PDA

View Full Version : Gate question

HamsterKun
2019-08-01, 02:10 AM
Is it possible with the Gate spell to open up a portal between two Material Planes, such as one between Toril (Forgotten Realms) and Oerth (Greyhawk)? Or maybe even one between OUR world and theirs? Seems like something beyond 9th Level tbh.

Yuki Akuma
2019-08-01, 03:19 AM
In second edition AD&D, explicitly no - all Material worlds exist in the same plane, suspended in crystal spheres that prevent travel between them except through a process called 'Spelljamming'.*

...In later editions, who knows? Whatever floats your boat man.

* Also even if the crystal spheres weren't there, Gate isn't a teleportation spell, so you'd still have issues.

Ninja_Prawn
2019-08-01, 05:12 AM
Last I heard, all planets are still on the same Material Plane in 5e. I'm not sure there's anything to stop you teleporting between them though. 'Crystal spheres' isn't ringing any bells for me.

Mechalich
2019-08-01, 05:35 AM
Gate opens to precisely where you want it to open, so, what you can do is open a Gate to the Astral Plane right next to a color pool that allows egress onto the alternative Prime Material world of your choice. A bit kludgy, but it should work (you'll need some fairly powerful divinations to locate an appropriate color pool though.