PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Questions about Artificer and creating items

Lethan
2019-08-02, 07:47 AM
As the title implies, I've got two questions about how the rules work for an Artificer making magical items. If this has already been answered somewhere, my apologies. I've tried searching, but my Google-foo has failed me in this :(

First question are about making items with more than one spell - i.e. the Dedicated Wright Homunculus requires both Arcane Eye and Fabricate to make. Do the Artificer gets a chance to emulate each spell on each day of crafting? Or does he have to choose what spell he is trying to emulate each day?

Second question, having completed the Dedicated Wright the Homunculus can do the work for the Artificer provided the Artificer spends an hour setting things up and paying the gold and xp price for whatever is being created. Does the Artificer only get one attempt to emulate required magic (spells) or does he get the normal number of attempts - only lumping them all together in that one hour of setup?

PairO'Dice Lost
2019-08-02, 02:21 PM
First question are about making items with more than one spell - i.e. the Dedicated Wright Homunculus requires both Arcane Eye and Fabricate to make. Do the Artificer gets a chance to emulate each spell on each day of crafting?

Yes.

The artificer must make a successful check for each prerequisite for each item he makes. If he fails a check, he can try again each day until the item is complete (see Creating Magic Items, page 282 of the Dungeon Master's Guide).

Emphasis mine. The "try again each day" portion is referring to each prerequisite individually.

Second question, having completed the Dedicated Wright the Homunculus can do the work for the Artificer provided the Artificer spends an hour setting things up and paying the gold and xp price for whatever is being created. Does the Artificer only get one attempt to emulate required magic (spells) or does he get the normal number of attempts - only lumping them all together in that one hour of setup?

Neither. The artificer gets the normal number of attempts, one per day per prerequisite, not lumping them together.

A dedicated wright can perform the daily tasks related to item creation on behalf of its master. The master must meet (or emulate) all the prerequisites to create the desired item normally, and pays the gold and XP cost himself. The only cost a dedicated wright can help with is time.

Emphasis mine again. The item creation process is unchanged (including when to make all the checks) except that the artificer doesn't have to spend the time himself.

Lethan
2019-08-02, 05:47 PM
Thank you for your quick answer. I'm probably a bit slow, but I need the second one explained in more detail.
If the artificer fails the first check, when setting up the Homunculus, will be have to return to the workplace each day in order to make a new check? If that is the case, then it kind of defeats the purpose of the Homunculus in the first place. I had gotten the impression that the artificer could go on adventure while the Homunculus worked on his project.

PairO'Dice Lost
2019-08-02, 07:42 PM
The artificer doesn't have to do anything once the Dedicated Wright is working, but the artificer's player or DM still rolls one check per prerequisite per day because the DW specifically doesn't change how the crafting process works.

Now, you can physically make those rolls all at once if you want, just like mundane Craft checks or any other task that requires multiple rolls over multiple in-game days, but it can be important in-character for various reasons that those checks happen once per day each (for instance, any 1/day UMD boosts the artificer might have can be used on each check because they happen on different days, he doesn't know whether he'll make all the checks or completely fail one prerequisite until the crafting time is done, etc.) no matter how you handle it out-of-character.

Lethan
2019-08-03, 04:07 PM
Okay. Thank you for your patience and answers. Much appreciated