PDA

View Full Version : Original System What's a good mental resource pool?

Greywander
2019-07-31, 05:29 PM
I'm playing with the idea of using resource pools to limit how much a character can do before needing a quick rest. I'm not talking per-day abilities, but more like per-encounter abilities. I was also thinking of using four base attributes to compartmentalize different tasks, and of giving each one it's own resource pool.

The four attributes and the resource pools I'm considering right now are:

Vigor - All your "macro-physical" feats, i.e. running, jumping, climbing, fighting, and maybe archery
Resource pool is stamina; you can't do much once you're tired out.

Precision - All your "micro-physical" feats, i.e. crafting, tool use, sneaking, crossbow and gun use, etc.
Resource pool is focus; it's difficult to concentrate on these things when you're distracted.

Insight - All your mental feats
I don't know what to do for the resource pool for this one.

Ethos - All your social feats
Resource pool is patience; it's hard to deal with others in a calm and reasonable way when you lose your cool.

As you can see, I'm having trouble deciding what to use for the mental tasks. I'm thinking about doubling up and using focus for both Precision and Insight tasks, but I'm not sure this is a good idea. Doing so would imply that I should collapse Precision and Insight into a single attribute and just use a three attribute system of Body, Mind, and Social. Maybe the resource pool could be something like "wisdom" or "judgement"? Once you run out, it becomes harder to make good decisions?