PDA

View Full Version : What Could Fear 4 Bears??

creakyaccordion
2019-07-30, 02:50 PM
Hey! I'm in the prep stages of a campaign where all 4 players are going to be the Anthro Black Bear race from Savage Species, starting only with the 2 levels of Monstrous Humanoid you get from the race. What kind of challenges would you throw at a party of 4 bears who don't really do anything aside from Be Bears? After a session or two they'll get to the next level and get to pick their classes, but if you were a bear player, what kind of things would you want to do in the sessions before you got your class? What are especially fun monsters to send at 4 bears?

Rebel7284
2019-07-30, 03:01 PM
A mimic masquerading as a pic-a-nic basket?

satorian
2019-07-30, 03:34 PM
Giant bees, guarding their hunny?

Evil anthropomorphic salmon?

ngilop
2019-07-30, 03:39 PM
I mean, I was going to answer…. But, the who mimic as a pic-a-nic basket made me laugh so hard I had to lay down on the floor and put icy-hit on my abdomen to relax it for the last 30-ish minutes

False God
2019-07-30, 03:39 PM
How about a "anti-party" of female bears raiding a nearby human town and causing trouble going by the name "Bear Naked Ladies"?

JustIgnoreMe
2019-07-30, 04:02 PM
Heffalumps and Woozles. Or Holiphaunts and Giant Dire Weasels, if you prefer.

liquidformat
2019-07-30, 04:09 PM
This thread is glorious and has some great pun puns; seeing as I have none I will give slightly more serious answer. Are they magic'ed anthro bears or natural? If they are magic then maybe some other freaks made by whoever made them. If natural, then why are they adventuring maybe start pulling plot?

Or maybe just have them steal dumpsters around town, I know cheeseburger stole the dumpster (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JRjCSj7VHs) behind a weedstore here in Denver a few days ago...

creakyaccordion
2019-07-30, 04:16 PM
This thread is glorious and has some great pun puns; seeing as I have none I will give slightly more serious answer. Are they magic'ed anthro bears or natural? If they are magic then maybe some other freaks made by whoever made them. If natural, then why are they adventuring maybe start pulling plot?

They are natural Anthro bears, and honestly the joke about them fighting giant bees really struck a chord, and I think the first adventure is them fighting an Abeil outpost that's taken all of the beehives from the surrounding area. Maybe there's a White Dragon cult up on the mountain seeking to bring an eternal winter to the kingdom, which would threaten all of the bears to constant hibernation? And the Abeils are just the first adherents to this cult that the bears meet, an unraveling mystery kind of thing.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-07-30, 06:34 PM
How about the druids that steal their cubs to be their animal companions? Or that summon them, or that shoot lasers that turn into more bears?*

*Doable via Rapid Spell and Ocular Spell.

Vizzerdrix
2019-07-30, 06:37 PM
A circus looking for new attraction.

DrMotives
2019-07-30, 06:43 PM
The eternal winter would allow the very salmon-looking koatoa to dominate the surface lands. Mr. Grizz from Splatoon hates the Salmonoids, is always hiring people to steal their eggs. They come in a variety of mutated forms, included a bunch of weird machines with a "Mad Max" meets Mechanus or Acheron type feel.
You could also see if you want to steal any of the weird bear monsters from Bearmageddon, the survival horror comic where it's like a zombie apocalypse, except with bear-based monsters instead of undead.

Vizzerdrix
2019-07-30, 06:48 PM
You could also see if you want to steal any of the weird bear monsters from Bearmageddon, the survival horror comic where it's like a zombie apocalypse, except with bear-based monsters instead of undead.

Could we get a link to this? For science. :smallredface:

Duke of Urrel
2019-07-30, 08:15 PM
I recommend that you read The Fourth Bear (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fourth_Bear) by Jasper Fforde, if you haven't done so already.

DrMotives
2019-07-31, 04:37 AM
Could we get a link to this? For science. :smallredface:

http://bearmageddon.com/

Spore
2019-07-31, 07:20 AM
They are natural Anthro bears, and honestly the joke about them fighting giant bees really struck a chord, and I think the first adventure is them fighting an Abeil outpost that's taken all of the beehives from the surrounding area. Maybe there's a White Dragon cult up on the mountain seeking to bring an eternal winter to the kingdom, which would threaten all of the bears to constant hibernation? And the Abeils are just the first adherents to this cult that the bears meet, an unraveling mystery kind of thing.

I would say your villain should be an insect based druid lich. Think Dr. Bees (https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Golgari_Swarm) meets Golgari (https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Golgari_Swarm).

This combat is horrible. The heroes are winning and they aren't even trying!

A beehive-phylactery full of bees ought put a stop to that! :smallamused:

The villain basically feels the heroes are unnatural lycanthropes that have to be purged before they can spread their curse. They have a whole arsenal of poisonous plant monsters, undead zombies and finally they start attacking the weak spot of anthro bears, being unable to deal with swarms, maybe even give the swarms a will save forcing mind toxin.

Vizzerdrix
2019-07-31, 08:27 AM
I would say your villain should be an insect based druid lich. Think Dr. Bees (https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Golgari_Swarm) meets Golgari (https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Golgari_Swarm).

This combat is horrible. The heroes are winning and they aren't even trying!

A beehive-phylactery full of bees ought put a stop to that! :smallamused:

The villain basically feels the heroes are unnatural lycanthropes that have to be purged before they can spread their curse. They have a whole arsenal of poisonous plant monsters, undead zombies and finally they start attacking the weak spot of anthro bears, being unable to deal with swarms, maybe even give the swarms a will save forcing mind toxin.

Why wouldn't he just wait for winter?

Telonius
2019-07-31, 09:24 AM
The enemy clearly has to have levels in Ranger.

I feel like we ought to somehow send in the question to Stephen Colbert. Famous gamer, known for his concern about the threat of bears.

Troacctid
2019-07-31, 09:57 AM
Goldilocks!

RNightstalker
2019-07-31, 07:55 PM
Goldilocks!

That's what I was thinking...when the three bears came home they polymorphed Goldilocks into one of them.

Bohandas
2019-08-01, 12:50 AM
preventable forest fires

Vizzerdrix
2019-08-01, 03:06 AM
preventable forest fires

I can see it now. Bear ranger twf a monks spade with favored enemy: camp fire

Malphegor
2019-08-01, 04:09 AM
A small, golden haired, humanoid child. Innocent looking. Mild.

But she brings with her Plot. She is the harbringer of tales, the manifestation of protagonism incarnate. With her, comes talking wolves, lumberjacks, grandmothers with wolven features, talking pigs, and many more entities. She is a conduit to the tales of folk.

Fear Golden Locks, for she brings with her pain to any who deny her requests.

Sometimes, she takes the form of a hag, a simple beggar woman, and she comes to homes or seeks out travellers, in the guise of gathering wood for winter. She'll request a small task, failure to provide or any cruelty will result in her unleashing her full mystic might, cursing the party with some dramatically appropriate if excessive curse!

Sometimes, she is a baby, in the woods. Attempting to eat her results in the same result.

But usually, she is about 10. Seeking food, seeking comfort... And woe betide any who cross her, and her enthralled plot elements/monsters.

Bohandas
2019-08-01, 11:58 AM
Deglaciation

Luccan
2019-08-01, 12:59 PM
How about a "anti-party" of female bears raiding a nearby human town and causing trouble going by the name "Bear Naked Ladies"?

It's been... one week since they ransacked the town.

Unbearable puns aside, if they're forest dwellers, a threat that most intelligent creatures would have to face in the D&D wilds could work. Pack of Wargs?

Mato
2019-08-01, 05:26 PM
Q: What Could Fear 4 Bears?
A: Anything that fails it's intimidate check.
When four bears find you, drop to the ground and pretend to be dead.
It's good practice for what's about to happen.

Heliomance
2019-08-02, 05:43 AM
Obligatory link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=9788572&postcount=716)