PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Way of the Smiling Idol [Monk Subclass, PEACH]

Amechra
2019-07-29, 12:21 PM
So, a while back (AKA 3 years ago), I made this thing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?493965-Not-All-Forms-of-Enlightenment-Are-Worth-Following-Monk-Subclass). That was before I had much experience with 5e, and in general, it's a bit... childish? I think that's the word I want? So instead...

Way of the Smiling Idol
When most people think of a monk, they think of a svelte, fit person, honed by years of fasting and physical rigor. But that is not necessarily so! You have discovered enlightenment through your sheer physical mass.

3 :- Bountiful Belly
You have advantage on saving throws made against effects that would move you or knock you prone against your will, unless that effect involves teleportation. In addition, you never suffer disadvantage on ability checks due to your girth, and may fit into armor and clothing designed for skinnier adventurers.

3 :- Laughing Resilience
When you use your Unarmored Defense, you may have your AC equal 10 + your Constitution modifier + your Wisdom modifier instead. In addition, add your Wisdom modifier to your Constitution modifier for the purposes of suffering suffocation.

6 :- Center of Mass
You may replace any unarmed attack you make as part of a bonus action with a Grapple or a Shove. In addition, you may use Stunning Strike whenever you make a successful Grapple or Shove attempt.

11 :- Massive Girth
Whenever you grapple a creature, that creature cannot speak, breathe, or make bite attacks. You may make a Strength save against any effect that attempts to forcibly move a creature you are grappling, causing that effect to fail on a success.

17 :- Serene Titan
You may ignore a creature's size when determining whether or not you can Grapple or Shove it, and when determining how difficult it is to drag it along with you.

---

I feel like Serene Titan needs a little bit extra...

Also, I think I'll need to do a "smash the environment" Monk next - punch through walls, smash through gates, that kinda thing.

Lil Mordecai
2019-08-02, 09:37 AM
I think all of the abilities fit the central theme of the subclass well! For Serene Titan, maybe instead of completely ignoring a creature's size, you can count as one or two size categories larger, something along those lines? You could also incorporate spending ki to grapple/shove larger things, since none of the abilities interact with ki.

Segev
2019-08-02, 09:55 AM
What is the DC on your Strength Save to prevent things from moving creatures you're grappling? Not all such effects allow saves of any sort.

For Serene Titan, what if, instead of ignoring size, you could spend 1 ki to count as one size larger than the target of a grapple? Maybe add the ability to actually spend 1 ki per size shift to alter your size as you desire, lasting for a number of rounds equal to your Constitution?

Amechra
2019-08-02, 11:56 AM
What is the DC on your Strength Save to prevent things from moving creatures you're grappling? Not all such effects allow saves of any sort.

That's a good question. I'm unsure. I could tweak it to just allow you to resist the movement effect, regardless of how it normally works (so you'd oppose a Shove with a Strength (Athletics) roll, that kind of thing).

For Serene Titan, what if, instead of ignoring size, you could spend 1 ki to count as one size larger than the target of a grapple? Maybe add the ability to actually spend 1 ki per size shift to alter your size as you desire, lasting for a number of rounds equal to your Constitution?

I think all of the abilities fit the central theme of the subclass well! For Serene Titan, maybe instead of completely ignoring a creature's size, you can count as one or two size categories larger, something along those lines? You could also incorporate spending ki to grapple/shove larger things, since none of the abilities interact with ki.

The image I have for this feature is that it lets you do stuff like grab a dragon by the tail and drag it around. I'll mull over your suggestions, though - I'm not sure that I like them actually getting bigger, though - this is a less-magical Monk, after all.