PDA

View Full Version : Affirmative Action: Reparations or Racism?

Omnipotent_One
2007-10-10, 04:32 PM
My mother immigrated to this country with hardly a cent to her name (she's Chinese) and worked long hours at low paying jobs. She spent years trying to make a living working as a cashier at places like Macy's. My father (Jewish) was the son of a rather poor family immigrated to the US, and his father, an ice cream man, died when he was 8, leaving him and his brother in the care of a single mother. His brother became an alcoholic and after his mother died, was my father's only living family member. He had to work at a grocery store to help support himself

Given this, I am a member of the two groups most discriminated against by affirmative action, which really hurts my chances of going to a good college, and it's not like our family has any privileges. Their history is as bad as any black or latino I know, yet rather than receiving any help, we are actually hurt. I don't feel that being Jewish or Asian has given me any sort of advantage. You should see my high school. It's so poor we don't even have a real campus, just tiny portables with peeling paint and broken plumbing.

Meanwhile, my best friend is black, his father is the VP of Yahoo marketing and makes 500 grand a year. He has gone to private school all his life. He has absolutely NO disadvantages, and is allowed to apply for all sorts of scholarships he doesn't need, but I do. He gets bonus points when he applies to college, while I have a lower chance of getting in than a white kid and can't apply for any of those racist "black only" or "latino only" scholarships.

(and don't get started saying there are plenty of scholarships i can apply for, for every scholarship that a white or asian can apply for, there are 50 for blacks and latinos; i have a much lower chance of getting a scholarship than my friend, just because of my race)

How on EARTH is this justice??? This is blatant racism.

Can somebody please explain to me how affirmative action is in any way a fair system?

Green Bean
2007-10-10, 04:36 PM
Uh, I'm pretty sure this falls under the 'no political discussion' rules for the board. You should probably delete this.

ForzaFiori
2007-10-10, 04:38 PM
I have to agree with you. Due to Affirmative Action, there are lots of places where Blacks and Latino's get to do stuff that other races should get to. My family is Italian, which, while not getting discriminated as much as the Jewish or Chinese, was still discriminated against, and the most I can get in a scholarship is $900. There are black seniors at my school getting $5000 JUST FOR BEING BLACK. It is in no way fair, and yet, unless you know of some way to shut down the NAACP, we can't really do anything about it.

Exeson
2007-10-10, 04:38 PM
Unfortunately you are just going to have to live with it, or find somewhere else to rant because this is not the place.

Omnipotent_One
2007-10-10, 04:40 PM
Uh, I'm pretty sure this falls under the 'no political discussion' rules for the board. You should probably delete this.

Oh really? No politics? Err......is there any forum i can post this on?

Lord Zentei
2007-10-10, 04:49 PM
Oh really? No politics? Err......is there any forum i can post this on?

Not in the Playground, alas. Try slashdot. :smallwink:

Alarra
2007-10-10, 04:51 PM
Mod Goddess: Not here, sorry. And yes, this strays over the 'political discussion' line.