PDA

View Full Version : Cheese: Is spellcasting an extraordinary ability?

CASTLEMIKE
2007-10-10, 06:14 PM
Thinking about the Factotum and Cunning Brillance Cheese.

D20 Modern lists Arcane Spellcasting as a class special for The Mage PRC.

If it is listed somewhere in a source book as an Extraordinary ability spontaneous spellcasting could be utilized for up to 10 rounds 3/day as an option since no prayer or studying would be required.

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-10, 06:16 PM
Spellcasting is neither extraordinary, supernatural or spell-like. It is simply spellcasting.

Martial maneuvers are (mostly) extraordinary. Soulmelds are supernatural. Psionic powers are spell-like. Spells... are spells. :smallconfused: Why they're not supernatural I'll never know.

Saph
2007-10-10, 06:21 PM
Spellcasting isn't an extraordinary ability because it's more basic than any of the 'abilities'. That's why Spell-Like-Abilities are defined in terms of spells, rather than the other way round.

- Saph

Dausuul
2007-10-10, 06:28 PM
If I had to pick one of the standard categories (extraordinary, supernatural, spell-like) for spellcasting, I'd pick spell-like. But as previous posters have said, the correct answer is really "none of the above."

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-10, 06:41 PM
Thinking about the Factotum and Cunning Brillance Cheese.

D20 Modern lists Arcane Spellcasting as a class special for The Mage PRC.

If it is listed somewhere in a source book as an Extraordinary ability spontaneous spellcasting could be utilized for up to 10 rounds 3/day as an option since no prayer or studying would be required.
D20 Modern is not a D&D resource.

Spellcasting is clearly not an (Ex) ability, because it does not work in an anti-magic field. Moreover, it is not listed as any type of special ability, as mentioned above. It's a separate entity entirely.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-10-10, 07:20 PM
Appreciate the responses.

I know this is just a Cheese thread query asking if anyone has ever seen "Spellcasting" listed as an Extraordinary ability in one of the different source books or Dragon issues. Acknowledge it is doubtful any but a handful of DMs would allow it but still curious if there is such a source from an optimization point.

Mentioned D20 Modern because Arcane Spellcasting is listed in the class Special section.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-10, 07:59 PM
I'm just saying, d20 Modern doesn't count because it's an entirely different game system. It's also not listed as an Extraordinary Ability there, just a class feature with no such descriptor.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-10-11, 01:23 AM
I'm just saying, d20 Modern doesn't count because it's an entirely different game system. It's also not listed as an Extraordinary Ability there, just a class feature with no such descriptor.

Never posted it was an Extraordinary ability in D20 Modern just that the Arcane Spellcasting was listed as a class special which is a deviation from normal spellcasting class descriptions.

Lot's of source books. I'm just curious if someone has seen a source book or Dragon issue that identifed it as an Extraordinary ability.

If spellcasting was listed in a D20 Wizard's product as an Extraordinary Ability I would think the final decision would rest on your DM (Most probably wouldn't allow it).

TheOOB
2007-10-11, 01:32 AM
Note though, that a creature who has spells prepare or if you have avaible per day does have the hidden spellcaster trait (as well as arcane spellcaster and/divine spellcaster based on what type of spells they are). This becomes important if you say have a weapon that deals extra damage to a creature who is a spellcaster.

Incidentally, if you have no spells prepared/no spells per day left you are not considered a spellcaster, reguardless if you have levels in a casting class. Thus a wizard who is feebleminded is no longer a caster.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-10-11, 02:13 AM
Never posted it was an Extraordinary ability in D20 Modern just that the Arcane Spellcasting was listed as a class special which is a deviation from normal spellcasting class descriptions.

Not so. Spellcasting is covered in the Class Features section of every class which has spellcasting as a feature.

Unless you meant that "Arcane Spellcasting" was listed in the Special column of the class table...

CASTLEMIKE
2007-10-11, 04:27 AM
Unless you meant that "Arcane Spellcasting" was listed in the Special column of the class table...

"Arcane Spellcasting" is exactly what I typed in the first post.

AtomicKitKat
2007-10-11, 08:11 AM
Spellcasting is probably supernatural or extraordinary. Doesn't really matter which, since the actual spells themselves will fizzle in an AMF.

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-11, 08:21 AM
Spellcasting is probably supernatural or extraordinary. Doesn't really matter which, since the actual spells themselves will fizzle in an AMF.

What? Of course it matters! Or are you saying that polymorphing into a monster with spellcasting abilities should give you spellcasting abilities?

There are five types of abilities: natural abilities, extraordinary abilities, supernatural abilities, spell-like abilities and spellcasting. These distinctions matter, as the poster of this thread so adequately demonstrated.

OneWinged4ngel
2007-10-11, 11:46 AM
Spellcasting is probably supernatural or extraordinary.

No, it's probably not. In fact, it's *definitely* not. The PHB tells you it's not.