PDA

View Full Version : UA Artificier (2017) Thunder Monger

Buji
2019-07-31, 11:03 AM
Question. With the Artificier (2017) Gumsmith class, can Thunder Monger be used every round, or I guess what's the proper way of using it?
The Thunder Cannon is a ranged weapon that does 2d6 piercing damage, and has to be reloaded after every shot as a bonus action.
Since it says "as an action, you can make a special attack with your Thunder Cannon that deals an extra 1d6 thunder damage on hit"
Is it 1.: Start turn > roll to hit with TM > 2d6 piercing + 1d6 thunder > reload (bonus), then next turn just repeat?

or is it 2.: Start turn > roll to hit with TC > 2d6P > reload > roll to hit > TM > 1d6T. Next turn: reload > thunder cannon > damage > no reload due to using bonus action already

Aett_Thorn
2019-07-31, 07:58 PM
Thunder Monger is just bonus damage once a turn. It’s basically like sneak attack damage that requires no setup. But it definitely doesn’t take its own turn to do.

Misterwhisper
2019-07-31, 08:10 PM
Thunder Monger is just bonus damage once a turn. It’s basically like sneak attack damage that requires no setup. But it definitely doesn’t take its own turn to do.

Actually it is not once a turn, it is just that it takes an action.

You can’t make more with extra attack but you could with Haste.

Start with loaded weapon.
Take action to attack doing normal damage plus whatever extra d6s you have
Bonus action reload
Haste action to fire again.

End up with unloaded weapon, but you could fire twice.

Artificers even have haste on their spell list.

Damon_Tor
2019-07-31, 08:39 PM
Actually it is not once a turn, it is just that it takes an action.

You can’t make more with extra attack but you could with Haste.

Start with loaded weapon.
Take action to attack doing normal damage plus whatever extra d6s you have
Bonus action reload
Haste action to fire again.

End up with unloaded weapon, but you could fire twice.

Artificers even have haste on their spell list.

Keep in mind it doesn't have to be YOUR bonus action that reloads the weapon.

Your turn:
Action: Thunder Monger Attack
Bonus Action: reload
Haste Action: Thunder Monger Attack

Your Mechanical Companion:
Action: Dodge. At this level it's not a meaningful combatant anyway.
Bonus Action: reload

So every turn you get to fire it twice for full damage.

Buji
2019-08-02, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback.
The thing that was making it confusing for me was the fact that it says it does an "extra" 1d6 thunder damage.

Simply having extra in it made me think that it's the normal 2d6P plus the extra xd6 thunder. Rather than saying like, "Instead of conducting your normal attack, you can use an action to deal 1d6 thunder damage..."

But since it does increase 1d6 every 2 odd levels, I figure that once you hit level 5+, it'll generally be better to use just Thunder Monger, rather than basic attack (without the use of haste, mechanical servant, etc)

Misterwhisper
2019-08-02, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the feedback.
The thing that was making it confusing for me was the fact that it says it does an "extra" 1d6 thunder damage.

Simply having extra in it made me think that it's the normal 2d6P plus the extra xd6 thunder. Rather than saying like, "Instead of conducting your normal attack, you can use an action to deal 1d6 thunder damage..."

But since it does increase 1d6 every 2 odd levels, I figure that once you hit level 5+, it'll generally be better to use just Thunder Monger, rather than basic attack (without the use of haste, mechanical servant, etc)

It is the extra damage on top of the normal attack. It works just like sneak attack and has the same damage track.