PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder How to not drown with a -10 swim score?

Voidstar01
2019-07-30, 06:02 PM
Right so I made a vorpal knight, currently 4th level, who uses heavy armor and a great shield, my DM has complained about my high AC a few times before, and suddenly we're going on a boat. I have like -10 as a modifier in my swim skill and really do not want to drown. Are there any items I can buy/ souls I can munch to get better at not dying in a watery grave?

Psyren
2019-07-30, 06:34 PM
No idea what a "vorpal knight" is, but water walk potions are only 750gp.

Jack_Simth
2019-07-30, 07:00 PM
No idea what a "vorpal knight" is, but water walk potions are only 750gp.

And for a longer-lasting solution, a Necklace of Adaptation is 9k.

Voidstar01
2019-07-30, 07:36 PM
No idea what a "vorpal knight" is.

Not sure how to explain it, it's a 3rd party class that can take abilities from things it kill, with restrictions on what/ how many it can take based on level

False God
2019-07-30, 07:38 PM
Not sure how to explain it, it's a 3rd party class that can take abilities from things it kill, with restrictions on what/ how many it can take based on level

Kill a fish and gain water-breathing?

Rynjin
2019-07-30, 07:38 PM
Well, the greatest way to not drown is to just not get into water in the first place.

tyckspoon
2019-07-30, 07:53 PM

This probably is the best answer - one of your options for what you can take from a consumed soul is movement types. Claim the soul of something aquatic and borrow its Swim speed. Creatures with a Swim speed do not need to make skill checks for normal underwater movement, and get a hefty bonus to unusual movement (checks to avoid hazards or move against heavy currents and similar difficult situations) that will mostly negate the ACP penalty.

and a great shield

If it's made of wood you could try to convince your DM that you can use it as a flotation aid. You won't really be able to go anywhere, but it should at least stop you from drowning. Otherwise, it's not a great option but you could.. just let go of the shield. It would reduce your ACP at least.

Vizzerdrix
2019-07-30, 08:05 PM
If it's made of wood you could try to convince your DM that you can use it as a flotation aid.

Better yet, as a surf board.

heavyfuel
2019-07-30, 09:48 PM
If none of the options here are readily available, you can always take off your armor and deal with reduced AC during the boat adventure.

This was my second reaction to his class. The first one being "omg, this sounds broken as hell!"

Btw, loved you delivered the line so matter-of-factly

2019-07-30, 09:52 PM
Well, the greatest way to not drown is to just not get into water in the first place.

See, I came here to make a sarcastic comment like that ("have you tried not being in a situation where you end up having to make swim checks?"), but then I saw the actual content of the OP rather than just the title, so apparently that ship has sailed.

Firebug
2019-07-30, 11:53 PM
Potion Sponge (https://aonprd.com/EquipmentMiscDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Potion%20sponge )s filled with Touch of the Sea (https://aonprd.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Touch%20of%20the%20Sea) ?
IE: Get a swim speed.

Rynjin
2019-07-31, 12:00 AM
See, I came here to make a sarcastic comment like that ("have you tried not being in a situation where you end up having to make swim checks?"), but then I saw the actual content of the OP rather than just the title, so apparently that ship has sailed.

Honestly I'm not even being sarcastic. He's on a boat, so he should, I dunno, stay there.

Voidstar01
2019-07-31, 12:53 AM
Honestly I'm not even being sarcastic. He's on a boat, so he should, I dunno, stay there.

The problem is my DM has mentioned getting rid of high AC characters and I can't tell if he was joking. Also this same -10 is also on my balance checks, so if "make a balance check to stay on deck" ever comes up I'm in almost the same situation as if I just jumped in the water.

arkangel111
2019-07-31, 12:54 AM
can you link vorpal knight? then it would at least be easier to give you some advice specific to your character.

Vizzerdrix
2019-07-31, 02:05 AM
The problem is my DM has mentioned getting rid of high AC characters and I can't tell if he was joking. Also this same -10 is also on my balance checks, so if "make a balance check to stay on deck" ever comes up I'm in almost the same situation as if I just jumped in the water.

I hate that sort of DMing. They have enough toys to make simple things like ac be a non issue.

I say let him. Then come back with an enevator with init boosted through the roof. Or a flying ubercharger. Or one of those damage immune warforged builds. Or talk to your DM. Find out what the issue is, then determine what level of character building is expected. If that level is fun to you, great. If not, renegotiate.

Spore
2019-07-31, 07:14 AM
Boots of Spider Climb? Applying some logic, they should at least have you "stick" to the boat.

2019-07-31, 09:33 AM

Don't mind my comment, it was more just an opportunity to say "that ship has sailed" in this context. :smalltongue:

Feantar
2019-07-31, 10:24 AM
If your only objective is to not fall overboard, you could tie yourself to the mast. Not that impressive, but with a long enough rope (or chain) you could even retain some maneuverability.

Zaq
2019-07-31, 04:12 PM
Temporarily wear lighter armor.

Get a magic item that provides water walk, water breathing, or similar.

Get a short-range teleport effect to get back on the boat.

Tie yourself to the ship with a chain. You still take ACP to Climb checks, but they’re smaller. Yes, you’ll be useless for a few rounds while you climb back. This is fine.

Or just wear lighter armor until you get back on dry land. It’s okay.

Kurald Galain
2019-07-31, 04:53 PM
my DM has complained about my high AC a few times before,

This seems to be the actual issue here. Maybe talk about that? How high is your AC compared to the party, and should you tone it down a notch?

Rynjin
2019-07-31, 05:31 PM
Assuming by "great shield" he means "tower shield", a talk might be better than toning down. It may be a case of a GM who kind of feels obligated to attack the high AC guy even when he isn't much of a threat (tower shields make you a pretty trash fighter). Toning down might still be needed (the easiest way is to just drop the tower shield), but it could also just be expectation mismanagement; maybe the GM needs to accept he'll never hit OP's character, as long as the GM and OP come to an understanding that this might mean enemies become frustrated and go after easier prey more often than not.

Elkad
2019-07-31, 07:42 PM
Least Armor Crystal of Aquatic Action. 250gp, no armor penalty on swim checks. MiC p25

Lesser is 1000gp (maybe out of your price range), and also grants you a swim speed, so another +8 on checks (and take 10 in combat).

And ditch the tower shield on the boat. Swapping to a buckler only costs you 2 base AC, not a huge penalty.

Alistaroc
2019-07-31, 07:49 PM
Hey Voidstar, is there an FAQ for the Vorpal Knight? Seems like there's a whole lot left up to interpretation. Like whether or not you copy the ability exactly, whether or not you use your own ability scores, etc etc. Depending on these, I imagine you could just... copy a swim speed at level 3? Depending on your reading that would give you +8 to your Swim checks, and you wouldn't have to make them for normal movement. -2 seems manageable. Tack on masterwork and you're only at -1.