PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help surviving the front lines

Avid
2019-07-30, 06:07 PM
I'm playing in a group of 4 people (three spellcasters and the DM) and due to having a member unexpectedly drop out, we found ourselves without a frontliner.

I need help optimizing my character to better survive the frontlines as out of the three, I'm the next best suited for them. we're running a mashed up homebrew campaign. I'd rather not multiclass if possible. here are our specs.

Eladrin Druid Circle of Dreams lvl5 AC15 (me)
Eladrin Sorcerer lvl5
Sprite Cleric lvl5
Goblin fighter lvl?? (DM npc party member)

What do you guys think I should do? It's my first time actually playing the game and I enjoy it a lot, but I keep getting downed quite easily.

Thank you for your help!

stoutstien
2019-07-30, 06:20 PM
Are you using a shield?

How does your DM handle conjure spells?

How's your DM on the idea of armor of different material?

Dork_Forge
2019-07-30, 06:24 PM
What are your stats? To keep yourself up you can start just by using balm of the summer Court more selfishly. You're in an awkward place with trying to do this single class but being a fair ways away from an ASI, so you'll have to rely on being selfish, your spell selection and when you eventually hit level 8 picking up the Tough feat (+2hp per level). Barkskin would give you a minor boost to AC but you might want to consider just using a wooden shield too.

Avid
2019-07-30, 06:26 PM
Are you using a shield?

How does your DM handle conjure spells?

How's your DM on the idea of armor of different material?

I'm not using a shield but plan on acquiring one soon, sorry forgot to mention. The DM seems pretty set on that no metal aspect of the druid but he did let me wear a studded leather armor, which technically has metal in it.

He's pretty laid back about conjure spells actually. I haven't gotten a chance to use Conjure animals but he's going to let me pick which beasts I summon.

stoutstien
2019-07-30, 06:29 PM
I'm not using a shield but plan on acquiring one soon, sorry forgot to mention. The DM seems pretty set on that no metal aspect of the druid but he did let me wear a studded leather armor, which technically has metal in it.

He's pretty laid back about conjure spells actually. I haven't gotten a chance to use Conjure animals but he's going to let me pick which beasts I summon.

Good news then. Between maximize medium Armor, using a shield, and summoning you can lock down just about anything.

Quite a few guides on here that focus on the druids ablity to summon the wall of fur. Worth the read.

Avid
2019-07-30, 06:32 PM
What are your stats? To keep yourself up you can start just by using balm of the summer Court more selfishly. You're in an awkward place with trying to do this single class but being a fair ways away from an ASI, so you'll have to rely on being selfish, your spell selection and when you eventually hit level 8 picking up the Tough feat (+2hp per level). Barkskin would give you a minor boost to AC but you might want to consider just using a wooden shield too.

My stats are:

Str 11
Dex 16
Con 15
Int 12
Wis 18
Char 13

Yeah I was thinking of using Balm Of the summer court plus some more healing spells, I was thiking of upping my dex to the next tier by level 8, is that better or worse than taking the Tough Feat?

Avid
2019-07-30, 06:33 PM
Good news then. Between maximize medium Armor, using a shield, and summoning you can lock down just about anything.

Quite a few guides on here that focus on the druids ablity to summon the wall of fur. Worth the read.

Thank you so much for your help!

Dork_Forge
2019-07-30, 06:36 PM
[QUOTE=Dork_Forge;24061829]What are your stats? To keep yourself up you can start just by using balm of the summer Court more selfishly. You're in an awkward place with trying to do this single class but being a fair ways away from an ASI, so you'll have to rely on being selfish, your spell selection and when you eventually hit level 8 picking up the Tough feat (+2hp per level). Barkskin would give you a minor boost to AC but you might want to consider just using a wooden shield too.[/QUOTE

My stats are:

Str 11
Dex 16
Con 15
Int 12
Wis 18
Char 13

Yeah I was thinking of using Balm Of the summer court plus some more healing spells, I was thiking of upping my dex to the next tier by level 8, is that better or worse than taking the Tough Feat?

In terms or survivability I'd go for Tough over the +1 AC and just buy a shield to raise your AC. If healing word is on the Druid list (can't remember off the top of my head) that would be a good spell or you as you can still attack with your action once all your balm is spent.

Avid
2019-07-30, 06:38 PM
[QUOTE=Avid;24061847]

In terms or survivability I'd go for Tough over the +1 AC and just buy a shield to raise your AC. If healing word is on the Druid list (can't remember off the top of my head) that would be a good spell or you as you can still attack with your action once all your balm is spent.

Ah I see, it makes sense, thank you so much for your help!

Nagog
2019-07-30, 06:57 PM
Also area control like Spike Growth and Entangle can easily turn the tide of the battlefield. Entangle for spellcasters (low STR) and Spike Growth for tough stuff or mobile targets.

J-H
2019-07-30, 08:01 PM
Ask if you can do a respec, so that you could potentially change your 4th level ASI into something else.
If you really, really want to tank, go Moon Druid for the big HP pool.

Change up some of your cantrips to have melee and control options (Thorn Whip, Shillelagh). See if you can get a Breastplate made from something like Ankheg Shell or Giant Turtle Shell or something.

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-07-30, 08:59 PM
Healing Word is in the Bard, Cleric and Druid lists.

IMO it may be the spell whoever can cast it can get the most use out of during their adventuring days. Its virtually game breaking by mid levels when a couple casters have it.

Avid
2019-07-30, 09:22 PM
Also area control like Spike Growth and Entangle can easily turn the tide of the battlefield. Entangle for spellcasters (low STR) and Spike Growth for tough stuff or mobile targets.

That's true! I'll add them to the list for next time. Thanks!

Avid
2019-07-30, 09:27 PM
Ask if you can do a respec, so that you could potentially change your 4th level ASI into something else.
If you really, really want to tank, go Moon Druid for the big HP pool.

Change up some of your cantrips to have melee and control options (Thorn Whip, Shillelagh). See if you can get a Breastplate made from something like Ankheg Shell or Giant Turtle Shell or something.

He's encouraging us constantly that things will workout, I'm sure that he doesnt intend on exploiting our weakness. I actually did pick up those two cantrips luckily!

I'll ask him about the breastplate, but isnt using a breastplate considered heavy armor? I'm only proficient in light and medium armors

Thanks for the reply!

Avid
2019-07-30, 09:28 PM
Healing Word is in the Bard, Cleric and Druid lists.

IMO it may be the spell whoever can cast it can get the most use out of during their adventuring days. Its virtually game breaking by mid levels when a couple casters have it.

It does seem very useful if it can be done as a bonus action.

CollectorOfMyst
2019-07-31, 05:31 AM
If it were me? I'd leave the healing for someone else, or else ask your cleric to take the front line instead (unlike you, they can use metal armour, and normally they start with scale mail). Additionally, studded leather doesn't have to use metal - not by far. This is, however, assuming that the cleric has a better AC than you (yours should currently be 15, right? Theirs should currently be 16, presuming they have a shield.)

You're a druid - druids, like Clerics, have healing spells. You also have balm of the summer court, which focuses on healing others, and as a druid, you have proficiency in herbalism kits, meaning you can make one potion per day for the price of 25gp, provided you can find and purchase the supplies to make it. Of course, if you're not using your bonus action for anything else, absolutely make use of it, but it's up to you.

If you're still set on being a tank, though, here's my advice;

Wildshape is your friend. If you're a level 5 druid, this means you can turn into CR 1/2 and lower creatures. My recommendations are the Ape, Crocodile and Wolf - they don't have very good AC, but they're among your best options. If you're going up against multiple foes, go ape - it has multiattack. If you only have a couple, go with a wolf or crocodile. Their attacks can knock a foe prone or restrain them - both of these conditions give advantage on attacks against them and disadvantage on attacks from them. Even if you lose your wildshape due to taking a bunch of attacks, that's still a wildshape well spent.

Spells; for you and your cleric. Presuming one of you has at least one healing spell, here's my advice.

1ST LEVEL: Druid
Absorb Elements - if you know you're going up against foes with elemental attacks, then grab this. It'll reduce the amount of damage you take and let you lash out with it.
Entangle - again, this can restrain your enemies. Against a lot of foes, this will be something you greatly desire.
Thunderwave - if Entangle works, or if you want to try a quick end to the battle, wait for your enemies to cluster together, and laugh.

1ST LEVEL: Cleric
Bane - If your cleric is the one taking the backseat, this can be a lifesaver on many occassions. Subtracting 1d4 from every attack or saving throw greatly weakens the enemy, as it essentially gives everyone in your party some extra AC. It's concentration, so best that you tank for this one.
Command - One round duration, but this can be enough to kill a foe, if your cleric is creative.
Guiding Bolt - This does a decent amount of damage, and provides advantage on the next attack against this foe.
Inflict Wounds - If you, the druid, are focusing on healing, then the cleric should use this spell on any enemy they're tanking hits from. Inflict Wounds does 3d10 damage - a colossal amount for a 1st level spell.
Shield of Faith - If you're the one doing the tanking, and your cleric doesn't have Bane, then they should cast this on you or your goblin friend. +2 AC, which works even if you already have a shield, so it can boost you up a ways.

2ND LEVEL: Druid
Barkskin - Someone already mentioned this, and with good reason. Barkskin works as natural armour, meaning you can use a shield and this'll work too. It's concentration, though, so if you cast it on yourself and you're taking hits, it might not be the best idea.
Healing Spirit - regardless of whether or not you're the one tanking, it's a good idea to grab this spell. So long as you keep concentration, every member of your party can run through this spot every turn - for the full duration, that's 10d6 healing.
Spike Growth - another cluster spell. If your enemy has to move through this area to get to you, it'll be slowed down significantly, and take 2d4 for every 5 feet it moves - the thorns could kill them before they even get to you. Another concentration spell.

2ND LEVEL: Cleric
Aid - Boost 3 creature's HP by 5 for the duration. This lasts for 8 hours and doesn't require concentration, so that little bit of extra HP is nothing to sniff at.
Blindness/Deafness - Focus on the blindness. Advantage on attacks against them, and disadvantage on attacks from them. It's only one creature, but no concentration.
Prayer of Healing - It's real bad to try casting this in combat, but if you're taking a short rest and you still need some HP back, then a cleric should cast this (only if you don't have Healing Spirit). It'll give 2d8 minimum back to the whole party.
Warding Bond - if you have 100gp to burn, and you're really desperate to split some of that load, this will cause your cleric to take some of someone else's damage - not ideal if they're tanking, but it can really help the tank.

3RD LEVEL: Druid
Conjure Animals - This spell won't help you tank, but it'll give you cannon fodder. This can be great for when you only have a few foes, and life saving if you're up against a lot of them. Unfortunately, concentration, so you need to stay back.
Plant Growth - it doesn't really protect you or do damage, but if you're in a grassy area, you can make everyone really slow.

3RD LEVEL: Cleric
Animate Dead - This spell, again, gives you cannon fodder, though decidedly less of them than Conjure Animals. However, it lasts 24 hours and needs no concentration.
Beacon of Hope - If the cleric is focusing on healing, then a good spell to cast is this one. Max healing for everyone in range.
Life Transference - If you're tanking, then the cleric can use this spell in a pinch. They'll take 4d8 damage, but you heal for twice as much as what they take.
Spirit Guardians - If the cleric is tanking, this is another good one. Not only are the enemies forcibly slowed down by it, they're actively punished for attacking your tank.

My Advice:
Ask your cleric to tank. They have a lot more options than you do. If you support them, like with barkskin, then they become that much harder to hit and you can grab healing word or cure wounds.
Collaborate closely with your cleric. Regardless of which of you two takes the front line, the other one will need to support them.
Don't forget to support your goblin friend, too. If you cast barkskin and the cleric casts shield of faith, and you give him a shield - that's 20 AC right there. The goblin can only lock down so many people, though, so don't put all your eggs in that basket.
Definitely make use of Conjure Animals, but only use it when you're going up against something you think is going to be a tough battle. They can be useful, but once that spell slot is gone, it's gone.

Guy Lombard-O
2019-07-31, 11:31 AM
In terms or survivability I'd go for Tough over the +1 AC and just buy a shield to raise your AC.

Ah I see, it makes sense, thank you so much for your help!

Instead of Tough, you should probably consider Resilient (Con) feat. The HP increase isn't as much, but your Concentration checks for that wall of fur will be considerably more likely to succeed.

Keravath
2019-07-31, 12:12 PM
Usually clerics can make good tanks with medium/heavy armor and a shield for a decent AC and spirit guardians for some local control. However, I don't know how things are different for a Sprite cleric.

I'd say your best bet for tanking would be summoning spells. Conjure animals and Conjure Woodland beings to start. Summoning 4 black bears can really help the balance in combat and give the opponents something to hit. Remember that the to hit for black and brown bears has been increased by 1 (to +4, +6) over the original PHB numbers through errata.

Vogie
2019-07-31, 01:10 PM
There shouldn't be just one tank. Your Goblin fighter and Cleric should also be rocking a shield and be ready to get up in your target's face.

As you're not a Moon Druid, the only benefit of Wild shape you'll have is special features and WSHP. For example, starting a fight in Elk form for a Charged Ram attack and 13 WSHP. However, that's going to drop your AC to 13, so it'll likely last for a single blow.

Rocking the Shillelagh & shield combo for an AC of 17 is probably the best thing to do when you're taking blows. You'll be using your Dream Dice and Healing Word as a bonus action to keep you going. I second the idea of grabbing Resilient: Con, as it'll not only grow your hit points, but also grow your concentration power, as you'll be using Conjure Animals and Healing Spirit when you're not the one taking damage.

McSkrag
2019-07-31, 01:22 PM
Instead of Tough, you should probably consider Resilient (Con) feat. The HP increase isn't as much, but your Concentration checks for that wall of fur will be considerably more likely to succeed.

+1 for this ^.

Maintaining your concetration so your conjured animal front line does not go away is super important. So you will want Reslient (CON) and probably Warcaster after your Wisdom is maxed.