PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Building the most effective jump/climber?

Voidstar01
2019-08-02, 09:42 AM
For no particular reason I want to create the most efficient Jump/climbers I possibly can. So abilities to take ten even when threatened, added jump height, etc. are all as much desired as just stacking the most numerical bonuses.

What I've got so far:

Goliath(race)- can calculate jump distance as if you took a running jump from a standing position
Dragon wings(feat)- +10 racial bonus on jump checks and a 30ft glide speed + featherfall effect.
Peregrine runner (PrC)- at fourth level gain a 20ft climb speed, upgraded to 40ft at 8th, +8 racial bonus to climb, ability to take 10 on climb checks even when threatened.

What else can we get to make this even more rediculous for no reason?

liquidformat
2019-08-02, 11:26 AM
Raptoran(Race)- +10 racial bonus on jump checks and a 30ft glide speed + featherfall effect.

Dragonborn of Bahamut Wings (Race)- +10 racial bonus on jump checks and a 30ft glide speed + featherfall effect.

Blade Dancer (PRC)- 1st level +10 to balance jump tumble (increases to +20 at 5th and +30 at 10th) also jumping distance (vertical or horizontal) is not limited according to his height at first level.

Thief-Acrobat (PRC)- 1st level he can climb at half her speed as a move action without taking a —5 penalty on her Climb check and not considered flat-footed while climbing. Slow fall 20 at 2nd and 30 at 4th. at 4th level can take 10 on climb/jump in any situation.

Ninja (Class) - 4th always able to jump as if having a running start with run feat(+4). at 6th +2 climb/jump +4 at 12 +6 at 18. at 7th she can climb at her full speed as a move action with no penalty as long ast she starts and stops on a horizontal surface.

Corner Perch (skill trick) - perch in a corner

Extreme Leap (skill Trick) - if you jump 10'+ can move another 10' as swift action

Leaping Climber (skill Trick) - add jump distance to climb distance for round

Vizzerdrix
2019-08-02, 06:01 PM
Don't those mantis looking dudes get a big bonus to jump? Tri kens or something like that?

daremetoidareyo
2019-08-02, 07:07 PM
Dungeonscape monk acfs. Ape totem barbarian gets a clumb speed

MisterKaws
2019-08-02, 07:08 PM
Werecat. Dexterity to Jump and Climb instead of Strength and racial bonuses to both(+8/+4 respectively).

Also, search for the Jumplomancer. It's a build with a jump so long it takes minutes to complete.

Darrin
2019-08-03, 08:24 AM
What else can we get to make this even more rediculous for no reason?

Jumplomancer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=16918020&postcount=5).

Don't those mantis looking dudes get a big bonus to jump? Tri kens or something like that?

T'chub-t'chub (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18981080&postcount=23).

Jowgen
2019-08-03, 08:41 AM
As exemplified in the jumplomancer, you want speed, even though I think that build slightly misreads the rules on that a bit.

Every 10 ft above 30 in base speed gives you +4 to jump.

The best speed adding template is Shadow creature, as that gives you 1.5 times base speed.

The best item is the Rapid Wrath spear from Ghostwalk, which straight up doubles all your speeds.

Add another template or two, at least 30 enhancement bonus from some expidtious retreat/haste effect, and a few items for untyped bonuses, the quick trait, that one armor crystal from MIC that gives an extra +5 if you got a speed boosting item...

You should be able to hit 88 mph pretty easily. Then you're gonna see some serious ****.

SirNibbles
2019-08-03, 05:04 PM
Blade Dancer (PRC)- 1st level +10 to balance jump tumble (increases to +20 at 5th and +30 at 10th) also jumping distance (vertical or horizontal) is not limited according to his height at first level.

Don't forget that you get all your movement speeds doubled by that one level dip and you can take 10 on Balance/Jump/Tumble at any time. Blade Dancer is a great class for mobility builds. (Oriental Adventures, page 37)

Stoic
2019-08-03, 09:39 PM
Feats

Hardened Criminal (City of Stormreach) (requires Iron Will prerequisite)
Acrobatic (Player's Handbook)
Agile Athlete (Races of the Wild)
Leap of the Heavens (Player's Handbook II)
Leaping Climber (Complete Scoundrel)
Roofwalker (Cityscape)
Roof-Jumper (Cityscape) (requires Roofwalker prerequisite)
Climb like an Ape (Complete Adventurer) (requires Wild Shape prerequisite)
Mental Leap (Expanded Psionics Handbook) (Must expend psionic focus in order to use)

Hardened Criminal feat, take Jump as your chosen skill & you can now take 10 with this skill even when it would normally be impossible.

Jumping Attack Feats

Battle Jump (Unapproachable East, 3.0)
Leap Attack (Complete Adventurer)
Raptor School (Complete Warrior)

Epic Feats

Legendary Climber (Complete Adventurer)
Legendary Leaper (Complete Adventurer)

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-08-04, 01:49 AM
Dragon Shaman class (PHB II) or Draconic Aura feat (Dragon Magic), aura of Swiftness (Dragon Magic). Provides/increases climb speed (as well as swim speed, if you want to be jumping out of the water).

So much from the Tiger Claw discipline is useful for improving Jump, improved by improving Jump, or both. Leaping Dragon Stance is probably the standout, increasing all jumps (including vertical) by 10ft. Some others I've managed to find: Sudden Leap (boost), Claw at the Moon (strike), Soaring Raptor Strike (strike), Death From Above (strike), and Swooping Dragon Strike (strike). Most of these are using your Jump check to attack in some way.

Shaping the Pegasus Cloak soulmeld gives a bonus to Jump, unless I badly misremember.

Flying Fish Leap from Stormwrack lets you leap out of water without penalty (effectively +10), as well as letting you travel laterally while doing so.

SirNibbles
2019-08-07, 06:16 PM
I guess it should be noted that a lot of class features and feats regarding movement can be reproduced with spells (and therefore items).

_

Water Walk allows you to walk on "mud, oil, snow, quicksand, running water, ice, and even lava...subjects can walk, run, charge, or otherwise move across the surface as if it were normal ground." - Player's Handbook, page 300

A Ring of Water Walking (Dungeon Master's Guide, page 233) allows you to be continuously affected by Water Walk for only 15,000 gp.

That replaces class features such as the Cloud Anchorite's 9th level feature, Walk on the Clouds.

_

The 1st level Ranger Spell, Branch to Branch (Complete Adventurer, page 144) is very similar to the Brachiation feat (Complete Adventurer, page 106), except that the minimum height is only 10 feet instead of 20, you get a Climb bonus, an enhancement bonus to speed, and you can't run (but you can charge). The fact that both of these were introduced in the same book leads me to believe some of the differences (such as the height limit and the running restriction) were intended to be the same for both, but somehow it was overlooked.

_

Spider Climb gives you the a climb speed of 20 feet and the ability to climb any surface (even those which would usually require a DC 100 Climb check) as a second level spell. (Player's Handbook, page 283)

_

You can pick up a swim speed with the second level spell, Swim (Spell Compendium, page 217).

_____

Depending on what you want to do with your build, a lot of it can be done with relatively cheap items, or wands/scrolls if you don't care about always having the abilities. Fly speeds, burrow speeds, ability to ignore difficult terrain, etc.; they're all available via low level spells/items.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-08-07, 09:02 PM
Take your build as it stands, with all its feats, skills, and class features.

Find a suitable creature two sizes larger (or smaller I suppose, but that's trickier) than your creature that also grants a bunch of stuff useful for jumping/climbing (speeds, class skills, physical stats, bonus feats, spells/SLAs).

Use the Symbiotic Creature template to combine the two. The combined creature uses the host's speeds, physical stats, and HD (including skill ranks, feats, and class features as normal), but gains all the guest's class features, natural weapons, special attacks, special qualities, feats (as bonus feats), skill ranks (as racial bonuses), and probably a couple of other things I'm forgetting. +1 LA, applied to the host creature's LA (if it previously had LA -, it now has LA +1). Advances as the host does, so be careful with that.

Cheesy as hell, but lets you effectively squeeze two full Jump/Climb builds into one character.

Troacctid
2019-08-07, 10:08 PM
2 levels of warlock will get you always-on spider climb and +6 to Balance, Jump, and Tumble.

AnimeTheCat
2019-08-08, 10:02 AM
I feel like the Tiger Claw maneuver Sudden Leap deserves some honorable mention as it lets you jump as a swift action.

liquidformat
2019-08-08, 10:31 AM
Mantis Leap is another jump attack feat

daremetoidareyo
2019-08-08, 11:37 AM
I mean, we could crowdsource this. There's like 130 supplements, all on pdf, and we can just control F (for find) to find mechanically relevant references.

If there's 13 of us doing it, it should take like 20 minutes each to plow through like 10 splats. Copy (ctrl C) and paste them into a shared Google doc. Unfortunately we'll have to type out the page number and source.