PDA

View Full Version : what is a good save or suck attack dmg spell beyond cantrip level 1-2?

Naknakthebedshe
2019-07-29, 08:55 AM
Just what the title asks. I am looking around and all I see is magic missile which has no savings but has unappetizing dmg you shoot your one attack spell per day your "boss slayer" your "fight ender" and you roll 4 dmg out of 15. Not to exciting. I am tempted to just pick up bane. Any die dye I dont have to throw myself is the best option. I am a lvl 2 divine sorcerer lvl 1 life cleric just to clear that up.

Ninja_Prawn
2019-07-29, 09:09 AM
You want damage spells at level 1?* The best raw damage options are burning hands for AoE and inflict wounds for a single target. At spell level 2, scorching ray is hard to beat (though it's not a saving throw obviously).

If you want more damage than that, you'll need to level up a bit! Almost all of the damage spells above second level target saving throws.

*Not a rhetorical question. The language in the OP is so bad that I can't actually tell what you're asking for...

Trickery
2019-07-29, 09:16 AM
Unseen Servant and Find Familiar. Have them toss caltrops and oil on top of your conjure bonfire, which you can place in between squares to hit multiple targets.

Naknakthebedshe
2019-07-29, 09:30 AM
Looks like burning hands it is. But can anyone top that?

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-07-29, 09:32 AM
Looks like burning hands it is. But can anyone top that?

Dragon Breath at level 2.

Frozenstep
2019-07-29, 09:50 AM
Dragon's breath has a lot of potential damage as long as you don't lose concentration on it, and it's very versatile in that you can choose what element to use. However, dealing that damage requires whoever you targeted to use their action, meaning unless you're using a familiar or some npc you're either giving up cantrips on later turns or someone else's attack actions. It's definitely good and has a lot of potential, but it has multiple downsides that you need to work around.

So another option is shatter, another 2nd level spell. You can't choose the element, but the element is one that's very rarely resisted, so it's fine. It's a constitution saving throw, which is definitely a downside, but at low levels a lot of things don't have the insane constitution that later enemies have, so it shouldn't be a huge deal early on. The main upside to this spell, and what makes it a worthy option compared to dragon breath which is doing almost as much damage in just one round (3d6 vs 3d8) is the ability to position it where you want to in a 60 foot area, and it's a nice and easy 20 foot sphere (10 feed radius) to aim. So depending on the situation, you may be able to hit many more foes with a single casting of shatter, especially against enemies far away or behind cover.

Dragon breath, meanwhile basically requires you or whoever you cast it on to get near to melee with foes, and because of the cone shape it may be difficult to get to a position where you can hit multiple targets.

In a similar vein, but for first level spells, there's the spell ice knife, which is a strange hybrid of attack roll and saving throw. It does slightly more damage to a single target, but less against a group. However, the fact you can choose where to throw it has some value compared to burning hands which may require you to get close.

Willie the Duck
2019-07-29, 10:32 AM
"what is a good save or suck attack dmg spell beyond cantrip level 1-2? "

This is a little bit of a confusing question. 'Save or suck' is generally the alternative to 'damage/dmg' when it comes to offensive spells. You either want to take them to 0 hp and thus get them out of a fight or hit them with SoS effects like penalties or limitations. Yes, there are a few spells (mostly cantrips) that have both a damage component and a 'suck' rider, but for the most part it is one or the other. Can you clarify what your primary goal is -- damage, or total impact? At levels 1-2, I still think Sleep is the highest total combat-contribution spell out there.

Rukelnikov
2019-07-29, 10:41 AM
"what is a good save or suck attack dmg spell beyond cantrip level 1-2? "

This is a little bit of a confusing question. 'Save or suck' is generally the alternative to 'damage/dmg' when it comes to offensive spells. You either want to take them to 0 hp and thus get them out of a fight or hit them with SoS effects like penalties or limitations. Yes, there are a few spells (mostly cantrips) that have both a damage component and a 'suck' rider, but for the most part it is one or the other. Can you clarify what your primary goal is -- damage, or total impact? At levels 1-2, I still think Sleep is the highest total combat-contribution spell out there.

Agreed, its an awesome spell at those levels, takes a (relatively) powerful enemy or lots of fodder out of the fight without save.

nickl_2000
2019-07-29, 10:45 AM
Command and Suggestion are amazing save or suck spells as long as your DM is willing to work with you and you have a good on the fly imagination (woops missed the dmg part, still these are awesome spells).

Bobthewizard
2019-07-29, 10:53 AM
Sleep is great at level 1-3. At level 1-2, I usually use Sleep if I can and otherwise use Minor Illusion or a crossbow since you can add +2-3 Dex to it. With a level of Cleric, I'd cast Bless sometimes too to buff the rest of the party.

At Wizard level 3, Suggestion and Levitate work great with low portent roles, although Web is my favorite offensive level 2 spell. I use high portent roles for the Paladin so they can smite.

3rd level spells are the AOE mainstays - Hypnotic Pattern and Fireball - so I don't usually take single target spells at that level.

4th level spells get back to some good single target spells - Polymorph and Banishment. Polymorph is also a great buff while Banishment can target additional creatures with higher level slots.

Rukelnikov
2019-07-29, 11:32 AM
Sleep is great at level 1-3. At level 1-2, I usually use Sleep if I can and otherwise use Minor Illusion or a crossbow since you can add +2-3 Dex to it. With a level of Cleric, I'd cast Bless sometimes too to buff the rest of the party.

At Wizard level 3, Suggestion and Levitate work great with low portent roles, although Web is my favorite offensive level 2 spell. I use high portent roles for the Paladin so they can smite.

3rd level spells are the AOE mainstays - Hypnotic Pattern and Fireball - so I don't usually take single target spells at that level.

4th level spells get back to some good single target spells - Polymorph and Banishment. Polymorph is also a great buff while Banishment can target additional creatures with higher level slots.

It's also one of the most powerful damage mitigation spells in the game. I remember during a fight, our Brute was down to single digit HP, so my Sorlock pmed her into a T-Rex, 2 rounds later, she was still in T-Rex form but with only 3 HP remaining, so I just let go Concentration, and turned her into a T-Rex again, basically healing her 133 HP.

Chronos
2019-07-29, 03:58 PM
Not only are you asking for a spell that's both save-or-suck and damage, but you also seem to consider a spell that does nothing on a successful save to be somehow more reliable than one that always has an effect. And Bane is a particularly bad choice, because even if enemies fail their saves against it, it might still have no effect, because all it does is modify their other rolls, and they might still succeed on them, or might have failed on them even without the Bane.

You also seem to be under the impression that you can only have one offensive spell per day, and I have no idea where you're getting that idea from. As a sorc 2/cleric 1, you'll have 2 second-level spell slots, 4 first-level slots, and at least seven spells known/prepared.

JakOfAllTirades
2019-07-29, 04:42 PM
I've had fairly good results with Thunderwave at lower levels; it combines thunder damage with a little bit of control. (10' forced move away from you on a failed save)

But it targets CON and the range is short, so be careful with that one. You'll want to trade up ASAP.

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-07-29, 11:34 PM
Dissonant Whispers for those who can cast it. Save, eh, a little bit of damage. Fail, WOW, everyone but you gets to roll dice, opportunity attacks abound!

NNescio
2019-07-30, 02:02 AM
I've had fairly good results with Thunderwave at lower levels; it combines thunder damage with a little bit of control. (10' forced move away from you on a failed save)

But it targets CON and the range is short, so be careful with that one. You'll want to trade up ASAP.

It also "emits a thunderous boom audible out to 300 feet", which might draw more enemies to the fight. Another reason to be careful, even if the party isn't trying to be particularly stealthy. But yeah, it's a decentish AoE spell at low levels that also does control. (And priceless when you get your "This! is! Sparta!" moment.)

Naknakthebedshe
2019-08-05, 02:13 AM
To clarify I want to be able to make them roll for my attacks. That way it takes the dice out of my hands. And thus reduce the chance of my valuable higher level spells being wasted.

Naknakthebedshe
2019-08-05, 02:18 AM
You also seem to be under the impression that you can only have one offensive spell per day, and I have no idea where you're getting that idea from. As a sorc 2/cleric 1, you'll have 2 second-level spell slots, 4 first-level slots, and at least seven spells known/prepared.

No not really I could use my level one attack spells three times per day. But I would rather save a couple of spells for spreading heals about where they are needed.

Chronos
2019-08-05, 08:32 AM
Tasha's Hideous Laughter is an excellent healing spell. If you incapacitate a monster for three rounds, that's three rounds of damage that the monster won't deal. A first-level Cure Wounds can't even come close to healing that amount of damage.

Dessunri
2019-08-05, 02:11 PM
Agreed, its an awesome spell at those levels, takes a (relatively) powerful enemy or lots of fodder out of the fight without save.

so...not really a 'save or suck' spell then, is it?

lol

Just messing around, but seriously do not sleep on the Sleep spell. I know it doesn't scale well at all; but, at low levels this is a god-tier spell. Remove the little minions from a fight (if there are any) or sleep the main guy if it's a single target fight and let everyone ready an action to beat the snot out of him at once. Sleep is an amazing spell especially in a class that can change their known spells like a sorcerer

Rukelnikov
2019-08-05, 04:02 PM
so...not really a 'save or suck' spell then, is it?

lol

Just messing around, but seriously do not sleep on the Sleep spell. I know it doesn't scale well at all; but, at low levels this is a god-tier spell. Remove the little minions from a fight (if there are any) or sleep the main guy if it's a single target fight and let everyone ready an action to beat the snot out of him at once. Sleep is an amazing spell especially in a class that can change their known spells like a sorcerer

You are totally right, its just a 'suck' spell :P