PDA

View Full Version : Help creating a Pathfinder character that could cast every spell in the game.

Dagearg
2019-07-29, 05:51 PM
Hi, I'm kinda a veteran in AD&D, but never played Pathfinder before, and Im trying to build a character that could cast every spell (arcane and divine) in the game. I don't really care if it class choices doesn't make it an optimal spellcaster, my goal is to have (eventually) the ultimate spell collection at my disposal.

So, after looking into the different Pathfinder books, I decided to create a Wizard with the Spell Sage archetype. I also considered the Mystic Theurge prestige class, but it seems to me that the Spell Sage have access to more spell effects (keep in mind that I not looking for efficiency but for the biggest possible spell variety). I know the Spell Sage doesn't actually have access to the other classes spells but it replicate them, but that's fine.

However, beside the class choice, I want to optimize this character as much as possible and I can't decide between Elf or Samsaran for the race.

So, I'm open for suggestions for this build, not only about the race choice, but also on how to archive the biggest spell collection possible with a character build.

Thank you!

RNightstalker
2019-07-29, 07:49 PM
I had a character in AD&D that went on a mission like this so I totally understand the build.

The simple "See. Spot. Run." answer is max out the Use Magic Device skill and pony up for a scroll of every spell in the game.

If you're looking at building a character that doesn't have to resort to using scrolls (which I think you are) there are a ton of spellcasting classes out there that have spells unique to their class. If you want to go all the way on that route, your character is going to be over 200 levels.

A compromise to that would be the spell Miracle (Cleric 9, Luck 9) which can duplicate any spell of 7th level or lower which would cover the majority of those prestige classes and half casters like the Ranger and Paladin, so you'll only need to reach 17th level in Wizard, Druid and Cleric for the most part. There might be another class or two that goes to 9th that will complicate things.

Another PrC that can assist in this goal is Fochlucan Lyricist which progresses an arcane and divine spellcasting class at the same level like Mystic Theurge does. There are also another handful of classes that will progress spellcasting in both but not at every level like MT and FL do.

It will take some time but it can be done.

upho
2019-07-29, 08:40 PM
Uhm... Max out your UMD skill bonus?

Slightly more seriously, I think the best solution is to combine the Spell Sage with the Mystic Theurge, and if possible become a member of two spellcasting guilds (see Inner Sea Magic, p 21), gaining 35 Fame in both (which would typically be an easy thing). This grants you "Esoteric Training" twice, allowing you to treat two classes' spellcasting progressions as if you were a total of 4 levels higher (including CL, spells per day, spells known etc), up to a maximum equal to your character level.

In other words, you could go Spell Sage wizard 5/Cleric 5/MT 10 for spellcasting as wizard 19 and cleric 19. Combine with spells allowing you to cast a spell from another list and you should have a very large majority of spells covered.

And you could add say the Magical Knack and Pragmatic Activator traits for +2 CL in either class and allowing you to use Int instead of Cha for UMD.

EDIT: Ouch! Half-stalker'd by RNightstalker! Oh, and the Fochlucan Lyricist doesn't exist in PF (unless your GM lets you import it from 3.5). /EDIT

Rynjin
2019-07-29, 08:45 PM
Play a Samsaran Shaman (any Spirit) with the Lore Wandering Spirit.

Shamans get a mix of the Witch, Druid, and Cleric lists. Samsarans can pull important spells from a different Divine list. Lore Wandering Spirit can be used to pull any Sorcerer/Wizard spells equal to your Int mod (changeable each day ONLY if it's your Wandering Spirit, not regular one).

Mystic Theurge with Bard (the only spell list you don't really have access to) and you're pretty much as close as it's possible to get. or don't, if you don't mind missing out on the like 3 spells Bards can cast that Sor/Wiz doesn't give.

RNightstalker
2019-07-29, 10:06 PM
EDIT: Ouch! Half-stalker'd by RNightstalker! Oh, and the Fochlucan Lyricist doesn't exist in PF (unless your GM lets you import it from 3.5). /EDIT

Thanks for the heads up about the 3.5 thing. I need to read up on PF as I'm not as familiar with it as I am 3.x.

StSword
2019-07-30, 03:45 AM
Paizo made casting every spell a bit more difficult when it put out the Occult rules, giving magic a trinity of arcane, divine, and psychic magic.

Two questions though- Are you willing to go third party, and is it knowing every spell or being able to cast any spell that you are interested in?

Because someone made a truly spontaneous caster who can potentially cast any spell with a successful skill roll- The Spellweaver by Misfit Studios. The book even includes the DC for every spell in the core book, the APG, UM, and UC.

But never mind if that's not helpful, good luck.

Dagearg
2019-07-30, 08:53 AM
Thanks everybody for the replies.:smallsmile:

Slightly more seriously, I think the best solution is to combine the Spell Sage with the Mystic Theurge, and if possible become a member of two spellcasting guilds (see Inner Sea Magic, p 21), gaining 35 Fame in both (which would typically be an easy thing). This grants you "Esoteric Training" twice, allowing you to treat two classes' spellcasting progressions as if you were a total of 4 levels higher (including CL, spells per day, spells known etc), up to a maximum equal to your character level.

In other words, you could go Spell Sage wizard 5/Cleric 5/MT 10 for spellcasting as wizard 19 and cleric 19. Combine with spells allowing you to cast a spell from another list and you should have a very large majority of spells covered.

And you could add say the Magical Knack and Pragmatic Activator traits for +2 CL in either class and allowing you to use Int instead of Cha for UMD.[/FONT][/COLOR]

I will take a look at that book!

Paizo made casting every spell a bit more difficult when it put out the Occult rules, giving magic a trinity of arcane, divine, and psychic magic.

Oh, dang, didn't know there was a psychic spell list, back to square one then. Unfortunately, I can't rely on third party material. :smallsigh:

So, is there a build that could possibly cast or replicate every spell (arcane, divine and psychic) in the game? Is there a wish/miracle version of the psychic spells?

exelsisxax
2019-07-30, 11:00 AM
There is definitely not any way to cast all spells without wands of everything, even if you put aside psychic casting entirely.

For instance, there are paladin-only spells. No way in hell you can fit those on even a 20-level build if you want oracle(because there are oracle-only spells as well) and wizard casting. But you didn't get druid(hunter/ranger) casting yet, or sorc/bloodrager either.

Dagearg
2019-07-30, 02:39 PM
This is what I got so far, please correct me if Im wrong:

Wizard Spell Sage covers:
- Wizard spells
- Cleric spells
- Druid spells
- Bard spells

Wish covers any non wizard level 7 or lower spell (ranger, paladin, etc.).

Could a Spell Sage / Psychic multiclass using the multiclass alternative rules be the answer?

Rynjin
2019-07-30, 03:09 PM
Not helpful, since in gaining access to the Psychic spell list you lose access to the higher level Wizard AND Psychic spells, kind of defeating your purpose. There's no Mystic Theurge equivalent for Psychic casters.

Kurald Galain
2019-07-30, 04:08 PM
Practically speaking, if your campaign starts at low level (like, in my experience, most campaigns), then your best bet is the Skald. Starting from level 5, they get to cast any spell from the cleric or wizard list (and with a feat: also the druid or witch list), a limited number of times per day. Note that almost all psychic spells are also on the cleric or wizard list.

I mean sure, at level 12 and up you probably want some combination with Mystic Theurge instead. But at low level, that just doesn't come online yet. And many campaigns don't ever get to level 12. HTH.

Jack_Simth
2019-07-30, 04:53 PM
Thanks everybody for the replies.:smallsmile:

I will take a look at that book!

Oh, dang, didn't know there was a psychic spell list, back to square one then. Unfortunately, I can't rely on third party material. :smallsigh:

So, is there a build that could possibly cast or replicate every spell (arcane, divine and psychic) in the game? Is there a wish/miracle version of the psychic spells?
If you are willing to spend enough money, yes.
Take a spontaneous 9th level caster.
Take ranks in UMD.
Buy Pages of Spell Knowledge of your casting type of cross-class spells.
Use UMD to pretend that they are on list.

Dagearg
2019-07-30, 07:15 PM
Not helpful, since in gaining access to the Psychic spell list you lose access to the higher level Wizard AND Psychic spells, kind of defeating your purpose. There's no Mystic Theurge equivalent for Psychic casters.

Shouldn't variant multiclassing allow the character to reach level 20 in both classes, wizard and psychic?

exelsisxax
2019-07-30, 07:37 PM
Shouldn't variant multiclassing allow the character to reach level 20 in both classes, wizard and psychic?

That's not how VMC works at all. It can't get you even level 1 casting of any kind.

Dagearg
2019-07-30, 08:25 PM
That's not how VMC works at all. It can't get you even level 1 casting of any kind.

Would you please explain to me how does it work? As I stated before, I'm new to the game.

StSword
2019-07-30, 10:24 PM
Would you please explain to me how does it work? As I stated before, I'm new to the game.

Variant multiclassing (http://legacy.aonprd.com/unchained/skillsAndOptions/variantMulticlassing.html) is an optional rule where instead of taking levels in a second class you sacrifice feats from leveling to gain some abilities of a second class.

Taking Cleric as an example, you'd be able to convert prepared spells into either cure or harm spells, some domain powers, and the ability to channel energy.

Not really that impressive, but then again it only costs feats, so you could add this to 20 levels in wizard or whatever.

Dagearg
2019-07-31, 09:36 AM
Oh, I see. Not good at all then.

I think the only (and fastest) way is: Wizard Spell Sage 11 / Arcane Savant 10 to go beyond character level 20 as sugested in the core rulebook, hence accessing to the lvl 10 spell slots (unless there is a way that can increase the spellcaster lvl with no hit dice limit).

Helluin
2019-07-31, 07:06 PM
This is recently made possible, trivial, even, with the introduction of Chronicle of Legends

https://www.aonprd.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Secret%20of%20Magical%20 Discipline

Once per day, you can cast any spell as if it were one of your prepared spells or spells known.

Take a level in Loremaster, pick this feat and you are good to go. Yes it’s 1/day, but you didn’t seem to mind limited use abilities since you suggested Spell Sage, plus you can pick this feat multiple times.

Dagearg
2019-08-01, 06:13 AM
This is recently made possible, trivial, even, with the introduction of Chronicle of Legends

Take a level in Loremaster, pick this feat and you are good to go. Yes it’s 1/day, but you didn’t seem to mind limited use abilities since you suggested Spell Sage, plus you can pick this feat multiple times.

Excellent! Thank you. No complicated character building needed then. :smallcool: