PDA

View Full Version : The "Is this a good gestalt?" thread

jjpickar
2007-10-10, 06:19 PM
I wish to learn more about making good gestalt characters but have little experience in making them so I thought I might make a thread for myself and others like me who would like to know.

Gestalt builds I'm curious about power-wise:

Marshal/Bard

Warlock/Rogue

Fighter/Druid

Hexblade/Rogue (evasion+mettle=good that much I do know)

So, are they any good?

JackMage666
2007-10-10, 06:40 PM
Marshal/Bard

Good Support, not so much on their own.

Warlock/Rogue
Has some strong points (Like Invisibility as Invocation), but overall not that great. You can stack Sneak Attack and Eldritch blast, but only once without Eldritch Glaive. It's nice, but not too wonderful.

Fighter/Druid
Druid, with full BAB and alot of feats. Druids are already strong, this just boosts them a bit.

Hexblade/Rogue
It's really good for fighting casters, but that's about it. The fact it can avoid most spells thrown at him is an advantage, but he's not perfect.

The best build I've seen is Wizard/Warblade. Huge Int synergy, Huge HP, and generally good saves and such.

DownwardSpiral
2007-10-10, 06:44 PM

Marshal/Bard

Warlock/Rogue

Fighter/Druid

Marshal/bard = major aura and bard songs? Good.

Warlock/rogue = sneak attack eldricth blasts. Good. Watch out for undead etc.

Fighter/druid = Druidzilla with extra str, power attack etc? Extreamly good. I think too good, your dm might slap you for suggesting it.

I can't really comment on the last one because I don't know a lot about hexblades.

Dr. Weasel
2007-10-10, 07:00 PM
Fighter/druid = Druidzilla with extra str, power attack etc? Extreamly good. I think too good, your dm might slap you for suggesting it.

Actually, I think this is the least gain of any of them. THe others have some synergy, this is just a Druid with a slight Base Attack boost. A Druid//Psychic Warrior would have about the same number of feats and would have more nifty abilities to boot. Druid//Swordsage would also be neat.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-10, 07:01 PM
Hexblade gestalts better with Spellthief. Sure, you have a smaller sneak attack pool, but you come out with a d10 HD, full BAB, ability to steal spells, double Charisma halfcasting (fullcasting if you take the Master Spellthief feat), Cha to saves, spellgrace, Mettle, and a lot of debuffing potential--particularly with the PHB-II Dark Companion alt class feature for the Hexblade.

Focus on UMD and skyrocket your Cha. You'll be a savemonkey like never before seen.

Guy_Whozevl
2007-10-10, 07:02 PM
Wizard/Archivist = Game Over

Fax Celestis
2007-10-10, 07:03 PM
Actually, I think this is the least gain of any of them. THe others have some synergy, this is just a Druid with a slight Base Attack boost. A Druid//Psychic Warrior would have about the same number of feats and would have more nifty abilities to boot. Druid//Swordsage would also be neat.

Druid//Monk has a lot of merit. All good saves, (Improved) Evasion, Wis to AC, Wis 9th casting, Flurry (and usable since you can Wildshape into something with Pounce), speed boost, and a host of unarmed strikes usable in any form.

On a similar token, Swordsage//Monk is decent, and Psychic Warrior//Monk is incredible.

Reel On, Love
2007-10-10, 07:18 PM
I wish to learn more about making good gestalt characters but have little experience in making them so I thought I might make a thread for myself and others like me who would like to know.

Marshal/Bard
No. Neither of these is a particularily great class on their own, and they don't cover each others' weaknesses or anything. Marshal is also mostly a dip class. Marshal 2/Bard gestalted with Sorceror, for example, is more potent.

Warlock/Rogue
No, no, no. Rogue has sneak attack. You'll want to sneak attack with your Eldritch Blast. You'll have a hard time doing so (invisibility goes away once you fire), and you're getting one attack a round with the blast anyway. Against sneak-attack-immune things, you're just a Warlock, in combat.

Fighter/DruidIt's okay. You get a druid with a bunch of potent combat feats. Taking Fighter to 20 here is as bad an idea as always, of course. Druid does the heavy lifting.

It's okay, I guess? Hexblade doesn't really add the combat punch the rogue really needs, but the higher HP and debuffs (i.e. Dark Companion) make the rogue more viable in melee, and your Reflex and Will saves are good, with CHA to all saves vs. spells, Mettle, etc. Hexblade isn't a good class to take straight through, though.

Edit: Meh, Psychic Warrior//Monk. PsyWar//Swordsage is vastly better. Monk just makes the Psychic Warrior want to be unarmored.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-10, 07:23 PM
Edit: Meh, Psychic Warrior//Monk. PsyWar//Swordsage is vastly better. Monk just makes the Psychic Warrior want to be unarmored.

The benefits I can think of from gestalting the two boil down to one thing: PsyWar allows the Monk to do things he usually otherwise couldn't, such as move and full-attack with hustle or grapple decently with expansion, as well as having strong Wis synergy. Of course, a gestalted PsyWar//Monk looks pretty much like a Monk/Fist of Zuoken, just earlier.

Ramza00
2007-10-10, 07:30 PM
what books do you have access to? What level of play?

Druid 20//
Barbarian 1/Fighter 2/Totemist 2/Black Blood Cultist 10/Warshaper 5

Is great. Take Frozen Wildshape (for cyro hydra form). Bind Worg Pelt to your Hands (need to use a feat, can take as soon as 6th lvl, allows a free improved trip attack with a bite attack). 12 attacks that do a trip attempt each time. After the enemy is prone, start a grapple attempt, if you succeed on your grapple you attack again with all your natural weapons due to Black Blood Cultist lvl 8.

Also you rage as a Barbarian of 11th lvl.

12 headed hydra base damage is 2d8, Improved Natural Attack 3d8, Totemist 4d8, Totem Avatar Shoulders (requires another feat, can take as soon as 12th lvl) 6d8 per attack.

jjpickar
2007-10-10, 07:40 PM
Ramza00 reminded me of another question, how do prestige classes work with gestalt? By the way, couldn't you just be a wizard and polymorph into a cryohydra and cast tensor's transformation?

martyboy74
2007-10-10, 07:43 PM
You're only allowed to PrC one on one side of the buld at a time.

And, yes, a wizard could polymorph into a cryohydra and cast Tranformation, but they could do that in a normal game. And why would would you do that anyways? Giving up full spellcasting is never a good idea.

Yeygresh
2007-10-10, 07:43 PM
I've always wondered, Bard/Barbarian. Bardarian, as the books says.

Jannex
2007-10-10, 07:54 PM
I've always wondered, Bard/Barbarian. Bardarian, as the books says.

Hm. All good saves, full BAB, d12 hit die, decent skills (though Int probably isn't a priority for the Bardbarian), useful support casting (Haste? Yes, thanks!), and bard songs that last for several rounds after you start singing (in other words, after you fly into a Rage and start tearing things apart).

Sounds pretty reasonable.

TO_Incognito
2007-10-10, 08:00 PM
I like Bard/Crusader.

If your DM requires the PHII Druid variant, Barbarian/Druid is excellent.

Any two Int based spellcasters gestal extremely well together.
Beguiler/Wizard is fun.

Anything with Warhulk on one side and a full BaB class on the other.

MaxMahem
2007-10-10, 08:08 PM
I like Barbarian/Scout

Some overlap in class abilities, But Skirmish+Rage+Charge is always good. Plus two good saves, full BAB, skill points, trapfinding, a very high fort save, a few bonus feats, and a d12 HD. What's not to like?

BardicDuelist
2007-10-10, 08:15 PM
I like Factotum//Wizard, Factotum//Warblade, Warblade//Wizard. They all are quite SAD (I mean, you only really need decent physical stats, but a high Int is amazing). Beguiler//Factotum or Beguiler//Warblade is good as well.
Beguiler//Wizard is pretty cheezy.

JackMage666
2007-10-10, 08:23 PM
Wizard/Archistist 10, Mystic Theurge/Warblade 10

I know, it advises not using things like Mystic Theurge in Gestalt, but I figured if we're goin' Cheesy........

Dr. Weasel
2007-10-10, 08:24 PM
In most cases, ToB is a beautiful thing.

Also, like Fax Said, Gestalt is the chance the Monk has to really shine. It covers all the main considerations for a character (Saves are perfect, Skills/HP/and BA are all tolerable) and gives Wisdom-types some nifty passive abilities on top.

One thing to look for is a method to utilize both sides of the build. The Barbarian//Bard, for instance, usually won't have time to use both classes' skills. If you can get Song of the White Raven, Quicken Spell and Arcane Strike into the mix though, you have actions from both sides of the gestalt chipping in.

Any two Int based spellcasters gestal extremely well together.
Beguiler/Wizard is fun.
If you do this, you have to keep an eye on your HP and Saves. Try to use the Duskblade as a base for a Psion/Wizard/Beguiler, it fills most of the problems Arcane casters usually have (HP/Fort Saves) and lets you channel spells.

TO_Incognito
2007-10-10, 08:29 PM
If you do this, you have to keep an eye on your HP and Saves. Try to use the Duskblade as a base for a Psion/Wizard/Beguiler, it fills most of the problems Arcane casters usually have (HP/Fort Saves) and lets you channel spells.

It does help; with just Wizard, Beguiler, and/or Archivist, you have to do something with your spells on one side to make sure you don't get one-shotted )=.

Arbitrarity
2007-10-10, 08:42 PM
I like Factotum//Wizard, Factotum//Warblade, Warblade//Wizard. They all are quite SAD (I mean, you only really need decent physical stats, but a high Int is amazing). Beguiler//Factotum or Beguiler//Warblade is good as well.
Beguiler//Wizard is pretty cheezy.

Factotum wizard? Eeevil...

Cunning surge + wizard casting, really high INT, so how many fonts of inspiration?

Owww :smallfrown:

Turcano
2007-10-10, 09:42 PM
Wizard/Archistist 10, Mystic Theurge/Warblade 10

I know, it advises not using things like Mystic Theurge in Gestalt, but I figured if we're goin' Cheesy........

Anyone who lets dual-progression prestige classes will let you apply only one progression, which makes mystic theurge absolutely worthless. The only reason you would want to take one in gestalt is for the class features, which mystic theurge doesn't have.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-10, 09:46 PM
Well, one could try:

Wizard 3/Shadowcaster 3/Noctumancer 10/Mystic Theurge 4//Wu Jen 3/Sorceror 4/Ultimate Magus 10/Anythingyoudamnwellfeellike 3.

I cast everything.

Dhavaer
2007-10-10, 10:19 PM
Swordsage//Fighter? If you're human, you can have Shadow Blade, Weapon Finesse and Adaptive Style from the start.

Hzurr
2007-10-10, 10:26 PM
Rogue + Anything is always a good choice. The skill points/selection is amazing, sneak attack is always useful, plus things like evasion and uncanny dodge are always helpful.

Adding Rogue may not always be the most optimal build, but it's never a bad choice.

Human Paragon 3
2007-10-10, 10:41 PM
Psion/Wilder is actually sweet from my experience. SO many power points and the wild surge really helps the psion cut loose with his powers. Wilder also fixes a few of the psion's weaknesses such as poor saves, BAB and HP by giving all of them a little boost.

Jack Mann
2007-10-11, 12:03 AM
Illumian, of course, makes everything better in gestalt. For example, I made an illumian duskblade//archivist. It allowed me to lower my MAD by using strength for bonus spells instead of wisdom, and intelligence was useful for both classes.

Duke of URL
2007-10-11, 09:16 AM
Ranger makes an interesting pairing with arcane caster classes -- high BAB, good skills, class features that work best in light or no armor, and high Fort and Reflex saves to complement the arcane caster's high Will save.

Indon
2007-10-11, 09:31 AM
My personal pet 'I wish I could try this one day' gestalt build is:

Scout 3/Rogue X // Monk 1-3/Ninja X, with the feats that allow for Scout/Rogue Skirmish and Monk/Ninja unarmed strike stacking. Essentially a Rogue with a ridiculous opening shot.

It honestly isn't exploiting the power of Gestalt, which is versatility, but still... so many D6's...

sikyon
2007-10-11, 09:46 AM
I was thinking wizard/druid, or wizard/monk.

Wizard/druid because natural spell let's you cast wizard spells in wildshape (crazy, I know).

Wizard/monk because wizard has the highest damage output, and monk has the best survivability so...

Mr. Friendly
2007-10-11, 10:03 AM
For the Hexblade/Rogue vote, I would think you might be better off with a Hexblade/Ninja. They just look like they would mesh together better.

If you want straight up power that is mostly SAD, how about a Favored Soul/Sorcerer? d8 HD, 3/4 BAB, CHA based spells, all good saves, pick and choose the best of cleric and wizard spells.

Everyone whines about CoDzilla, why not make CaDzilla? Fortunately Natural Spell works for any and all spells, so you are good to go with this one. Surem you aren't getting a whole lot out of this combo, but you are getting a ridiculous amount of Divine Spells and you can DMM and Wild Shape to your heart's content.

Another combo on that note would be Favored Soul and Paladin. Both are heavy CHA users and getting free focus and specialization makes the stabbiest of paladins happy.

Same idea, but Favored Soul/Cleric. Why you ask? No real reason than heaping a little disgusting on top of sickening. Assuming your Cleric side is going for a DMM extra turning sort, Charisma gives you more uses per day, so no harm there.

Running with the DMM idea, Cleric/Paladin could be great at that depending on whether you would be allowed to double dip on turn attempts.

Soulknife I think has vast potential to be a godless killing machine in a Gestalt game. Even with Soulknife/Fighter you have d10 HD, all good saves, an insane amount of feats, good bab and 4 SP/level. Soulknife/ranger could work equally well with it's combat style feats. (does quick math, fighter/soulknife, including the bonus feats for soulknife has a total of 22 feats)

Valairn
2007-10-11, 10:25 AM
One of my personal favorites Wizard//Sneak Attack Fighter going into Arcane Trickster while also sneaking in some abjurant champion is a pretty fun build. Especially if you pick up smiting spell and arcane strike. Makes for some pretty interesting damage rolls.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-11, 10:29 AM
I was thinking wizard/druid, or wizard/monk.

Wizard/druid because natural spell let's you cast wizard spells in wildshape (crazy, I know).

Wizard/monk because wizard has the highest damage output, and monk has the best survivability so...

These are bad ideas. Wizard needs Int, Druid needs Wis/Con, Monk needs Wis/Dex/Con/Str.

You want to reduce dependency, not increase it.

RTGoodman
2007-10-11, 10:40 AM
It's okay. You get a druid with a bunch of potent combat feats. Taking Fighter to 20 here is as bad an idea as always, of course. Druid does the heavy lifting.

But, a Druid 20//Fighter X give you, with all those extra feats, early access as a Druid, to Power Attack, Leap Attack, Shock Trooper, etc.

The biggest problem I see with this build is that the rules might be a little unclear. A creature with one natural attack adds 1.5x Str to damage.

Damage

Damage changes with Strength. If the creature uses a two-handed weapon or has a single natural weapon, it adds 1½ times its Strength bonus to the damage. If it has more than a single attack then it adds its Strength bonus to damage rolls for the primary attack and ½ its Strength bonus to all secondary attacks.

So if your DM says that this counts as wielding a two-handed weapon for the purpose of Leap Attack and other such feats (which, as far as I can tell, say "If you use this tactic with a two-handed weapon" you deal the extra damage), this could be pretty good. Just find a creature with a really good Str and a single natural weapon (elementals, maybe?), and then go to town with the standard Power Attack/Leap Attack/Shock Trooper combo.

Oh, or just go with a Triceratops - it has a powerful charge gore attack that does 4d8+20, and can easily make a DC 10 Jump check (in fact, with a 30 Str, that's an auto-succeed, right?), so just use PA/LA/ST to up that 4d8+20 to something like 4d8+79*, before any other cheese.

*Not sure if my math's correct, since I've never built one of these leaping/shock-troopering characters - 15 damage (1.5 x 10) + 64 extra damage from PA/LA (subtract 16, get a 4-to-1 return using PA/LA) = 79, right?

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-11, 10:58 AM
Well, since we're going gestalt, THE class you'll wanna take is Factotum. I think everyone agrees that, as the ultimate jack of all trades, evnetual master of all, you will compensate for mostly anything your other class can't do. You could, for example, take Cleric, get Divine Power, forcecage the toughest opponent, and ravage the opposition, all by yourself. Of course, this is but a simple and foolish combo. Truly useful combos could be a Factotum/Swordsage combo (obvious, really. Even if it's just for Step of the dancing Moth, this makes you exponentially potent. And once you get Cunning surge, nab a belt of battle, and spam sword magics till the enemies drop), Factotum/wizard ('nuff said), and generally everything except healer, monk, and CW samurai. With factotum in the mix, if there's something out there, you can do it.

Mr. Friendly
2007-10-11, 11:19 AM
But, a Druid 20//Fighter X give you, with all those extra feats, early access as a Druid, to Power Attack, Leap Attack, Shock Trooper, etc.

The biggest problem I see with this build is that the rules might be a little unclear. A creature with one natural attack adds 1.5x Str to damage.

So if your DM says that this counts as wielding a two-handed weapon for the purpose of Leap Attack and other such feats (which, as far as I can tell, say "If you use this tactic with a two-handed weapon" you deal the extra damage), this could be pretty good. Just find a creature with a really good Str and a single natural weapon (elementals, maybe?), and then go to town with the standard Power Attack/Leap Attack/Shock Trooper combo.

Oh, or just go with a Triceratops - it has a powerful charge gore attack that does 4d8+20, and can easily make a DC 10 Jump check (in fact, with a 30 Str, that's an auto-succeed, right?), so just use PA/LA/ST to up that 4d8+20 to something like 4d8+79*, before any other cheese.

*Not sure if my math's correct, since I've never built one of these leaping/shock-troopering characters - 15 damage (1.5 x 10) + 64 extra damage from PA/LA (subtract 16, get a 4-to-1 return using PA/LA) = 79, right?

I don't think your math is correct. Also, you could take Improved Natural Attack to bump the dice up to 6d8. Aside from that... we will assume no STR buffs or whatever, just straight RAW STR of Tricera.

STR 30 (+10 Mod) "two handed weapon" x 1.5 = 15

PA for 20 (since fighter BAB, assuming 20th level), with ST this is -20 AC.

Now the modifiers start....

PA on a 2-hand weapon is x2, so we are at +55 from PA+2hand+STR alone.
Leap Attack is also a 2 - 1 increase in PA, so that adds another 20, bringing it up to +75

So you are looking at +75 to damage before the dice even hit the table.

Leap Attack specifies in it's description that combining LA with a 2 hand weapon doesn't double twice, it just triples it.

I believe this cheese could add the Powerful Charge feat from MM4, adding more damage.

sikyon
2007-10-11, 11:53 AM
These are bad ideas. Wizard needs Int, Druid needs Wis/Con, Monk needs Wis/Dex/Con/Str.

Wiz/Druid only needs Int/Wis, because you can wild shape into something with a high Con score. Same reason you don't need Str as a Druid.

Wiz/Monk only needs Int/Con. Str is not required because you're taking monk for survivability, not damage output. You're looking for the monk class abilities most of all. Ie. High saves all around, Evasion, immunity to poison, high speed/free dimension door, and the ever important spell resistance. AC bouses from wiz/dex are just gravy, because wizards don't wear armor. Oh, it won't really help either because wizards avoid death through contingencies. Also abit of DR and outsider type (though these really arn't as useful as high speed and spell resistance and high saves).

You obviously havn't thought this out very much.

TO_Incognito
2007-10-11, 02:25 PM

Wiz/Monk only needs Int/Con. Str is not required because you're taking monk for survivability, not damage output. You're looking for the monk class abilities most of all. Ie. High saves all around, Evasion, immunity to poison, high speed/free dimension door, and the ever important spell resistance. AC bouses from wiz/dex are just gravy, because wizards don't wear armor. Oh, it won't really help either because wizards avoid death through contingencies. Also abit of DR and outsider type (though these really arn't as useful as high speed and spell resistance and high saves).

I still wouldn't want one side of my gestalt to contribute virtually nothing but survivability. I think you could actually swing using some of the monk's offensive ability too with Kung Foo Genius from Dragon Compendium (Dragon #319). Makes the Monk Int based.

Arbitrarity
2007-10-11, 02:46 PM
According to errata, druid needs con, because it maintains the same HP in wildshape as normal form.

OX166
2007-10-11, 02:57 PM
I like mr. friendly's idea. A CaD with say......DMM persist...I mean its obviously a high powered game to begin with so....and also stone plate armor may be a good investment in that situation...coupled with say....some nightsticks if we're going all out. Yup I'm sold...I'm rolling one when I get home.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-11, 03:40 PM
Wiz/Druid only needs Int/Wis, because you can wild shape into something with a high Con score. Same reason you don't need Str as a Druid.

You obviously havn't thought this out very much.

Actually, I have thought about it. To address each of your points in turn:

Wild Shape, as stated by the FAQ, Errata, and the Sage, changing shape does not increase your HP, despite having a larger (or smaller) Con mod.

As far as monk class features go, Evasion is easily acquired from sources that have better synergy--such as Rogue--and not really all that powerful anyway. "All good saves" is also not as incredible in gestalt as it is normally: it's easy to acquire. And everything else that the monk has is replicable by spells: mage armor, spell turning, dimension door, footsteps of the divine.

sikyon
2007-10-11, 03:42 PM
According to errata, druid needs con, because it maintains the same HP in wildshape as normal form.

Ah well, you shouldn't really be getting hit too much with wizard. I was thinking con more for concentration checks.

I still wouldn't want one side of my gestalt to contribute virtually nothing but survivability. I think you could actually swing using some of the monk's offensive ability too with Kung Foo Genius from Dragon Compendium (Dragon #319). Makes the Monk Int based.

Well, it occurs to me really that a non-caster class can't effectively contribute to damage output, so I picked survivability. Ie. Wizard's casting abilites are all active, and monk's abilities are all passive. If you have too many active abilities (say wizard/sorceror) then you won't have enough time to use them all, n'est pas?

Though I've never played gestalt, and might be mistaken.

Partysan
2007-10-11, 05:28 PM
I'd actually like to try a Beguiler//Warmage some time.

A Warblade//Fighter or Warblade//PsychicWarrior would also be interesting to play, but as far as I know any gestalt char without full casting is somehow meh..

tarbrush
2007-10-11, 05:53 PM
One I'm enjoying at the moment is Druid/Ninja. Just cause being jumped by an invisible sneak attacking bear is hilarious.

The best bit is, you can take 5 levels of your scouty type class and then go Master of Many Forms and Warshaper on one side, and full druid on the other. It's nuts.

RMS Oceanic
2007-10-11, 06:24 PM
I'd like to try Paladin/Cleric with the Serenity Feat (Wis to Lay On Hands, Smite, Turn Undead and Divine Grace instead of Charisma). You get full attack, d10 HD, amazing saves, tons of spellcasting and healing (especially if you choose the healing pool option from Complete Champion), and more than enough TU's to power Divine Metamagic and still deal with that zombie hoard.

I like the idea of Warblade/Psychic Warrior, although it has slight MAD problems with Int/Wis requirements. The Psychic Warrior feats could help you pick up the Weapon Specialization thread, if you wanted. IMO, the greatest problem with the Warblade is that it tries to lure you into Weapon Specialization and so forth, but doesn't give you the feats to spare it.

If you're looking for Gestalt combos that are only slightly more powerful, try Paladin/Knight. They have great Charisma synergy, and similarly defined roles, so they're logical to play.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-11, 07:17 PM
Knight//Scout, using the Riposte variant for Skirmish, is actually very potent. "You, attack me. Oh, and I get extra AC and dice of damage when you attack me."

BardicDuelist
2007-10-11, 07:27 PM
Knight//Scout, using the Riposte variant for Skirmish, is actually very potent. "You, attack me. Oh, and I get extra AC and dice of damage when you attack me."

I guess I don't attack you...

Actually that is a really good idea (although the reliance on heavy armor for the knight might be difficult...)

Reel On, Love
2007-10-11, 07:32 PM
I'd actually like to try a Beguiler//Warmage some time.

A Warblade//Fighter or Warblade//PsychicWarrior would also be interesting to play, but as far as I know any gestalt char without full casting is somehow meh..

Between its feats, having psionic focus, and its various powers (at higher levels, Freedom of Movement, Personal Mind Blank, Form of Doom, and the like are tasty), Warblade//PsyWar is actually tremendously potent, and can use swift-action powers and Linked Power to buff with swift actions. Warblade//Psion has INT synergy, and can manifest Schism to manifest while it fights, but gives up its combat feats for manifesting.

Draz74
2007-10-12, 11:41 AM
My latest favorite idea is Factotum//Archivist. The flavor kind of goes together in the sense of, "I am an all-around expert at dungeon delving, so that I can find the dark forgotten secrets and lore in these dungeons."

Full divine caster, plus a lot of skills and special abilities. Oh, and Intelligence synergy. How does this combo sound?

Tor the Fallen
2007-10-12, 11:54 AM
Anyone mention cleric/druid yet?

Indon
2007-10-12, 12:09 PM
As far as monk class features go, Evasion is easily acquired from sources that have better synergy--such as Rogue--and not really all that powerful anyway. "All good saves" is also not as incredible in gestalt as it is normally: it's easy to acquire. And everything else that the monk has is replicable by spells: mage armor, spell turning, dimension door, footsteps of the divine.

There's the unarmed damage potential, but if you're going to wade into combat polymorphed, you're probably better off going Monk/Druid anyway.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-12, 12:13 PM
There's the unarmed damage potential, but if you're going to wade into combat polymorphed, you're probably better off going Monk/Druid anyway.

Exactly. And you get Wis-synergy off that too.

worstnerdever
2010-03-08, 11:20 AM
I'm joining a Gestalt game soon, and thinking of running a halfling Swordsage20//PsychicWarrior5/Elocator10/PsychicWarrior5 wielding a spiked chain. My first character ever was an Elocator (though at the time I was too new to really know how to squeeze a lot of power out of him), and I've never played a Swordsage. Does anyone have suggestions for powers/maneuvers/stances that are particularly synergistic?

Indon
2010-03-08, 11:25 AM
Considering the age of this thread, it looks like you'd do well with True Necromancer//Dread Necromancer.

After a thread is a certain age, you're better off making a new thread on the topic.

worstnerdever
2010-03-08, 11:43 AM
Considering the age of this thread, it looks like you'd do well with True Necromancer//Dread Necromancer.

After a thread is a certain age, you're better off making a new thread on the topic.

Oh wow, I didn't even look at the date of the last post; I landed here via Google. Plus, it was about time I joined the forum, anyway.

Soonerdj
2010-03-08, 11:44 AM
Well I am partial to:

Binder / Cleric (Cloistered if it is allowed) - Wis + Cha as main stats and if you pick your domains and vestiges and spells you can pretty much do whatever you want everyday. Gets even more powerful if you can persist a Righteous Might to max your BaB.

Druid / Totemist: I think this one works, but I'm not sure if you can use soulmelds while wild shaped. Still pretty powerful.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2010-03-08, 12:04 PM
Warblade // Soulknife works very well. Soulknife is a run-and-smack skirmisher; taking a single standard action to attack. Strikes are standard actions. Plus, having all of the best melee abilities (Mindblade, d12 hd, all good saves, tons of skills, etc) can make for an interesting character. Raptor School / Leap Attack is a very interesting feat choice for this character.

Fighter 2 / Swordsage 2 / Swasbuckler 3 / Dervish 10 Tempest (x) // Scout 20 ... speed, attacks, and an insane amount of damage: STR, DEX, INT, and Skirmish to damage. WIS bonus to AC in light armor. damage boosts. You would just need to be moving really fast and have stuff that allows you to crit the uncrittable critters (so one can allow skirmish damage). heh. :smallbiggrin:

If you can weasel the Drow Ripper Chains (Quintessential Drow, basically a slashing spiked chain) to be a "variant" or character RP item... 10' dervish dance... <drool>

[EDIT] : Or even: Ranger 2/Scout 18 with Swift Hunter can overcome the uncrittables...