PDA

View Full Version : 5e for other RPG genres

paladinn
2019-07-30, 09:51 PM
Back during the 3.x/D20 craze, the D20 system was being used for all kinds of RPG's, from horror to superheroes to D&D alternatives. I think that was a testament to the flexibility of the system, even if some adaptations (and even D&D) went off the rails with feat-bloat and such. And I happen to like the potential of mixing genres if desired.

I haven't seen a lot of the same adaptation with 5e. Does anyone know of such games? I'm interested in any such, and I'm specifically interested in superhero games. I thought the D20 version of Silver Age Sentinels was awesome; it really was D&D for superheroes, and was more faithful to D20 than Mutants & Masterminds (especially M&M 3e).

Any thoughts?

ImproperJustice
2019-07-30, 11:00 PM
There are some different homebrew options out there.

The trick with 5e is that it is very well designed to simulate its own genre.

Alternatively, there are many wonderful multi-genre systems already out there.

Have you taken a look at the Apocalypse Engine and Masks for instance?
It’s a great super hero based system.

There is also Savage Worlds (one of my faves) and the Genesys System.

Lastly, Stars Without Number is a very well designed OSR Game, that has a sci-fi setting but can easily accommodate multiple settings.

paladinn
2019-07-30, 11:11 PM
There are some different homebrew options out there.

The trick with 5e is that it is very well designed to simulate its own genre.

Alternatively, there are many wonderful multi-genre systems already out there.

Have you taken a look at the Apocalypse Engine and Masks for instance?
It’s a great super hero based system.

There is also Savage Worlds (one of my faves) and the Genesys System.

Lastly, Stars Without Number is a very well designed OSR Game, that has a sci-fi setting but can easily accommodate multiple settings.

Not exactly what I was asking. D20 was flexible enough to handle lots of different genres. I was wondering what's been ported to work with 5e.

I am familiar with SWN and other OSR games. I love what's been done to make games compatible with Labyrinth Lord (Mutant Future, Realms of Crawling Chaos, etc.) It's pretty easy to do cross-genre games with those. I don't think they've done a Supers version yet. But that is kind of what I'm thinking of: different genres for 5e-ish games.

NNescio
2019-07-31, 02:45 AM
There was an Unearthed Arcana article for playing in a modern setting. But with magic and all. Including some technomancy effects. Basically Shadowrun, sort of.

Lycurgon
2019-07-31, 04:39 AM
There are a number of 5e adaptations available or being developed. This list is not meant to be exhaustive I am sure there are others I don't know about/remember.

Finished Kickstarters that have not yet delivered -
Blades and Blasters (Rules for Aliens invading fantasy worlds)

Arcana of the Ancients (Rules for introducing Sci-Fi elements in Fantasy Worlds by Monte Cook Games.)

Dark Matter (Sci-Fi Fantasy - Magic and Technology combined in Space.)

GeneFunk 2090 (Cyber/Bio Punk)

Spaceships and Starwyrms (Sci-Fi Setting and Rules)

Ultramodern(5) Redux/Second Edition (Rules for a range of Modern and Futuristic Genres)

Finished Produces currently available on DrivethruRPG-
Ultramodern(5) first edition (First edition of above project.)

Esper Genesis (Sci-Fi Rules and Setting)

5th Evolution: WW2; 1980 Horror; and Superhero (A line of 3 products for modern rule including superheroes)

paladinn
2019-07-31, 08:31 AM
There are a number of 5e adaptations available or being developed. This list is not meant to be exhaustive I am sure there are others I don't know about/remember.

Finished Kickstarters that have not yet delivered -
Blades and Blasters (Rules for Aliens invading fantasy worlds)

Arcana of the Ancients (Rules for introducing Sci-Fi elements in Fantasy Worlds by Monte Cook Games.)

Dark Matter (Sci-Fi Fantasy - Magic and Technology combined in Space.)

GeneFunk 2090 (Cyber/Bio Punk)

Spaceships and Starwyrms (Sci-Fi Setting and Rules)

Ultramodern(5) Redux/Second Edition (Rules for a range of Modern and Futuristic Genres)

Finished Produces currently available on DrivethruRPG-
Ultramodern(5) first edition (First edition of above project.)

Esper Genesis (Sci-Fi Rules and Setting)

5th Evolution: WW2; 1980 Horror; and Superhero (A line of 3 products for modern rule including superheroes)

Thank you!!

I wish someone would adapt Silver Age Sentinels to 5e. That was a really cool game.. very underpromoted though