PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next first subclass homebrew attempt.(paladin)

Avlaen
2019-08-02, 05:23 PM
Ill preface this that im new to DND in general, so be gentle.
So i love the idea and mechanics behind superiority dice and the abilities, and wanted to make a more martial focused paladin without having to faff about and multi-class, generally my goal is more options/cool **** to do rather than more power. and would appreciate a second set of eyes (especially as my DND experience is near non existent compared to probably everyone else here) as well as any ideas or abilities that would fit the theme.

Oath of the Order of the Wall - "Be the wall where none stands"

Level 3/5/9/13/17

Start with 3 superiority die(d8s) and 3 Battle-master manoeuvres at lvl 3,gain an extra die and manoeuvre each milestone (basically when you would get an oath spell, instead get dice/manoeuvres. less spell focused more martial focused)

Level 3 can replace Fighting art taken at lvl 2 with "Art of the wall"

Art of the wall - Can use a 2 handed/versatile property of a weapon in one hand with a shield, The AC of the shield is reduced by half, cant benefit from Great weapon mastery feat or great weapon fighting style.
(wanted the aesthetic of big sword and a shield, that would roughly be on par with the +1 AC while in armour art, magic shields will grant a bit more AC than the "Defence" art, but at the same time offensive potential is a bit capped due to no GWM/GWF)

Channel divinity

Recover half of your superiorty dice (rounded up takes a bonus action)
Or
fighters Action surge.

(option of long term sustain or a burst of power i think makes a interesting channel divinity option?)

Level 7 - Aura of the wall. - Gain temp Hp UP to Half of spell casting mod (rounded up) at the start of your turn.

(Wanted something defensive/sustained to fit with the defensive/martial theme,if too strong possibly only activates if you move half or less of your movement that turn?)

Level 15- Stone and mortar stance. Costs a superiority dice to enter, lasts until the paladin moves by any means. gain resistance to physical OR magical damage(take 50% more damage from the other type?),attacks of opportunity add a d8 to damage

(something to further solidify the theme of being a tough unmoving wall, unsure if it has enough downsides or even if its too powerful or too weak)

Level 20- Avatar of war 1 min duration infinite superiority dice?

(im drawing a blank on any other options for this, all the lvl 20 abilities seem really powerful for paladins, oath of vengeance/devotion/ancients are all very powerful seeming, but its unlikely our games will be getting to lvl 20 any time soon so the level 20 ability is a low priority.)

Will have 7 d8 superiority Die at level 17, Battle master would have 6 d12s (and one refilling at the start of combat if your out) so with the Channel divinity option to restore some Die, this oath should have more die, at least in an immediate sense, but they are weaker than that of a battle masters, which seems fair over all especially as BM will have more action surges, and they recharge on a short rest, where as channel divinity is once per long rest.

Addendum. The main thing i haven't really considered is multi-classing, as one of the main purposes is to not need to multiclass in order to get superiority die, and i dont have a super great knowledge of other classes, so if theres anything potentially busted synergy wise, either an idea of how to address it, or just be aware that this class is unlikely to multi-class.

If youve read this far Thank you very much for your time and (potential) insight, hopefully it wasn't too rough/bad of an idea. and hopefully this is the right place to post and ive used the right tags.
Sincerely - A big DND noob that is loving the game and all the potential ideas/creativity.

sleepyhead
2019-08-03, 05:07 PM
Would like to state it's been awhile sense I evaluated... stuff
Oath of the Order of the Wall - "Be the wall where none stands"

Level 3/5/9/13/17

Start with 3 superiority die(d8s) and 3 Battle-master manoeuvres at lvl 3,gain an extra die and manoeuvre each milestone (basically when you would get an oath spell, instead get dice/manoeuvres. less spell focused more martial focused)
This is fine. Do you get them back every short/long rest like battle masters?

Level 3 can replace Fighting art taken at lvl 2 with "Art of the wall"

Art of the wall - Can use a 2 handed/versatile property of a weapon in one hand with a shield, The AC of the shield is reduced by half, cant benefit from Great weapon mastery feat or great weapon fighting style.
(wanted the aesthetic of big sword and a shield, that would roughly be on par with the +1 AC while in armour art, magic shields will grant a bit more AC than the "Defence" art, but at the same time offensive potential is a bit capped due to no GWM/GWF)
This is cool. Brings hit die from 1d8 to 1d12.

Channel divinity

Recover half of your superiorty dice (rounded up takes a bonus action)
Or
fighters Action surge.

(option of long term sustain or a burst of power i think makes a interesting channel divinity option?)
Alrighty so there are some big boy things here, first bit makes you better then a Battle Master allowing you to make a couple more maneuvers. Action surge in my opinion shouldn't be here. It's such an integral part of the fighter that giving it to the paladin just makes the fighters look worse.

Level 7 - Aura of the wall. - Gain temp Hp UP to Half of spell casting mod (rounded up) at the start of your turn.

(Wanted something defensive/sustained to fit with the defensive/martial theme,if too strong possibly only activates if you move half or less of your movement that turn?)
This is cool how it is. Comparing it to warlock and the like.

Level 15- Stone and mortar stance. Costs a superiority dice to enter, lasts until the paladin moves by any means. gain resistance to physical OR magical damage(take 50% more damage from the other type?),attacks of opportunity add a d8 to damage

(something to further solidify the theme of being a tough unmoving wall, unsure if it has enough downsides or even if its too powerful or too weak)
This is fine, maybe want to give them advantge against being shoved at some point before this.

Level 20- Avatar of war 1 min duration infinite superiority dice?

(im drawing a blank on any other options for this, all the lvl 20 abilities seem really powerful for paladins, oath of vengeance/devotion/ancients are all very powerful seeming, but its unlikely our games will be getting to lvl 20 any time soon so the level 20 ability is a low priority.)
An idea for level 20
Unbreakable Wall
At 20th level, you gain the ability to embody fortification. For one minute you gain the following bonuses

• You have resistance to all damage.
• You can't be moved without agreeing to it.
• As long as you haven't moved more the half of movement speed within your last turn all attacks made against you have disadvantage.

Avlaen
2019-08-03, 08:04 PM
First of all thank you very much for your feedback, especially on the lvl 20 ability.

And yeah the idea is you get them back on a short rest like BM.

"Alrighty so there are some big boy things here, first bit makes you better then a Battle Master allowing you to make a couple more maneuvers. Action surge in my opinion shouldn't be here. It's such an integral part of the fighter that giving it to the paladin just makes the fighters look worse."

As for this bit, yes id get a few more manouveres (in the short term), but unlike a battle masters, these superiority dice remain at d8 where as a BMs goes up to d 12s, also at Level 15 Bms get psuedo infinite dice with 1 refill each start of ini if they have run out, and on the action surge front, i am willing to think of alternatives but on a channel divinity it is "worse" than a fighters, only get one use per long rest, and cant use the other divinity option, id like Something "bursty" so its a choice of sustain/recuperation and immediate gain now.

For stone and mortar, when you say this is fine, is that with or without the increased damage from the option you didnt choose?

As for the level 20 ability imma nab what you put thank you ;3

I was expecting more issues than were addressed so im happy with that atleast.

sleepyhead
2019-08-05, 08:20 PM
For stone and mortar, when you say this is fine, is that with or without the increased damage from the option you didnt choose?

Definitely should not have 50% more damage from the other source.

Glad to help! Been awhile sense I have done one of these balance suggestion dumps so I'm glad it helped. Probably a couple things I missed but nothing to obvious.