View Full Version : What would YOU do with a missile silo?

bingo_bob
2007-10-10, 05:41 PM
Titan Missile Base for Sale (http://cgi.ebay.com/Titan-Missile-Base-Central-Washington_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ1607QQihZ009 QQitemZ190132455924QQrdZ1)

So, if you had the funds, what would YOU do?

Personally, I'd start up a business recreating levels from FPSs. It's practically a level in every FPS ever.

Om
2007-10-10, 05:46 PM
I'd staff it with dim-witted henchmen and massive lasers.

Amiria
2007-10-10, 06:04 PM
I'd staff it with dim-witted henchmen and massive lasers.
Are you Dr. Drakken (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Drakken) ? :smalltongue:

Cobra_Ikari
2007-10-10, 06:08 PM
Titan Missile Base for Sale (http://cgi.ebay.com/Titan-Missile-Base-Central-Washington_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ1607QQihZ009 QQitemZ190132455924QQrdZ1)

Personally, I'd start up a business recreating levels from FPSs. It's practically a level in every FPS ever.

Use it for filming. And hold the best Airsoft battle EVER.

Possibly at the same time. :)

DraPrime
2007-10-10, 06:09 PM
Arm it, and then threaten WotC to make 4e exactly how I want it to be.

Use it for filming. And hold the best Airsoft battle EVER.

Possibly at the same time. :)

I would go for paintball, but whatever. Still, how cool would it be to have a shootout inside one of those things?

Ego Slayer
2007-10-10, 06:26 PM
I'd destroy it.

>.>
<.<

DraPrime
2007-10-10, 06:33 PM
I'd destroy it.

>.>
<.<

Why waste an empty missile silo when you can have so much fun?

zeratul
2007-10-10, 06:34 PM
The same thing I do every night bingo try to take over the world!

Were bingo, and the brain brain brain brain.........(:smalltongue: )

Evil_Pacifist
2007-10-10, 06:54 PM
Sounds like it would make a great Lair of Gaming.

Amotis
2007-10-10, 07:00 PM
I'd destroy it.

>.>
<.<

That would probably prove to be quite difficult.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-10-10, 07:11 PM
I would use it to store missiles. Duh. :smalltongue:

Cobra_Ikari
2007-10-10, 07:13 PM

I would "fire ze missiles!"

PhoeKun
2007-10-10, 07:15 PM
I would own a missile silo.

You may think it sounds boring, but imagine how great that will look on my resume...

Samiam303
2007-10-10, 07:16 PM
If I had a missile silo, I'd totally put in a stage and a huge-ass PA system and hold punk shows in it. :biggrin:

Amotis
2007-10-10, 07:20 PM
If I had a missile silo, I'd totally put in a stage and a huge-ass PA system and hold punk shows in it. :biggrin:

Teh irony! It burrrrrnssss....ow ow ow.

PhoeKun
2007-10-10, 07:25 PM
Even though irony is more akin to a sewing needle than anything burny?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-10-10, 07:25 PM

I would "fire ze missiles!"

But I am le tired...

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-10-10, 07:31 PM
Only 98.7% positive feedback, I probably wouldn't buy from them. I like to get my missile silos from just doing extensive metalwork on our Aussie grainsilos.

rubakhin
2007-10-10, 07:39 PM
Frighten the neighbors with my Eastern European accent and deep-seated hatred of America.

Seriously though? I would bring all of the destitute authors of the world to live there with me. (If I have a whole missile silo to myself in this scenario, I might as well have the unlimited resources required to spring dissidents from third-world hellholes.) We'd start a new literary movement. No matter what we wrote, we would automatically be the coolest literary movement by virtue of having a missile silo as our base of operations instead of some dismal cabaret in Paris.

PhoeKun
2007-10-10, 07:42 PM
Frighten the neighbors with my Eastern European accent and deep-seated hatred of America.

Seriously though? I would bring all of the destitute authors of the world to live there with me. (If I have a whole missile silo to myself in this scenario, I might as well have the unlimited resources required to spring dissidents from third-world hellholes.) We'd start a new literary movement. No matter what we wrote, we would automatically be the coolest literary movement by virtue of having a missile silo as our base of operations instead of some dismal cabaret in Paris.

Your ideas intrigue me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter...

bugsysservant
2007-10-10, 07:44 PM
I think the question is actually what wouldn't you do with a missile silo...

SurlySeraph
2007-10-10, 07:47 PM
I'd turn it into an impregnable, doomsday-surviving fortress. Instead of replacing the missiles, I'd use the silos to gather sunlight and reflect it down to underground greenhouses. And I'd have, like... cattle... and stuff. And impregnable walls! And stuff!

StickMan
2007-10-10, 08:14 PM
Oh lets buy it, we can turn it in to the real world playground. Now if we get 1,500 people to pitch in 1000 bucks then we'll be good to go. I'm not even joking here we have that many members easy. We can fix it up turn it in to an underground geek heaven.

Come on lets do it. We just need 1,499 people.

Hell Puppi
2007-10-10, 08:33 PM
I'd build lots of traps and ridiculous puzzles that people would have to solve in order to get through the silo, then at the very end of the silo have a 'final boss' room.
Then think of a reason for people to come into the silo.:smallbiggrin:

Raiser Blade
2007-10-10, 08:40 PM
I'd build lots of traps and ridiculous puzzles that people would have to solve in order to get through the silo, then at the very end of the silo have a 'final boss' room.
Then think of a reason for people to come into the silo.:smallbiggrin:

While we all know what's the best prize if you want a lot of guys to try and beat your dungeon silo. *whistles innocently*

Icewalker
2007-10-10, 08:52 PM
Oh lets buy it, we can turn it in to the real world playground. Now if we get 1,500 people to pitch in 1000 bucks then we'll be good to go. I'm not even joking here we have that many members easy. We can fix it up turn it in to an underground geek heaven.

Come on lets do it. We just need 1,499 people.

You know, that would be an awesome idea. but $1000 is quite a bit....

StupidFatHobbit
2007-10-10, 08:53 PM
I'd install a window in the above-ground part so I could sit behind the window to point and laugh at the thousands of people on the Something Awful forums and Penny Arcade and pretty much everyone else online who has discussed the possibility of raising the money to buy this thing for their group.

I don't remember where I first saw that link, but I've seen it everywhere since then, and the reaction it gets is always exactly the same.

In this crazy world we live in, there are still a few things that are true unifiers of humanity. And one of those things is the fundamental knowledge that deep down, no matter who you are, no matter what your race, creed, age, background, gender or nationality, you know it would be awesome to own a vast secret underground base.

Hell Puppi
2007-10-10, 09:05 PM
I
In this crazy world we live in, there are still a few things that are true unifiers of humanity. And one of those things is the fundamental knowledge that deep down, no matter who you are, no matter what your race, creed, age, background, gender or nationality, you know it would be awesome to own a vast secret underground base.

That, and quite possibly, owning a mythical creature.
Mostly dragons.

StickMan
2007-10-10, 09:14 PM
You know, that would be an awesome idea. but $1000 is quite a bit....

OK $500 each. Or we could ask rich to set up like a pledge donation thing, then when we hit the magic number we all go in and get it.

Edit: If ever member of the forum gives $67 we can afford it that work for every one.

Jack Squat
2007-10-10, 09:51 PM
I would give $67...if there wasn't the problem that it'll cost me a few hundred just to visit the place, and there's also the problem of property tax.

Don't know how much it is up there, but I'm not sure everyone could give the $67 + help pay for taxes.

Icewalker
2007-10-10, 10:07 PM
No, I'd say the main issue is that most of those members are inactive, or don't particularly want a missile silo.

Also, it might not be 1500000...what about SHIPPING CHARGES! AAAAAGH!

Lucky
2007-10-10, 10:11 PM
No, I'd say the main issue is that most of those members are inactive, or don't particularly want a missile silo.

Also, it might not be 1500000...what about SHIPPING CHARGES! AAAAAGH!No. The main issue is that a certain leprechaun has already purchased it and filled it will cruise missiles, intent on revenge against a certain man who really likes books.
He also doesn't like visitors.

Harlequin
2007-10-10, 10:12 PM
And hold the best Airsoft battle EVER.

That is exactly what I was talking to my friend about just now. Best part is, I live there. If I turn up another 1.498 million we could buy it.

Winter_Wolf
2007-10-10, 10:28 PM
Fill the silos with odd protrusions, and fit it up for "extreme bungie jumping". Then, sell tickets to the thing to afford the massive army of lawyers to help me fend off the constant lawsuits running such an operation would inevitably incur.

Shirocco
2007-10-10, 11:53 PM
Begin digging for mithril.

Vuzzmop
2007-10-11, 01:36 AM
A missile silo? So many countries, so many governments to hold hostage, so much chaos, so little time! Unless of course it is only short range, and then I'd make myself the only well armed wing of the NZ military.

Xuincherguixe
2007-10-11, 02:51 AM
Live there :P

Be something you could brag about, "Hi. I live in an abandoned missle silo.

Probably a fairly safe place too.

Triggerhappy938
2007-10-11, 03:33 AM
Have a gaming convention out of it.

Reinboom
2007-10-11, 03:59 AM
Have a gaming convention out of it.

Fix the airstrip up, build a nice motel on the top, and that would be an excellent business strategy AND cool. Most of the time, hotel and resort - with a underground missile silo convention center in it? And an airstrip to cheaply flight people to it? It would be the perfect gitp get together locale.

Imagine what you could do for the LARP events...

or better yet, a place to house my army of clones. They're getting hungry and stuffed up crowded - please - think of the army of clones.

Dean Fellithor
2007-10-11, 04:25 AM
"Are you interested in tha Party?"

Setra
2007-10-11, 04:42 AM
Sell it on ebay.

North
2007-10-11, 04:46 AM
Fill it with JELL-O

Closet_Skeleton
2007-10-11, 05:36 AM
I would turn it into a big bath tub.

Or turn it into a culture for bacteria and rent it to people who want large ammounts of bacteria derived produce.

Or I could build numerous floors into it and fill it with treasure and wild animals, then invite people in.

PlatinumJester
2007-10-11, 05:39 AM
Sell it to North Korea.

FdL
2007-10-11, 06:14 AM
I'd take it down so it cannot be used to kill innocent people or threaten other countries with it. I would probably build a school or a hospital where it stood.

Om
2007-10-11, 06:49 AM

Come on lets do it. We just need 1,499 people.I'm in. Of course someone would have to do something about the Stalagmen (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/10/10)

Quincunx
2007-10-11, 06:54 AM
Provoke a re-enactment of "Wabbit Season".
Hopefully not as Daffy.

blademaster42
2007-10-11, 07:19 AM
I'd take it down so it cannot be used to kill innocent people or threaten other countries with it. I would probably build a school or a hospital where it stood.

Pfft, you're no fun. I'm liking the idead of making it a group buy so lots of people could live there. And it would make an AWESOME pickup line.

"Hey baby, I live in a missile silo." :smallwink:

"Take me! I'm yours!"

Or maybe not...:smalltongue:

Castaras
2007-10-11, 07:41 AM
Hmm.

Nuke people with it? :smalltongue:

Or more seriously, I'd keep it out of the hands of the army, or destroy it.

StupidFatHobbit
2007-10-11, 08:29 AM
You guys are aware it does not actually have missiles in it, right? :smallconfused: The chances of it ever being used to threaten other countries are roughly equal to the chances of threatening other countries with any other vacant lot filled with trash, graffiti, busted-up concrete and rusted girders.

The army had it and doesn't want it any more. The U.S. government is the only body even remotely capable of getting this thing back into working order as a missile base, and they don't want to. So, you know, I think we're all cool there.

Trog
2007-10-11, 08:45 AM
Finally! A place to put Trog's massive spiral staircase. *gets staircase, money to buy silo, slinkys*

Skippy
2007-10-11, 08:50 AM
Pfft, you're no fun. I'm liking the idead of making it a group buy so lots of people could live there. And it would make an AWESOME pickup line.

"Hey baby, I live in a missile silo." :smallwink:

"Take me! I'm yours!"

Or maybe not...:smalltongue:

The why let people live there? I'd live in the silo myself, to use that pickup line. But I'd add something like:

"Hey baby, I live in a missile silo. Go out with me ot I'll nuke your place" :smallwink:

That should do it.

Last_resort_33
2007-10-11, 09:18 AM
Hold the next GitP Meetup in it.... just so we could all have a game of the UKitP Smash Hit, Nuclear War.

Charity... Can we borrow 750K and your copy of nuclear war?

Charity
2007-10-11, 09:34 AM
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

No worries... oo I ordered the final suppliment helllooo MX missiles and spaceplatforms..

Archonic Energy
2007-10-11, 09:38 AM
Hold the next GitP Meetup in it.... just so we could all have a game of the UKitP Smash Hit, Nuclear War.

Charity... Can we borrow 750K and your copy of nuclear war?

strange, i was thinking a network of PCs running DEFCON... on Large sized monitors

Solo
2007-10-11, 09:39 AM

Given that it was designed to survive nuclear warfare, you may find that proposition rather difficult to enact.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-10-11, 09:52 AM
Look, life isn't Command and Conquor, empty missile silos do not recharge missiles after a certain ammount of time. Life is more like Starcraft...

Wait. This metaphore has already failed.

Triggerhappy938
2007-10-11, 09:57 AM
Look, life isn't Command and Conquor, empty missile silos do not recharge missiles after a certain ammount of time. Life is more like Starcraft...

Wait. This metaphore has already failed.

No, you're right. What we need are additional pylons.

Jibar
2007-10-11, 10:28 AM
Nerf guns.
I'd buy an arsenal of nerf guns, and set up armouries, med rooms, everything I'd need to stage the single greatest nerf battles in history.
Then me and my friends would kit up in camo gear, get night vision goggles, all that kind of stuff, and we would wage war.

Then I'd stock it with real guns and prepare for Z-Day.

Em Blackleaf
2007-10-11, 10:30 AM
Nerf guns.
I'd buy an arsenal of nerf guns, and set up armouries, med rooms, everything I'd need to stage the single greatest nerf battles in history.
Then me and my friends would kit up in camo gear, get night vision goggles, all that kind of stuff, and we would wage war...

That sounds awesome!
I wanna play! :smallbiggrin:

CrazedGoblin
2007-10-11, 10:54 AM

how very boring surely you could build a swimming pool or something, i know what id do, id first install a nucleur reactor then fill the entire bunker with as many furbys as possible then make the reactor go critical BOOOOM!!

Closet_Skeleton
2007-10-11, 11:24 AM
how very boring surely you could build a swimming pool or something, i know what id do, id first install a nucleur reactor then fill the entire bunker with as many furbys as possible then make the reactor go critical BOOOOM!!

When a nuclear reactor goes critical, it doesn't explode in a big way, it just spreads radioactive material over a massive (possibly at least a continent) area.

A nuclear reactor can never be used as a nuclear bomb.

Darken Rahl
2007-10-11, 12:11 PM
Nerf guns.
Then me and my friends would kit up in camo gear, get night vision goggles, all that kind of stuff, and we would wage war.

Then I'd stock it with real guns and prepare for Z-Day.

Install and launch a nerf ICBM.

eidreff
2007-10-11, 12:20 PM
I would place a concealed trapdoor over the entrance and slither down to the bottom, awaiting the screaming vicitims that drop in for lunch. *slobber*

Jibar
2007-10-11, 12:44 PM
Install and launch a nerf ICBM.

You sir have won all kinds of awesome points, and get an invite to my Nerf Bunker.

Solo
2007-10-11, 01:38 PM

In America.

For great justice.

FdL
2007-10-11, 01:42 PM
Given that it was designed to survive nuclear warfare, you may find that proposition rather difficult to enact.

If there's been a way to build it, there'll be a way to destroy it. Things are not all that out of control.

Solo
2007-10-11, 02:05 PM
If there's been a way to build it, there'll be a way to destroy it. Things are not all that out of control.

I suppose, but why would you want to destroy a decrepit, decommissioned missile silo?

CrazedGoblin
2007-10-11, 02:33 PM
When a nuclear reactor goes critical, it doesn't explode in a big way, it just spreads radioactive material over a massive (possibly at least a continent) area.

A nuclear reactor can never be used as a nuclear bomb.

dammit, ok then a HUGE nuclear bomb then, that should kill the little buggers good and propper

Arang
2007-10-11, 02:42 PM
There's no point in destroying it. It's about as destructive and useful as any other huge hole in the ground.

Jack Squat
2007-10-11, 06:49 PM
you know...reading through the listing, it's not just a missle silo...it's a full base (you know...normal above ground buildings and all) containing 3 silos.

...just sayin'

Cyrano
2007-10-11, 07:18 PM
If I owned this Missile Base/Silo, I pledge to raise the standards of our education! I promise to you, my loyal voters, that I will personally oversee the construction of new schoools! In addition, I lower taxes by at least 5 percent! I would make up for the difference by selling the Missile Base/Silo on eBay.

Hell Puppi
2007-10-11, 07:23 PM
No! Bad D'anna! No power for you!

Archonic Energy
2007-10-12, 10:05 AM

huh... someone made a Protoss Joke.

Harlequin
2007-10-12, 12:40 PM
you know...reading through the listing, it's not just a missle silo...it's a full base (you know...normal above ground buildings and all) containing 3 silos.

Also reading the listing, the 100-foot diameter control dome overlooks one of the silos. So you can refurbish it and make it into an apartment...with a view!

Xhalaran
2007-10-12, 05:17 PM
What to do with a missile silo, eh? Hmm... Well there is a couple of choices.
1. Refurnish it into an animal shelter for abused puppies and kittens...
or 2. Use it for what it was meant for: total control of a region with an iron grip, and anyone who gets in your way will be blown up into a thousand crispy bite size pieces.

(personally, I would go with 1. since I'm a crappy leader, but I guess I could just give it to someone who would actually be a good leader.)

Cyrano
2007-10-12, 05:48 PM
No! Bad D'anna! No power for you!

But I like electricity! It powers my brain-in-a-jar!

Hell Puppi
2007-10-12, 06:28 PM
D'anna, I'm not sure I'd like to live in a world where you had power over anything (aside from, you know, a light switch, or yourself).

No offense. I'm not sure I'd want to live in a world where I had power, either.

Cyrano
2007-10-12, 06:29 PM
D'anna, I'm not sure I'd like to live in a world where you had power over anything (aside from, you know, a light switch, or yourself).

No offense. I'm not sure I'd want to live in a world where I had power, either.

What? You wouldn't want free bananas?

Hell Puppi
2007-10-12, 06:31 PM
o_O

O_o

mayyyyybbbeeeee.....

Tarnag40k
2007-10-14, 07:04 PM
What to do with a missile silo, eh? Hmm... Well there is a couple of choices.
1. Refurnish it into an animal shelter for abused puppies and kittens...
or 2. Use it for what it was meant for: total control of a region with an iron grip, and anyone who gets in your way will be blown up into a thousand crispy bite size pieces.

(personally, I would go with 1. since I'm a crappy leader, but I guess I could just give it to someone who would actually be a good leader.)

well since no one else is running against me, I will now make my presidental speech.

If I am elected as dominant controler and ruler of, I mean president of this country, I will over rule you with an iron grip, I mean soft very protective hands....

You know what forget that I'm to lazy to rule the world, I'll just hold it hostage untill I get my kouki and my R32, house everyone I actually would be annoyed by to much, and then press the big red button.

like I said, I'm a lazy evil supervillian.

Renrik
2007-10-14, 07:17 PM
I would sell it to Iran at a hugely inflated price (not telling them that it has no nukes, uranium, or atomic technology left in it)

Then, with Iran in a huge shortage of money and its people pissed at its leadership, I would use the money to corner the oil market in Iran by building and owning the best oil refineries in the country. I would reap untild profits, which I would then use to invest in certain sectors of Iran to make it turn out exactly the way I wanted, and use my new pupet state to reap even more money, eventually extending my control to much of the Middle East, then use my untold fortunes to buy a small third world naton in central Africa, become a maniacal and bloodthirsty dictator (are there any other kind?), and leave behind a legacy of cruelty and shame when I die of cancer decades later.

or maybe I'd just hold some paintball battles.

thubby
2007-10-14, 09:30 PM
turn it into the world's best paint ball field and hold epic events the likes of which the world has never seen.
rent it to the military for training and/or use should the need arise.
turn at least one building into my personal laboratory to build w/e i feel like.

OverdrivePrime
2007-10-15, 08:48 AM
I'd turn it into an impregnable, doomsday-surviving fortress. Instead of replacing the missiles, I'd use the silos to gather sunlight and reflect it down to underground greenhouses. And I'd have, like... cattle... and stuff. And impregnable walls! And stuff!

Sometimes it bothers me how much SurlySeraph thinks in the same directions that I do. Directed Sunlight Powered Underground Arcology for the win!

FireSpark
2007-10-15, 01:23 PM
Well, I think I'd make it into the most awesome domicile ever. Silo number one will be turned into a massive arboretum, cause the wife loves plants and such. Silo number two would become an artificial rock climbing attraction. Silo number three I'd refurbish and restore to its original condition, and then I'd build an aluminum replica of a Titan I, just to make people do double takes.:smallbiggrin: The rest would be turned into living spaces and the like. Such as turning the old command bunker into my gaming central, since if I had enough to pick up a missile base, I'd be able to afford and sort of game (video, tabletop, or otherwise) that I wanted.

That, or I'd start my own religion (http://www.believersmovie.com/). :smalltongue:

Aotrs Commander
2007-10-18, 09:42 AM
Restock it with a varity of Aotrs-issue missle weapons and turn into a secret Aotrs military installation and then use that as leverage to persuade the boss that I should be able to cursh Earth beneath my boney foot.

Or failing that, build a giant adamantine-bladed blender to drop puppies, kittens and any other 'cute' mammals into and transmit the images worldwide.

Just out of, y'know, spite.