PDA

View Full Version : How to gain a bonus move action.

kentma57
2007-10-10, 06:43 PM
I am currently working on a Scout(base class) and because their skirmish damage applies to all attacks and shuriken count as different attacks the more I throw, while moving, the more damage I can do. The problem is if I full attack I don't gain skirmish, but if I can gain a extra move action my DM may let me full attack and move.
So if you can help thanks, or if you want to make suggestions for a Scout, go ahead.

Saph
2007-10-10, 06:46 PM
You could always take Manyshot and Greater Manyshot. Take a move action, then a standard action to shoot multiple arrows, doing skirmish damage on each one. Requires a heavy focus on ranged combat, though.

- Saph

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-10, 06:48 PM
Make friends with a Marshal or a Warblade/Crusader with the White Raven Tactics maneuver.

Take enough levels of Psychic Warrior to get the Hustle power.

Travel Devotion feat.

Guy_Whozevl
2007-10-10, 06:49 PM
Lesser Celerity if you can get it? I think there might be a Dimention Slide power in the Psionics Handbook. Also, I think if someone uses Baleful Transposition (or the friendly one, a first level wizard spell from SC), it should count as moving. If you can pounce in any form, that might work (using Bloodstorm Blade's ability to treat thrown weapons as melee weapons for certain purposes).

Nu
2007-10-10, 06:52 PM
You could always take Manyshot and Greater Manyshot. Take a move action, then a standard action to shoot multiple arrows, doing skirmish damage on each one. Requires a heavy focus on ranged combat, though.

- Saph

Yeah, I think Greater Manyshot is probably the way to go for a Scout who wants to get multiple attacks with Skirmish.

Dausuul
2007-10-10, 06:58 PM
Buy a belt of battle from the Magic Item Compendium. At 12,000 gold for three free move actions a day (or one move and one standard, or one full-round), it's a steal. Of course, your DM will probably take one look at it and ban it.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-10, 06:58 PM
Take enough levels of Psychic Warrior to get the Hustle power.

Or one-level-dip and invest in dorjes and Use Psionic Device.

Bauglir
2007-10-10, 09:04 PM
Hire a Marshal, perhaps.

BardicDuelist
2007-10-10, 09:29 PM
One level dip in Lion Totem Barbarian (Complete Champion if I remember correctly), taking the Ferocity variant class feature (because boosting Str and Dex is great for a scout, and it is an immediate action, which means it can bost iniative). More Hp and a boost for your Fort save. I think it is worth it.

Ferocity is found:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a

Alternatively, the Riposte variant is good for melee scouts.

However, for a ranged scout...Manyshot and Greater Manyshot are the best ways to get extra attacks. As far as actually gaining a move action: Marshal can get an ability that does this at level 4. I don't know how low of a level the White Raven maneuver is.

Darrin
2007-10-10, 11:11 PM
I am currently working on a Scout(base class) and because their skirmish damage applies to all attacks and shuriken count as different attacks the more I throw, while moving, the more damage I can do. The problem is if I full attack I don't gain skirmish, but if I can gain a extra move action my DM may let me full attack and move.
So if you can help thanks, or if you want to make suggestions for a Scout, go ahead.

You need a little Tome of Battle.

Sudden Leap (Tiger Claw 1 maneuver) can give you some free movement as a swift action. Jumping 10' to trigger skirmish damage is a DC 20, doable with the right modifiers/synergy, or DC 10 with the Leaping Dragon Stance (Tiger Claw 3 stance).

Press the Advantage (White Raven 5 stance) would give you two 5' steps and thus instant skirmish damage, but it takes a long while to qualify for non-Martial Adepts.

Quicksilver Motion (Diamond Mind 7 maneuver) grants you a move action as a swift action, but again, takes a while to qualify for.

Oh, duh... I forgot the easiest way. One feat from Complete Champion: Travel Devotion (doesn't look like it has any requirements). Move up to your speed once per day as a swift action. You can take it multiple times for more uses, or burn 2 turn undead attemps for another use.

Another feat, if your DM will allow you access to it: Heroic Surge, which appears in the D20 Modern SRD, one of the Star Wars books, and probably a couple others. Grants an extra move action, number of times per day based on character level I think.

Picking up the Pounce ability will also let you use skirmish damage. There was a thread on here recently on all the different ways to acquire Pounce (1-level dip into Lion Totem Barbarian is the easiest).

Someone has already mentioned the Psionic ability Hustle. Nobody has mentioned the Magic Roller Skates yet.

The_Snark
2007-10-11, 12:56 AM
A level in Master Thrower will get you the Doubletoss ability, which will let you throw two weapons as a standard action.

Other than that, Greater Manyshot, Travel Devotion, and various Tome of Battle tactics are your best shot.

Unless you can persuade your DM to let you play a choker.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-11, 01:02 AM
Darrin:

First of all, the magic roller skates are fracking stupid, and that comes from a guy who generally likes Eberron content.

Second, Travel Devotion is even better than that. After its Swift Action activation, it allows you to move your speed as a Swift Action every round for a minute, once per day.

Yeah, give that a minute to sink in. Feel its power. Let the Cheese flow through you.

Take a level of Cleric, and you can use Turn Undead attempts, two at a time, to gain additional daily uses.

And that's why all Scouts should worship Fharlanghn.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-11, 06:27 AM
Another feat, if your DM will allow you access to it: Heroic Surge, which appears in the D20 Modern SRD, one of the Star Wars books, and probably a couple others. Grants an extra move action, number of times per day based on character level I think.

Heroic surge grants a move or attack action a number of times per day and can also be found in Dragonlance - Age of mortals.

Armads
2007-10-11, 07:57 AM
The soulmeld Threefold Mask of the Chimera when bound to the crown chakra let you take an extra move action, at the cost of losing it the next round.

EDIT: A DC 40 tumble check lets you move 10ft with a 5ft step. Combine that with Press the Advantage to continually trigger Improved Skirmish.

Nebo_
2007-10-11, 08:01 AM
You need a little Tome of Battle.

Sudden Leap (Tiger Claw 1 maneuver) can give you some free movement as a swift action. Jumping 10' to trigger skirmish damage is a DC 20, doable with the right modifiers/synergy, or DC 10 with the Leaping Dragon Stance (Tiger Claw 3 stance).

Double the DC for a standing jump, so you're shooting for DC 40 with no leaping dragon, unless you're a golaith for the mountain movement.

Darrin
2007-10-11, 08:54 AM
Double the DC for a standing jump, so you're shooting for DC 40 with no leaping dragon, unless you're a golaith for the mountain movement.

I'd already doubled the DC. Jumping 10' is a DC 10, or DC 20 without a running start.

One of the problems with Sudden Leap is it requires one Tiger Claw maneuver as a prerequisite, and there are only three Tiger Claw maneuvers without any prerequisites. Wolf Fang Strike is probably the best to start with, but has limited utility if you're not TWF'ing. You can swap it out later or retrain it if you took it as a feat.

The Leap of the Heavens feat (from PHB II) would do the same thing as the Leaping Dragon Stance, and give you a +5 bonus with a running start.

Mmmmm.... yes, Travel Devotion looks very tasty. I'm a little puzzled it's not harder to get... 10 rounds of a swift move action 1/day? I don't have the book, just the description on Realmshelp... this is available at first level to anybody, no other requirements?

Curmudgeon
2007-10-11, 11:15 AM
A level of Monk and training time with a Sparring Dummy of the Master will let you change some of your 5' adjustments into 10' adjustments, qualifying you for skirmish damage on a full attack.