PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Barbarian Reskin (More Versatile Options)

RATHSQUATCH
2019-07-30, 08:14 AM
Hi,

I'd like some feedback on what you guys think of giving classes a few more options as you level. I realize that its a very "Pathfinder" thing to do, but my only gripe about 5E is that there aren't a lot of options as you level (except for the Warlock). So I've attempted to work the Barbarian class into Rage Features which a player can select as they level giving them a bit more freedom on how they want to build their barbarian. I also have a couple extra Barbarian paths in here. Let me know what you think please. Thanks in advance.

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/S1uDA26MH

Composer99
2019-07-30, 08:31 AM
Brutal Critical should probably have a level prerequisite. Danger Sense and Feral Instinct ought to remain core features, IMO, since they're not tied to being in a rage (the requirement to enter a rage in feral instinct notwithstanding). And I'm not sure that the barbarian should get any additional extra attacks, except maybe as a once-per-rage feature.

Otherwise, I like the rage features as a concept, and most of the rest add some cool tricks to the barbarian's toolkit.

RATHSQUATCH
2019-07-30, 08:32 AM
Brutal Critical should probably have a level prerequisite. Danger Sense and Feral Instinct ought to remain core features, IMO, since they're not tied to being in a rage (the requirement to enter a rage in feral instinct notwithstanding). And I'm not sure that the barbarian should get any additional extra attacks, except maybe as a once-per-rage feature.

Otherwise, I like the rage features as a concept, and most of the rest add some cool tricks to the barbarian's toolkit.

Thanks, yeah the only one I thought didn't fit was Danger Sense, but I actually don't think it fits that well as a core feature either. Might just remove it, but wanted the option to allow individuals to still make a RAW barbarian should they wish to.

Amechra
2019-07-30, 09:43 AM
I'm squinting at handing out Brutal Critical that early, if only because it means that Barbarian 2/Fighter (Champion) X is going to have some brutal crits :smalltongue:

A Half-Orc rolling 4d12 axe damage on a crit, which will happen on 19% of attacks they make? It's fine.

Bjarkmundur
2019-07-30, 12:58 PM
I'm squinting at handing out Brutal Critical that early, if only because it means that Barbarian 2/Fighter (Champion) X is going to have some brutal crits :smalltongue:

A Half-Orc rolling 4d12 axe damage on a crit, which will happen on 19% of attacks they make? It's fine.

We don't assume multiclassing or feats for homebrewes, just like UA official content, since it would kill all cool ideas right at birth.

Composer99
2019-07-30, 02:01 PM
We don't assume multiclassing or feats for homebrewes, just like UA official content, since it would kill all cool ideas right at birth.

As a practical matter, Brutal Critical is handed out at 9th level in the PHB barbarian, for presumably good reasons (perhaps even taking multiclassing into account).

As a matter of design/homebrew philosophy, while I presume quoted text is exaggeration for effect to some greater or lesser extent, I must disagree with the sentiment contained therein.

RATHSQUATCH
2019-07-30, 06:14 PM
As a practical matter, Brutal Critical is handed out at 9th level in the PHB barbarian, for presumably good reasons (perhaps even taking multiclassing into account).

As a matter of design/homebrew philosophy, while I presume quoted text is exaggeration for effect to some greater or lesser extent, I must disagree with the sentiment contained therein.

I agree. I didn’t take half-ofc and champion fighter into consideration. Best if I put a level cap of 9th level as suggested.

Beyond that, any other feedback about the class therein?

Amechra
2019-07-31, 01:24 PM

Fair enough. I mostly just wanted to underline that Brutal Critical was stuck at 9th level for a reason. Also, I've seen some people assume it and some people not assume it, so... there was some confuzzlement as to the board's general stance on that.

I agree. I didn’t take half-ofc and champion fighter into consideration. Best if I put a level cap of 9th level as suggested.

Beyond that, any other feedback about the class therein?

It'd be nice if the Rage Features had their own column on the table, like Invocations for Warlocks.

In general, I think Rage Features need an overhaul. Some of them are really good (Extra Attack, Hounding Rage, and Surging Rage stand out), while some of them are kinda terrible (I'm not sure I'd take Barbarian's Grip or Thickened Flesh). There's also the odd choice of making Danger Sense and Feral Instinct options instead of normal class features, which is weird since they primarily function outside of a rage.

Ferocious Rage, though... wow. I'm not a fan of that houserule in a game as combat-heavy as 5e. If that houserule is in effect, Ferocious Rage is mandatory if you impose that rule, since part of your job as a Barbarian is to be a frontliner/tank. I also find it a little strange that the penalties overlap with the penalties from exhaustion...

RATHSQUATCH
2019-08-01, 02:34 AM
Fair enough. I mostly just wanted to underline that Brutal Critical was stuck at 9th level for a reason. Also, I've seen some people assume it and some people not assume it, so... there was some confuzzlement as to the board's general stance on that.

It'd be nice if the Rage Features had their own column on the table, like Invocations for Warlocks.

In general, I think Rage Features need an overhaul. Some of them are really good (Extra Attack, Hounding Rage, and Surging Rage stand out), while some of them are kinda terrible (I'm not sure I'd take Barbarian's Grip or Thickened Flesh). There's also the odd choice of making Danger Sense and Feral Instinct options instead of normal class features, which is weird since they primarily function outside of a rage.

Ferocious Rage, though... wow. I'm not a fan of that houserule in a game as combat-heavy as 5e. If that houserule is in effect, Ferocious Rage is mandatory if you impose that rule, since part of your job as a Barbarian is to be a frontliner/tank. I also find it a little strange that the penalties overlap with the penalties from exhaustion...

This is good feedback. I didn't want to have a bunch of blank spaces in the barbarian features is the only reason I didn't give it a separate column of its own.

For the features themselves, I can see some balance issues with these features for sure and this is a rough draft. In my mind, stacking something like Barbarian's grip with Surging Rage would be good. Also, Barbarian's grip gives you the option for a more defensive barbarian (using a shield) and not taking too much of a hit to damage. Thickened skin is nice for those pure Constitution builds where you're not required to use Dexterity if you don't want to, giving you another option and way to build your character.

Yeah, perhaps if I was using Ferocious Rage, I should have scaled it to ignore "one wound level" each time you take it, that would make it a bit less appealing. We have fun with it at our table, but I completely understand it isn't for everyone. As far as overlapping exhaustion, this is true except its much easier to heal back from and can be easily cured with a short rest, unlike exhaustion.

Thanks for this, it was very helpful.

Bjarkmundur
2019-08-01, 02:45 AM
You were 100% about the Brutal Critical, hope I didn't offend or whisper too loudly :/

I love this btw, don't think I mentioned ^^