm complaining, of course!
No. Page 4 lists the OoTS books and stories.

NerdyKris
2019-12-10, 04:23 PM
On another note, my physical copy of Utterly Dwarfed arrived, though it unfortunately went to another house (as I was living there at the time). Thankfully, I'm on good terms with the current tenant, and they are sending me the book ASAP. The anticipation is almost too much to bare!

Now I'm worried my address change didn't go through. Did you request they change the address?

The Aboleth
2019-12-10, 05:00 PM
Now I'm worried my address change didn't go through. Did you request they change the address?

No. My move was very recent, so I assumed it was too late to change my address.

No. Page 4 lists the OoTS books and stories.

I see. Thank you!

Unregistered
2019-12-10, 05:11 PM

The calendar seems to be going smoothly, probably because it's a lot smaller and a lot fewer people ordered it. So far, no evidence that anyone is getting a book download link in their email.

No email for the book (the calendar yes).

Edit: Also confirm: no watermark on the book (the calendar yes).

LadyEowyn
2019-12-10, 05:46 PM
I got an email with a link to the calendar, but not the book.

Alish
2019-12-10, 07:25 PM
I am afraid that there might be something wrong with comic 991, side b, in the gumroad pdf. Specifically, the comic bubbles are still there, but the page is otherwise dark.

LadyEowyn
2019-12-10, 07:55 PM
I am afraid that there might be something wrong with comic 991, side b, in the gumroad pdf. Specifically, the comic bubbles are still there, but the page is otherwise dark.
It’s showing up fine for me; maybe just give it a bit of time to load.

Ruck
2019-12-10, 08:02 PM

Yeah, I've had some loading issues so far (the file is twice as big as Blood Runs in the Family!) but everything seems to look OK, stray typo here or there aside.

Alish
2019-12-10, 08:31 PM

Unfortunately that does not work for me. The pastels in the other books are fine. But since it show to you, the problem is probably on my end.

GreeleyCPS
2019-12-10, 08:36 PM

Not just the PDF - I see the same thing in the printed book.

Alish
2019-12-10, 09:05 PM
Typo: on page 136 of the pdf, Serini’s surname is spelled as Moortuck.

Archena
2019-12-10, 09:30 PM

....Okay, thanks.

Darth Paul
2019-12-11, 12:24 AM
I'll post more information when I have it, probably after I've yelled at a few more people.

Good on you, Giant. It's a shame that you have to yell at people to get them to do what they're paid to do, but sadly, such is life. I'll just look forward that much more keenly to my book and calendar.

baf307
2019-12-11, 02:01 AM
No e-mail, no watermark; but the book looks great!

Try a different pdf reader. From what I can see, most readers render this page fine; but a few don't seem to handle the crayon-art jpeg well. This is what I get from the same file on Chrome (fine) & Sumatra (weird): i.imgur.com/7tyJSFL.png

carborundum
2019-12-11, 06:56 AM
My update in case you're counting: card charged a few days ago but no mail about the (digital) book being ready. I checked here, then logged into my account and could download immedialtely. PDF looks great :-D

Stabbey
2019-12-11, 11:07 AM

No shipping notification yet, but my order had a couple of extra books (which are supposed to be gifts) and the calendar. But if the calendar's aren't ready, that would explain why the order hasn't shipped.

Alish
2019-12-11, 11:48 AM
No e-mail, no watermark; but the book looks great!

Try a different pdf reader. From what I can see, most readers render this page fine; but a few don't seem to handle the crayon-art jpeg well. This is what I get from the same file on Chrome (fine) & Sumatra (weird): i.imgur.com/7tyJSFL.png

yeah, I tried another reader and it worked. Which is weird because all the pastels from the other books show up fine in the original reader. But no biggie at this point.

Peelee
2019-12-11, 11:55 AM
Aaaaand book arrived, along with my other order, the coloring book!

I assume on the last panel of bonus strip 1170c, the "shut up" is supposed to be white text on black speech balloon?

Lissou
2019-12-11, 11:59 AM
I never got an email for the book. I downloaded it when I got the email for the calendar. As with others, I have no watermark on the book's front page. I still haven't received the book email, and checking on gumroad just now, the book still doesn't sport a watermark (although the preview for it does).

Ruck
2019-12-11, 12:17 PM
There's a lot of gold in the commentary and bonus strips. I got a few good laughs, but in particular I was crying laughing at

Elan's illusion of an airship.

Lord Torath
2019-12-11, 02:36 PM
There's a lot of gold in the commentary and bonus strips. I got a few good laughs, but in particular I was crying laughing at

Elan's illusion of an airship.Thanks for putting that in Spoilers. :smallsmile:

My book is still waiting for the calendars! :smallannoyed: <grumble grumble printers grumble grumble>

Rogar Demonblud
2019-12-11, 03:49 PM
PDFs are easier to transport than dead tree. Just saying.

Stabbey
2019-12-11, 05:21 PM

You buy the products you like, and others will buy the products they like.

Elkins
2019-12-11, 10:24 PM
I also got an email with the download link for the calendar from Gumroad, but nothing for the book. However, I was able to download the book from my Library page, and when I did so, it did have the watermark. This was yesterday afternoon my time (so yesterday evening/night Eastern time).

Ruck
2019-12-12, 01:05 AM
Another thing I really like about having the PDF is how well it scales, so we can finally see stuff like, for example, Durkon and Minrah's expressions in the last panel of 1134.

Aeliren
2019-12-12, 04:26 AM

Elan's illusion of an airship.

Oh man, that in particular was really good.

NerdyKris
2019-12-12, 09:46 AM
Are the physical calendars arriving today?

Darth Paul
2019-12-12, 03:38 PM
Are the physical calendars arriving today?

My fingers are crossed...

Lissou
2019-12-12, 05:38 PM
Another thing I really like about having the PDF is how well it scales, so we can finally see stuff like, for example, Durkon and Minrah's expressions in the last panel of 1134.

I would like to add my thanks, too. My husband has been losing his vision over the past few years and it's reached the point where he can't read the paper books anymore, but the digital version scale well enough that he's still able to read them.

CriticalFailure
2019-12-12, 06:55 PM
This is probably a stupid question, but are the little pictures at the beginning of the books visual dedications? I got that impression but wasn't sure.

BrotherHanson
2019-12-12, 10:06 PM
I have an issue with the Gumroad purchase that I haven't seen mentioned yet. I got the email and link, and when I go to my library (via the website), I can *read* the book just fine. But when I try to download it's just an empty text file named `OOTS06_UtterlyDwarfed_DigitalEdition_v1.txt`. I bought via pre-order.

This isn't urgent for me; I also got the hardcopy book (which is great, of course!). But I thought I'd air it just in case others are having a problem.

Peelee
2019-12-12, 10:13 PM
I have an issue with the Gumroad purchase that I haven't seen mentioned yet. I got the email and link, and when I go to my library (via the website), I can *read* the book just fine. But when I try to download it's just an empty text file named `OOTS06_UtterlyDwarfed_DigitalEdition_v1.txt`. I bought via pre-order.

This isn't urgent for me; I also got the hardcopy book (which is great, of course!). But I thought I'd air it just in case others are having a problem.

I've been getting that too ever since I got home from work on the 10th. Can't get it on any other computer or tablet.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-12-13, 12:26 AM
It worked fine for me, using Firefox. What browsers are you using? Microsoft seems to have borked stuff with those updates they rolled out last weekend.

Peelee
2019-12-13, 12:40 AM
It worked fine for me, using Firefox. What browsers are you using? Microsoft seems to have borked stuff with those updates they rolled out last weekend.

Vivaldi, and stock internet browser on my phone, as well as the official Gumroad app on my phone.

Vivaldi was also the browser I originally downloaded it on at work, so I don't it's a browser issue.

BrotherHanson
2019-12-13, 01:23 AM

I tried with both Chrome and Safari on a Mac. The only difference is the filename of the empty text file that gets downloaded. With Chrome it's `OOTS06_UtterlyDwarfed_DigitalEdition_v1.txt` and with Safari it's `OOTS06_UtterlyDwarfed_DigitalEdition_v1.pdf.txt`.

I have downloaded the other OOTS PDFs from Gumroad just fine in the past using the same computer.

jt

JT
2019-12-13, 02:11 PM
You buy the products you like, and others will buy the products they like.

And some of us will buy all the products in all the formats, because... obsessive. ;)

Rogar Demonblud
2019-12-13, 02:21 PM
It's called supporting the artist, thank you very much.

Darth Paul
2019-12-13, 05:58 PM

Just you try reading one on your laptop, in the bathroom. :smallyuk:

Peelee
2019-12-13, 06:14 PM
Just you try reading one on your laptop, in the bathroom. :smallyuk:

That's why the gods made tablets.

NerdyKris
2019-12-13, 06:59 PM
I'm guessing the printer lied about them arriving on Thursday, huh?

Thacker
2019-12-13, 08:04 PM
I'm guessing the printer lied about them arriving on Thursday, huh?

Hard to say, as he did say that there were a lot of orders and it would take a while to get out. After all, I didn't order the calendar (but did also order Book 1/2 which was still listed as in-stock; now sold out) and my physical copy of Utterly Dwarfed hasn't shipped yet.

Emanick
2019-12-13, 10:43 PM
Just got my shipping notice! I’m guessing I’m one of the last to get it out of everyone who ordered the book by itself, since I thought I preordered but apparently forgot to do so (I was waiting on my main payday of the year before ordering, and it was late, so by the time it finally arrived I must have forgotten that I hadn’t ordered the book yet).

How long did everyone else have to wait between their shipping email and the book’s arrival? I’m having a hard time resisting the temptation to skip the wait and just buy the PDF. :smalltongue:

Peelee
2019-12-13, 10:49 PM
Just got my shipping notice! I’m guessing I’m one of the last to get it out of everyone who ordered the book by itself, since I thought I preordered but apparently forgot to do so (I was waiting on my main payday of the year before ordering, and it was late, so by the time it finally arrived I must have forgotten that I hadn’t ordered the book yet).

How long did everyone else have to wait between their shipping email and the book’s arrival? I’m having a hard time resisting the temptation to skip the wait and just buy the PDF.

I live closer to Texas than you, so my answer wouldn't be terribly helpful.:smalltongue:

But two days.

GrayGriffin
2019-12-14, 09:38 AM
I tried with both Chrome and Safari on a Mac. The only difference is the filename of the empty text file that gets downloaded. With Chrome it's `OOTS06_UtterlyDwarfed_DigitalEdition_v1.txt` and with Safari it's `OOTS06_UtterlyDwarfed_DigitalEdition_v1.pdf.txt`.

I have downloaded the other OOTS PDFs from Gumroad just fine in the past using the same computer.

jt

Have you tried editing the entire filename to change the .txt to .pdf?

Peelee
2019-12-14, 09:56 AM
Have you tried editing the entire filename to change the .txt to .pdf?

For me at least, the .txt file size is 0.

Joerg
2019-12-14, 10:25 AM
I haven't got a mail about Utterly Dwarfed yet and the book is not in my Gumroad library either, even though I preordered it.

I got a mail for the calendar and could download it, the calendar is also in my library.

The Giant
2019-12-14, 11:00 AM
I will try to go through and troubleshoot people's problems with the PDFs on Tuesday; I'm dealing with family obligations today and tomorrow. But I did make a change on my end to the file so if you had trouble downloading, you might want to give it another shot.

Calendars didn't arrive until yesterday. Ookoodook is shipping them now. Calendar printer gave me a 15% refund, which is not enough to make me ever use them ever again, since they couldn't even give me faster shipping for roughly the same amount of money even though I had asked.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-12-14, 11:42 AM
Sounds like this our last calendar, then. A shame, as I really like the larger size artwork.

Waraila
2019-12-14, 02:29 PM
Just read the update Rich posted a few days ago, as I was mildly worried something had gone wrong with the shipping to the UK - that it's delayed because of the bulk shipment is fine, as long as I haven't screwed up my order somewhere along the line :)

Thanks for the update... waiting on my two books ( no calendar sadly, could only afford 2 out of the 3 and the books were priority as like others, I fell in love with the dead tree format thanks to the kickstarter) (also can't believe said kickstarter was so long ago now)

BrotherHanson
2019-12-14, 03:09 PM

Whatever the issue was, Gumroad appears to have fixed it since I was able to download the PDF just now. Thanks!

(I had missed the most recent reply when I posted this, so it's probably whatever The Giant did that fixed it. Also thanks!)

Falkenstein
2019-12-15, 03:41 AM
Calendars didn't arrive until yesterday. Ookoodook is shipping them now. Calendar printer gave me a 15% refund, which is not enough to make me ever use them ever again, since they couldn't even give me faster shipping for roughly the same amount of money even though I had asked.

This explains why I haven't received any email from Ookoodook yet - I ordered both the printed book and calendar. Do you think there still is at least a slim chance of the book arriving to Czech Republic (central Europe, part of EU) before Christmas (24th)? I still have a flicker of hope left :smallbiggrin:

snowblizz
2019-12-16, 08:34 AM
This explains why I haven't received any email from Ookoodook yet - I ordered both the printed book and calendar. Do you think there still is at least a slim chance of the book arriving to Czech Republic (central Europe, part of EU) before Christmas (24th)? I still have a flicker of hope left :smallbiggrin:

Absolutely not. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.

Bulk is cheaper because it is slower. Getting to dates where even domestic post can't guarantee postcards arriving before Xmas so I wouldn't hold my breath on international shipping of packages.

Just keep in mind, the one who waits for something good never waits too long (not sure if that's a saying that translates well into English, as kids one would always change that never to always too:smallbiggrin:).

Falkenstein
2019-12-16, 10:06 AM
Absolutely not. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.

Bulk is cheaper because it is slower. Getting to dates where even domestic post can't guarantee postcards arriving before Xmas so I wouldn't hold my breath on international shipping of packages.

Just keep in mind, the one who waits for something good never waits too long (not sure if that's a saying that translates well into English, as kids one would always change that never to always too:smallbiggrin:).

Well said! As I still didn't get any email from Ookoodook, I guess all hope is gone now, but on the the other hand at least I'll have something to look forward to after the Christmas :)

Just for fun: this delay is in quite a sharp contrast with a similarly small book eshop in Germany - there I ordered a new book last Friday, got an email that presumed delivery date is this Thursday. On Saturday I got an email where they apologized for changing the delivery date - they changed it to this Wednesday... and the book actually arrived today (Monday morning) :D

Ruck
2019-12-16, 11:11 AM
Got an email from Ookoodook this morning that my order had shipped. (I bought the book and the calendar.)

Rogar Demonblud
2019-12-16, 11:25 AM
Good, hopefully that means mine will be out the door in the next day or too, so I can have it to read in the car next week (my wife insists on driving for long road trips, so I have free time).

Gluteus_Maximus
2019-12-16, 11:29 AM
I ordered only the book, and I still have not gotten my email from ookoodook

Armitage
2019-12-16, 04:12 PM
Sounds like this our last calendar, then. A shame, as I really like the larger size artwork.
The Giant said that he won't work with that printer again. There are other printers out there, so there is a chance he will find one that can print the calendars next year. Though, it's a long time until then, so who knows...

DavidBV
2019-12-16, 05:12 PM
I guess the bulk order to Europe is still not in its way?

Rogar Demonblud
2019-12-16, 06:37 PM
The Giant said that he won't work with that printer again. There are other printers out there, so there is a chance he will find one that can print the calendars next year. Though, it's a long time until then, so who knows...

He's also had problems with the calendars pretty much from the beginning, and has remarked they aren't remunerative. Up thread, he also said he's considering discontinuing them--and that was before the extra aggravation.

Stabbey
2019-12-16, 10:01 PM
I guess the bulk order to Europe is still not in its way?

I got an e-mail. The calendars arrived on Dec 13th, they and all other non-"Utterly Dwarfed" books will be sent to the Utterly Dwarf printers in Ohio. Orders to Canada should arrive in Canada on January 10th, orders to Europe should arrive in Germany sometime "later in January".

It's a little disappointing, since the other books I ordered along with Dwarfed were going to be Christmas gifts, but nothing to be done about that.

factotum
2019-12-17, 02:58 AM
Yeah, I got the same e-mail as Stabbey, so looks like late January or even sometime in February for the European orders. I don't think we can really complain about that, the Giant and Ookoodook worked hard to find some method of getting the European deliveries done at a lower cost, we should probably have expected they wouldn't be quite as fast.

Garwain
2019-12-17, 03:51 AM
Yeah, I got the same e-mail as Stabbey, so looks like late January or even sometime in February for the European orders. I don't think we can really complain about that, the Giant and Ookoodook worked hard to find some method of getting the European deliveries done at a lower cost, we should probably have expected they wouldn't be quite as fast.

I'm disappointed nonetheless...

Falkenstein
2019-12-17, 04:12 AM

Agreed, and I'm pretty happy about the cost reduction - that was a great job. Still, provided the calendar was supposed to arrive to Ookoodook on 4th of December (or so I presume, based on Giant's recent update from 2nd of December), and they would have started shipping it out during the same week at the earliest. In the aforementioned email today they mentioned it would take about three weeks to arrive in Canada and more for Europe. Presuming the Christmas and New Year's Eve somewhat delay the delivery, let's say it would take one week less without the calendar printer delay. However, even in that case it would arrive to Canada dangerously close to Christmas (guessing wildly here, so I can be wrong). For Europe, though, it seems clear that it just was not possible to deliver it before Christmas even in a best-case scenario. That leads to suspicion that Ookoodook had to know delivering to Europe before Christmas was impossible, but chose not to tell us in advance.

Don't take me wrong - I would have ordered both the book and calendar anyway, but withholding this quite crucial information just feels unfair and I'd feel far better with more openness. But maybe I'm naive with overseas shipping (I'm in central Europe) and hoping that a shipment could arrive in two weeks was too much to begin with :)

cwebb
2019-12-17, 05:13 AM
If I preorder to europe now, it still shows the higher shipping prices? Do I still get a refund later on?

Armitage
2019-12-17, 07:47 AM
Up thread, he also said he's considering discontinuing them--and that was before the extra aggravation.
Ok, I guess I missed that comment by the Giant.

DavidBV
2019-12-17, 07:55 AM
Also got the email (Europe here) that seems to indicate I'll get my books by late january. A pity they aren't here for Xmas but it's perfectly understandable and I'm happy, considering the cost reduction and the logistics complications with those calendars.

Lord Torath
2019-12-17, 10:18 AM
No email yet (Utterly Dwarfed and Calendar pre-ordered), and I'm in the states. Not even in my Spam folder. :smallfrown:

Hopefully soon!

Ornithologist
2019-12-17, 02:09 PM
At this point I'm just happy the calanders made it to the warehouse at all. That was aggravating for everyone.

Peelee
2019-12-17, 02:22 PM
That was aggravating for everyone.

Well, not for the people who got the digital version. To be fair, though, I don't see it as a calendar (since I don't use it at all), I see it as bonus cool art and jokes.

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-12-17, 02:26 PM
Well, not for the people who got the digital version. To be fair, though, I don't see it as a calendar (since I don't use it at all), I see it as bonus cool art and jokes.

It has been surprisingly useful at teaching my small child the concept of time, though. Every time they wonder when X will happen, when it is more than a day away ("tomorrow" they understand, but anything after that... is still "tomorrow"), we point to the relevant positions and tell them "we are here, X will happen there, so you need to sleep N times".

Grey Wolf

Reboot
2019-12-17, 02:40 PM
If I preorder to europe now, it still shows the higher shipping prices? Do I still get a refund later on?
Probably not. You may (possibly literally) have missed the boat.

It has been surprisingly useful at teaching my small child the concept of time, though. Every time they wonder when X will happen, when it is more than a day away ("tomorrow" they understand, but anything after that... is still "tomorrow"), we point to the relevant positions and tell them "we are here, X will happen there, so you need to sleep N times".

Whereupon, they immediately go for a nap?

Rogar Demonblud
2019-12-17, 02:53 PM
Sounds like a win-win in my book.

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-12-17, 03:51 PM
Whereupon, they immediately go for a nap?

If that ever happened, that'd still be a win. But it hasn't yet.

Grey Wolf

Raydar
2019-12-18, 12:51 AM
There's an extra unnecessary comma after the "...reason you, helped," in panel 4 on page 1089b.

Jannoire
2019-12-18, 03:26 AM
There's an extra unnecessary comma after the "...reason you, helped," in panel 4 on page 1089b.

Finders, keepers :p

snowblizz
2019-12-18, 06:51 AM

I'm fascinated. The book has been printed, it is on a ship (I like to imagine an airship) headed to Europe. And you think your proofreading will do what?

That reminds me I should go pick up mine from Gumroad.

Got a pack of the old ones cheap, my plan was to frame them as artwork. But they are doublesided artwork, and I didn't have enough wall so plan is taking a hiatus atm. Even the 2 years calenders I got when Book 5 was released and have in physical form kay aroudn waiting for me to figure it out.

Armitage
2019-12-18, 06:57 AM
I'm fascinated. The book has been printed, it is on a ship (I like to imagine an airship) headed to Europe. And you think your proofreading will do what?
Potentially allow the Giant to fix such errors in the digital version and whatever source he may use to reprint the book (if it ever comes to that)?

The Giant
2019-12-18, 12:27 PM

The pre-order is over; it only lasted until the books arrived. Now it is just a regular order, and so the lower shipping cost offer is no longer available.

I know I should change the banners that still say pre-order on them but I do not have the time right now for anything but this quick note (in fact, I'm glad that the fix I made to the Gumroad file seems to have cleared things up for people because it turns out I don't have time to dig into that, either). I'll try to change them this weekend.

Griffincat
2019-12-18, 01:03 PM
I just got a shipping notification this morning for a calendar and book order - thanks, Giant and Ookoodook. I look forward to reading.

Waraila
2019-12-18, 01:43 PM

I also got this e-mail, which confirmed I hadn't messed up my preorder, which was a relief :) And while i was looking forward to taking these to family on new years to read (as they have been invited out, I haven't been but I'm housesiitting for them) it's at least good to know they will come eventually... even if it may be end of Jan for the UK.

onionbreath
2019-12-18, 03:07 PM
Still eagerly awaiting shipping notification and tracking info on Utterly Dwarfed and two other books, no calendar.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-12-18, 10:33 PM
Is this the point where I remind folks that sometimes they don't send out the e-mail right away when they ship the box? Last book, I got it the same day I was e-mailed (although that could have been because my last name is kinda common and they mixed me up with someone else).