PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Masterwork Tool for Handle Animal

Michel
2019-08-01, 06:38 PM
I'm playing an animal trainer and looking to get some kit to help, Masterworks Tool looks good, but I really should be able to describe it as more than a widget. What are some good tools an Animal Trainer would use?

pabelfly
2019-08-01, 06:41 PM
Depends on the animal. Maybe reigns or a saddle of some sort?

heavyfuel
2019-08-01, 06:43 PM
Food?

Much like a Healer's Kit, you likely exhaust it after a number of uses. 5gp/use seems like a good guideline

AnimeTheCat
2019-08-01, 06:44 PM
Various different kinds of high quality treats.

Michel
2019-08-01, 06:59 PM
Treats are great, but the next Quest is taking us from from civilization (no resupply chance for a while) and a saddle is great for some of the animals we're bringing, but I need something more universal for the animals we'll find along the way, don't know what those are yet.

Palanan
2019-08-01, 07:02 PM
Maybe a whistle with sliding pitch, that can be adjusted depending on the species involved?

Vizzerdrix
2019-08-01, 07:11 PM
I think A&EG fleshed some mw tools out. Maybe a training whistle?

Michel
2019-08-01, 07:12 PM
A Slide Whistle does seem pretty good.

AnimeTheCat
2019-08-01, 07:20 PM
You could discuss with your DM about crafting the treats yourself to replenish. Makes sense that you would be able to.

Michel
2019-08-01, 07:27 PM
Sure, I expect just bits of meat, apples or grainswould do for that.

Bronk
2019-08-01, 07:37 PM
Training Treats are described in Dragon 334, page 87, and they grant a +2 circumstance bonus to Handle Animal. Although they are consumable, they come in a box that's good for one extended set of training sessions. Thing is, they're not described as a masterwork item, so when you come to a decision as to what you want your item to look like, it'll stack with these (as long as your item isn't also snacks).

Blackhawk748
2019-08-01, 07:55 PM
A whistle, thick gloves, collars, sturdy leashes and probably padded sleeves as well.

That should cover most animals

AnimeTheCat
2019-08-01, 07:58 PM
Training Treats are described in Dragon 334, page 87, and they grant a +2 circumstance bonus to Handle Animal. Although they are consumable, they come in a box that's good for one extended set of training sessions. Thing is, they're not described as a masterwork item, so when you come to a decision as to what you want your item to look like, it'll stack with these (as long as your item isn't also snacks).

The masterwork items grant competence bonuses, which wouldn't stack with those treats unless specifically called out as being able to stack with other competence bonuses.

Biggus
2019-08-01, 08:06 PM

Animal Trainer's Kit, p.28, and Animal Training Pole, p.35. Both give +2 circumstance bonuses. There's also an Animal Training Outfit (p.29) to protect you when training dangerous animals, but as it's pretty heavy and bulky it might not be something you want to carry on a long journey.

Michel
2019-08-01, 09:06 PM
Animal Trainer's Kit, p.28, and Animal Training Pole, p.35. Both give +2 circumstance bonuses. There's also an Animal Training Outfit (p.29) to protect you when training dangerous animals, but as it's pretty heavy and bulky it might not be something you want to carry on a long journey.

Cool, What book can I find that in?

KillianHawkeye
2019-08-01, 09:14 PM

Cool, What book can I find that in?

A&EG is the Arms & Equipment Guide.

Bronk
2019-08-01, 09:40 PM
The masterwork items grant competence bonuses, which wouldn't stack with those treats unless specifically called out as being able to stack with other competence bonuses.

No, they grant circumstance bonuses, and those do stack, "unless they arise from essentially the same source".

rel
2019-08-01, 11:53 PM
how about a stock whip

Michel
2019-08-02, 09:21 AM
Thanks! I think that's everything I need.

Segev
2019-08-02, 10:22 AM
And now I'm amused by the fact that a modern spray bottle would be "masterwork" in the psuedomedieval manufacturing D&D emulates, so having one of those filled with water to do a gentle "no! bad!" would probably qualify at least as a MW tool for training, and possibly giving commands to restrain bad behavior.

liquidformat
2019-08-02, 10:48 AM
And now I'm amused by the fact that a modern spray bottle would be "masterwork" in the psuedomedieval manufacturing D&D emulates, so having one of those filled with water to do a gentle "no! bad!" would probably qualify at least as a MW tool for training, and possibly giving commands to restrain bad behavior.

Ya modern masterwork kit: clicker, spray bottle, treat pouch that attaches to belt, and youtube on your phone for quick reference on specific behaviors!

I think over all Blackhawk748 has the right idea of it, though maybe a whip as well? What are you trying to train there might be some interesting and unique things for said animal we could come up with?

Vizzerdrix
2019-08-02, 11:02 AM
Ya modern masterwork kit: clicker, spray bottle, treat pouch that attaches to belt, and youtube on your phone for quick reference on specific behaviors!

On that note. Would a cell phone loaded with youtube videos count as a mw item for all skills? What would the price of that be?

AnimeTheCat
2019-08-02, 11:26 AM
No, they grant circumstance bonuses, and those do stack, "unless they arise from essentially the same source".

Oh derp that's my fault for being frickin illiterate lmao. I straight read that as competence bonus rather than circumstance.

liquidformat
2019-08-02, 11:56 AM
On that note. Would a cell phone loaded with youtube videos count as a mw item for all skills? What would the price of that be?

In what currency?

KillianHawkeye
2019-08-02, 02:29 PM

Well, of course! You have to compare saying "No!" by itself to saying it with a spray of water. That bottle is worth a +2 circumstance modifier AT LEAST.

Zaq
2019-08-03, 11:30 AM
Well, of course! You have to compare saying "No!" by itself to saying it with a spray of water. That bottle is worth a +2 circumstance modifier AT LEAST.

In Japan a week or two ago, I came across a bottle that says “spray water on your favorite things create a graceful air” in big cheerful letters on it. I feel like that would clearly be worth more than just +2 as it goes far beyond mere masterwork. Grandmasterwork, perhaps.

Couldn’t make the image tag work, but here’s (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j6spJGkSPLE_V5sA2OIBcSdo7h8blyx4/view?usp=drivesdk) a link to the photo in question. Not sure if even that will work. (Photo by me. I give myself permission to use it this way.)