PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Protector Aasimar Monk

CollectorOfMyst
2019-07-29, 08:28 PM
Hiya. So, I'm currently running a game that's just about begun; and something just occured to me.

One of my players is playing a Protector Aasimar Monk; this character is only level 1 right now, but I thought I'd get this sort of thing figured out before we reach level 3 and she can use her ability.

Monks get Unarmored Movement, which according to Sage Advice, does affect innate speeds (https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/07/22/aaarakocra-monk-unarmored-movement/). Her Radiant Soul ability will give her a flying speed of 30ft. Will these two things interact? Should I allow it?

BruceLeeroy
2019-07-29, 08:59 PM
Yes. It's completely fine and very thematic.

Waazraath
2019-07-30, 01:56 AM
Second the 'yes'. The player already 'paid' for this race for having a +2 cha instead of a +2 dex which is best for monks - and monks are more stat dependent than most classes. A small advantage like the one you describe is very fair in that light (as it is RAW and RAI as far as I can see).

Mikaleus
2019-07-30, 03:00 AM
I have to say this is such a cool character idea 👍

AH0098
2019-07-30, 07:31 PM
It is RAI and RAW to allow the increased Fly Speed. Tabaxi receive an increased climb speed as monks. The Protector Aasimar should as well.

Btw I second the notion, I love the concept as well.

CollectorOfMyst
2019-07-31, 03:37 AM
Thanks for the replies! Don't get me wrong, I love this idea, too, it's just I need to play devil's advocate or else my head won't work.

The main concern I have with this, though, is that I don't know if it does count as an innate speed. Yes, Tabaxi get better at climbing, Lizardfolk get better at swimming, Aarakocra get better at flying - but these are all speeds they start out with. The Protector Aasimar doesn't normally have a flying speed - it's a speed they get from an ability for one minute.