PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Setting Geography

SpikeFightwicky
2019-08-01, 06:35 AM
Howdy folks,

I see in just about every published adventure, they have a list of campaign settings, and where in that world the adventure would take place (seems like the default is Forgotten Realms, and they've listed Eberron, Krynn, Greyhawk regularly). In the DMG (I think?), they also mention Mystara (OMG please! More Mystara content!). Did they release any campaign setting books for these? I heard there's a "beta" Eberron right now, but I can't find any books that provides an overview of the campaign settings (Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide being the closest, but also detailing just a section of the Realms). Does WotC assume I just know the full history and geography of these other classic settings, or is there a series of campaign setting books that I missed?

hymer
2019-08-01, 07:28 AM
As you say, SCAG is probably the closest we get to what you're asking for. But it's not like an awful lot of this stuff isn't easily available online. There's a Forgotten Realms (https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page) wiki, e.g., with more detail and maps than any one book you could buy. And that probably has a lot to do with why they aren't putting out much in the way of campaign settings.

SpikeFightwicky
2019-08-01, 08:02 AM
Were we just spoiled in 2nd Ed AD&D? :smallbiggrin:

I remember back then, each setting had its own boxed set and I still have the Ravenloft one. I know 3.x and 4th had some campaign setting books, but I don't recall them being to the same level as previous (they contracted out Dragonlance and Ravenloft to Sword & Sorcery in 3.x, IIRC and did nothing for Mystara, Al Qadim or Dark Sun - though 4e had a Dark Sun book. Lots of FR content, though.)

I've never seen a Greyhawk campaign setting book either (was there one in 2e AD&D?). I'm glad I didn't miss any campaign setting content (thought I was going crazy!), but I'm kind of disappointed that they mention the geography of all these settings, but haven't released much in the way of material.

I actually use the FR wiki :smallsmile: I'm hoping for official new fluff to sink my teeth into.

Anyone know why they haven't? (maybe a tweet?) I assume they'd sell well enough to warrant a release.

hymer
2019-08-01, 10:35 AM
Come to think of it, they've published Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica, which is a setting book. Though not to any of the settings you mention.

I seem to recall another campaign book being rumoured in the offing. I hear Eberron, but I don't know how well informed these rumours are, or how much of that is wishful thinking.

My guess is that the better known campaign settings are not high on Wizards' priority list. Most of the people who play 5e now have access to old campaign books, so even with new fluff they probably won't be selling well. There were a lot of very negative reactions to 4e Forgotten Realms, something to be avoided.

NorthernPhoenix
2019-08-01, 11:54 AM
. There were a lot of very negative reactions to 4e Forgotten Realms, something to be avoided.

They reversed most of this going from 4e-5e. In the current FR, 4e "still happened", but everything is now mostly back to a combo of 2e/3e with a few differences (Tieflings and Dragonborn!)

hymer
2019-08-01, 12:25 PM
They reversed most of this going from 4e-5e. In the current FR, 4e "still happened", but everything is now mostly back to a combo of 2e/3e with a few differences (Tieflings and Dragonborn!)
Yup. This experience probably showed them they shouldn't change things much. Which gives little room or reason for a new publication.

JackPhoenix
2019-08-01, 04:01 PM
Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron is basically paid, more extensive UA at this point. It was supposed to be released as a book sometime in the future, but who knows what's the status now. It doesn't really offer much details, it's more of a primer for new players. That said, unlike certain other setting, Eberron isn't everything turning upside down every time new edition gets released; mechanics aside, all lore from 3.5 books is still valid, and there's been no advance in timeline.

opaopajr
2019-08-01, 05:06 PM
Were we just spoiled in 2nd Ed AD&D? :smallbiggrin:

Yes, we were spoiled in 2nd Ed AD&D. :smallcool:

That said, I do hope for more Magic the Gathering setting conversions. I did like the PlaneShift stuff put out there, but it was rather light for me. I also thought some more guidelines or examples on card conversion would have rocked. (I like shuffling cards and drawing them to seed my adventures. So I thought this was an opportunity for WotC to repurpose extra MtG cards as a D&D GM tool. :smallredface: Oh well.)

SpikeFightwicky
2019-08-02, 06:31 AM
Yes, we were spoiled in 2nd Ed AD&D. :smallcool:

That said, I do hope for more Magic the Gathering setting conversions. I did like the PlaneShift stuff put out there, but it was rather light for me. I also thought some more guidelines or examples on card conversion would have rocked. (I like shuffling cards and drawing them to seed my adventures. So I thought this was an opportunity for WotC to repurpose extra MtG cards as a D&D GM tool. :smallredface: Oh well.)

I would LOVE a Lorwyn/Shadowmoor sourcebook. I never thought of using MtG to flush out an adventure! And yet now I feel as though I have to :smallbiggrin:

I picked up the Ravnica book and I'm very pleased with the content. It has so much stuff! Hopefully it sold well enough for them to consider similar books for additional planes. I wish they'd release Eberron officially. My DMs don't allow UA stuff, so it's out of my reach.

They have 2 boxed starter sets so far (though one's Stranger Things flavored), so maybe they'll release some more boxed sets in the future?

Also, does WotC ever do Q&A stuff? I have so many questions about campaign setting materials.

MrStabby
2019-08-02, 07:19 AM
Hmm. I do like the idea of using magic cards for random encounters. I can see that being fun.

I also like the idea that the PCs could see some content of the deck as they gather more info about the world... and as the PCs provoke antagonists in the world they get to see more cards added to the deck, as they solve problems they may see some removed.

Alternatively a bit of quick and easy player involvement in world building... each player adds cards corresponding to the encounters they would want to see in the world.

Corsair14
2019-08-02, 09:03 AM
Look online and you can find the maps for the major campaign settings pretty easily. Greyhawk has quite a bit of published material out there and the good part is it is mostly fluff so very easy to transfer to 5th. Dragonlance also has quite a bit of lore but unlike Greyhawk, it has a real sense of time passing and major events happening in each time period that affect the next one, from the Cataclysm to successive Wars of the Lance to the War of Souls.
Greyhawk- Generic(and awesome) fantasy world. Predates FR. Gary Gygax's baby.
Dragonlance(Krynn) -War torn, very unique realm, moons affect magic, cool races like Draconians(the original Dragonborn), Knightly Orders, Gods take an active role.
Dark Sun- Apocalyptic world, metal is a luxury item, many races don't exist, everyone has mutated to have psionic powers, you have to keep track of food and especially water, heavy armor will wear you out much faster than in normal worlds, oh and arcane magic sucked life out of the surrounding ground. Difficult to pull off in 5e due to lack of psionics and the oddball races like half giants when 5e doesn't like large PC races.

Most of this material is readily available on DMs guild or just easy google searching.