PDA

View Full Version : What are the best ways to make use of the Dragonblood subtype?

pabelfly
2019-07-30, 06:11 PM
What are the best ways to make use of having the Dragonblood subtype?

Asmotherion
2019-07-30, 06:18 PM
A) Be a sorcerer
B) Get Arcane Fusion+ Greater and Arcane Spellsurge (Cast as a bonus Action) on your spells
C) (Optionally get sanctum spell to be able to cast Spellsurges in your spellsurges infinite times; Extream cheese warning: Don't do that unless your DM specifically allows Extream Optimisation or he'll just ban the feat).
D) Profit.

Also get Undying Vigor of the Dragonlords and get some Arcane Healing (Self only though).

The Viscount
2019-07-30, 07:06 PM
The draconic soulmelds are restricted to dragonblood subtype. Of particular note are the claws of the wyrm and dragon tail, which give natural attacks when shaped, no binds necessary.

Thurbane
2019-07-30, 07:41 PM
Dragonblood Spell Pact spell (DoF p.115): amazing for spontaneous casters. Swap a spell known with any other dragonblood creature, even if it's not on your class list.

There's also a whole bunch of spells that give extra benefits if you have the dragonblood subtype: Dragoneye Rune, Lord of the Sky, Primal Instinct, Undying Vigor of the Dragonlords etc.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-07-30, 08:09 PM
Bards benefit from the feat Dragonfire Inspiration. Of particular note is the synergistic feat White Raven Song, which makes your Crusader/Warblade level stack with your Bard level for progressing Inspire Courage. Great for martial parties and characters that individually have a lot of attacks (e.g. TWFers and natural attackers).

I'm personally rather fond of the Dragonscale Husk ACF, which replaces heavy armor proficiency in any class that has it with a self-grown suit of dragon scales that improve as you level up. You can't wear armor with it, and it doesn't stack with most things that boost your armor... but magic items are an exception, and it stacks perfectly well with Bracers of Armor.

Macabaret
2019-07-30, 08:21 PM
The other dragonfire feats should get a mention, too. Dragonfire Strike is a great feat for a first level Glimmerskin Halfling with the Halfling Rogue substitution level with a hand crossbow or darts hiding in the shadows.
And, of course, your Pouncebarian friend will very much enjoy Dragonfire Assault for obvious reasons.
And Dragonfire Channeling is ... well ... it's in that same book, too.

daremetoidareyo
2019-07-30, 10:53 PM
Draconic claw: truestrike power attack every round

The Viscount
2019-07-31, 12:15 PM
I'm personally rather fond of the Dragonscale Husk ACF, which replaces heavy armor proficiency in any class that has it with a self-grown suit of dragon scales that improve as you level up. You can't wear armor with it, and it doesn't stack with most things that boost your armor... but magic items are an exception, and it stacks perfectly well with Bracers of Armor.

Does it call out magic items somewhere? I had always read the bit that said "This bonus doesn’t stack with any feat, racial trait, or other special ability that would grant you a bonus to Armor Class" as inclusive, but I suppose that they don't ever mention items anywhere. Since the bonus is untyped, is it understood to apply to touch and flatfooted as well? That might make it more worthwhile, even if it does have an ACP you can't lessen.

I wasn't aware that any of the ACFs required dragonblood subtype. If so, then the Drakkensteed familiar is an excellent choice for any Paladin. The only thing you use is the ability to speak with others of its kind (If anyone has ever used that ability I would love to hear) and you gain a mount that FLIES.

Alcore
2019-08-01, 10:12 AM
Dragon auras from dragonic magic can be used. it is regulated to a feat in that one (you can still be dragon shaman (PHB2) for the rest if desired) and is only a single feat. If taken twice and then pair with another dragonic feat you can have two auras out at one time. the effects are generally low but i think dragonblood subtype allows it to scale, a bit, with level. you will never out aura a dragon shaman though. My favorite aura is the fast healing one but only up to half health but still great for any melee class.

the best part is that it works with any class since they themselves are not a class. making it rather modular.

The Viscount
2019-08-01, 03:48 PM
Dragon auras from dragonic magic can be used. it is regulated to a feat in that one (you can still be dragon shaman (PHB2) for the rest if desired) and is only a single feat. If taken twice and then pair with another dragonic feat you can have two auras out at one time. the effects are generally low but i think dragonblood subtype allows it to scale, a bit, with level. you will never out aura a dragon shaman though. My favorite aura is the fast healing one but only up to half health but still great for any melee class.

the best part is that it works with any class since they themselves are not a class. making it rather modular.

You could also gain it via Marshal, but that's a worse option than Dragon Shaman. Unfortunately Draconic Auras in Dragon Magic do not include dragon shaman's healing aura. It'd be great if they did.

Alcore
2019-08-01, 04:00 PM
You could also gain it via Marshal, but that's a worse option than Dragon Shaman. Unfortunately Draconic Auras in Dragon Magic do not include dragon shaman's healing aura. It'd be great if they did.

Without the books on hand i will have to take your RAW over mine. Though they are all "dragonic auras" and a GM just might allow it. Food for thought and all.