PDA

View Full Version : Ixalan Vampire build - Bard, Cleric, Monk?

Falcos
2019-07-31, 11:28 AM
Hi all!

I've been offered a slot in a home game that can use any published D&D material - including the Plane Shifts and UAs. Naturally, I'm trying to scratch that Vampire itch that has been tickling the back of my mind since PS:Ixalan came out.

So now, I need to decide what class to play, and what general build/strategy to use. I'm tossing around the classes in the thread title: Bard, Cleric, and Monk. There are pros and cons to each one in my mind.

I should say that this is a fairly high-op campaign, from what I've been told, and I don't want to be a slouch compared to the rest of my party.

So, playground, I've come here, cap in hand, to ask if anybody has any advice on any of the points I've mentioned.

Thank you all in advance. :)

zinycor
2019-07-31, 12:13 PM
What level will your character be? What are the other players playing as? What are your stats?

Falcos
2019-07-31, 12:35 PM
Starting at one but will apparently be going up to twenty. Unsure, I'm building in a bit of a vacuum right now. And Point Buy, the AL standard stat amount. (But, as mentioned, not AL rules otherwise)

Vogie
2019-07-31, 12:36 PM
In general, a Long Death Monk would fit with a general Vampire's theme. Terrify things, be incredibly hard to kill, and siphon life energy when you take something out. .

In Ixalan specifically, Vampires are usually part of the Legion of Dusk, a group of conquistadors entering the "new world". A Valor Bard would work as a rank & file Vampire soldier (https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=439668).

However, there are many examples in the cards for the blocks that could support Grave (https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=435156), Life (https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=435167), and War (https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=435242)clerics of the Church of Dusk.

Ventruenox
2019-07-31, 12:37 PM
I can see a Lore Bard grapple/support build really shining with an Ixalan Vampire.

Racial stat bonuses will give you the invaluable +2 Charisma, and the +1 Wisdom will let you put an odd numbered stat score for that attribute.

The Bloodthirst ability requires willingness, grappled, restrained, or incapacitated status on your victim. You could spend spell slots on something like Command with a Cleric ("Submit!"), or pass a persuasion check, or some other restraining spell. Grappling requires less resources, and you can control the enemy movement while you are at it.

Bards get Expertise, so Persuasion and Athletics would be good choices. The Cutting Words ability is one of the best Bonus Action abilities in the game, useful for both you and your team. If the situation calls for bolstering you team, provide them with Bardic Inspiration at range.

The bardic spell options are ideal. You can emulate iconic vampiric abilities with them. A few suggestions:
- Friends (advantage on Charisma checks when you are going to bite them anyway? Sure.)
- Vicious Mockery (makes for amazing RP opportunities along with aiding the party)
- Charm Person
- Disguise Self
- Detect Thoughts
- Enhance Ability
- Invisibility
- Suggestion
- Phantasmal Force

Feats worth consideration: Tavern Brawler and Vampiric Exultation. Check with your DM, but you could possibly up the 1 + 1d6 necrotic damage of your Bloodthirst to 1d4 + 1d6 with Tavern Brawler. You also get the bonus action grapple attempt. Or, once per short rest you get a 30' flying speed for 10 minutes. Grapple, fly up, and drop opponents prone for more damage.

You won't be the primary damage dealer, but your out of combat versatility and manipulation powers in and out of combat will make you an asset to any party.

I'm curious as to the the RP characterization you have in mind for your vamp.

Falcos
2019-07-31, 12:56 PM
For RP, I was thinking that I was one of the Legion of Dusk's "explorers", and whoops, magic happened and now I'm in Faerun. Torn between "Go home" and "Claim this place for vampiric glory" as my primary motivators. Probably go with both.

Bard is sounding more and more attractive, but I'm slightly put off by an arbitrary restriction on the race that the DM has handed down: Automatic disadvantage to all saves while I'm in direct sunlight, unless I'm under the effects of my blood-drinking passive. Do people have any ideas for how to mitigate that? Considering just dropping Darkness everywhere...

zinycor
2019-07-31, 01:00 PM
I would go with shadow monk, it would give you various powers related to being in the shadows and allow you to surprise enemies in order to drink them.

Ventruenox
2019-07-31, 01:13 PM
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/oots/images/5/5c/Newmitd.PNG/revision/latest?cb=20170402020217

Get clarification on direct sunlight. Is it just your skin? Heavy clothing. Be thankful it's not the Drow or Kobold sunlight sensitivity. Other options: stick to the shadows, adventure at night, or take the lucky feat to offset that disadvantage.

Amechra
2019-07-31, 02:24 PM
I'd get the GM to clarify whether or not Martial Arts buffs the non-necrotic damage from Bloodthirst, and whether or not you can replace a normal unarmed strike with a Bloodthirst attack.

If the answer to both of those questions is yes, I'd suggest going Monk. Do the standard Grapple → Shove combo, then follow up with a flurry of Bloodthirsts. Dipping a level in Rogue will get you Expertise in Athletics, so you'll be able to get away with a lower Strength score than would normally be advisable.

Falcos
2019-07-31, 02:46 PM
I'd get the GM to clarify whether or not Martial Arts buffs the non-necrotic damage from Bloodthirst, and whether or not you can replace a normal unarmed strike with a Bloodthirst attack.

If the answer to both of those questions is yes, I'd suggest going Monk. Do the standard Grapple → Shove combo, then follow up with a flurry of Bloodthirsts. Dipping a level in Rogue will get you Expertise in Athletics, so you'll be able to get away with a lower Strength score than would normally be advisable.

I plan to get an answer from the GM on this one, but it does lead to an... Interesting mental image.

"I have honed my martial art for years, carefully refining my technique with meditation and inner reflection."
-CHOMP-

GlenSmash!
2019-07-31, 03:16 PM
I know it's not one of your choices, but I here's a neat thing about Ixalan Vampire Zealot Barbarians.

One of cool things about Ixalan Vampires is their bite can actually restore hitpoints, not just grant THP like other planeshift Vampires.

This has a great synergy with a Zealots Rage Beyond Death where a Raging zealot can still be alive and fighting even after falling to 0 hp and failing 3 death saves. And as long as they gain a single point of HP back (or more) before the end of their rage they will be just fine.

So Rage and fight completely ignoring all damage and then make sure to Grapple and bite before your Rage is over and you'll be functionally immortal.

Falcos
2019-07-31, 03:40 PM
I know it's not one of your choices, but I here's a neat thing about Ixalan Vampire Zealot Barbarians.

One of cool things about Ixalan Vampires is their bite can actually restore hitpoints, not just grant THP like other planeshift Vampires.

This has a great synergy with a Zealots Rage Beyond Death where a Raging zealot can still be alive and fighting even after falling to 0 hp and failing 3 death saves. And as long as they gain a single point of HP back (or more) before the end of their rage they will be just fine.

So Rage and fight completely ignoring all damage and then make sure to Grapple and bite before your Rage is over and you'll be functionally immortal.

That is really neat, but I just played a grapple-barbarian and I'm all barbarian'd out for the immediate future, I'm afraid.

But definitely bearing that in mind for future reference.

zinycor
2019-07-31, 05:08 PM
I plan to get an answer from the GM on this one, but it does lead to an... Interesting mental image.

"I have honed my martial art for years, carefully refining my technique with meditation and inner reflection."
-CHOMP-
Well, Nothing says that you can't hone the way you use your bite into a refined art.