PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Cleric (Warlock Style)

RATHSQUATCH
2019-08-01, 08:14 AM
Good Morning,

Here is a warlock style cleric. I'm wondering how you all think this holds up to other classes since this cleric doesn't get "invocations" or anything, but instead, gets additional features (due to Domain Features having an extra feature compared to other classes). Anyways, hope you guys enjoy it. There's several additional domains presented as well.

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/By-5qze7H

jjordan
2019-08-01, 09:06 AM
You've put a lot of solid thought into this and I like the rationale. I'm not the best person to comment on game balance so I'm not going to. This is very nice.

Amechra
2019-08-01, 11:37 AM
A few things that stand out to me:

1) The whole "blessings" thing is pretty pointless. Why do you need a fancy name for cantrips? And if you're going to give them a fancy name, at least call them Orisons.

2) You have no Destroy Undead column on your table. In general, I question why a Cleric of, say, the Forge would have anti-undead abilities as class features... but's that's just D&D for you.

3) You might have a typo in Divine Domain. I'm unsure - you describe getting your Domain abilities at 10th and 18th levels, which aren't marked on the table.

4) If I'm reading the mechanics for prepared spells correctly... wow. Do you prepare spells from two domains and then add your domain spells on top of that (for six spells per spell level), or do you just get the two domains (for four spells per spell level). Either way is pretty ridiculous.

5) The whole class more-or-less peaks at 9th level. Apparently there's no way to get access to Cleric spells of 6th level and higher other than being a Divine Soul or picking them up through Magical Secrets. There are also a couple spells that are now inaccessible by any means other than Divine Souls and Magical Secrets, like Prayer of Healing.

6) What is your version of the Cleric supposed to do in a fight? I don't see playing a Life Cleric (to use an example that's heavy on the spellcasting) being very fun with 1-2 spell slots for much of my career.

*) I'm assuming you call gold coins "crowns" in your home games?

---

Overall, I'm a fan of the idea, but not the implementation. Your competence is going to be very variable depending on your deity, and the higher level features somehow feel worse than a Warlock's Mystic Arcanum.

RATHSQUATCH
2019-08-01, 01:23 PM
A few things that stand out to me:

1) The whole "blessings" thing is pretty pointless. Why do you need a fancy name for cantrips? And if you're going to give them a fancy name, at least call them Orisons.

2) You have no Destroy Undead column on your table. In general, I question why a Cleric of, say, the Forge would have anti-undead abilities as class features... but's that's just D&D for you.

3) You might have a typo in Divine Domain. I'm unsure - you describe getting your Domain abilities at 10th and 18th levels, which aren't marked on the table.

4) If I'm reading the mechanics for prepared spells correctly... wow. Do you prepare spells from two domains and then add your domain spells on top of that (for six spells per spell level), or do you just get the two domains (for four spells per spell level). Either way is pretty ridiculous.

5) The whole class more-or-less peaks at 9th level. Apparently there's no way to get access to Cleric spells of 6th level and higher other than being a Divine Soul or picking them up through Magical Secrets. There are also a couple spells that are now inaccessible by any means other than Divine Souls and Magical Secrets, like Prayer of Healing.

6) What is your version of the Cleric supposed to do in a fight? I don't see playing a Life Cleric (to use an example that's heavy on the spellcasting) being very fun with 1-2 spell slots for much of my career.

*) I'm assuming you call gold coins "crowns" in your home games?

---

Overall, I'm a fan of the idea, but not the implementation. Your competence is going to be very variable depending on your deity, and the higher level features somehow feel worse than a Warlock's Mystic Arcanum.

Before I respond, just wanted to say thanks for all the comments.

1. Orisons are for Druids I thought, but looking deeper I see they are used for any divine spells. Semantics.

2. I'll fix the table right away. Should have been a table there. Clerics above all other things have control over forces of life and death, thus why all priests regardless of faith can destroy undead.

3. Complete typo. I'll fix that. Thanks.

4. You only prepare and can cast spells from your domain, that's it. I'm trying to limit spells similar to how a warlock would be limited on spells, but also make which deity you choose really matter. Concerning 6th level spells and above, this is my bad and I left out the portion of this that describes that my setting is meant to be mid-level fantasy, so 6th level spells are rare and only gained through certain class features (like the cleric getting a limited heal or a resurrection spell). As you see the progression of a few of these other spellcasters (druid is next) you'll see I'm trying to balance them with one another...so sorry about that. See the bard I posted yesterday for reference as well.

Thanks again for all your comments.

Amechra
2019-08-01, 01:51 PM
From your document:

Prepared Spells
Unlike other casting classes, the spells you have prepared can be extremely different depending on the deity you follow. Choose two domains which are associated with your deity (See Deities section for which domains your god has). All domain spells associated with those two domains are already prepared for you and you may only use your Divine Pact spell slots to cast those spells. Spells beyond your current “Slot Level” are unavailable to you until you gain the proper level to cast them. These spells are always prepared and count as cleric spells for you.

I'm assuming that's a typo or a relic of an earlier design?

RATHSQUATCH
2019-08-01, 02:26 PM
From your document:

I'm assuming that's a typo or a relic of an earlier design?

It should mean that all domain spells from your two domains (so 4 spells per level) are automatically prepared for you, but you can only cast those spells. Some domains may overlap spells so that is how I justify a total of 20 spells known plus you lose versatility in spell options and I found in playtesting it’s fairly balanced to casters who get to choose from a spell list.

Amechra
2019-08-01, 02:49 PM
It should mean that all domain spells from your two domains (so 4 spells per level) are automatically prepared for you, but you can only cast those spells. Some domains may overlap spells so that is how I justify a total of 20 spells known plus you lose versatility in spell options and I found in playtesting it’s fairly balanced to casters who get to choose from a spell list.

But you just said that you only prepare spells from your domain?

I confess that I might be confused. I think a better way to word it would be something along the lines of:

"You automatically prepare the spells for your Divine Domain and a single additional domain belonging to your deity."