PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Magic Jar and pre-cast spells

Mr Adventurer
2019-07-29, 12:52 PM
This is not... /exactly/ about transferring spell effects from me to a body I possess with Magic Jar.

But, if I have cast Clairvoyance, and then I cast Magic Jar, can I see through the scrying sensor while I am in the magic jar?

Segev
2019-07-29, 01:14 PM
This is not... /exactly/ about transferring spell effects from me to a body I possess with Magic Jar.

But, if I have cast Clairvoyance, and then I cast Magic Jar, can I see through the scrying sensor while I am in the magic jar?

Nothing in either spell seems to prevent this, so yes.

Mr Adventurer
2019-07-29, 02:18 PM
Yeah. If so, that would be useful as otherwise I think you are limited to only the life force sense the Magic Jar spell gives you...

Segev
2019-07-29, 02:20 PM
Yeah. If so, that would be useful as otherwise I think you are limited to only the life force sense the Magic Jar spell gives you...

It's a clever idea, though it's worth noting that you don't even get rough location from the life force sense, just relative power. So you can't correllate (directly) what you see to what life forces you feel, if you feel more than one. You also still can't hear without a second casting that provides clairaudience.

Mr Adventurer
2019-07-29, 02:24 PM
It's a clever idea, though it's worth noting that you don't even get rough location from the life force sense, just relative power. So you can't correllate (directly) what you see to what life forces you feel, if you feel more than one. You also still can't hear without a second casting that provides clairaudience.

It's pretty limited TBH because you can only see within 10' of the sensor. But this is more of a proof-of-concept question. There are other spells that would do this more effectively, I'm sure - chain of eyes?

Although the character I'm playing that has this spell right now is a Dread Necromancer, which adds another limitation to what's possible.

Segev
2019-07-29, 02:31 PM
It's pretty limited TBH because you can only see within 10' of the sensor. But this is more of a proof-of-concept question. There are other spells that would do this more effectively, I'm sure - chain of eyes?

Although the character I'm playing that has this spell right now is a Dread Necromancer, which adds another limitation to what's possible.

For an actual necromancer, keep a skeleton or other minion around, and possess them first. Then pick your target while using their senses, and swap back and do the final takeover.

Mr Adventurer
2019-07-29, 03:27 PM
For an actual necromancer, keep a skeleton or other minion around, and possess them first. Then pick your target while using their senses, and swap back and do the final takeover.

I don't think Magic Jar allows this - I think you have to return to the jar first. EDIT: Oh, you mean just to scout out the area. Yes, that could be helpful.

Segev
2019-07-29, 03:37 PM
I don't think Magic Jar allows this - I think you have to return to the jar first. EDIT: Oh, you mean just to scout out the area. Yes, that could be helpful.

Right. I am assuming you're trying to keep from casting it and having your real body collapse "on site," otherwise, there's little need for any of these sorts of tricks, because you can just cast it when you find a target you want to take over and take it over. You're not getting any more information with clairvoyance up than without in terms of which life force you're trying to take over the body of.