PDA

View Full Version : Need help homebrewing a bard archetype

Barebarian
2019-08-01, 05:36 AM
So I'm supposed to play a character tomorrow who has 1 level of rogue, 1 of monk and 3 of bard, and is a human girl of about 18 years. She's from a culture that is based on China crossed with Japan and Rome, and (thanks to the awesome Tawmis! :smallwink: ) has a wonderful backstory written up!

=====================
My mother enjoyed the life of being a concubine to Meiyo, an elegant and kind lord, with one wife whom he loved, and six concubines to satisfy his other urges. He was a retired and honorable warrior known throughout the land for his acts of kindness.

My mother enjoyed her life, because Meiyo took care of her, and his other concubines, and because he had several, each of them had the freedom to do what they had wanted, while others tended to Meiyo. This allowed my mother free time to spend with me. One of my favorite things my mother enjoyed was singing. Whenever she wasn’t tending to Meiyo, she would sit with me and teach me how to sing. Most of her songs were stories of warriors in the land – warriors like Meiyo – who were so great that people had made songs to honor them.

Because I was the daughter of a concubine, my mother told me a man of honor will never marry me. But life as a concubine could be a wonderful life, such as the one she had, if I found someone who treated me right. By the age of sixteen, my mother began training me on the ways of being a lady, so that by the age of eighteen I could find a suitor who might accept me as their own concubine.

One night, I had caught my mother, singing and dancing, but also incorporating a sword into her dance. I watched for several minutes, before clearing my throat to let my mother know I was there. She quickly stopped and dropped the sword.

“I’ve never seen you do that before,” I said, leaning against the wall. “It was beautiful how you incorporated your song, with the dance, and used the blade to accent the intensity. Where did you learn to do that?”

“That,” my mother, Utsukushi-sa flushed, “was from a life long, long ago,” she assured me.

“I’ve known Meiyo for eighteen years of my life, but none of his other concubines have children,” I stated, something I had always wondered. “Why is it that you do?”

“Meiyo is not your father,” she whispered. “Meiyo is unable to give children.”

I had suspected that Meiyo was not my father for the last six years. He and I bore no similarities from the color of our hair, down to the color of our eyes, even our mannerisms. I had wondered who my father truly was, but my mother never spoke of him, so I never pushed it.

“This other life,” I finally said, after an awkward moment of silence. “Was it with my father?”

My mother’s face turned pale as she cleared her throat. “He may have been the one who placed the seed for you to grow, but he was never your father.”

My mother placed the sword on the mount over the fireplace.

Several months later, Meiyo introduced me to a friend of his named Senshi. When meeting him, I was dressed as beautifully as I could be – and with Meiyo’s kind funding, I was the most glamorous I had ever been.

Senshi was an older gentleman, a few years older than Meiyo. They’d been warriors that had fought in the Silverstorm War, and Senshi had reconnected with Meiyo. Meiyo had spoken wonderfully about my mother and explained that she had a blooming daughter, of age, that was looking to find someone to take care of her.

When Senshi met me, I saw his eyes were surprised, and his breath escaped him. “She is,” he whispered, “far more beautiful than I had imagined.”

I flushed red, I could feel my cheeks and ears burning.

I accepted a partnership with Senshi and gladly became his concubine. Senshi, though older, had treated me wonderfully. I was the youngest among his concubines, and they never treated me with jealousy. They took me in as one of their own. Some of them taught me such things as finding my center in spirituality which enhanced being in touch with not only my own body, but when I was with Senshi as well. Most of his concubines were much older, and beyond the age of baring children. I had hoped that I would be fortunate enough to know what it was like to have a child and bring it into the world.

That day sadly never came. One day my mother came rushing into Senshi’s home, covered in blood, screaming for me. When I saw her I was horrified, but thankful that most of the blood had not been hers. Her weeping told me that it was probably Meiyo’s, but she was too frantic to speak clearly. She only repeated, “You must run. You must leave. Hide. Never come back! Do not let him find you!”

There were sounds coming from behind her – and then I saw a man, adorned in Samurai armor, with a Red Phoenix symbol adorned on his chest. My mother looked at him, then over to me, and whispered, “Forgive me.” And with one violent shove, pushed me out the window where I fell two stories into the bushes. My mother looked out the window and screamed, “Run!” And then I saw a sword go through her chest, the blade, glistening crimson under the moonlight.

I ran as far and fast as I could. I lived off the land for weeks until I found the town of Seiiki, where I was forced to live off the streets. I stole only what I had to in order to survive. Life, though dirty and something I was unaccustomed to, I learned to adapt. Several Monks even took mercy upon me and brought me into their establishment, so I did not have to live on the streets through the night. But it wasn’t long until the Red Phoenix order showed up in Seiiki. I quickly escaped and stowed away on a ship set for a new continent…

In this new city called, I adopted the new name Autumn Lily and wondered what the world had to offer me here in this new place…

Lily is a kind, sweet, simple girl who just wants to get back to her hubby and have some kids!* She doesn't want to be a fighter! She learnt her monk skills from her friends in Senshi's harem to improve her flexibility and bed skills!** She's a dancer and a singer and a romantic and I still haven't picked a bard archetype for her yet. So far I'm planning on giving her Performance and Acrobatics Expertise, and having her fight with a Jian and shortbow (eventually, at first she's just gonna use her body. She doesn't want to kill anyone yet! But the order of the red pheonix are likely gonna force the issue on her D:).
I'd like her bard archetype to somehow reflect the sword-dancing her mother was doing while also carrying elements of her sweetness, though I understand TOTALLY if that's too much to ask. Also I think she'll take another two levels of monk, in which case I'd like to design an archetype based around her flexibility and beauty.
Also, my dm is one of those kind souls who lets us have a feat each, Lily used hers to be able to use her Charisma instead of her Wisdom for unarmed defense, but now I'm thinking maybe her monk or bard archetype should do that and she should take something else?
Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

*Lots of kids. So many kids. ALL THE KIDS.
**Senshi has a LOT of Con, all his ladies have at LEAST 1 level of monk.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-08-01, 06:20 AM
The College of Swords seems like it would fit-- that's a fairly graceful fighting archetype.

Barebarian
2019-08-01, 06:51 AM
I dunno, Swords has always felt kinda meh to me, though flourishes and extra attack WOULD be nice...

Tawmis
2019-08-01, 07:57 AM
Hey! That's a great story! :smallyuk:

Also - your PM box has been full for awhile so I can't send you any messages! :smalltongue:

Breccia
2019-08-01, 09:52 AM
Wow. That's a lot of multiclassing.

Okay, so based on that story, I assume you expect to fight the Red Phoenix guy again. Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I don't see someone in that context being satisfied with standing in the back row, flinging spells, arrows, and/or insults while her party members do all the melee fighting. (Maybe she's practical enough to do that, "I don't care who kills him as long as he dies and I help" but that's not how a lot of these stories go, and Elan would be disappointed) So I assume you want to be in melee with help, rather than one-on-one (because bard, and also, because rogue).

Which means you need to live when facing an objectively superior martial combatant. This is not something a bard does easily.

Defensively, you have three options:
A) forgo armor, pump your Charisma, and use the one level of monk's unarmed defense. If you go that route, you'll want a Dex and Cha of 16 as quickly. Sadly, you're already forced to take Wis 13 to multiclass monk at all, so, this isn't going to be great for your remaining stats.
B) use light armor and focus Dex
C) go College of Valor and use medium armor.

A means you'd have an AC of 16, 17 in the forseeable future with statups.

B doesn't sound like a winner to me. You'd need a Dex of 18 to keep up, and with decent Wis and even higher Cha scores mandated, that's asking a lot.

With C you can hit AC 16 easy with a breastplate and not suffer Stealth Disadvantage (if you're doing Stealth at all). If you're forgoing Stealth, half-plate and shield brings you to 19, and you wouldn't need the higher Dex as much to survive (but you're probably using finesse weapons, so a 16 wouldn't hurt). You could also forgo a higher Wis and put more into Cha, a bard's best stat anyhow, to keep your spellcasting up to par. That's why it's my suggestion out of the three.

Taking College of Valor also lets you add some hefty combat ability to your allies (you need one to get the benefit of Sneak Attack anyhow). In addition, if you reach 8th level (and I assume you go 1/1/6 for that) you get two attacks per round...or three, if you keep using a short sword, because you can use your Bonus Action to kick. Since Bardic Inspiration is also a Bonus Action, you might not want to do that, and instead pick a better weapon. This one, perhaps (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Katana_(5e_Equipment))? Alternatively, three attacks per round gives you the best chance of landing that Sneak Attack damage, but two attacks/round should still give you plenty. Either way will work. Do you see your character as more of a swordfighter, or does she go Blade Fu?

At 4th level, taking two +1's to move a pair of 15's to 16's is going to be very appetizing. But there are some decent Feat options.
Defensive Duelist, for which you have all the requirements, can give your already 19 AC character a 22, which is formidable, for one attack. This feat seems the most cinematic to me, as parries in a swordfight are always fun.
You could go Duel Wielder, making your 19 AC a 20 and effectively replacing your weaker 1d4 kick with a 1d8 blade. This probably fits "blade dancer" the best.
You could go Medium Armor Master, letting your assumed 16 Dex bring your AC up to 20 (I sense a theme) while also removing the Stealth penalty in half-plate.
And, since you're going to be in melee using weapons, War Caster is a solid choice.

You're also going to want some spells. Bestow curse and fear are both really good options: they will neuter a fighter, and more importantly, use a Wis saving throw, which traditionally, fighters suck at. They do both require Concentration, but the high AC should help, and so would War Caster. Now, those are both third level spells, so you're not there yet. Hold person and blindness will have a similar effect. Depending on what type of enemy Red Phoenix is, silence could stop him from giving orders, and also help if you're a Stealth-urai. Bane (Cha save, therefore, not as good a choice) will help your AC even more. Problem is, it requires Concentration, and the point of a high AC is to help you avoid making those rolls, so it's not ideal. And, of course, cure wounds never ever goes out of style.

Like every other adventurer, you'll want +1 armor, weapons, and a shield the second they're available. But for my money, hope for a fochlucian bandore, which will let you case faerie fire. It's a Dex save (possibly the WORST save for a fighter), and let you and your allies have Advantage to attack what I assume is a high-AC target.

All of the above is based on my assumption that Autumn Lily don't just want to be there when Red Phoenix dies. She wants to be standing over the body, sword in hand.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-08-01, 10:13 AM
I dunno, Swords has always felt kinda meh to me, though flourishes and extra attack WOULD be nice...
It's not, like, Lore Bard quality or anything, but it's not bad. It would actually pair pretty nicely with the Monk-- you can effectively get both Dueling Style (with a shortsword) and TWF (via your Martial Arts bonus action attack), and with Cha-based Monk stuff your AC will be higher. It is a bit of a selfish archetype, since you wind up using your Inspiration on yourself, but it's not bad and does seem pretty fitting.

Looking a bit farther afield... how 'bout the old College of Satire UA? It gives you thief's tools, rogue skills, and an at-will ability called "Tumbling Fool"-- you take a bonus action to simultaneously Disengage, Dash, gain a climb speed, and take half fall damage for the turn. Which sounds... pretty perfect for you, to be honest, and might even let you drop the Rogue level. At higher levels they get a couple Detect Thoughts uses (that makes the target embarrass themself if they make the save), and a wonky luck ability where you can spend Bardic Inspiration after failing, but take the same value as a penalty somewhere else.

And even farther afield... in my Guide to Greatness I have the College of the Virtuoso, which might be of some slight interest? It's not a martial subclass, but it's all about turbocharging your inspiration dice, which seems like it might fit.